Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Chlorine & Ponds

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 10, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grob
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9404148

I'm constructing a larger pond and would like to know if filtering the incoming/new water is necessary since it comes from a municipal water source which adds chlorine. I've had people say yes, and others say no filtering is required due to the low concentration of chlorine. I usually have the typical pond plants and frogs. Your thoughts?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9404153

You can always have your water tested to see exactly what is in it, but I would filter the water. Not worth it to the fish and other living things that will be in and around your pond.

You have a couple of options and can either add a dechlorinator after topping off your pond or you can buy a filtering device to put on the end of the hose to filter out those nasties.

When filling your pond for the first time, I would let it percolate for a week or so with your pumps running and circulating the water before adding any fish. You may also want to add some type of enzymes to jump start some of the good bacterias in your pond. Not sure when you are/will be doing this, but the water temps need to be 55 degrees and above for the good bacteria to start working.

grob
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9408311

Thank you Carolyn22. I am aware of the Rainshow'r chlorine filter that can be attached to the hose, so I will purchase one of those. Any idea of why my pond does not attract wild frogs??? I only have water lilies, water hyacinths, and limited duck weed. Neighboring ponds do well in attracting wild frogs every year. I constantly check the pH, (make corrections if necessary), and the pond has sunny and shaded areas as well as areas for ponds to "hide" from prey. Frogs may seem frivolous to some, but I grew up with a pond in my parent's home which was always loaded with frogs, tadpoles, and the "music" at night.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9408360

We had wild frogs once upon a time and then they just ended up disappearing. Not sure if it was about the time the heron visited us or not. We do buy the bullfrog tads every year to keep the koi fry down. You can pick them up for about $1 or so a piece. I wouldn't recommend them though if your fish are small or if you want to encourage the fry.

I would also double check with the local water company to make sure they are not putting any extra types of chemicals in your water. I am not sure about some of the additives to the water, but I do know the filtering works for us.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grob
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9410524

Thank you, again. Since I get my water from a city water department, the department readily provided me with a "chemical analysis" of my water since my water "station" and well is about a block away. Everything's normal, but they do add the chlorine, not chloramine. Since I'm so close to the "station" the first homes get a higher blast of chlorine when it's injected into the water. Therefore, I've already ordered the chlorine filter for my garden hose, and an easy water "test" kit where you just dip a piece of analysis paper in the pond water and it turns various colors so you can match it to the direction sheet to check pH, chlorine, etc. I'm crossing my fingers on healthy water lilies and that a few wild frogs will drop by and stay for the summer.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9410612

Hardy water lilies are pretty much effortless - just make sure you fertilize them as they are heavy feeders. The frogs should come sooner or later. If they don't you can always pick up a few tadpoles.

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9417026

Rainshow'r chlorine filter says it's good for 20,000 gallons of water. $50-60
Anybody have good luck with that?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9417043

John

Haven't tried it, but it had 6,000+ reviews. Not sure if it will take the necessaries out for fish. Not sure how you can test it, without putting a fish into the filtered water.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9417156

Water can be tested for chlorine at any pool supply store. Never been charged for it yet.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
1:21 AM

Post #9417371

Good to know Bonnie - I didn't know about that.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9418215

I have a terrible time keeping chlorine count up in my pool so during the summer I'm at pool store at least once a week with a sample. Of course they love me cause for 44,000 gals. of water it really goes thru chlorine. I buy 100 lb. tub every spring and try to make it last thru summer. Son Jeff & husb. still want to make it into koi pond. I tell them nothing doing. Can you imagine what koi food would cost me if they filled that up with koi plus would take a ton of pondzyme. Don't think the filter could handle fish poop. Besides thats my cool off place after I work out in the heat and summers here are HOT.

Broke some records here I think today. It was 85 degrees. Crazy huh.

Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America