Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: Confederate Rose? Help.

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 7, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9404170

Hi all…I originally posted this on the plant ID forum, but thought that maybe this may be a better place… This plant (1st pic) was given to me by my BIL more than a year ago. It has not put on any new growth that I can tell, but is still alive. The second pic is one that he gave me a couple days ago. Says that it is the same plant. The first he called a Confederate Rose…Agave sp. The second he said is a pup from his original 'Confederate Rose'…aka. Agave sp.
So, my question is, What is it really…and is there possibly a difference in appearance and size because of growing conditions? And why has my baby in pic.1 not grown? After a year?
I did find Agave 'baja', in plant files, and it does appear to me to be what I have, in pic.#1. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! :-) Thanks so much for looking!

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 31, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9404287

#1 could be 'Baja' aka 'Confederate Rose'
#2 does not look like it. Whatever it is, it looks like it's growing in too little light (long leaves, stemmy, floppy posture).

CR is not a real fast growing plant and it's very small compared to most agaves, so don't expect anything dramatic growth-wise. Best way to know if it's just sitting there or slowly creeping along is to compare pictures taken at different times. At least that's what I would do. The bright red spines at the center are a good sign. Check the roots out, inspect carefully for bugs down there. Once these plants are established they're pretty steady, and they offset at a good clip, so there should be plenty of pups to play with down the road. Good luck!
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9404318

#2 reminds me of my plant A.parryi, this plant has longish leaves
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60642/

Or it could be A. parrasana but mine is a small growing dwarf agave
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59768/

What do you think?
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9404597

Thanks for your response! Baja_Costero, Great idea…taking pic's periodically, and checking out the root system. Might also be a good time to pot it in a Cacti/Succulent medium instead of a regular 'potting soil'. My BIL grows his indoors, so I'm thinking you're right…long leaves and floppy structure…to little light.
carpathiangirl, I sure do see similarities, more so with the A. parrasana.

Thank you both for your help, and it's nice to meet you!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2013
2:31 AM

Post #9405621

Neither are Agave parassana (which Confederate Rose was originally incorrectly identified as a form of)... more likely some form of Agave potatorum or a dwarf parryi but there has been much discussion as to what species these really are (see several discussions on Xericworld.com). But one thing was concluded beyond a doubt- not A parassana (which looks very different and is one of the most beautiful of all the Agaves). See the plant files under Agave parassana if you want to wowed by an incredible plant (few have the amazing leaf structure and symmetry of that plant).
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9405786

Thanks so much, palmbob. I was hoping that you'd pop in here and let me know for sure. :-))) BTW…Your gardens are exquisite! I surely wouldn't call it a 'catastrophe'!!! :-)

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9406407

As for that second Agave, I have no idea what species that is, though it does appear too stretched to be easy to identify. Nice looking plant, though. How stiff are the leaves (can you bend them without breaking them? that is a useful description as many agaves have bendable leaves while others will snap in half at the last attempt to bend them)
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9406697

Ahhh, Yes, the leaves are 'softer' than they may appear. Bend easily. I'll keep that description in mind for any future ID's. Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America