AuthorContent
popper1
Mulberry, FL

January 31, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9404207

Hi-

I am new to this forum and have 2 questions that I hope someone can answer

1. I recently got a large unrooted piece of Tephrocactus articulatus v. syringacanthus and am wondering how best to root it. I had a little problem with some rotting so sealed up the wound, after removing the rot, with a pruning sealer. Should I have the cutting just touching the media or should I bury a little of it? What is the best media to use? I don't want loose this, I love the paper spine cacti and this one is awesome.

2. Can someone tell me the name of this cactus in the pic? I friend had one long ago and I have never new the name and have not been beern able to locate one. I love the geometry of the spines and have always wanted one and would love to know the best place to find it.
Thanks so much-

David

Thumbnail by popper1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 31, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9404359

Welcome.

I have rooted a different version of that Tephrocactus. It seemed pretty straightforward. Best to start with an entire branch rather than a chunk, so there's less exposed surface area down there, but obviously work with whatever you have. Cut cleanly. I have never used pruning sealer, don't know what that is. Usually I just air dry big cuts or dip small stems in rooting powder (mine contains fungicide).

Bury the bottom about half an inch, maybe a little more. If the stem is very tall then you will need to secure it so it doesn't fall over. Use a very rocky mix (eg. cactus mix plus pumice, about 50% rock total) and start out in a relatively small container. Wait a few weeks to water, and then water infrequently at first (say every 3 weeks through the winter). Give good light but not lots of direct sun (a sunny windowsill works great). The cutting should be fully rooted in a few months, at which point you can give more water and exposure and move it up to bigger accommodations, as you like. When you see new growth on top, you're out of the woods.
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9404461

Your cactus looks to me like Pelecyphora aselliformis - very nice plant!!
popper1
Mulberry, FL

February 1, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9404581

Thanks for the info Baja, I don't think I have enough of the bulb(I don't know the used for each round section) deep enough in the media, which pretty much is what you describe. The sealer just closes up the wound much quicker, I have used it with other rootings.

Yep minime, that looks like what I want, now I just need to find one
David
popper1
Mulberry, FL

February 1, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9404596

Since I got such a fast ID, can anyone tell me what this one is? Thisis the other paper spine cactus I have.

Thumbnail by popper1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9404649

Same species, different variety: Tephrocactus articulatus v. papyracanthus
popper1
Mulberry, FL

February 1, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9404923

Oh, ok. So the v. syringacanthus is much large with the paper spines 6 or so inches long.

Thanks agaain mimime,

David

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America