We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.
Middleton, WI

Anyone know what species this is? Seen on Fripp Island SC.

Thumbnail by necturus Thumbnail by necturus
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking that's one of those tender Viburnum species that doesn't grow up here in chilly Ohio River valley conditions - something like Viburnum odoratissimum, V. tinus, or some such.

One of our fairer souls from the South should know it.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think its V. tinus.Take a look at Viburnum atrocyaneum. It's almost like a large leaved Viburnum chingii.

Middleton, WI

Hmm, I think we might be close but haven't found anything that matches it. Are there closely related genera to Viburnum that it could be?

Thanks

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

This plant also reminds me of Ceanothus. I can`t tell if the leaf arrangment is opposite or alternate on the plant above & I have no idea which Ceanothus do well in the east.

I honestly have minimum personal experience with many of these Viburnums from zones 8 and warmer. I've seen them in person from time to time (and in pictures like this), but I don't get to live with them.

One other species that I've seen in bloom in the winter is Viburnum obovatum, but I think it generally has smaller leaves.

Middleton, WI

Thanks for the ideas. I think it is some kind of non-native tropical plant. Which one... I have no idea.

Groveland, FL

viburnum suspensium.

And there's another one - I could agree with that.

Middleton, WI

That is it, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images