Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: ID this please

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RESORT2ME
BATTLEBORO, NC

January 31, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9404304

Someone chopped this back before we got here in May 2012.

At far right just below center you can see one dead looking stock. There were several.

I'm referring to the dark leafed (limb up the side of wall) and one running also across the picture above center. It is growing like mad but I find no flowers.

Shoots come up and are maybe 6' long resembling a rose bush, but no pickers of any kind.

There are stringy shoots coming off the stems similar to pole beans growing up strings.

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bryan3
Brunswick, GA

February 1, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9404595

It does look like a climbing rose, and there are varieties with few or now thorns, but I can't say exactly which without seeing the flowers. I'd expect it to grow quite large and eventually flower this summer.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9404945

Maybe Rosa banksiae. It's nearly thornless and only blooms in the spring.
nel5397
Groveland, FL

February 1, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9405280

it looks like a fortuniana rose rootstock that is often used to graft other roses onto.
RESORT2ME
BATTLEBORO, NC

February 1, 2013
11:47 PM

Post #9405593

I'll watch this plant for a season.
Thank you all.
RESORT2ME
BATTLEBORO, NC

February 4, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9408686

I've posted pictures of this plant that survived the freeze. They also may not give a clue, but you can see how this thing grew since May of 2012. That's when I discovered the chopped back canes upon removel of some horseweed.

Do you still think it a rose of sorts? If a rose, when to prune for the coming 2013 season?

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 9:35 PM

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME   Thumbnail by RESORT2ME         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

February 5, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9409186

Hi resort2me,
To me, this plant resembles a Buddleia davidii in form and the leaves. However if it is a Buddleia, also called a "Butterfly Bush", it really was hacked and seems like the plants beneath it are choking it out. (Also spelled Buddleja)
Buddleia davidii is a popular landscape plant, blooms in summer through frost at the tips of the branches and the leaves do persist over the winter in your area. It blooms on new wood, which means that you would prune it in very early spring to force new shoots, something that the previous owners might have tried to do.
Some of the cultivars are well behaved and some are rangy and sprawling. You could even have a wild-seeded plant, because it is placed so close to your wall.
Buddleias are considered invasive in some areas, and deer ignore it.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9431150

Nope, not Buddleia but still not sure if it's definitely a rose.

Try this, hold a piece of paper behind one of those shoots while you take the picture. I think that second shot could have been a good one if it was in focus. The paper will help with that. I think the leaves I'm seeing are divided into five leaflets. If that's the case it could be a rose indeed.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9431830

Pleasepleasepleaseplease...

Cut a stem.

Bring it inside.

Take clear photos of all its parts.

ID to follow...

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9431857

Are there any thorns on this plant? Another suggestion, maybe, Gelsemium sempervirens http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1262/
RESORT2ME
BATTLEBORO, NC

May 6, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9511302

There were two plants. I separated and transplanted them.

Looks like Yellow Lady Banks Rose, Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America