Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: windows 8

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 7, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9404456

Has anyone had any experience with windows 8? If so what do U think of it? Any problems?
Thanks for any help.
Dar

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9404620

Dumbest thing ever. Bought new laptop in November.
I'll sell it right now!
Very little use.
It's easier driving through a blinding snowstorm than using that piece of junk!
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9405132

It is certainly different. I started with computers in 1978 with the early radio shack TRS80 and have seldom been as confused and frustrated as Windows 8 leaves me feeling, but I'm determined to work around it and learn it.
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9406816

I've been using it for a few weeks. I don't like all those tabs when you start, so I deleted most of them. I just go to my desktop and work from there. There is a way to get rid of the tabs, but I haven't done it yet. I may change my mind and go back to it. The only one I use it the mail one. I'ts like my ipad mail icon. All my email programs are there and I just choose which one I want to open. I have different email addresses for different things I do on computer. One is for sending for coupons, or registering for contests, one is for my scrapbook graphics, and etc.
Give it a shot. You may end up liking it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9406883

I am out of luck. Do not do coupons, contests or scrapbook.
Only coupons I use are in house ones at the grocery. Kind of dumb, I ask why don't they just lower the price. People won't buy unless it's a coupon item.
Another trick at the store is "buy one get one free". If you keep track, 2 of an item before the "sale" are less money than when it's 2 for 1. Apparently most people are to dumb to figure that out. Even one store manager told me he don't like it, but the parent company is the one running the sales.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9407258

Actually we've loaded Quicken (home based small business), Microsoft office, and several other programs that we previously had on a Windows 7 machine. I put a short cut to control panel on the desktop also, so when we go to the desktop the programs that we run are there. I loaded Mozilla Firefox and copied the book marks over. Put it on the existing home network (two Windows 7 machines and the Windows 8) It recognized the wireless multi purpose laser printer/scanner/fax. So far about the only thing I haven't tried is loading the cad program I use for my business, but I'd rather get all the other items going, then loading my cad program will only be a trial run, as this Windows 8 machine is actually DH's.
Any change in the appearance and functioning operating systems as major as this one is should have been better documented, but once you get past the initial heartburn, it's functional. I don't give a fig about a touch screen, but if you have used a droid phone, it gives you a little insight into the workings.
grob
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9410520

I've used W8 for about a month. The initial adjustment is the greatest. No longer is the start/off button in the lower left, etc. You have to take your mouse and go to the far right margin and out pops a variety of options including a list of your programs/applications that you can click on, settings, devices, etc.
In this far right list of stuff, you click on the Settings title which brings up an option called Power which you click on and then you select to turn off the computer -just an example. In the list of programs or applications, fortunately, there's a Search box because Microsoft didn't bother to have anything to click on to get to the Control Panel. It's this initial shock that I experienced that was a bit confusing, but, actually, I adapted quite readily. One thing I don't like is that if I'm on a website and the website has a column of options on the far right, too often the W8 list of applications pops out instead of me being able to click on something at the website. My Office 2010 works well. I would buy additional/better software for burning disks, if you do that. I had no difficulty in adding a new 4-in-1 printer. I did have problems with my email due to a conflict between W8 and my internet service provider which the service provider quickly fixed. My old computer had crashed so I was really forced to buy a new PC and of course it automatically came with Windows 8. If the computer had not failed, I would still be using XP since it was great. This is my opinion and insight and hope it helps. I wouldn't change or switch to W8 just for the sake of changing to the newest.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9410544

I have XP on this computer. It has not crashed. Can I somehow transfer this to the new laptop & kill the Windows 8 ?
I've owned the laptop since early November & have less than 1 hour use on it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America