Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: 3 years no flowers?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 20, Views: 327
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 31, 2013
11:40 PM

Post #9404486

I purchased this plant 3 years ago at a plant sale in a 4 inch pot.
Was told by the vendor it was a shade plant, but because of his thick accent I really didn't catch the name of it and there was no tag.
I didn't fret over it and took it home and planted it, for the most part it is really sturdy, except it won't bloom, it trys but fails to push out flowers every time.
The flower stalk/stem sets but then the plant abandons it before actual flowers emerge, this year it has gotten it's closest to actual flowering, I can see buds.
I am reserving my excitment for after this cold snap we will be having tonight, for this might be the end of the flower stem (??) so I went and took pics of what is actually there now, hoping some one might be able to help me ID it, a bit more difficult with out actual flowers,but I can still hold out hope.

Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Click an image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2013
2:05 AM

Post #9404504

The bloom looks so much like an Acanthus which I'd say puts it in Acanthaceae. Take a look through plantfiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Acanthaceae/none/none/cultivar/0/
Rlalique
Bristol
United Kingdom

February 1, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9404528

Eriobotrya japonica?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9404537

That's unique and beautiful - hope you will post pics on this thread when the bloom opens!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9404569

Opposite leaves, so not Eriobotrya japonica. Sorry, don't know what it is.

Resin
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9404820

Didn't see it under the Acanthus and I looked at all of them that had photos, didn't realize it was such a huge family...wow! Over 400.
This in no way means it isn't in that family only that I didn't see a pic that was close enough for me to squint at and ponder.

We will give it a few days here and see if it catches someones attention then regardless "I will close it".
Wouldn't want any stray threads dangling about...LOL

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9404990

If some of those blooms open, that`ll help in the ID.
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9405208

Just went out and looked and nope not yet, not a single flower open.Too soon to know if the cold damaged them to the point of the plant abandoning them as of yet.
I did cover the plant last night, with any luck that helped my cause. As soon as I see an open bud I will post it for sure, your right this will really REALLY help!
Not to mention make me have a little garden party all by myself...me, the camera and a tall glass of sweet tea in the yard doing a jig of joy...LOL

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9405213

Reminds me of my "label danse" - while in a botanical garden trying to take a pic but looking for the hidden label, dansing around the plant.
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9406707

Oh I can remember finding a plant I had in a botanical garden once. I was bound and determined to find the name. Mine wasn't near as big as there's was and had multi stems, huge and lush I was all under that shrub trying to find that marker...I must have looked like a giant rat scrounging around. I was looking for a ground marker on a stake. I finally found it as a tree marker hanging in the shrub like a cockeyed wall picture. Got my pic and took my notes and was very pleased with myself...I found the hidden treasure!!! LOL
No flowers bursting as of yet on this mystery plant...the anticipation
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9406826

It looks like my Brazilian Pink Plume but with a purple flower. Check this out.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68086/
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9412684

Wormfood,
Anything is possible, I'm still waiting on flowers, the cold didn't kill it or set it back exactly but seems it slowed down quite a bit.
I go look every day, flowers are plumping...glad I didn't hold my breath for this, I don't think that shade of blue would be very complimenary on me as a complexion...LOL
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9412712

It really does look like something in family Acanthaceae. But probably not Acanthus nor Justicia.
I thought of maybe a small, blue relative of Megaskepasma erythrochlamys http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54077/ but such a plant does not seem to exist,
Good luck with your search for ID... I'm curious to know!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2013
4:00 AM

Post #9412790

Patti, could you take it (or email pictures) to your University horticultural dept. and ask?
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

February 9, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9413333

I agree that looks like something Acanthaeceous. I would not discount Justicia just yet; it is a huge genus with over 420 sp. Also consider Strobilanthes (250 sp.), Aphelandra (170 sp.), and even Sanchezia (12 sp. ). Trying to ID things in this family is maddening for me.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9413360

An open bloom would really help narrow it down. All of the mentioned suggestions are possible, except my comment about Acanthus. I was merely pointing out the bloom structure similarity for something I see locally, actually yesterday, in bloom.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

February 15, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9420544

any better pics of the flowers yet?
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

February 17, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9422273

I'm guessing in my excitement I jumped the gun a bit thinking flowers were coming SOON????
Whoops...what was I thinking? Here are pics from a few moments ago and here we are with another cold snap threatening the life of my buds.

Thanks for keeping the interest in the thread!

I keep waiting for the strong suggestion (demand) to close my threads even when I'm not entirely ready to close them for various reasons.

Again thanks for the interest and the good will for finding a proper ID within the DG group...I hope my next pics will be of at least ONE open flower.
Any day now (eye roll) sigh, this is like being a kid waiting for Santa :-)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 6:11 PM

Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Click an image for an enlarged view.

FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

March 2, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9436924

My camera is on the fritz...but I got an ID on it

Phlogacanthus Turgidus
(lavender bells)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9437122

Wonderful, Patti - I just added it to my 'want' list!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9437552

I'm glad you found an ID for your plant. If you get a chance, would you mind adding some of your images to the PlantFiles entry? Thanks http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/194257/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America