-
AuthorContent
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9404703

I guess Jim thinks he's got the day off or something so I'll get us started. I ran out to the greenhut and took one quick pic. There's lots more but it will have to wait. Meantime people with old and slow 'puters need not be apoplectic. We're coming from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292454/#new

This is Baptistonia echinata

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 10:31 AM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9404709

Here's the plant.It's a little one. There was a second spike on the other side that some clod broke of (that would be me).

RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9404720

Nice! Yours is way ahead of mine! :-)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9404960

That's unusual, Ursula. Seems mine are generally behind everyone's.

Here's a favorite. Lepanthes yunkeri. Thought I'd kill this one for sure but it's blooming for the second year. Beautiful leaves and those pixie flowers are so sweet.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9404967

This one has me baffled. This is the second time in bloom for Vascostylis Viboon Velvet and once again the flowers are non-resupinate. I forgot that the last time it bloomed it did the same thing. I can't recall whether all it was with all the flowers, like now, or just some of them. Need to find out why. I like the plant but this is irritating.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9404969

Dendrobium rigidum here. I've got two forms of this and the other is about to bloom again (it did last month).

I'm off by sundown so if I don't get back beforehand I'll catch up tomorrow night or Sunday.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 2:42 PM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9404997

Sorry I'm late but I went out to check with the local groundhog about the weather forecast and then remembered we have no groundhogs down here. So, I talked with an armadillo who didn't understand a word I was saying. Anyway, I say four more weeks of orchid blooms so Laurel did good in starting this thread and that little Batistonia with its unusual flowers is the right orchid to do it with. Sorry about the lost spike. I'm surprised Steve didn't get credit for that mishap. :>)

The first of three 5 foot spikes has opened on Schomburgkia undulata, now renamed Laelia undulata by some. I think the best description of Schomburgkias I ever heard was Kathy saying they were like Cattleyas on steroids.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9405007

Laurel, I just must show you this Cym. Leodogran 'Cradlemont' that you gave me a couple of years ago. It just keeps blooming and blooming. What a great orchid!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9405012

Speaking of gifts, Carol's Gerberara Snow Ballet won't quit blooming either. Another great orchid!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9405021

I love the gorgeous red color on this Potinara Elaine Taylor 'Krull-Smith' FCC/AOS

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9405026

Another orchid that won't quit blooming is Blc. Golden Tang. This is the latest spike:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9405056

There are seven flowers now open on Slc. Ploonpit Fantasy.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9405060

As long as we are doing red lips on yellow flowers, here is Lc. Gold Digger. It now has four spikes with tons of buds>

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9405067

Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' now has two spikes open.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9405073

Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars has a new spike:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9405078

Potinara Hoku Gem Freckles starts out reddish and turns to bright yellow. Look at this:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9405086

There are lots of blooms on Bl. Mem. Bernice Foster which I have mounted on a small piece of wood.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9405089

My NOID Catt has filled out nicely:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9405096

As long as I am in floof land, here is Lc. White Spark 'Panda'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9405104

Bc. Maikai 'Louise' AM/AOS is another one that seems to always be in bloom.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9405108

Then there is always Rhynchovola David Sander, now with only a single bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9405114

A whole row of dancing ladies just came through here.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9405139

Two of my Miltassias are still blooming. The first pic is Miltassia Aztec Toni and the second two are Miltassia Luke Skywalker.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9405145

Here is this precious little NOID Dendrobium that I just love:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9405153

Since I started with a Schomburgkia, it's only right that I end with one. By its new name, this is Myc. Mem. Louise Fuchs AQ/AOS. I hope this makes up for being a bit late this morning.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9405178

All good looking, Jim. The Cym. is really impressive! Mine were super neglected this past summer and are now in the recovery room. I have a youngish Epc. Rene Marquis x Pseudepidendrum. Slightly different coloration than yours. Another baby in a bag from four years ago that bloomed for the first time last year. Don't cut the bloom spikes on this one. They rebloom. This year there is one bloom on the old spike and a couple are coming along on the new one. This is the tallest orchid in the greenhut. A Schom. def won't do but they are worthy of lusting after.

Oh, and about the armadillo, did you try speaking Urdu? I'd loan you a local groundhog but the right of way mowers just finished up this past week. Our groundhogs are only good for Brunswick stew now. Have to wait a few weeks for a new crop.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9405216

Yum, Brunswick Stew! I wonder if I can substitute armadillo meat in the recipe? They are slow, dimwitted and almost blind. They do have a great sense of smell but can't seem to sniff out an 18-wheeler on the interstate. All that armor doesn't seem to help either. The good news is they dig up insects in the yard and garden. The bad news is they dig up the yard and garden. They also dig foot wide tunnels under the house. I've never heard tell of a gator eating one. The meat must be nasty. I'd better rethink the Brunswick Stew recipe idea.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9405368

Laurel, Don't blame neglect for the Cyms...Blame the screwy weather. Mine have thrived on neglect for mannny years, but this year they are pathetic. Our temps are still in the 40s at night, and the 70s during the day, so they still might send out more spikes.

Jim, Sorry about your Armadillos. At least our Oppossums don't burrow. I'm not going to try eating one in any case...or any other rodent.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9406420

Armadillos = Texas speed bumps . . . We have 'possums here too, Carol. They're almost as bad as the armadillos at crossing the roads. More meaty, though I understand.

Possum 'n greens is an old southern dish.

We also have wild hogs, a legacy from the Spaniards, I think. Farmers shoot them on sight, and a garden that is invaded by them can look like a war zone in one night. My neighbor tells me they are excellent eating!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 2, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9406444

We have some wild hogs here too. They live in the riverbeds and wreck the landscape of any businesses along the river, but this is Ca., not Texas, so ... Of course most of our riverbed is concrete. They mark the "wildlife crossings" under the freeways, but haven't figured out how to teach the wildlife to read, but we aren't alowed to kill any "wildlife". We have to TRY to contact animal control to relocate them. Much like calling AT&T...they've run out of numbers to push.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9406909

I had something bad happen in the shade house. One of my mouse traps caught a Cardinal! They weren't even baited so I'm not even sure why he was in there. My brother took care of it for me because I'm weak-stomached like that. It made me feel really sad all day. I like birdies.

On the upside, my little Onc. Tsiku 'Marguerite' is happy and smells good if you stick your nose right in it. Here's a picture of me holding it.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9406928

Carol, wish I could blame the weather but in this case it was neglect during the months preceding DD's wedding. The Cyms were put out on the south side deck and as summer temps ramped up I failed to move them. It was all I could do to keep temps down in the greenhut. Not only was that a problem but for the first time in years I had a scale attack that went undetected for too long and mealies to boot. The mealies were a new problem for me.

Pretty Onc., Melanie but you cut yourself out of the photo. lol

Lc. El Cerrito x sib. was a gift this past year. These can get quite a lot of flowers when more mature. It's going in a basket in Spring.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9406939

Vanda Boonchoo x Asc. Kulwadee fragrance. This candycane pink orchid not only has pretty spots but also has a great fragrance. Pretty sure I've got some babies to trade. If anyone is interested please DM and I'll send photos.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9406950

A a back bulb division of Dendrobium aberrans is blooming for me for the first time. This is from Gary and Mark at Marble Branch Farms. Very hard to capture the delicate flowers in a photo.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9406956

Ooh, Laurel I like your vanda. I have Asc. Kulwadee Fragrance #22. I always think it's neat to see the different crosses produced with vandas. When we were in Apopka I was looking through all of them trying to imagine what they would look like. Now that I know more vanda hybrids I'm getting better at recognizing them and predicting what they will look like.

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9406995

Melanie, just when we think we have the hang of orchids we can be surprised. I had not brought any orchids for judging for a number of months but brought two Vanda/Ascocendas in this past month. Look at the awards for Class VIII and the explanation of one I recently posted here. Here is the explanation from Mark Reinke regarding Ascocenda Udomchai Beauty. http://www.atlantaorchidsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-FEB-ATLOS-NEWSLETTER.pdf I also took second for the Vanda denisoniana x Ascocenda Suksamran Spots and learned this orchid has been registered since I got it as Ascda. Spotted Denis.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9407014

How neat! That must be part of the fun of hybridizing - you never know what you might get!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9407048

True. Suksamran Spots is red with spots while V. denisoniana is yellow. The cross is gold with spots.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9407165

That is a nice Vanda cross and a pretty flower on the little Dendrobium. I've got the guacamole made and the beer chillin'. Now if I can just find the remote.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9408107

OK...I am wayyyy over the frost every morning for the last 5 days or so...I'm ready for spring. NOW...

Laurel, I like the Vascostylis Viboon Velvet, had to go look up "resupinate"...LOL...

Love to have one of the pink vanda babies but doubt I have much in my collection to trade...unless your into something besides orchids...

and Jim that Bc. Maikai 'Louise' get's me everytime I see it.

We have Possums, Armadillo's and Wild Hogs...and a lot more as the farm backs up to 3500 acres of St. John's Wildlife management area.
Possums carry a virus that causes a muscle disease in horses, Darned Armadillo's dig up the garden and the Wild Hog's dig up the pasture...
Wouldn't catch me putting any of them on the menu for dinner either

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 1:04 PM

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9408121

Big ole white Phal is gearing up...

Rhynchostylis gigantea peach something ( tag's too faded to read the rest) Not too sure I like the fragrance of this one...and it's pretty potent in the afternoon when it warms up.

The one Floozie in the bunch, finally found the tag to this stuffed under the extra pot it was setting in.Blc mem. anna balmores convex
Dendrobium Blue Twinkle to the right.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9408184

Hi Everyone! Lots of beautiful orchids . . . I've skimmed over the past few months. Several are now on my wish list.

I'm months behind posting. Some of these have finished blooming, but still deserve their day on the boards, I think. Hopefully you'll agree:

Blc Prada Green x Erin Kobayshi 'Lakeview'
Catasetum pileatum 'Red Pena' (2 shots)
Chia Lin Shinsu #1, which was out for Christmas
Pot Marlene Lundquist 'Carmela'

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter   Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter   Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter   Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter   Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9408185

Here's another of the lip on Chia Lin 'Shinsu #1'

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9408207

Catasetum pileatum 'Oro Verde'

This just finished blooming. The blooms were about 3-times the size of the 'Red Pena' clone. Truly spectacular compared to the size of the plant. The 'Red Pena', however, was more fragrant, with a very unusual fragrance. I would like it to peppermint toothpaste -- seriously!

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9408216

I can't say enough about Blc Prada Green x Erin Kobayshi 'Lakeview'. Really green. Really beautiful. I waited two years for it to bloom, and boy was it worth it.

Here's another attempt to capture its beauty . . ..

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 4, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9408271

Love Blc Prada Green x Erin Kobayshi 'Lakeview'
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9408272

Like the Blc a lot, Pinetop. The Catasetums are knockouts! Mine are currently in the same state as the Cymbidiums. Run down and neglected this past summer.

Mjs, let me know if you have anything. There are three in the greenhut that will otherwise get sold at this summer's auction. I have hoyas too but only by default. A friend is a rabid collector. She kept laying cuttings on me from all over the world. The cuttings were put in old orchid mix and fertilized on the same schedule as the orchids. They wind around the shelves in the greenhut and bloom like crazy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9408325

Did you say you are looking for homes for hoyas? I have a couple and would be interested in adding to the family...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9408398

Even though I must admit green orchids are not my favorite, those two 'Oro Verde' and Prada Green are simply gorgeous, PtP.

Looks like you've been having too much fun with orchids since we heard from you last.

Some real pretties up there from you too, Mj. Love that peachy Rhynchostylis. What a bloomer!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9408424

Jean, I am not looking for homes for the hoyas at this time unless it's to swap cuttings of hoyas for divisions. I have occasionally swapped hoyas for orchids with two growers. I just don't collect/buy them. They were gifts. Ditto some orchids like Phals. Someone gave me a bunch of Phals that were being thrown out at a Trader Joe's. They are in rehab, but I don't otherwise grow them.
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9409307

Elaine, I HAVE been having fun with the 'chids! What is the name of that beautiful red Cattleya in your last post?

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Maypop, I am really liking the Catasetums. They are a type of orchid where I think, for the most part, the straight species are more interesting in shape than the intergeneric hybrids, which seem to "soften" the outlandish shapes. I am thinking of trying a Mormodes next. Any suggestions?

Here's Dendrobium Love Memory 'Fizz'. Bloomed in October after a cold snap. Now it's gearing up for some heavier bloom. A nice Trader Joe's find from a year ago.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9409346

That's a pretty Dendrobium, Pinetop, and I love the green Blc and the Catasetums. We've missed you and your lovely pictures.

I got a call yesterday from the Tampa Orchid Club president asking me to loan orchids for the club's display at the upcoming Florida State Fair in Tampa. She came over last night and I gave her 16 nice bloomers which is going to cut down on my posts for a while. She was very impressed with my collection as well as the OC. I hope we win a ribbon or something.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9409379

That's the one I got at Fender's closing sale last April, Potinara Fire in your Eyes.

It's a nice small plant about 9in. high, but with good sized flowers.

The other is Bc. Goldbrad, another nice small plant that blooms generously.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9409392

MJ, your pretty peach orchid may be called Rhynchostylis gigantea var. vivaphandhul or I have also seen it called simply Rhynchostylis gigantea 'Peach'.

Here is a picture of my Lc. Gold Digger plant with its many blooms. It is one of the orchids doing duty at the state fair.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9409402

Thanks, Jim. Lc. Gold Digger is a knockout! What a contrast between lip and tepals. That hybrid goes way back, does it not? It reminds me of Rosemary Clooney 'Nanae' (which was in abundance in one of the displays at the SEPOS show last year) but seems to have more heightened color. Of course, that could be due to your good growing technique :-)

Elaine, 'Fire in Your Eyes' is a beaut. I love Jewel Box 'Sheherazade', and yours reminds me of that, but with improved form and shapely lip. Very nice!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9409424

Jim your Orchids will now be photographed by thousands!!!! Hope they mention your name somewhere.

Well, what I was hoping was a bloom starting on the Vanda has turned out to just be new leaves. Opened the doors of the greenhouses today since nites will be well in the 50s for the long term. Will probably move most out of the GH and just leave them sitting on the still uncompleted sunporch.

Update there, our lawyer made contact with the Contractor & he yelled at her like he did us. So now 1st hand, she knows our plight. But, work should resume as soon as he "can determine how much work remains to be done".
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9409445

Good luck, Jean.

Hmm, Mormodes. They are nice too. Can't think of a special one off hand.

Good luck, Jim. Ribbons are always fun.

Elaine, I can't tell you how sad I was to hear Fender's was closing. I've known them (Susan) since I first started growing.

We are having company for dinner so just a few minutes to spare. I wanted to share one of my pride and joys, Aerangis citrata. The flowers are still opening, thus the spaces. It won best in class (Vanda) two years ago with five spikes and seventy something flowers at the Atlanta Orchid Society annual show. It has eight spikes this year.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9410217

Beautiful, Maypop. I've always found that plant and flowers very attractive when I've seen it at shows. Yours is really spectacular! Eight spikes! Wow.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9410418

That's really a lovely one, Laurel. I saw Aerangis citrata at the orchid show here in January, now I wish I'd bought it.

Yes, it's always sad when a grower retires, but Fenders have a lot of orchids with their name on them.Nice legacy! Pretty sure I saw Pot. Susan Fender 'Cinnamon Stick' on eBay recently. They were specializing in small catts, and the one I've been showing the last few days is a really nice size, about 10in. including the pot.
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9410445

Sundance Orchids seems to have purchased many of the plants Fender's had at the end. At least, they have a bunch of the hybrids I saw listed on the Fender's site.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9410487

Thank you much.

I noticed dendrobium lichenastrum var. prenticei is blooming today. There are several flowers but they are tucked between those succulent leaves making them camera shy. This one likes lots of light and stays in the corner, away from the overhead watering, 'cause it likes being on the dry side.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9410489

An orchid society member gifted this Dendrobium Tyabb two years ago because she was not able to bloom it. It had been in a pot and had no roots as well as scale. Since mounting it on crape myrtle, I've been nursing it along. This is the first time it's bloomed.

Edited to add this one gets the cold, dry treatment like Den. kingianum.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 5:34 PM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9410506

I like that Den Tyabb, Laurel. Very nice.

I was wondering whether to pot or mount this unruly Blc cross when it hit me; why not both? So I sliced a pot in half and bolted it to a piece of cypress, stuck some of the roots inside with a little bark, and wired the orchid to the wood. Tell me what you think.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9410651

LoL, I'm betting that rascal will still pop a leaf out the bottom of the pot within the year.

Those brassies are really determined to grow in every direction!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 6, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9410823

Been pretty busy at the shop, but have been peeking in. Great photos from everyone. Catasetum pileatum 'Oro Verde' and Lc. El Cerriti x sib. are on the wish list

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9411237

I agree with Ted, great photos everyone! Quite a diversity we have going this month. In my garden, the cattleya I've been waiting for finally opened. This is Blc. Mildred Hollingsworth 'Sun Bulb'.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9411288

Cleisostoma sagittatum flowers are among some of my smallest. Unfortunately the ones on top start falling before the lower ones open. The plant is a cutey though.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9411379

Very nice Blc., Melanie. Worth waiting for I'd say.

That is a cutey, Laurel. Good Growing.

I'm just back from a MG field trip to a native plant nursery and a botanical garden over in St.Petersburg. Beautiful weather but I'm tired now.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9413110

Well, we couldn't go sailing today, too much wind. So I am out hunting up flowers.

Bl.Yellow Bird going through its initial color stages, rose/ivory when they first open, gradually shading through cream/peach to yellow, then finishing orange. This one actually has a tag, so it is the real thing. Looks exactly like my NoID one, though.

Lc. Renate fully open. It's a little plant and little flower, much nicer than I thought it would be.

Big NoID catt finishing up with bright sunset colors.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9413471

Well, saved you from having to provision, Elaine. What's your boat?

This is really a non-spectacular orchid in flower but the braided looking form is interesting.This is Dendrobium keithii, a gift from Charlie Chapman this past November. His was in bloom at the time and it was a cutting so I was pleasantly surprise to see flowers. I gave some to those with us. Jim, I think you have a piece. Anywhoo...it looks just like Den. anceps, which I also have and have bloomed, but is not blooming this year. It is on a palm boot (thank you for naming that palm thingy for me, Elaine).

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9413579

This little pass-along Orchid has just started blooming and as I'm no Orchid expert, I thought I would post some photos and see if I'm on the right track with a possible ID.

I think it might be a Brassocattleya (Bc) Maikai hybrid. I've had another suggestion though that it might be a Brassolaelia hybrid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thumbnail by bernieh   Thumbnail by bernieh         

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 9, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9413630

bernieh, I vote for Bc. Maikai . My Bc. Maikai Mayumi is just a bit darker, but there are several named hybrids. I'll try for a photo tomorrow. Welcome to the forum!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9413652

Laurel, the little Den. keithii is really sweet. Our boat is a 50 yr.old Flying Scot that we race with a big group of the same boats over at the Sailing Squadron. I did do the "provisioning" before we decided not to race today - loaded a little cooler with water and two sandwiches!

I still have my variegated Phal mounted on a palm boot, but it refuses to attach. I keep tucking hunks of coco fiber around it, and it is doing fine, getting ready to bloom. But the boots don't seem to be quite as hospitable as something with a more rough texture. I'm thinking I might rough it up with the Dremel tool before I try mounting another plant to one.

Welcome again, Bernie (we met over on the Tropicals forum just now). That's a pretty little Brassie cross! They're my favorites because of the graceful flower shape. Is it fragrant?
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9413725

Thanks OCCAROL, I thought I might be on the right track with Bc Maikai.

Hi dyzzypyxxy, no there's no fragrance at all.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9414061

Well I've tried this 3 times this morning and have had connection problems so not retyping the whole post again..
Great blooms from everyone

Dendrobium anceps blooming here...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9414150

What a great specimen!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 10, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9414162

Blc. Mildred Hollingsworth 'Sun Bulb' is fully open now. When I bought it, it was a much paler yellow; I wonder if it fades as it ages? Also, my little tolumnia is hanging in there.

I was feeling kind of bummed since nobody in the shade house had any spikes or sheaths forming - until I moved one of my vandas out of the way. I found that two of my other vandas are about to bloom. They were just hiding behind bigger vanda. One got squished against the lattice so it didn't extend all the way like it normally would. The exciting thing is these are ones I just bought last October at the USF Orchid Festival and they're already reblooming!. One is Thai Goodwin Sunset and the other is Kulwadee Fragrance #22. I saw Thai Goodwin Sunset for $250 at the St. Pete Green Thumb Fest last year, but I bought it direct from the Goodwins at USF for $50. The wife said her husband hardly ever lets them go so I guess that's why they're so pricey. They're really nice folks, by the way. I hope they come to more festivals.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 10, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9414444

bernieh, Here is my Bc. Maikai Mayumi today. Jim posted his Jan 16th and his Maikai 'Louise' on Feb. 1st, if you want to compare

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 10, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9414491

Mj, that Den. anceps is really cool looking.

Melanie, some of my catts have more intense colors when the weather is cool. The flowers last longer, too! Mildred is gorgeous, anyway. Can't wait to see the vandas open!

Love those Maikais, Carol. Sure does look a lot like Bernie's.

I wonder if Jim's still having fun at the Fair - hope he survived all the deep-fried food!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9414498

Congrats on the Vandas, Mellie. Always fun to find hidden treasures.

Rhyncolaelea glauca is a small plant with a big flower. Perfect for the greenhut.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9414506

All flowers are now open on Epc. Rene Marques x Epi pseudepidendrum. The canes on this orchid add interest.

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9416340

I've been enjoying everyone's photos and haven't posted for a while since not much was blooming for me. It's been a very hot winter for us down here so I guess the orchids didn't get the memo. But I am finally getting some to bloom and here are some that are blooming today:
Photos 1 & 2: Den. Exotic Rainbow Maui Sherbert, This one is full of blooms and lots of buds still waiting to open.
3. Den. Anosnum
4. Onc. Genting Angel x Onc. Barbie Peaches. Mini oncidium (tolumnia).
5. Ludisia Discolor. I grew this one from a small cutting that I received from another DG member about a year ago and this is it's first time blooming.
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9416662

Despite the warm weather your orchids look beautiful, Chiquib. I always enjoy a Tol. from the Genting series.

I'm not doing a good job of keeping up with posting photos. The flowers are going before I have a chance to catch a pic. Here is Hawkinsara Red Devil 'Kosaki' with only one flower left.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9416666

Stenocoryne vitellina x self is a great golden yellow. Loosing flowers there too.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9416670

This is Cattleya War Paint 'Sun Bulb'. An eye popper without being floofy and not too many colors going on. I can handle this though it's getting big.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9416673

A very favorite is this Cattleya gutata x Cattleya Fascilis. I didn't think it would be big enough to bloom.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 12, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9416716

there all beautiful Laurel and yours also Chiqui.
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9416897

I am enjoying this thread very much, lots of wonderful blooms!

Laurel, the Dendrobium keithii is very interesting, I had to look it up. It seems it might be more manageable size-wise than anceps.
Besides Den. anceps there are also Den leonis and and the aptly named Den distichum with similar growth pattern and they don't take up much room either. I am growing those too. ( besides anceps) I find these all very attractive.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9416915

Thank you, Bree.

Ursula, I've read the same about Den. keithii compared to anceps but have had the opposite experience. My anceps is from the Miami house where I took a division in situ. The Miami anceps is a large specimen overall but the individual chains of leaves are much smaller than this keithii from Charlie Chapman. In fact, the keitii leaves are easily twice as big. I'd chalk it up to his FL environment but the parent anceps to mine is also growing in FL.. I am fond of both Den. leonis and distichum both of which are much smaller still.

Don't know what happened to my Rhyncholaelia glauca flower. It lasted three days and is folding inward. The petals and sepals have good substance and don't look aged or dry. I think it may be pollinated.

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 14, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9418640

Finally got a paph to bloom
paph hsinying x charlesworthii

Thumbnail by ted5310

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9418686

Beautiful Ted.

My DH got me a Smithsonian developed "Love's Patience" Phal for VD. Ordered it from FTD so I know it was not inexpensive. It is the worst looking Orchid I've seen. Even the big Box stores pull them off the shelves before they look this way. Not only are the flowers way past their prime (I can't even tell what it is supposed to look like), the couple buds left are too withered to ever open, & you can see where they cut all but 2 leaves off the plant. I told him I appreciated the thought but he needed to contact FTD and complain.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9418752

That's too bad, Jean. You're so right about contacting them with a complaint! Take pictures and send them to FTD of exactly what the plant looks like today. I'm betting they'll make it right. Here's the link to the page where they have it. http://www.ftd.com/smithsonian-loves-patience-phalaenopsis-orchid-prd/po19 Right below "CHECK OUT" is a Customer Service link.

btw, I give my kids exact names and orchid growers of the orchids on my Wish List. I send my daughter computer links. That way she just has to click, and I always get great orchids from growers in Florida (so the plants aren't too long in transit, either.) I also know they're not going to spend too much.

One other experience, phals really don't travel well. Give that DH of yours a Wish List!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9418830

I get busy for a couple of days and this thread explodes. Wonderful blooms everyone! I hope you keep them coming. I haven't had much to post as all of my bloomers (16 in all) went on vacation to the State Fair in Tampa. I went to visit on Sunday afternoon and am now worried they are not getting proper care. It may be the last time I loan them out like this.

One new orchid blooming in the OC is Schomburgkia undulata with 3 five foot spikes. Some now call it Laelia undulata.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9418840

Here are some pics of the Tampa Orchid Club's display at the Fair. It had to be an educational thing so they chose re-potting as the subject. Most of the orchids are mine but I had nothing to do with the display itself.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9418845

More Fair pics.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9418910

Oh, Jean, so sorry about your Phal. From what I understand FTD relies on florists that are more like franchisees so it's whatever the closest florist to you had laying around. Maybe next time DH can give you a "love coupon" which is what I get. It's either a gift certificate from a grower or a card with a written promise of orchid bucks for the next show or travels. This way I get to buy the best plants at the moment.

Beautiful Schom., Jim. As for orchids at shows...I never let mine go for more than a couple of days and never ever out of town with other people.

Although I don't normally grow Phals this one and several others were gifted by a friend as rescues last Fall. Only one has a tag. The problem is he drove around with the plants in his car on a sunny day and, as you can see in the last photo there are varying degrees of burn. I had to throw out at least half of the dozen or so plants he gave me. I'm part of a group that does food redistribution around the city and we sometimes get live plants being thrown out by markets.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9418967

Great looking Schomburgkia, Jim! Lovely Phal, Laurel.

Doesn't that make you crazy, stores throw a plant that's been grown for 2 or 3 years, just because they couldn't sell it before the blooms were finished. Such a waste of time, energy, shipping and money. Surely they could put them out on a clearance rack for a few bucks so that people would have a chance to rescue them.

Here's one of my rescues from Lowe's - it had one sad bud and a lot of limp, wrinkly leaves but bounced back like gangbusters! And Blc Richard Mueller with 7 little flowers now.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9418987

By all means, Happy Valentine's day everyone. I have another talk to give tonight but will meet Patty after for a nice dinner.

Carol and Ted, I went to Sam's Club yesterday to by grapes and there were none. First time I've ever seen that. Weather problems in California?

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9418999

I sent the FTD folks an email from their CS page. Not 5 min later they called. A new orchid is on its way. Hopefully it will be a healthy one.
I think DH got it because of it's name.

WM had a VD display of what look like healthy Phals today. Figure I'll go back tomorrow & see if they are on clearance.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 14, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9419189

We have had frosts in the grape growing areas, but I haven't heard of problems with the crops. We have lots of grapes in our local markets, but they're probably imported.
I bought my VD plants at the show last Fri.and two opened today.
Blc. Fritz Nichlaus 'spring dance' with the sheath just splitting, Milt. Lennart Karl Gottling #12, and Burr. Nelly Isler 'Swiss beauty'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9419248

Those are beauties, Carol, and what great timing!

Most of the grapes in the stores at this time of year are from S. America, I thought.

Frost up in CA Wine Country might be messing with the bloom season, though. I'll be unhappy if I have to spend more than $3 for DH's bottle of VD wine. Love that "three buck Chuck" from Trader Joes.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 14, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9419300

Thank you!
Yes, even allowing for global (warming? Not here!), and politics, most of our produce comes from either S. America, or Mexico at this time of year.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9419910

I always love your Miltonias, Carol. That's an orchid I've never grown.

This is Odontonia Debutante 'Oxbow', a gift from Steve Arthur of Steve Arthur Orchids at last year's show. Looks like it could use a little more water than I've been giving it.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9420116

I love everyone's Valentine orchids. Very pretty colors!

Not too much going on in my shade house. V. Goodwin Thai Sunset is about half open. The flowers aren't as big as when I bought it but I think that's because I don't fertilize enough. It's one of my bad orchid habits. Also, I included a picture of Paph. spicerianum. It looks like it will be a while before that one fully forms, but it's fun watching the process.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong         

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 15, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9420388

Lovely colour on that Vanda Melanie. That Paph bud looks to dark to be Spicerianum, im sure spic. has a green stem and bud which lightens as the bud gets bigger as it opens white and yellow/green, maybe it will. Have to wait and see though. It looks like a vinicolor Paph. at the moment.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 15, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9420456

Just tremendous flowers everyone. I really enjoy seeing the different types of 'chids in home gardens.
My garage set up must be better this year. Even with all the cold rain fog and whatever else Mother Nature threw at us some plants decided to bloom indoors. I have a few other dens and a Maxillaria cucullata in bud.
Den. Bill Takamatsu, Cym. Sarah Jean Ice Cascade, four spikes this year. Bl. Morning Glory or maybe Bc Morning glory. I see it listed both ways. ( My wife got this for me at the show Carol went to. I could not make it because of work, so she subbed for me.)Slc. Dream Weaver, a brilliant orange

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 8:07 PM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9420507

All lovelies, Ted. That Dream Weaver is a great color combination, a little spot of sunshine!
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 15, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9420520

OCCAROL wrote:bernieh, Here is my Bc. Maikai Mayumi today. Jim posted his Jan 16th and his Maikai 'Louise' on Feb. 1st, if you want to compare

Thank you for this OCCARL. I've taken a look at all the photos, and mine definitely looks like a Maikai, but doesn't exactly match the hybrids Mayumi or Louise.

I've had another Maikai bloom just this last week. It's a slighter darker purple than the first.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9420949

I'm really impressed with all of the beautiful blooms on this thread. Good growing everyone!

The weather was beautiful this morning but it is clouding up with a strong wind out of the north and temps are falling even in the afternoon. I just closed the OC windows At least I got some gardening work done before retreating to the comfort of the house around noon. I took Patty to the airport yesterday for a trip to Virginia to visit her sister and kids. I'm left here to my own devices. :>)

I found Ada Keiliana X Odm. triumphans blooming today.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9420951

Also opening today is Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'. The flower is very large on this variety.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9421112

I just finished covering up all my orchids so that they are safely snuggled in their beds. All the vandas came into the garage to hang on an old clothes rack. They'll be there tonight and tomorrow so I told them to all get comfy and be friends. Hopefully, the ones in bloom or about to bloom will stay that way.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9423810

I recorded 39 degrees here this morning and I could see no frost or damage to any plants. I think I'm fine. I've been suffering with the stomach flu so have not posted much. I feel better today and managed to eat normally. It just took all of the energy out of me.

My 16 bloomers have still not been returned so I have anxiously been monitoring new spikes. Just today Degarmoara Flying High is beginning to open.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9423813

The first of a large number of blooms on Dendrobium spectabile has opened. This is an incredible plant with probably 50 buds on it.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9423814

Dendrobium Chan Chao has a new spike.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9423815

A gift from Laurel, Dendrobium keithii is blooming but the flowers are tiny.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9423818

Encyclia Green Hornet is blooming as usual.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9423821

Gongora smaug (Gon. clavidora X pterodactyl) is dropping spikes out of the bottom of the plant. Soon the OC will be full of little pterodactyls flying about.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9423824

I have two Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' plants and this one is blooming in the OC while the other is at the state fair.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9423827

This last flower on B. nodosa X C. netrasiri waxy is a little faded but still hanging in there.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9423828

Look at the spikes on these Phaius orchids.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9423832

Laurel's Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' just keeps on blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9423834

I'll leave you with a picture of the landlord, who came to visit this afternoon. He likes to sit atop the fountain and make sure everyone is behaving properly.

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9423990

On V Day I was looking at all the V Day Phal's in WM. Stopped in Sun and they were all in shopping carts pushed to the side. Sales clerk told me I could have them for 50% off. Then she showed me the tea cup ones - flowers ~ 1/2". Decided I really needed 2 of them. The purple & white has 2 shoots full of buds. The yellow/green one had flowers & a few buds.

Noticed a small green shoot on my Catasetum last week. Yesterday it was 4" with lots of nice healthy roots. Moved it back indoors.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9424583

I just noticed Maxillaria setigera is in bloom.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9424684

Ted, the white Cym. is so elegant. Lovely!

Jim, I've never seen that Max. before. That's gorgeous. Your landlord looks like he means business.

This is Pleurothalis aligatorensis. The flowers are less than a quarter of an inch. There is color variability with this species. Many lean toward brown flowers. It is both a consecutive and simultaneous bloomer with no more than two flowers open at the same time. Several blooms are open now.

Edited to add this is my Mick Jagger orchid.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2013 6:43 PM

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9424690

A little Dendrobium Aussie Chip next to an even smaller den. aberrans.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9424695

I spotted Ascocentrum garayi coming into bloom and took a pic through the greenhut jungle. I'll photo it again when more spikes are open.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9424696

A NOID Cymbidium gifted by an orchid buddy.

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 19, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9424937

Really like that Maxillaria setigera, Jim and Laurel's friend Mick is pretty good lookin', too

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9425773

LoL, it does look like old Mick Jagger, doesn't it. Very cute. Love the pretty cym, too Laurel. Also that Max is a real winner, Jim.

I have a new bloomer, Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' putting on a big show. Four little plants in the dish have a total of 9 spikes so the show will go on a while, too! Yellow one behind is Lc. Goldbrad, also a generous bloomer.

New spike on my Bl. Yellow Bird opening its first flower. I love the different shades it goes through as it ages.

Blc. Richard Mueller is being cooperative, all flowers facing one way making it easy to get a picture.

Little NoID phal with 6 flowers open now and lots more buds coming.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 6:30 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9425839

Elaine, I wish I could grow them nice as you do !!!
I've been cleaning out area's around the barn, and sweeping yellow "dust" and my allergies are in overdrive.
So...I hope no one takes exception if I don't comment I'm doing good to post a comment at all.
But everyone's blooms are exceptional. Love them all, and Laurel, your "Mick" is too cute.
Good job and happy gardening everyone !!!
mj
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9425870

Elaine, I have seen and like that Howeara a lot. It's going to look really nice when it finishes opening. Also, straight Richard Mueller has been on my wish list for some years.

Jim, hope you are recovering and get your orchids back soon and in good shape. I would have sent a chaperone!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9425886

Laurel, I did but he died of a heart attack after washing down two corn dogs with a deep fried twinkie.

JIm
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9425931

Oh, right. It's a state fair!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 20, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9426017

LOL! Has it ever occurred to you that the only reason they have State Fairs is to thin out the population? You can do more damage to your health in 1 day at a fair, than you can from Thanksgiving to superbowl!.I sure like those tunnel cakes though.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 20, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9426072

Richard Mueller is going on my list. Just beautiful.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9427033

Our under the live oak tree, my bamboo orchids (Arundina graminifolia) are blooming:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9427037

Also, I discovered a blooming NOID Cym.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9427040

Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' has been blooming its head off for months and today, I found yet another spike coming. Thanks, Laurel.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 21, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9427136

That Cymbidium is awsome Jim, looks like it has tracyanum in it.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9427224

You may be right, Bree. Good news, I pick up my 16 wayward orchids tomorrow.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9427241

Wow, that noid Cym sure does look like the Sleeping Beauty cross we've been searching for!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9427367

Jim, I hope all your babies are in good condition when you get them back. Everyone here made it through the cold ok, and hopefully that's the last time this season I'll have to cover them up or bring them in. I went to the orchid society meeting tonight and took two of my bloomers - Blc. Mildred Hollingsworth 'Sun Bulb' and Onc. Tsiku Marguerite. I also won a little Phal. cross off the raffle table. That one will go in Mom's bathroom. She has all the happy Phals in there.

The Tampa Bay Orchid Society is having their show and sale March 1-3. Here's the link for everyone: http://tampabayorchidsociety.shutterfly.com/tbosshows I'll be going on Friday so I can get first pick, LOL!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9427394

Forgot to mention that Palmer Orchids is having their sale this weekend in Bradenton. They were at the Sarasota show a few weeks ago and had a good inventory of plants. I'm going to head over there tomorrow with Dad and spend some of my tax return money!

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9427415

Ooo, wish I could think of an excuse to drive up to Tampa for the show! I was really very restrained this year at our little Sarasota show, and am feeling like I need an orchid fix. Hm, the Palmer Orchids sale sounds like a possibility, though, and closer for me.

Everything is turning yellow around here, the cold was not quite enough to discourage the oak trees from their annual irritant dispersal. I have a little "toy" power washer, and tomorrow, I'm going out to "wash" my oak trees, to see if I can knock most of the nasty yellow stuff out of those tiny little flowers. At the very least, the fine mist the washer puts up gathers the pollen in the air and puts it on the ground.

Hm, I wonder if pollen has nutritive value for orchids? Any guesses? In the wild they are "fed" by whatever falls from the tree canopy, right?

Jim, have faith - the people who borrowed your 'chids for the fair display wouldn't dare return them in bad shape. They'll have wanted to keep them looking good right through the show, surely.

My little "opal" Spathoglottis keeps on putting up flowers, and Iwanagara Apple Blossom has two good looking spikes. Another fairly little plant that blooms generously.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 12:11 AM

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9427526

Elaine I'd need the Guinness world record size power washer here to take down the pollen. Allergies have been driving me crazy as I have to be outside so much of the day.

Melanie - just looked at the 10 forecast...another cool down next week...spring's not too far away is it ? None of my orchids are outside..except the Cym. Sara jean and she's hanging just outside the greenhouse door ready to pop back inside.

Nothing new here yet to show waiting of a few that are budded up to open.

Jim, glad your babies are on their way home. Was very generous (and trusting) to let them go traveling.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9427665

Yeah, when the wind is up there's no escape from the pollen, especially for you, with the St. John preserve right next door. Now, if you kept a row of power washers spraying 24/7 on the windward side of your property, it might gather up a lot of the pollen . . .

Same here, if the air is still, spraying the trees with water gives relief for a little while only. Neighbors all around have oaks, and we are near a wildlife preserve, too. Even though I just love having the windows open, we've been keeping them closed against the pollen and running the a/c fan for a while each day to filter the air in the house.

On the "up" side, the orchids love it when I mist the oak trees.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9427829

All 16 of my state fair orchids are safely tucked into their spot out in the OC. I think I hear sighs of relief from time to time. I'm looked them over carefully before putting them in their place. They must be hungry!

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9428044

Well, Dad and I went down to Bradenton today to take a look at Palmer Orchids. Very nice people and they seemed to know their stuff (as a newbie, I can't be sure). Here's a couple pics of their two greenhouses we went in. One is all vandas - I was drooling!

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9428052

There was one vanda that really caught my eye but had no price tag. But I asked and I received! It's the first picture, V. tesselata 'RF Orchids' x V. Mem. Lyle Swanson. I have another tesselata cross that I like an awful lot, too. The second picture is Ascda. Suksmaran Spots x Dr. Anek. That Dr. Anek comes up a lot in hybrids, doesn't it? I see it all the time, it seems. The other two vandas I bought were Ascda. Somsri Gold, var. Pachara, No. 2 and V. Lumpinee Red x Ascda. Tubtim Velvet (not pictured). That Pachara shows up a lot in vandas, come to think of it.

Of course, I bought a cattleya, but only one! I saw another lady buying the same one. It's called Lc. Featherae 'Mist Blue' (Lc. Canhamiana x Blue Moon). And because I'm nice I got Mom a Phal like she likes. It's called Dtps. Long Pride Venice Kiss.

Funny note - right now I have Ascda. Kulwadee Fragrance #22 in spike. I always wondered about the 22; like, were there really that many varieties? Well, today I saw #3, #14, and #21. So apparently there are that many out there. It's neat how they're similar but not exactly alike.

Melanie (who still has money left for the show next weekend!)

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9428059

Duh, I almost forgot the best part! They had bareroot cattleyas for as low as $5! So I lied, I bought two cattleyas. I got Goldenzelle 'Passion' for $5 and I got Encyclia cordigera (as seen in photo) also for $5. This is my first encyclia. I think I'm going to mount it on a cedar board - that should make it happy.

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9428136

Yikes, Melanie! You came home with money??

So jealous of your scores there, I couldn't get away today and am going sailing tomorrow, so no chance to break the bank, sadly! You certainly got some beauties - love the 'Blue Mist' catt. That Enc. cordigera is a nice looking division. I have that one and it bloomed for months last spring. You'll really like it.

Couple of new bloomers for me today, things are poppin around here! Cym. Kenny Wine and Onc. Ester Oka 'Lake View'. Ester hasn't spread out her skirt yet, but I've been waiting so long on those funny little stripey buds . . .

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9428184

Very nice picks there, Melanie All of those Vandas are outstanding and like Elaine said, you are going to love that Encyclia.

Elaine, both are nice and I agree that things are starting to pop around here.

My Degarmoara Flying High has opened up to allow for a better picture.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9429203

With all of my orchids back, I think it is only right to honor those with a bloom or two still attached. I'll call this "Ode to State Fair Veterans".

First up is Epi. Lime Drop X Epi. schomburgkii and a couple of NOID Dendrobiums: The Epi is now in the middle.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9429206

This is Vanda denisoniana X Vanda Udom Gold

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9429207

We honor them...I can sympathize...having done more than a few equestrian related exhibits over there...it can be brutal...
I don't miss it..LOL...
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9429208

Then Vanda Princess Blue. Vandas keep their flowers a long time.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9429213

And finally, Lc Gold Digger. All the rest had lost their flowers. Good job ladies!

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9429219

This afternoon, I've been primping three orchids that I will show at the Tampa Orchid Club meeting this Tuesday. One of them is my Dendrobium spectabile. I had Patty take a picture of me holding it so you could get an idea of size. Here she is:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9429223

The second one is Schomburgkia undulata with three spikes around six feet long each. Once again, Patty took a pic of me holding it. Note the star bursts to the left, right and above my head. This is one heck of an orchid.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9429225

The third one is the Gongora smaug (Gon. clavidora X pterodactyl). You can certainly see why they call it pterodactyl.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9429247

Still lovely, despite their trials and tribulations. Flying High has gorgeous markings, too.

Here I was this afternoon rolling up and stowing away all my frost cloth, only to come in and see a forecast for another cold blast next weekend. Arg.

Had a chat with my daughter, and she was laughing as she told me what her husband bought her for Valentine's Day - a blue Ti-Di Bowl orchid! We think he overheard us discussing them, and heard my scathing opinion . . . anyway, now she is faced with trying to grow a phal in Utah, no humidity whatsoever! I assured her that if she can keep it alive for a year she will be rewarded with nice white flowers, at least.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9431209

Where is everyone? I just posted the best I have and not a peep. Oh well...

A couple of new ones opened in the OC today. First up is Dendrobium Burana Green Star. Tons of buds on this one.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9431215

The other is Psychopsis Mendenhall, alba form.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 25, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9431297

It was gorgeous outside this weekend,Jim so out here on the left coast we were all outside. Great shots as usual. Interesting, a friend of mine has an academy vote and we were watching his copy of The Hobbit. Got home and there was Smaug.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9431356

Ah ha! Those Californians were outside enjoying the smog. Here in FL we are hiding indoors avoiding the clouds of oak pollen.This is the only time of year we have air pollution, and it's natural, not man-made!

Burana Green Star is really pretty, Jim, and the Psychopsis, well it just looks like a little fairy to me.

My Onc. Ester Oka 'Lake View' has more flowers open now, and so does the Phaius tankervillea - the Phaius has 4 spikes coming into bloom. Another great purchase from Charlie Chapman.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9431398

Nice, Elaine. I'll have to show your Phaius pics to mine. I still have huge buds and no flowers. Wait a minute, I just went outside to scold my Phaius orchids for being slackers and discovered Cymbidium Little Black Sambo is blooming. Several spikes and the first flowers are just open today.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 25, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9431461

Jim those are some big orchids you have. That Den burana and the black Cymbid. will look awsome when all the flowers are open. Love the pot you have the Cymbid. in Jim.
The Phaius will also look great when the flowers are all open.
Flooded again around us so we were trapped in for a few days but didnt get any water in our yard this time. good!
My orchids have been neglected as i havent been able to go out in the rain for a week or so, they have had to much water and i supose some are rotting. Looks like more rains coming. Bummer! No flowers here. Have 2 buds growing but one has died, from to much rain i think. Hopefully the other will bloom.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 25, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9431471

Ted, You must live on the good side of the hill! The wind took a roof panel off the orchid shack yesterday morning, and I couldn't wrestle it back on 'till late afternoon. Luckily, it ended up in the lemon tree, and not in the church parking lot. The 15 mph sustained wind it will take, but those 30+ mph gusts, not so much.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 3:08 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9431489

Jim - I'm just always so overwhelmed by your pics...I like each one better than the one before. I had started an "I need" list but then it got out of control. I just need a "blooming" Orchid!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9431565

So sorry I've been absent. I woke up this morning and thought I'd joined the circus what with all the juggling. Trying hard to catch up and make time for photos. Quilter will back me up...I'm working on a major quilting project, gearing up for the annual Atlanta Orchid Society show and sale, making travel plans for (further) down South and supporting DD with her first pregnancy as this is my nursing specialty. I've got catering work coming up in April. We've got our kitchen garden to get in at Maypop as that supplies us with food all Winter and then some. A clone would be helpful.

I'm scheduled to be home tomorrow. Hopefully pics forthcoming. Thanks to you all for the wonderful photos and chat. What a great group. No qualms about tooting horns!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9431644

Love that Little Black Sambo, and so glad to see it in your pics. I have one also, but it is not putting up any spikes this year. A plague of scales last fall set them back, I think. I have Cym. Sarah Jean with no spikes as well . . . =+( Will be much more diligent this summer.

Update, we just made a flying trip to Costco and they have gorgeous huge multi-spike Cymbidiums! I bought two, a big yellow one with 3 spikes, and a paler yellow with 2 spikes, one already open and enormous flowers. Will take pictures in the morning but I did snap a few shots with my phone of the display at the store. I've been hoping to see some ever since Carol showed that lovely orange one a month or so ago. (no orange ones here, I looked carefully) SSCCooooRRRe!

In the pics, the one on the far right in the first picture came home with me. Lovely pale yellow/green, white lip with a fuschia band!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 25, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9431842

I guess so, Carol. A little breezy but nothing of note. Nice phone camera shots, Elaine. Wonderful pic of your Onc. Ester Oka 'Lake View'

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9432104

Here are my new babies in the light of day. (although the day is swiftly getting darker . . very stormy out there)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9432511

Great growing everyone!

Jim, I've got that Vanda cross but don't believe I've ever bloomed it. I noticed it is in spike this past week. Still a long while off before blooms though.

Elaine, have you had success reblooming store or florist Cyms.? They are generally cooler growing crosses produced for the trade and under exacting conditions rather than the ones available through orchid growers.

Jean, orchids are tricky like that. They say if ten percent of a collection is blooming at any given time you are growing well. Keep buying.

Well, three of the four spikes on little Ascocentrum garayi are mostly open. Wanted to get a couple of pics while the flowers look good.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9432514

This NOID Tolumnia (I recall it's on of the Jairak series) bloomed several months back and has decided to make two new spikes. These are not reblooms from old spikes so a nice surprise.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9432517

Thrixspermum bromilforme has many spikes this year. It is a sequential bloomer so only one flower per stem at a time but it blooms over many months. This is a native of the Philippines.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9432524

Not sure whether I'm more impressed with the longevity of the little wooden shoes or the flowers on Pleurothallis brighamii. I've had this for a number of years now and it is looking like it might need a pair of new shoes. :) It is just getting going.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9432525

Another oldie in the collection is Oncidium sphacelatum. I split it off last year so not as many spikes this year.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9432527

Ascocenda Arthorn is starting to open. It usually blooms several times between now and Fall.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9432567

Lovely show, Laurel. Beautiful colors on those Ascocendas. Isn't Onc. Sphacelatum the one that grows to huge clumps? Jim and I saw one at Krull-Smith that would barely fit in the bed of a pickup truck.

Yes, I do know there's a chance that these cyms will have trouble re-blooming. I have a cool spot for them to hang out through the summer, and I water them with cool water. Then when the nights are cooler in fall I bring them out into the morning sun and I've had good growth of new pbs so far on the ones I got last year. One has rebloomed, too. Guess I'm just bloom hungry, since most of my orchids are still very small and a year or two from blooming.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:33 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 26, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9432604

Outstanding show, Laurel. Ascocenda Arthorn has a really nice color.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9432605

Jim, careful, those orchids will be able to carry you around before long !!

Laurel those little Jairak Tol's are one of my favorites.

Elaine, your brave with the Cyms. I'm keeping it with just the Sara Jean...she just put out a new and probably the last spike.

We got a nice soaking rain today which we really needed...Don't need the cold front coming thru this weekend tho...
Back in the greenhouse with the few things I brought out for a week or so.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9432725

I won the Member's Choice ribbon for the Schomburgkia undulata today at the orchid club meeting. I'm off now to do a library presentation on turf grass. Busy day. Nice show, Laurel. More later.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9433111

Way to go, Jim. Hope you got a picture of how you moved that huge Schom to and fro? You need a cover or a shell for the bed of your pickup. Comes in very handy for transporting leggy plants, this I know!

Mj, love the freckly phal, and that little Tolumnia has gorgeous colors. The white phals are elegant. I have a couple coming along, too. If it keeps getting cold every week or two, they're never going to open those buds!

I cracked a rib on the weekend doing some odd job in the garden, now I don't know how I'm going to get everything covered up in the yard, since it really hurts to bend over.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9433499

I took all the orchids out of the GHs this AM so they can air out before they need to be cooped up for a few days.
And I had to relocate the GH since the big oak has now lost most of it leaves. Leaves were getting burned on the orchids at the back (sunny side).

For anyone interested in the portable GH, Big Lots is having a 20% off any purchase sale this Sun. Just have to have one of their free "frequent shopping" cards. I have both the walk in & 4 shelf units & find both very sturdy for the price. Although in the large one I use the metal closet shelving instead if the light wt shelving it comes with.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9433583

Your oak tree will have leaves again in a couple of weeks, Jean. Mine's almost all leafed out again already. This is a month early for that to happen, I'm pretty sure.

Wacky weather, huh?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9433784

I am days away from having to put shade cloth up. The greenhut is in the high eighties to low nineties on sunny days and vents are having to be opened.

Elaine, those Onc. sphacelatums can get huge. I usually keep enough to make between two and six sprays of flowers. That's already too much space. It was one of the first orchids given to me when I rebooted growing so there's a sentimental attachment.

MJS, the Tol. is a sweetie and your white Phal looks like my blooming rescue.

Jim, big congrats on your ribbon. Geez, you'd think they would have a different color for a guy though. Just Don't wear it out. lol
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9433828

I agree, Laurel. What the heck am I going to do with a pink ribbon? Anyway, it was fun. There was an official picture taken but I don't have it yet. While at the meeting, I adopted 5 new babies:

The first is Epi. stamfordiaqnum, a species and in spike, See http://www.orchidspecies.com/epistamfordianum.htm for a picture.

The second is Bulb. Doris Dukes 'Joe'. Doris is the wife of Bill Thoms and they were both at the meeting. I couldn't find the 'Joe' variation picture but here is Bulb Doris Dukes: http://www.clanorchids.com/pages/hybrids/bulbos/bdorisdukes

The third one is Encyclia Lee Ward (adenocaula X tampensis V. semi-alba). See http://www.stpeteorchidfarm.com/plants.html ninth row down.

The fourth one is an old time Cattleya species, C. skinneri, in spike. See http://www.orchidspecies.com/catleyaskinnerii.htm I have always liked this orchid.

The last one is Lc. Eva and is it ever in flower. It is C. aurantiaca X L. cinnabarina 'poppy'.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9433858

I think it'll be a long time before I ever win a ribbon, but I enjoy showing off my orchids at the meetings anyway. You picked up some real winners there, Jim!

Looking forward to the Tampa Bay Orchid Society show this weekend! My wallet is on fire, LOL!

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9433910

Love that orange-red color!!!!!
Did discover some shoots so will hopefully have blooms soon. My Cat has a new growth coming up. Guess he is happy even if he's not blooming.
All my babies are back in the GH & zipped up for the nite.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9434016

Lc. Eva is really outstanding. Here are some from the garden today

Always love the Yellow Dancing Lady
Den. Sea Marion
Oncidium ornithorhynchum 'Pam's Special' So fragrant, kind of a vanilla and chocolate( new picture to come)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9434891

ted, they all look lovely but Den. Sea Marion is special. Is it new? What's the story with that one? Beautifully bloomed. I see you grow begonias too. They seem to like orchids.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9434895

Ted, very nice, especially Den Sea Mariion.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9435008

Thanx. Picked up Den. Sea Marion last April at a local show. It had one cane loaded with blooms and a second and a third smaller canes with a few. The larger cane decided in late July to put out three, yes three flowers. Have no clue why. Over the course of the year the smaller canes have grown significantly and as you can see all are full of blooms. What's also exciting are the two additional canes starting to grow.

And I do like Begonias. The one at the bottom and top right is Ginny and the one one the left is my favorite, Persian Brocade. I find Begonias and most of the orchids I have are very similar in there watering needs and sunlight needs. Most Begonias like to dry out between waterings as do most of my potted orchids. And both seem to like the shade cloth with some morning sun. Of course this is a generalization, there are always the Masd., Milt. and Draculas that like things a little more moist

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 7:55 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9435012

Ted, It looks like you ar on your way to a really nice specimen Dendrobium. Love it when each year brings big growth and lots of new spikes. I love begonias too but only have one...an eyelash begonia. I have been given begonia cuttings by orchid friends. They do fine when I keep them in the drier solarium but croak when I move them in with the orchids. Go figure.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9435190

I like that Den. Sea Marion too...

I was in Lowes yesterday and they had a bunch of the nobile type Dendrobiums. I was tempted but they had them all potted up in those fancy orchid pots with the holes in the side, which is probably a good thing as they were potted in moss. I'll wait and see if I can catch them on sale later on. At least if I do I will know what color it is.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9435458

Ready for Spring? Lets move on to March. Join me here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php#axzz2MJECUHXk
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9435605

Try this link... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300647/#axzz2MK2VbIuq
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9435636

Did I not link us correctly? Thanks for fixing it, Jean.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America