AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9405247

We needed Clear Alder doors for a project we are working on. Quoted $340 each from a wood store. We decided we could do our own.
We used 8/4 lumber for the sides & cross pieces.
4/4 glued up to make panels, then we took them down to " thick.
Pictures show us putting them together.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9405249

This bunch in clamps with glue drying.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9406107

Looking good
ayesha_irshad

February 4, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9407676

what would be the color of your doors... they are looking too dull

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9407807

That is raw wood. You can put any color & finish on it you want.
They will stained Black Cherry.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9407864

Your woodworking is always so beautiful.

I have a door question that maybe you can answer. I live in an older (90 y.o) house, that has a door between the kitchen and dining room. I would love to have a dutch door, or half door that I could close to keep the dogs in the kitchen when they are wet or muddy (I have not yet found a gate that will contain them). I don't want to ruin the door I have now, I would probably remove it and store it. If I were to buy a proper sized door from a Habitat for Humanity store, could I just cut it to the height I need and finish the top, or would there be more involved? Are door knobs and hardware always located at the same height? All my doors have panels, so anything I bought probably wouldn't really match. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deb
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9408167

Deb...
I would think the doors in your home are solid wood.
If ' Habitat for Humanity store' has one that would look good you could cut it in half or maybe a little more, put a small shelf on top to finish.
Generally the hinges can be moved to where you want them.
Doors sold by Home Depot ect are holly core doors, they also can be cut in half and the top finished as you like.
Holly core doors are smooth on both sides and have little wood inside, but they could be worked and do the job you want.

Let us know how it works out.

Dwight...pic from April 2012

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9408701

If you can find one, get a slab door. At a Menard's or maybe Home Depot, a slab has nothing done to it, no hinge cutouts, no place for door latch. A six panel wood probably match your old doors, & most likely solid wood. You could cut it off at the middle cross piece. Then put hinges & latch where you want it. A slab at Menards is in the $70 range. Less when on sale.
Deb, do you have a carpenter buddy that could help you ?
Good Luck.

Should add, watch Craig's List, some good deals there, maybe even a barter to do the work. Who knows.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 8:35 PM
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9408931

$70 at Menards doesn't sound bad, and, they seem to regularly have 11% off everything rebates. I'll have to check them out. I don't have a carpenter buddy, but my 28 year old son, does have the tools, he could cut it and get it hung, and I don't mind a bit of sanding and staining. You make it sound so simple. Thanks so much for the ideas.

Deb
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 26, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9432300

Still admiring your collection of clamps - some day I may be blessed with so many, CG.

Your workmanship is always outstanding.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9432383

The blue ones come from Rockler. The red ones are Bessy "H" series. Both use standard pipes. " & ".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America