Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Summer Brugs in Aus., Feb 2013.

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 112, Views: 1,025
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9405548

MUD ! ...lol and cold sprinkling.

How about you ?

An exciting month though as we await special seeds to germinate and join our other precious baby Brugs ...

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292531/

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 1, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9405571

Not a lot going on here.
My coldies are still looking good and should do well in Autumn.
They have Ys so maybe I will see a flower or two.
The warmies are looking forward to Autumn after the few days of heat we had.
Still a bit more heat to come , but not so hot here as further north in the state and around Melbourne.
FFA has Y'd and I am hoping to see flowers.
Clementine is looking much brighter after a good talking to and being shown Waynes beautiful new baby.
GHA & BB are putting out more buds.
Its all going to happen this year, I just know it.

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9406411

Ludger's seed have been sown
I had put my seeds in water for 36 hours (this is something that I do not do but I'm following every one else here )
I then placed the seed on sterile and placed in humidy crib for them to germinate
I have been spraying them every 12 hours to keep
Them moist
The amount of seed supplied is very generous and
Much appreciated from Ludger and Jean

Thumbnail by SolMan

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 2, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9406453

We lost 'Old Apricot' to frost (see pic in Huanduj) several years back. Here is a new plant growing, trained as a standard struck from a plant we shared.
LOL, sharing brugs brings good karma. :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9406463

Looking very pretty ,Wayne. I love the contrast of the pale & darker blooms.

I had to laugh at your description " trained as a standard."
Mine do that themselves , just when I want bushy shrubs.
I will let the brugs flower then cut them all back in hope of bushes...lol

Shaun, its going to be so exciting watching the aurea babies grow.
I just moved the last of my seedlings from last year down to the back shadehouse.
The empty greenhouse now waits...

Hubby asked why I was always moving brugs.
He had a good laugh when I told him they have to go from kindy to primary school, then high school, then get out in the wide world and do their job of flowering for me.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 3, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9407470

Seedlings tend train themselves as standards here, cuttings not so much but sometimes, depending what part of the plant they came from.

My Aurea and the sangs are all planted up, but I am off to bed now. caught myself a chill running around in the rain then getting cold.

Love your seedlings hanging upside down like bats Shaun, is that some new magic trick ? :-)

Glad to see Old Apricot growing in your garden again Wayne, every garden should have that one ! I agree if you share, your Brugs come back to you if you lose them. A couple of stunning beauties were lost over the pond in a big freeze, now they are gone forever, very sad to see that happen.
Wayne more pics of your pretty new double pretty please.

They say the heat is coming back ...we will see what happens, our newest babies need to put on some good roots before Winter.

bye for now ...go you dear little seeds go !

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 1:37 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9409858

Sorry guys just popped in to say I have vertigo, back when it goes away. Always get it when I have a chill.

back in a day or two.

waving !
chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 6, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9410816

Take care Chrissy.
W.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 6, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9410819

Silly me forgot to sened you a get well bunch of flowers...
Here you go! :)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9412617

Hi there all,
It's been so quiet in the garden with all the plants just crazing along with the odd bloom here & there
It dose however look like I have red spider mites for the 3rd time since spring once I get rid of them and think thank (him) there gone there right back doing what I don't want them to do.
I do on the other hand have a number of plants with buds on them and if I get the spray to my plants in the next few days I may still have buds to work with

I do have about 10 plants from seed that have also 'Y' and look really great should have some good baby bloomers soon.
I have a number of the cold group that have 'Y' and waiting for the cooler weather for them to show me what they have to offer, but I will be throwing them out as soon as they have bloomed as they have a virus and don't look the best or it could be that they just don't like the heat from Melbourne

Seed from Ludger, I have 3 different varieties up at the moment but Schlossburg is the quickest one to pop. HOW ARE YOURS GOING..???

Hope all are well and the weather is not playing havoc with you're garden as it is with mine

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9412664

Hi Shaun, good to hear all your news.
I am starting to feel human again, ditto here in my garden.

Nothing much to report re the Ludger seeds because I received mine a week later than you.Soaked them over 2 days so probably almost 10 days later than everyone else. Alistair's seedlings are doing very well.

Some of my seedlings from over the pond seem very strong, but of course the Aussie ones are much more vigorous, probably due to the freshness. The Culebra ones are a bit slower, but I expected that, they are healthy though.

Most of us will see the flushes starting in March if the weather Allows, that will be the time to start thinking of pods if you want them this year.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9412666

Oops I forgot to thank you for the bunch of flowers Wayne ...er kind of transparent LOL ! but I bet they are pretty !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 8, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9412676

I had red spider for the first time ever, this year...sprayed them with Eco oil and it seems to have stopped them..
I'm only going to grow the Schlossburg x pink aurea seeds, Shaun...
The others can wait until Spring...I will watch everyone else grow them until then...

Clementine is still flowering and taking the heat very well...since I took it out of the pot, it has excelled itself..
No red spider on Brugs in the ground only the ones in pots, so they must be stressed...no wonder with this crazy weather...

Alistair's little crosses are slowing at the moment, because I transplanted them, but the seeds are still germinating in the spaghnum moss..
I culled them to keep the strongest, and they keep coming thru...
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9412786

Shaun, I have been using Yates Mavrick spray on the spider mites. It seems to do the best job .
I have not had the infestations as bad as I have had before.
I could not find the Rogor that Maurice mentioned, so will stick to alternating the Mavrick with eucalyptus oil in water or Neem Oil .
My brugs are looking very good considering the weird weather and I put it down to the fertliser mix I am using.
Roll on Autumn...
Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 9, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9413811

Chrissy, here is the first bloom on your 'Glasshouse Angel' x 'Butter Bomb'. There a a couple more buds to open. It has an aurea scent as expected. As you can see, a squat five pointed bloom, about 200 mm.

Storm just arriving...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9413823

Awwww poor little thing Wayne ...sorry it isn't a beauty for you, thank you for posting the pics. What with all the lovelies coming through, that one is a poor little plain Jane.

Good luck with those mites everyone I don't seem to have that problem, but the tiny green grubs are out in force right now. watch those Brug babies everyone.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9413834

Wayne I like the cross sham about this one I do like the inflated tub just outside of the calyx
I'm sure there will be many more to be composted in the next 12 months

Sprayed the yard and it took 2 days about 6 hours but all done and Shaun is a little happier now

Wayne do you or Chrissy put these seedlings in to the seedling database @ BGI so that many of us can have a reference to the cross and what come of them weather good bad or indifferent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2013
10:35 PM

Post #9414913

I lost some of my seedling pics Shaun, so not all reached the data base, but they will as they bloom again.

Wayne said he was thinking of joining BGI again so I am leaving his lovelies to him re the data base, unless he gets too busy and wants me to do it for him.

It suddenly feels like Autumn here ... or at least the garden thinks it is arriving early, the Persimmons are colouring up etc.
Thank goodness, at last some buds are looking like they will hold now the weather is milder and after the rain. All we have to do now is keep the munchers off them.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9415877

Wow what a difference some milder wet nights make !
Suddenly buds all over the place ! almost overnight I can see new ones just since yesterday ...love it !

Quietly excited !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 11, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9416132

Me too...lots of first flowerers and some that bloomed for the first time in late Autumn..
Now!! if only the wind would drop and the weather stay kind...

Bruce's Pink has been at a nice manageable height for a couple of years...now it's shot up to about 12 ft...at least it's got a wide canopy as well as this new growth,

Oh well, I'll go back to gazing at all these half opened buds, one in particular is a cross of Angels Swingtime x Angels Exotic...the mind boggles when you think of what could be in that bud...there are about 10 of them swinging around in the wind...luckily the leaves up there, are really burnt and skimpy, so there is nothing to damage the buds, just the danger of the wind blowing them off...

Guess who this is...as if you didn't know...told you it was happier in the garden...
Yes it is Clementine..at the moment along with Ivoire it's the only one in flower...

Can't wait to see all of our old favourites on here again, I've missed seeing all the pics, it's been so quiet...
Dianne..

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9416249

That cross sounds exciting Dianne, fingers crossed for you !

Clementine is a treasure always, even in her sometimes wrinkly Spring dress, I still love her.

Yes I have been missing the usual show so much too. After that Big Heat I thought some might die, some of the German ones looked like dead sticks, but as far as I can see most are sprouting again, though I don't know if they will flush this Autumn or not.
If the Winter is mild we will get some flowers then probably. Too much rain means some funny calyx dramas so if anyone has flooded pinch off those tips to let the water out (if you can reach them ).

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 4:41 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9418367

Happy Valentines Day !

Watching the tiny mounds starting to build up, should only be a couple of days before I see some little babies from Germany !
A lovely sight !

:-)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 13, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9418370

'Old Apricot' x 'Butter Bomb' seedling (Chrissy). This is the second flush, plant in 300 mm pot. Good scent - aurea. Blooms hold well. Darker in colour and larger than 'Old Apricot'.
This plant needs to grow in the ground to see if it has the huge, recurrent flushes that 'Old Apricot' has.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 13, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9418373

'Mea Culpa' x 'Alphonse Mucha' - lol, I am a grandfather! :)
Huge blooms!
Sent much like 'Alphonse Mucha'.
Growing in a 300 mm pot.
I am disappointed with the colour.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9418414

I really like the Old Apricot x Butter Bomb ! I hope it has the big flushes of it's mother ...sounds like it carried dad's perfume more than mum's. Just remember the days when the thought of the lovely Old Apricot with an Aurea fragrance would have been like winning the lotto, oh boy have we come a long ways since then ! I Hope it will be special, like both the parents are. Is the bloom strong ?

Don't be too unhappy about your grandbaby seedling ...AM turns an amazing colour at certain times. You need to watch for all 4 seasons. Does it smell lovely ? as strong as AM. Milky Honey ?

Congratulations ! and thankyou for showing us. :-)

I hope you don't mind ...I borrowed your Picture to show baby then the proud mum and daddy !

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 13, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9418453

Thanks Chrissy, and happy St. V's Day to you too! The 'Twilight Time' couple loved your pic! :)

Did I send you any of your OA x BB? I know, I should keep a record.

It is a lovely bloom, and holds well. I will never be without 'Old Apricot' growing in our garden. However, I wonder about this one in that the bloom is so good. Time will tell.
BTW... a noid pod hangs there on this plant!
I am disgraceful... one or two seeds to plant from this pod! :)

As for my 'Mea Culpa' x 'Alphonse Mucha'...
Next to 'Poison' I have never seen such a big bloom!
I don't know about keeping this.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9420207

I don't think so Wayne, but when that grows up enough to share, I would love a little bit, the big white one too, just purely out of curiosity.

I am enjoying the milder conditions ...the Brugs are too.
Went to take pictures of Ivoire and Tintarella ...camera battery is flat.
Must go do other stuff now, maybe pics a bit later.
Enjoy the weekend everyone ...lots to look forward to huh ?

Autumn dead ahead ! whoo hoo :-)

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9420227

Finally, things are moving in the garden despite the awful heat.
I have buds on Sweet Jaffa , BB, GHA, Clementine, Mango Cornet and Shauns lovely DRC..

I am hoping all the buds hang on as we are in for a week of very hot weather.
FFA has grown like Jacks beanstalk. May have taken him a while to start, but hes making up for ti now.

All the brugs out under the ash tree are doing very well. The shadecloth fence keeps the wind down a bit and they get the morning sun.
I am sure they have all grown a foot since moving there.

Sad to say, the buds on the coldies dropped off in the heat, but more will come now they have started.

Wayne , lovely blooms. I like the OA x BB . very nice shape.
The GHA x BB looks nice but it seems the flower could not decide which parent it wanted to be like...lol

Dianne, I am hoping Clementine behaves herself here this year.

I took a cutting of Mango Cornet and it has a bud already after only a month . I do love MC.

Better go and water a few more pots
Getting hot out there now.

hug all those bruggies.
Jean.

pic 1 ..2...&.. 3...DRC
pic 4... some of my German seeds at last.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9420239

ooops, forgot to add the pic of FFA... the giant in the middle and way above the 6' shadehouse..

brug on the right is Senorita Rosada and the one on the left is Sweet Jaffa.

Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9420502

Jean Congratulations on your little seedlings making their debut ! great excitement !

Wow your Fire fighter Angel is taking after the Mother plant in size, it must have been a trunk cutting, you should get a nice flush out of that one, looking at the size. Fingers and toes crossed for you !

What does DRC smell like ? is it big or small ...interesting.

I have green arches on my first Ludger warm group seeds, pictures tomorrow !

This one :
yellow x p1a ( yellow aurea x pink aurea )

I only planted a few of each in case Autumn is early and cold.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9420547

Chrissy, DRC has a lovely perfume. Not as strong as GHA but it does remind me of it.
The flower is a bit longer than GHA but not as big as BB.
I like the way the tendrils curl back. It recovers quickly in the evening after drooping in the heat.
Shaun has a lovely one there.

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
11:23 PM

Post #9420552

'DRC' is a plant that i breed about 15 years ago with aurea [Diggers] x.aurea [Yamina] to my recollection we did have them back then and it was one of the only pods that we ever created. the plant dose best as a standard and will throw up main stems for this purpose. i has it flower non stop for almost 9 years then i moved and had to take cuttings which also bloom constant.

The fragrance of 'DRC' is subtle and the bloom is about 8-10" long the petal tips recurved and are medium in lasting about 5-7 days

Wayne, Those plants are really nice especially the 'Old Apricot' x 'Butter Bomb' even those it is simular to that of 'OA' it would be a keeper as the fragrance is of aurea
Sorry about the other seedling being a plan thing but you never know it could throw rainbows if crossed with another color

I have many plants that have got buds on and if the temps stay good & don't get in the 40's again i will have flowers just before i head of to Bali.

I have spoken to Maurice and he is OK plants thriving for him he sha lost a number of seedlings from the US but im sure he is not worried, I am of to see Maurice on the 24 feb to see how things are going for him and also help him out.

the weather here has been sitting around 32oC for the last week and looks that way for the next week also but then dropping down to high 20's so it looks Brugs for me/

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9420616

Thanks for the description Shaun.

I hope Maurice is ok, do tell him that his little cuttings are growing here ...they just sat there for weeks then just suddenly decided to grow ...it's been a tough Summer but the the flushes are building up now. I agree.

If Maurice is sight impaired, no wonder he has lost seedlings, how on earth can he see those tiny green grubs that we sighted people have difficulty finding ? I do hope someone can inspect the babies daily for him. These little munchers can ruin a seedling almost overnight when they are small.

You might miss the flushes on your plants ...is someone going to take pics for you ?
Wow Bali ...everyone seems to be traveling off to exotic locations these days, have fun !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9420629

Chrissy he lost the seedling via heat & sun not from bugs or grubs

i do have a Horticulturist coming over every second day for me while im gone i have also asked her to tahe pics is there are any plants that are flowering for me as i will probably miss them while OS. (i also mentioned to her that for the work she is doing for me that i will name a plant after her in the future she was so flabbagasted and honoured, i help her out with plant ID and other infor about plants as she dose not know loads of info so i will help here. Kate is 1 very kool Girl i really appreciate the work she will be doing for me while im gone.

You are right about the flushed they are building up like a tsunami in my back yard.
I have about 7 cold group and about 10 Warm group seedlings 'Y' so i will be very happy to see them there is 3 from Lucas, Micheal x3, Mike x2, Mine x 8 so interesting times to come

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9421099

Here is my first newbie for the season...it's the A.Swingtime x A.Exotic...I love the half opened flower on this one...
It only opened this morning, so I don't know who it will follow re colour.
Though Monica says that pink and yellow produce a lot of whites in one of her posts...so it might be white..
Only one of these seeds grew...
The petal tips are from A.Swingtime, little stumpies, but I like them because I instantly know where they came from...

DRC does look very nice, I posted when you put on the pics Jean, but obviously forgot to press send..lol
Is there a touch of pink? or a camera trick...
I'm finding my photos very frustrating, I can't get the true colours...might be time to go back to a Canon...
My phone is better for colour...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9421145

It looks great Dianne, yes I agree, trying to capture the colour we see with our eyes is very often almost impossible to capture in the Pictures. I notice many of the glamour pics taken by the growers in the catalogues OS are taken in the night, or indoors. It's difficult to capture those same qualities in our outdoor blooms growing in our strong sunlight.

Your nice bloom looks great, is it too tall to catch the fragrance ?

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 16, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9421191

Dianne, its not pink tints on DRC, more like a hint of apricot when it first opened. This morning it is a lovely creamy white.
It is very aurea looking and considering its parents I see why. The perfume does remind me of GHA but not quite as strong.
I am now watching buds on Sweet Jaffa. I am anxious to see if it retains the lovely jaffa orange color. It didnt bloom last year so its been a wait.
It has the same breeding as Clementine which is a contrast. Maybe it will decide to be a double. Lots of aurea in the ancestry too.

Love the new baby you have too Dianne. Very pretty .

This is the fun of growing our bruggies.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 9:35 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9421297

Buds buds buds whoopee !!!!!

More more more !
pic 1) way up past the clothes line in the cottage garden area ! The tallest is Lipstick, to the left one of Wayne's seedlings, can't wait to see it.
Buds all over the once " dead sticks". Loving it !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9421310

An experiment : I took a risk and put a couple of my most precious seedlings out into the big bad World when they were tiny, you can imagine how upset I was at the Big Heat we suffered, Sure they would die I was relieved I only risked a few.

Guess what ? one of them has a trunk an inch in diameter ! , it's leaves are showing the wear and tear of the awful weather but you can see the fresh leaves joyfully receiving the the milder temps and drizzles, what a revelation ! these are much more advanced than the coddled ones.

Pic 1) Creamsickle x Super Spot (the one with an inch in Diameter trunk).
Pic 2) Twilight Time x Heart of Gold ...extra healthy ! I have used no sprays because of the erratic weather, Not that I usually use any much (when I do it is always organic). Being my own double to double cross of course makes it extra exciting. The coddled ones are still only a few inches tall so out they go over the next week or two. After seeing these results I wish they had all gone out at the same time(of course impossible when there are so many).
Pic3) another TT x Heart of Gold (I planted three of each of these crosses outside into full sun and in an exposed position.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9421319

Our dear little Aussie ones, only one bloom on each, but with lots of buds forming, these blooms are not perfect because of the drizzle then heat but still they are pretty and such troopers !

1234 are all Tintarella ( Sorry about the picture quality- it is so dark outside due to the dark grey clouds moving in ). It is such a joyful little Brug, pics don't do it justice.

Ivoire has suffered from the rain overnight and the heat yesterday but she too is such a trooper. Pic 5)

Go little Bruggies Go ...

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9421391

Nice pics Chrissy,
Just got a whiff of perfume from the new one this morning and it was a marzipan/lemon...

This particular cv is very heat resistant...it has always sat out in the blazing sun and I've never seen it droop...
I first noticed how well it was doing on hot days a couple of years ago...so I made a note and it continues to do well...it's pretty warm today, so I'll know if the flowers are tough too, it's in full sun and the leaves are small.
but it's full of buds...
Here it is at 1.20pm

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9421416

That is a great result then Dianne :-) ...love the sound of the fragrance !

Sounds like a winner to me !

If they are hit by the heat, just wait until Autumn flushes to see how it goes.
Just goes to show how tough these plants really are after this Summer.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 16, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9421463

Good to see more blooms out. Good luck Dianne with your double.
Chrissy, your 'Glasshouse Angel' x 'Butter Bomb' has a few more blooms. They remind me of 'Tantra'.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9421477

Wayne these pictures are lovely ...it looks much nicer now, like Tantra ? how interesting. Do the blooms last well ?
Thankyou for these further pictures :-) very exciting times for us all !

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 16, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9421509

Your aurea Chrissy is smaller than 'Tantra'. Holds well.

Alistair's (Lockwood 621 x sanguinea) x sanguinea x Arborea hyb.
Just the six.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9421520

Thanks Wayne, Alistair's crosses look well, they were very robust weren't they...
Mine aren't as tall as your's but going well...

I think that I love this new one, the yellow is so bright on this hot day, the buds are opening a bit more every hour...even if it changes colour, the yellow half opened buds are just glorious...

The one that opened this morning has a white underskirt and a yellow top skirt...
Any wonder we go thru all the frustrations, when a new bloom can bring such joy.
If it wasn't so hot out there, I would sit and watch it...lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2013
1:46 AM

Post #9421565

Your seedlings look great Wayne ! I must post mine tomorrow. I wonder how they will go. Fingers crossed that we may have success with these special ones too.

Dianne they look great, you must be pleased :-) they really take your breath away, when they perform like this !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9422426

So here they are popped up overnight these ones (I see activity in the other cups -little mini mounds getting ready to stick the little arches up). only newly hatched overnight.

Ludgers - 1a x yellow (planted 6) 3 are up overnight. (pic 1)

Alistair's (Lockwood 621 x sanguinea) x sanguinea x Arborea hyb.
3 altogether that have come up and survived (lost some on that really hot day-just shrivelled up). I hope these ones will be ok.

How are you treating yours Wayne ? PH ? shade and food. I have only used very diluted Sea Sol so far. (pic 2) bottom 2 cups to the left.

Some of the many seedlings ready to go outside (the larger ones I mean). pic 3) pic 4) pic 5)

Brug Forest coming up !

chrissy

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 17, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9422473

Looking good Chrissy...

Alan, I hope that you are looking in, here is your Dorthea x Sam, it opened this morning so it may well get darker...this is the one that was damaged when it first flowered...
It hasn't wilted on this hot, windy day either, so it's a toughie...
It certainly looks like it's mother with her beautiful long corolla tips...
I took the pics before the sun came up and used a flash on the last one...

It will certainly be a keeper.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 17, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9422502

Lovely Dianne!

Chrissy, I really do not do much with the seedlings apart from water. That is once they are are potted up into 6" pots. Then they get some Dynamic Lifter and a teaspoon of slow release. The same treatment as they move up to 8" and then 14" pots. No fiddling with pH either! This lot are under the polycarbonate awning here, so a little protection.

Here is 'Old Apricot' second flush (see 3rd Feb. note) as a standard. Our garden feels like and old friend has returned! :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2013
9:14 PM

Post #9422550

Thanks Wayne, I thought the cold groups needed a bit more acidic conditions.

Love your Old Apricot back home where it looks so happy in your garden.

Dianne and Allen Congratulations on your lovely new Pink, just look at those pretty petal tips !

Wish us luck here I think I can see green in these clouds ...rolling in fast. better log off until it passes, a lot of noise !
No Hail please ! Eek my little babies and the big flush out there ...go away Storm !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9422664

There was hail alright, but it missed us just by a little bit. We got the wind and rain, but no hail.

Whew for now at least !

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 18, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9423826

Chrissy that was a big storm!

As for pH...
I guess we should check. Potting mixes vary. Years back we did trials on various commercial mixes as a classroom exercise. The results were amazing.

We have a plastic 25 L bin here with a saturated solution of rain water and Ag lime...
Do you remember that suggestion from Alistair? Ann in FNQ had great colour with her "pinks" - suggestion, an alkaline soil.

Makes me think of Hydrangeas! :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9423890

Yes, I remember the lime water for warm group Brugs, but I am fairly certain I read somewhere that the coldies prefer slightly acidic conditions. I will google around and see if I can find a reference.

I would love to have just one or two survive just out of curiosity ...we gardeners just can't help but push the envelope I guess !

Good luck with yours, pretty sure the Victorian ones will do well though, at least we get to see those ones probably. I forgot to say the paler seedling was accidentally left outside on the hellish day. It survived so it may be strong enough to make it.

I am very happy with the warm ones though.

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9423931

well it looks like there are lots of newbies coming throw

Dianne with your A.Swingtime x A.Exotic, Dorthea x Sam both look like there is something special about them i really hope that they do forfill your requirments on these crosses

Wayne 'Glasshouse Angel' x 'Butter Bomb' looks ok but could have had more color but this is the luck of the draw

To all of you lucky people that have Alistair's (Lockwood 621 x sanguinea) x sanguinea x Arborea hyb. i just wish i was on the other end while he was sending them out cant wait to see what may come of them also.

The dreaded weather had changed for today and was quite cool, i have been in the yard the last few days removing so much leaves i have filled 1 large wheelie bin and that's only half of the yard, those dreaded SPIDER MITES are going to be the end of me i have the same issues that Jean had last year with them i have tried all the chemicals and this is my last ditch effort before cutting things back to the ground and allowing the new shoots to come back as fresh. I have cut 2 plants back to stems and my culebra is a right mess with the mites... I however are looking at buying a 12 litre Back pack Battery operated @ 70pp which is more then twice the presure i can get in a pump pack back pack.

With all of this i have found that i have 2 plants with green on green variegate but will have to wait and see with these ones and i have a golden child the foliage is Golden which i will be looking in to later as it is a smaller slow growing plant but again waiting for it to mature with the 100's of other seedlings
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2013
3:30 AM

Post #9423965

Shaun, with all the various things I tried for the spider mites, I found that the Yates Mavrick works best.
As soon as I see signs of them I spray all the brugs whether they have the mites or not.
I do them again a few days later.
I have nice green healthy brugs now and I will continue to keep the Mavrick handy.
Be careful if you use it to use more diluted in hot weather.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9424815

Good luck with the mites Shaun ...sorry to hear you are having those problems.

Green varigate? I have one like that ...it will be very exciting to watch.

Today Ta Dah ! finally the Schlossburg x pink Aurea seeds are arching up ! I only planted 3 and there are two arching up and a little hill ! The rest I am keeping for the next growing season as they are too precious to take a chance with.

I expect most of these seeds to be up over the next week, hopefully we can get some good growth on them before it gets cold.
If not they will spend the Winter on the covered verandah.

Looks like Lipstick will be first up ...in the next day or two but she is the tallest and in the wind so she might not be as stunning as usual.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 20, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9425834

So excited ! Sneak preview !!!!! just a little taste.

Jean Congratulations on your article ! we love Knightii and that is a great story.

It's a wonderful read this issue will be posted shortly, mine arrived this morning.

Australia post folded it, so it's creased but ...

Loving it !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 20, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9426108

Wow that looks interesting, can't wait to read it..
Congratulations Jean...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9426969

Busy Day ahead ...a quick hello !

You can feel Autumn in the air ...only thing open so far besides Ivoire and Tintarella is Lipstick, it copped the wind and rain, I think after seeing it in full sun, I would say you need shelter to show it's lovely deep pink. It is the tallest one out there in the cottage garden, it needs to go into the ground now, in at least afternoon shade.

Dianne that is a pretty thing !

Over the weekend I will take some Ludger seedling shots as I haven't the time today ...

Have a good one everybody ! :-)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9427219

Wow I have been following Gordan's garden for years ...how cool to see this great video !

Enjoy ! what an inspiration ...gardening way up in the sky on a rooftop in NY.

http://nyorkers.com/gordon-hawkins/

So glad I checked in while having a quick coffee.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9427283

Me too, Chrissy...thanks very much for posting...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9428173

Saturday ...always the way :-)
Can't get out there to do anything in the pouring rain !
I so want to go outside ...hopefully the predicted deluge will be wrong.

So housework then playing with the seedlings in the verandah.
I recently received my seed draw from BGI and Edna's Super Rose x Sam is up already ! they must have been very fresh seeds to have popped up that quickly.

Super Rose is one I have also wanted for ages because I read that the perfume smells like a rose ! and we all know what Sam can do as a daddy. Anyone who does not have that one should scoot in there and grab some.

Lots more of the Ludger babies coming up, the only worry is the possible early arrival of Winter type weather, hopefully not.

Enjoy your day and sending out our thoughts to the gardeners up North that are getting the really severe rain once more.

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 23, 2013 10:04 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 22, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9428295

Nothing much going on here with the brugs. They are growing but thats about all.
Buds on most fell off so I am hoping they put more on come Autumn.
My coldies are doing very well considering the hot, dry weather.
I will get around to repotting a lot into large pots once the weather is a bit cooler.
I only have 3 lots of Ludgers seeds up so far .

I hope everyone is safe wherever its raining and flooding.
Melbourne has been getting plenty of rain but nothing even looks like coming this way
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9428420

Sad to say the wind is pretty bad as well as heavy rain ... the Brug buds and some newly opened ones, are being bashed severely, very sad to see it, hopefully some will be ok after this weather event, however they reckon worse is to come. The Lipstick flush is entirely ruined. Going to chop it right back now, not much use if it can't put on a good display in that exposed position, it's so lovely in a fair bit of afternoon shade. I feel guilty to have put it where it is unhappy.
Just hoping Wayne's big seedling will be ok, it's high up there too darn it.
Oh well ...what can you do.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
2:25 AM

Post #9428603

We had a great weather day yesterday at about 24oC and the 33 oC today and again till Tuesday then down to 22oC .
I have cut back a 10 foot Datura 'La Fleur Lilac' & my 14 foot White ruff & Frosty Pink as these are the ones that harbour the red spider mites tho Culebra dose I'm not cutting it back as its 7 foot tall and I'm really happy to have it that large.

I am now sending to WA as I have 2 buyers there with quarantine documents both requiring 10 plants each I will also be using them as suppliers in the future for sales in WA if there are any other buyers from that state.

All of my plants have been cut back to only the top 5-6 leaves so that I can get the insecticide on to them. I also have a new spray back pack battery pump which pushes out up to 100psi.
http://www.shixia.com/english/SX-MD16E-2650.htm

I'm heading to Maurice's place in the morning to help him out and see how things are going for him.

Sorry to hear about the bad weather hope its not as bad as you think but you know your garden and what it should look like

Jean the herald post is great we will be seeing more in therein the coming years well I hope any way,

Christ how do I get my hands on a copy of the herald and if I have to pay for them and back copies I'm willing to do that also I do like the paper trail.

Good luck every one

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9428616

The Herald will be available to read online ...they are just needing to upload it in the next day or two.

http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/herald/index.html/

You may have to ask about a real copy, I am unsure of who gets those.

The rain is still very heavy here, the wind has dropped though.
What a shame you had to cut everything back so hard ...does that mean no Autumn blooms ?

Golly yes it's been a tough year for our darlings, I guess we can't win every time.

Funny thing is ...looking down in the jungle area from my balcony I can see masses of brugs going off ...blooms all over the place.
Those Brug trees have not been touched for two years ...yet they are blooming their socks off. They are Huge !
I am going to try and get into them tomorrow, hopefully this weather may have keep the snakes away. The wasps too.

Have a good trip Shaun.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9429255

Well the rain has finally stopped ...a bit of damage outside damaged leaves, buds and blooms. However it allowed me to go into my wild jungle area ...imagine the thrill of finding this ! in full bloom. a real GOTCHA moment ...I love that !

Chloe !

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9429271

Unfortunately the tropical climbers have weaved their way through some of the branches and they obscure the ones I can see from the balcony ...huge flushes of Zabaglione, I don't know what else until I clear some vegetation.
pic 1) only one below the vines the rest are high up in the sky, beyond my view. Probably ruined by the storm.
pic 2) the one we call Old Stripey (this came from Mya) it develops the pale apricot stripes depending on the weather.
pic 3) Wayne's seedling huge thing- finally buds opening ! fingers crossed.
pic 4) This is Wayne's Aztec Gold x ? (yellow) starting to open.
pic 5) Tenshi lost some leaves and buds but still doing ok ...pale because of the temps.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2013 12:06 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9429285

The rain has weighed Melissa Amy down, she usually sits up and looks at you the first day, then semi nods.
Today she is all droopy. Amazing to watch the different colours as the clouds play around in the sky ...it's so dark sometimes as a dark cloud passes, then just grey, no sun at all yet.
Pics 1/2/3/4

and 5 ) is Axelrose ...fighting with the clothes line !

I am so grateful to find anything out there after the terrible weather, but to find Chloe looking so lovely was a revelation ! it made my day !
Had to stop there due to the rain again.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9429364

Yay the new issue of The Herald has been posted !

http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/herald/index.html/

Congratulations again Jean ...great article !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
3:11 AM

Post #9429556

Chrissy, it seems like all that rain made a real difference to your garden , love the GOTCHA moment with Chloe
All of the plants seem to be all ok oven with a bit of wear&tear

I was at Maurice's place today he has so many of the same clones, but on the good side of it he has created a triple using Red Hot Pink x.Knightii he said that it has had 2 skirts drop and its now coming up to its 3rd flush so just waiting on what it will settle down to?

I now have Ochre but I very much dought that it is an aurea, I also have 2 doubles 1: 12AD:: yellow double
2: 12AH:: yellow double with orange centre so will be nice to have that one.
Both are Clementine x.aurea
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9430074

Chrissy, your jungle looks like it needs a tiger or two.
Lovely flowers.
My brugs are looking good after all the heat and I hope more buds come to replace all those that fell off.

Shaun, nice to see you caught up with Maurice.
Those crosses sound like they will produce something lovely.
I am hoping for a Y and buds on the second seedling of Genevieve x Rothkirch this year
It has been slow to grow but when I had to move it , I took a cutting which is bigger now than the parent.
Lots of exciting things going on now and Autumn should produce lots of blooms.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9430207

A quick few shots today !

Yes Jean I am always on the lookout for a stray Lion or Black Panther both have been spotted around this district. The lion escaped from the Old Lion Safari place and ate a dog. The Black Panther is famous around these parts.
serously I don't venture there often after the snake episode ! I figured it would be safe in the rain.

Shaun that sounds very interesting ...looking forward to the results. You sure do get around.

I will start with this one from you, as mentioned before, it's from you but I don't know which one it is due to the constant rains washing the writing off the label. I hope you recognize it. Edited to say- I forgot to mention that it looks like Aztec Gold ...the colour is a bit different but that could be the weather, is it AG ?

Pic 1& 2 (sorry once again dark grey sky) then there is Tenshi ...a very pretty pink to the eye but it does not photograph well for some reason. 2&4. Last one is Melissa Amy (face) 5.

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 11:02 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9430218

Here is the very tall one of Wayne's seedlings (very sorry for the quality of the pics -awful light and some damage to the tendrils) a nice yellow. Very tough because it was battered badly in the storms due to it's height ! It did lose some leaves and a few buds in the first big storm. 1 & 2.

3/ 4 / and 5 is another flush on Bengal Tiger building up- covered in buds this time.
Edited to say whoopsee I forgot no., 5

I hope the weather will be kinder for everyone today :-)

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 9:58 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9430223

Here it is !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 24, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9430498

Jean, your article looks great...congrats, it's a very good issue...
I wish your Senorita would flower too...I want to see what it does this year...
After the surprise I got with The Dancer, the Senorita could do anything...

TD is getting back to her beautiful self now and her corollas are dropping more.
The Dorthea x Sam flowers last really well in this heat...
As do the A. swingtime x A. exotic, which is pleasing..
After going thru the various stages of yellow and white, which were all lovely, it has settled into a lovely creamy
colour with a touch of pink, so next year Angels Exotic might be more dominant.

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9430500

to hot to worry aboout much here
Im just coping

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9430527

Sam is a wonderful parent Dianne ...aren't those blooms looking lovely !

Unfortunately the hot sun came out from the grey wetness and will cook stuff because it is wet (the flowers I mean).
What a shame I can't get at the huge Musketeer above the canopy, it's one of my favourites I can see such a huge quantity of blooms between the leaves when I look down into the jungle, it sort of makes you wonder about the feeding thing.
Still they get a lot of natural mulch and bird poops etc, they grow all by themselves in nature. Interesting.

Yes Jean really looking forward to to your huge plants finally blooming. I hope they reward you handsomely.

You sound down Shaun ...chin up, those plants will race away when the weather gives permission.
I know its awful missing our lovely blooms. You never know, if Winter is mild they may go on for months.
It won't be too long.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9431477

This morning ...most of the opened wet brugs were burned when the Sun came out yesterday, some opened overnight though so they were safe ...hot already though out there !

Bengal Tiger

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9431492

Wayne's seedling stood up well to the heat though, a bit banged up from the wind a nice yellow. 1
Also his Pink Panther seedling is starting to open again. 2
One of my Knightii opening up 3
Axelrose battling the clothesline 4
Tenshi 5

It's almost March ... hang in there everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9431680

Testing ...is anyone having trouble posting pics to BGI ?

It seems to work everywhere but there ??? *scratching the head* LOL !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9431721

Chrissy, the photos that I put on the PP fasc topic this morning, were the same ones that I used earlier in the same topic, but I had to reduce them a couple of times to put them on again...instead of being 680 x 510 they ended up 410 x something, a lot smaller than usual.
I was about to give up...it kept saying that they were over the 300kb.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9431865

Yes I think we might have to wait for Mary to fix something in there. Thanks Dianne :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2013
10:19 PM

Post #9431895

testing ...well blowed if I know ...these all seem to work just fine, both old and new pics.

Oh well.

chriussy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9431926

Oh it's so magical out there ...we find out why we put the effort in, when this starts to happen.
The Air how do you describe heaven scent ?

I went out to weed once it cooled down, only to find 6 petal tips on Tenshi,

cestrum's Big Floppy Apricot (not floppy in the dusk air), I thought it quite lovely !
A fat bud on her Pink Sweetie too ! (at last).

Wayne your new yellow is quite lovely ...like a yellow Pink Panther with slightly shorter petal tips but very furry strokable, the later blooms are opening bigger than the first ones. It's also a deeper yellow.

The Axelrose is now a glowing Apricot colour, smells divine !

Heart of Gold was hiding behind the others, I could smell her before I could see her ...the blooms are much bigger than ever before, I am convinced these doubles grow more beautiful with age.

Of course it was getting too dark for pics by the time I finished ...I will be missing in action tomorrow (work)but hopefully can get some pics while the plants look so happy.

They have a very special presence don't they ...I always feel to be in very special company when they look like this, Royalty of the flower World. :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
12:28 AM

Post #9431927

i saw many blooms in the garden today so i thought i would share
1,2 Munchausen
3, EP
4,5 aurea [Colchester Rd]

i dont have the best nose for fragrance ID but they all smell Delish

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
12:31 AM

Post #9431928

1: DRC
2,3: Ivoire
4: GHA

I have been crossing and hoping for a great cross of Ivoire x.(Tantra x.aurea(form) with the back ground of my plant having yellow in it and Ivoire with its cream color should be a great little Bloom

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
12:35 AM

Post #9431929

1:Tantra x.aurea(form)
2: Snow Cone

this is my Baby Tantra x.aurea(form) i believe she is as small as DPG if not smaller with petal tips and its lips kicking back well
the color is what i would call egg custard so you could imagine what im calling it in my own garden??

Snow cone is probably one of the thinnest & smallest mouthed Brugs i have ever seen but it is the first 2 flowers on the plant and it is & has been under attack from RSM but a very cute one indeed

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 8:38 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2013

Post #9431941

Hey, great pics Shaun ! I particularly like your Tantra x Aurea ...well done !
Aren't we getting some great yellows !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9431962

testing

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9432707

Off to work ...enjoy your day everyone !

one last test from this morning ...

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9432818

Lovely blooms Chrissy.
I have just planted out 10 of my brugs into the ground. Now I am hoping for a decent shower of rain.
I will plant about 6 - 8 more and use these as shelter for all the younger brugs.
I have 5 lots of Ludgers seeds now sprouting. I expect more to come.
I will be doing a major repot of all the primary school brugs so they can go out with the other teenagers at high school.
My greenhouse looks empty, hubby says. I told him to wait a while as all the new babies will be sitting around on the benches before long.

Shaun I love that new Tantra cross baby of yours .
Very cute little thing.

I had better get back to digging holes .

Jean.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 10:39 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
11:36 PM

Post #9433211

Thank you guys i do love the 'Tantra x.aurea(form) iv coined it Brugmansia 'Custard Beauty'
i was tossing up a few names so this is what i have chosen

i have got a few pic's of Maurice's plants i think that its the first triple breed in Australia? would i be wrong??????
It is a cross of 'Red Hot Pink x.'Knightii' (S12) and the bloom is stuffed with corolla's as you can see there are 2 well formed corollas and a 3rd about to pop out the day i took the pic's the weather was not favourable for the flowers but i managed to get them for us here

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan      

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2013
12:15 AM

Post #9433224

That's a very nice name that you have chosen for your Tantra x aurea (form)...Custard Beauty...
Ivoire certainly takes great profile pics, doesn't it...your cross of it and Custard Beauty should get you something very nice.

That is a lovely flower that Maurice has bred, Shaun...but it's not the first triple...
I'm sure that Chrissy has one or two and my "The Dancer'' is a triple most of the time..
There may be others, that I've forgotten...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2013
1:04 AM

Post #9433238

Shaun, thankyou for the pictures ...I think perhaps Maurice was working on the crosses well before we were and it is an Australian bred triple rather than a seed from an overseas grower.Maurice must be very pleased.

Congratulations on your Custard Beauty ! what a joy to see Australian Brugs popping up over the pond in the lists.

A joy to see the pictures too of course. Yes Ivoire has a lovely profile :-)

Tonight !

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
1:33 AM

Post #9433251

Chrissy the Australian breed triple was developed in 2010 and first bloomed in 2012 he has done some amazing work with his crosses but he also has the ground room to grow them out in the ground.

I will be receiving a cutting once the currant bloom cycle has finished so I'm excited to receive that one.

Dianne Ivoire dose have an amazing profile, but I'm sure there are profiles we have not thought of as yet either.

Chrissy is the second bloom on your last post 'Pink Knight'?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2013
2:43 AM

Post #9433269

No, I don't have Pink Knight, it is Twilight Time, Alistair said he would send me a bit, but I guess what with all the excitement of going away he must have forgotten. It does not matter ...we are all excited about our new ones coming along.

When our Plants are powering away we might do some swapping, doubles for doubles huh?, I am sure there will be heaps of them coming up soon, I am looking forward to swapping the lovely singles too.

Can't wait to watch the new Brug parade begin.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9434039

A quick tour today.
Bruce's Pink ...Dianne thankyou ! this little sweetie is so eager to bloom it is way past the bottom of the pot ...:-) he is lovely ! (1)

Poison starting up ! (2)

Poison and Knightii (3)

Calamine (4)

Big Floppy Apricot from cestrum (5)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9434083

Glad it's growing well for you Chrissy...mine is about 10ft tall now and very wide, just about to have a really beaut flush as they all are...including Clementine...

Sorry Shaun, I wasn't thinking about first triples from local Brugs...Maurice really has done well...

Dianne.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 27, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9434152

Lovely pics everyone. Great to see some new plants coming along.
Here is Chrissy's 'Twilight Time' doing very well for us.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 27, 2013
10:09 PM

Post #9434213

Allan's 'Fernando'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2013
11:46 PM

Post #9434233

I was wondering when you might see Fernando Wayne ...he loves Autumn. He will be stunning by tomorrow.

Thankyou for the lovely pictures.

My Twilight Time is looking lovely too ! :-)

It never lets me down, no matter what the weather is like.

Edited to say ...the differences in the colour ...mine are in day long Sun (facing North) with the shelter to the South, so it would seem that the colour is much lighter in the full Sun.
Gelato tones. :-)

chrissy

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 8:41 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 28, 2013

Post #9434243

Goodbye Summer ...yippee Autumn tomorrow !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsiS-v6_6M

Love Love Love Autumn !
Summer was not kind here so , looks like another rain event ahead here where I live, it's raining again now.

Good luck with all the new Autumn kids everyone !
Can't wait to see them.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9434623

Your 'Twilight Time' is lovely Chrissy. So many blooms, each perfect!

Here is a plant from seed Cestrum gave me, Knightii x 'Old Apricot'. Looking good!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter      

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9434624

'Coral Reef'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9434627

That is stunning ! Congratulations to cestrum, what a triumph !

Wayne Congratulations to you too ! what a great grower and seedling parent you are !

Could you please start the Autumn thread with some of your lovely pics ?

I have to go to work so I just want to say Yay it's Autumn ...so happy ...enjoy your day everyone !

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9434628

A little lemon coloured single from 'Clementine' x noid. A sibling of the triple shown earlier in Feb.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9434630

Oh Wow ...Applause !!!!!!!

chrissy !
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9434634

New autumn thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300557/

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 28, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9434637

Wayne could you let me know if you are going to submit to BGI or if you would like me to submit on your behalf to our Hybridizers data base ? and later when proved to the Herald for naming ?

I must get ready for work right now check later , meanwhile Wow, Wow and Wow !

chrissy
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

March 9, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9444199

Hi Guys

Had a great day with Shaun. I was in hopital the next day wth peritionitis and only came home yeasterday. Lost afew plants in the heat but my gtret friends with the paddocks are retired nurses, Am cautious with movement and lifting is out of the question.

Havent lost any current pods that I have observed,

Cheers

Maurice
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9444222

Maurice we have now moved to autumn follow link 2 posts ago via Wayne
Hope all is well now sorry to hear you did a hospital stay

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America