AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9405771

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293570/#new

Happy Ground Hog Day. If you haven't heard. "Phil" of the MAF says early Spring.

That's worth chatting and singing about for sure. In case you missed it on the last thread, here is the link that Happy posted. Check it out.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xHkq1edcbk4?rel=0

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 9:23 AM

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup
Click an image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9405781

My wish for us all on this Ground Hog Day 2013 is that just like in the movie of the same name we all get as many do overs as we need to get it right!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 9:38 AM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9405843

Lots happening in our area and lots of activity and upcoming events and special group buys and orders. Here is a summary of what's coming up pre Seed Swap Sat. Feb 16

Seed Swap Sign up/ info
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292205/

Seed Swap Discussion
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294098/
Seed Swap Have/Want List
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/

Group Orders (pick only, tba)

Bulk Order Lily Bulbs (deadline Feb 8)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295595/

Bulk Order Gladiolus (deadline Feb 8)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295852/

Bulk ProMix soil Wholesale (deadline Feb 11)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296173/

Group Order Fancy Lilies (deadline probably Feb 8)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296051/

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 12:22 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9405878

Coleup -- Your message broke off mid-thought.

Sally -- I don't know anything about the video I linked to (on our prior thread) -- or the video you referred to. The only reason I saw the link I posted to is that someone on a local garden list-serve send out the link. I did think it was lovely.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9405913

do over # 2 got it...Thanks for the head's up Happy!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 12:25 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9405938

Not much going on here. Ric and I still dealing with the crud and other minor issues. Can't wait for some early spring weather to blow these winter doldrums away.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9406092

Yep, sinus congestion here, but on the way out. Thankful it wasn't the flu. I just want to throw open windows to air things out.

I love do overs!!!

Our grandson skunked us this morning in a game of Memory. My DH would have done better, but I just seemed to set up the grandy so well.(not intentionally either). It kinda concerned me cuz I really didn't remember the placements. Anyone try Lumosity? Maybe I need to watch Jeopardy again.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9406150

Sinus infection is getting me down. Wonder if the Sambocol that I ordered per Jen (Flowajen) from Amazon will help,or will it be too late. We all need to be in our gardens on a warm spring day.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9406215

My son showed me Lumosity but I didn't want to get into a paid for site. I use Spider Solitaire for training in attention and memory, ahem...

happy- couple years ago, Pagancat showed a link to a video made by a guy...he let people all over the world submit pieces of video of themselves singing the song he had chosen, then put them together into a chorus. Hard to describe but fascinating.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9406221

Sally -- that video sounds interesting.

What is Lumosity?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9406294

Sally, is this the video you mean?
http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_whitacre_a_virtual_choir_2_000_voices_strong.html

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9406296

Sally--I saw that video--it was really great--and really fun to watch.
I just went to my "Amazing Things" folder (where i stash all kinds of anazing forwards)
but could not find it.

Instead--for those of you who have never seen or heard the "Vegetable Orchestra"--
Should be close to all our hearts what you can do with common vegetables.

Enjoy!!! Hope the link works...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2007/nov/28/vegetable.orchestra

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 6:48 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9406317

Yes! I cannot believe you found that. Although the TED stuck in my head , I wasn't crazy there.
Everybody, enjoy.
;
;
;
Phew! TED played a couple more talks while I listened and did other stuff. Now I feel pretty stupid and lazy, compared to the really incredible imaginative stuff goin on out there. THis one is about Duolingo, a language learning program that my kids have started using
Luis von Ahn: Massive-scale online collaboration

Now that I know whats going on, I am kinda more excited to go do the intermediate French and make a contribution- maybe.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 8:24 PM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9406479

I hadn't checked out Lumosity and didn't realize it costs. Brain-training.

Will have to check out the language thing.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9406644

This is what I really wanted you to see. The above link I posted was not "complete"...
meaning--you cannot really see them perform.

I simply Googled "Vegetable orchestra"----they are quite famous.

OK! Off to work i go to be part of all the in-store ravens madness...Gita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfYt7vRHuY
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9408092

Does anyone grow strawberries?

Is there a disease-resistant variety you'd recommend? Where do you get your starts?

I'm thinking about growing them in my City Pickers container.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9408223

Suze---

I can't say I "grow" strawberries--but I planted some early last summer. Gor a few to eat--not much.
I know they need to 'propagate" (by runners) for a year so there are more new new plants.
I do not know a lot about their culture--but I think I have read that the new plants are the ones that
produce berries.
I also "know" that they do not like to lay on soil, as the fruit would rot. You need to put a layer of
straw under the plants (dah! STRAW berries!!)...Many people never make the association.
You will also need to invest in some bird netting--unless you want to feed all the birds and other critters.
I believe many ground insects and pests also munch on berries.

Mine are green all winter long (so far). Looking forward to this summer to see if I get more yummies...

**IF your HD has the "Bonnie Vegetables" stand in outside garden--(They should! Look for tables under a green canopy)
they carry the best line of all kinds of vegetable plants, herbs, and even Onion Sets.
Everything is very healthy and they have an amazing assortment.
They are all potted in peat pots
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9408274

I planted the strawberries that a friend of mine gave me at the beginning of March if not earlier .They produced the same year on and off all summer. I did not have any straws so I used shredded leaves and this worked out fine. I was not aware of strawberries having certain diseases. The only disease that you are going to have are the slugs who love them, the birds and the squirrels. The slugs do not kike wood ashes, and you can keep the other critters out with netting. If you are interested I have a friend of mine who has strawberry plants for sale , she sells them for 50 cents each, they are a fruiting size just let me know if you are interested. Bonnie plants are nice but overpriced for what they are .

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9408340

I checked the U MD recommendations and then bought at local farmers store. But they are packed in 25 plants per pack I think it is- way too many (unless your container is a bathtub)
. So orchidfancy's friend sounds like the best choice for your containers, Terry
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9408410

Orchidfancy, powdery mildew is a huge issue in my garden, and I know some strawberry cultivars are really susceptible. I've heard fungal disease is generally what kills them, but UMD says there are cultivars that are more resistant.

I would love to get some strawberry starts from your friend. I'm really close to College Park, and you can't beat 50 cents! I only need 8, so I'm happy about not needing to buy a whole 25 pack.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9408422

I have heard that a spray of milk and water can eliminate, or help to, Powdery Mildew.

Not sure on this--but I have heard about it. G.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9408438

Gita, I've heard the same thing. It's not something I've tried yet, because to be honest, I'm kind of grossed out by the thought of the milk sticking to the leaves and getting spoiled in the summer heat. :P

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9408441

Some cultivars that are pretty resistant to powdery mildew are Cruz, Earliglow, Lateglow, and Ranier. We sell Earliglow, Lateglow, and Ranier where I work, but I'm not sure where you'd find Cruz in this area. Then again, I have never looked. ;)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9408489

I don't recall powdery mildew being a problem, at all.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9409625

Ready to defend my prediction!

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9409634

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
3:42 AM

Post #9409920

The name's Rambo. Phil Rambo.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9412228

Love it, speedie!

One of my projects this summer is going to be to get better containers for our patio.

So my question to you bargain-hunters: What is the best (read "cheap") local-ish source for large containers? I don't want to get anything that can't be left outside all winter, so that probably means some kind of plastic that is manufactured to not look like plastic - I know terra cotta will break. I've bought them at Costco before - maybe that is the best. I want to get a few large shrubs or dwarf trees... I'd love to get some dwarf cherry blossoms or other spring-flowering plants if such a thing exists.

Of course, if i get anything too big I won't be able to move it...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9412233

I've been down and out with the flue - hit me fast and hard Tue afternoon at work, and I felt so miserable that I took off Wed and Thu. Today was my regular Fri off, so I'm hoping with the days off and the weekend, I'll feel back to normal by Mon. I get an hour or so of energy, and then lay back down for a few hours to recoup. Anyway, I've been tackling the basement clutter during those bursts of energy, I found my bags of amaryllis bulbs - about 12 of them. They look like they have shrunk a lot, but still feel pretty firm. I re-read Jill's article on Amaryllis 101 to refresh my memory on how to pot them up. If they actually start growing I'll move them outside for the summer. Worth a try anyway. I like winter, but I am starting to go stir crazy looking at all the gardening catalogs and on-line vendor sites LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9412235

I am doing subway tile backsplash in the kitchen today. Waa hop!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9412245

Happy, I love the Wal-Mart for cheap stuff like that. I just bought 12 small (6") grey plastic pots for $1.27 each for potting up those amaryllis bulbs. The light grey with a little decorative flair will look nice in the conservatory (I've gotten tired of waiting for Mike to work on it, so I'm starting to use it with just the plywood floor and no electricity LOL). They had all sizes and a lot of colors. I've used the larger containers for herbs and they have held up well being left outside and neglected for a few seasons.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9412254

Yay Harriet-Sally Homeowner - DIY woooohhh wooohhhh, wuff wuff.. did you mean waa hoo, or is waa hop a new rallying call to add to my repertoire?

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 3:39 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9412256

Pic . Got this far and needed to go back to tile store for them to make some corner cuts. Told Mark that for a professional finish i should quit for the weekend now and show up again tuesday.

Crap dont know why the pic is turned

Thumbnail by sallyg

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9412261

Meant waa hoO. Lol

Thumbnail by sallyg

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9412262

Looks good - just like Speedie's marble tile, subway tile is another classic. Love that look...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9412265

Happy, I really like the selection at HomeGoods, but their prices aren't as cheap as Walmart or Costco.

I have a question about camellias from last spring's group order.

Are all of your camellias doing ok? I just checked on mine and the leaves have turned black! It didn't grow much last year, but now it looks dead.

orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9412306

I am so sorry to hear about your Camelia it might have passed on this happen. Mine are doing well, the squirrels are starting to pick the buds and eat them I guess it is their version of tea, eating the buds. My pink camelia is also ready to bloom. Are you going to the seed swap? I will be going I live in College park and maybe we can ride together.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9412326

Waahoo!!! Looking good, Sally
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9412341

Sally that looks Great!!!! Really think that tile goes very well with both the cabinets and the counter tops.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9412355

First side finished. Up to you to find my two mistakes lol.
Thank you. I am amazed that i seem to have got it all together nicely. All my individual selections playing together. There might be hope for the rest of the house.

Thumbnail by sallyg

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9412356

Wow, Sally! I can't even hang a picture straight. :P

Orchid, squirrels eat camellia buds! Yikes! O_o

The squirrels in my yard have an abundance of acorns, so hopefully they'll leave the buds alone. I'm so envious of large established camellias in my neighborhood. I was hoping for something similar but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Orchid, we should definitely carpool!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9412358

Sally - that looks gorgeous. I'm impressed at how even you got the tile placement -- looks very professional. And I agree -- it all plays together well, without looking staid.

Aspen -- what I am looking for are huge containers -- like 2' across, or more.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9412415

Hi Happy - The plastic ones I got for the herbs from Wal-mart a few years ago are probably 18" across, and they have bigger. I have also found some more decorative light-weight large pots at HD, but a little more $s.

The best deal I ever got was at at Nalls, a mom and pop nursery on Rt 7 near Berryville. They are heavy ceramic glazed pots for outdoor or indoor use, were not that expensive to start with compared to what I've seen at other nurseries, and were 50% off at their annual Christmas Eve clearance sale. They serve country ham biscuits and coffee to all the customers during the sale, very homey, and then shut down for the winter. Everything in the entire place is 50% off. Cheryl was getting a balled Christmas tree for her son Mark, and I made out with a bench, lots of pots, local honey and jams. Cheryl's van was packed to the roof! The biggest pots are really heavy, even more so full of soil, but I roll them around on plant coasters and somehow have manged to get them over the door threshold into the house for the winter by myself without too much trouble.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9412489

Happy, I always take the glazed pots inside for the winter. It is a lot of work to wash them, dry them, and move them inside, especially when some of them are big and heavy. You can use fiberglass pots like the one in the photo below. They are good looking and very light. You can leave them outside, but they do get damaged after several winters.

Costco has some very big pots in early spring each year. They are less expensive than what you get from nurseries.

I found some very good looking pots at Marshalls last year. I said "Michael's" in this post by mistake. The pots were from Marshalls: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9037544&extraimg=0. The prices were very good. There were also some very big pots there.

PS. I just tried to click on the link I posted here, and the first thing I saw was the first photo in that post - a pile of compost. You have to click on "next photo" above the upper right corner of the photo to see the photo of my flower pots.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9412505

Holy Brugs Batman! What did you feed that thing??? Donner do you want your big black pot back from the brug you brought me?

Kitchen always looks better with all the countertop clutter gone
8 ^P
Hate covering up any of my tile with toaster oven and the range with an 8 inch back where the controls are.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9412526

Happy---

Would a serious, black, heavy duty plastic (nursery pot trees come in-long ago) be up your alley?
It is close to 2' diam. Have not measured. If you want it--you can have it.

Not pretty to look at--just black. maybe you can paint it to suit yourself?
It sits squat--so will not blow over. Tapered pots with leafy things in them can blow over easily.
I cannot tell you how many times my big Brugs have gone flat on the ground.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9412540

Gita, your so right about the shape of the pot. I finally put my Brugs in pots that were wide and not more narrow at the bottom. Much better results.

Terri, sorry you're under the weather. I was in the same shape when Flowajen mentioned getting the Cold and Flu Sambucol from Amazon.com. I was desperate, so I tried them with rush shipment. They actually work!!! Read about them on WebMd.com also.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9412794

Just wondering if a few people would like to split Eyeliner Lily Bulbs, Pink Pendula Begonia Bulbs, and Orange Picotee Begonia Bulbs. We get free shipping on orders over $99.00 and I would bring them to Jan's swap. I would take one order of 5 of the pink pendula myself. I left my bulbs in the pot and they froze. Never had such good looking pendulas before.

See more at: http://www.sunshineflowerbulbs.com/BEGONIAS_.178_.cj60.htm

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9412954

For the past two months I have been in the spring spirit , at least since I put my green house together at the other end of the yard. The part of the yard with a weird shape that you really do not know what to do with. Since the first picture of the green house standing , the whole area was cleared of the raspberries, they were either given away or put in a buckets waiting for me to make them a home. The vegetable beds were moved from the front yard to the official vegetable garden, the strawberries were dug and put aside in a container until I was ready to plant them, raspberries were transplanted and trimmed. When I moved the raised beds from the front yard I filled the base of the beds at their new location with composts with a lots of leaves, a layer of horse manure, another layer of compost and then the soil that was in the raised bed at the first place then I dusted the whole work with some wood ashes for a good measure. My future veggies should be happy there . . one bed is covered and I scattered some aurigula seeds, they are starting to come out so are the lettuce in the greenhouse. The strawberries were planted a month ago at the same time as I planted the Raspberries, the strawberries seem to be happy in their new home. now I am waiting for spring...

Thumbnail by orchidfancy   Thumbnail by orchidfancy         

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9412963

You really did some planning, Orchid. Should be some great veggies coming out of the new bed. The only veggies I grow are tomatoes and arugula. Can't find either really good ones at the market. Years ago we could get the soft leaved very spice arugala in the supermarkets, but now all they have are the bags of the sharp scallop edged ones that are not as flavorful.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2013 7:08 AM
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9412966

SSGARDENER the squirrels last year gave up after 5 or 6 flower buds there were too many on the magnolia, they were overwhelmed, they could not eat that many... LOL they ate the bird seeds , or bread , or acorns... I did not ask

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9412973

Roses--

I tried growing Arugula once---it came up OK and grew Ok--but it bolted so quickly!

Any tricks to not having it do that?
What is the name of the Arugula you grow--the one with the soft leaves?
I'll look for a package of seeds for it at my HD.

Thanks, Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9412984

Orchid, you sure have been doing a lot of work! That looks like a perfect spot for the green house and vegetable bed layout looks nice beside it.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9413008

Mine grew, bolted and then set more seed! I grow Arugula Rocket. Can't remember where I got them, but I think Critter sent them to me from a small group buy of Italian seeds.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9413145

well done orchidfancy. THat should be very productive!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9413611

Sally, I do not need the big pot back. Actually the brug I gave you was the same size as this one. You probably couldn't tell that because I had to give it a severe cut in order to get it into my car.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9413642

Then thanks for the huge pot, donner! In fact, I think I saw that huge brug behind the blooming one- and yes it must have been quite a cut back. It s doing fine, by the way.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9413674

Sally, the tall brug behind the blooming one was of a different variety called "Xena" (see the photo below). I bought quite a few cuttings from online and unfortunately "Xena" was the only variety that rooted. The cutting was taken toward the tip of the branch and as a result the plant was lanky. I gave it a severe cut before bringing it in for the winter. We will see if I get a bushier plant this year.

Thumbnail by donnerville

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9413906

Thanks.
Good luck for this year then. Incidentally, Gita has found that fat stem cuttings do much better than tips. It makes sense when you look at a brug in storage. THe tips get all shriveled up. I only mention this for those who might shop for cuttings.
THe one you gave me, is Dr Seuss correct? I guess in another month or so I'll start watering them and get them growing.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9413911

Sally, the one you got is a Dr Seuss.

About brug cuttings, yes, cuttings from slightly older branches do root better as Gita always tells us. The 3 Dr Seuss cuttings I got from Gita were twice as thick as what I got from online and they all rooted beautifully. Very generous of Gita.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9413959

[quote="donnerville"] Very generous of Gita. [/quote]

Yup, that describes Gita. =)

orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9415030

ROSES ARE RED:The Aurigula seeds that I have are from Europe they have a nice tangy taste .The Aurigula do relatively well but as soon as it get's hot they start bolting and reseed themselves which is fine with me , I have a second crop in the fall.They are cold weather plants like radishes. I also started some Mache but it is not doing much I think that the seedswere too old. The area where I have my vegetable garden get sun and shade alternatively all day which keep the plants from getting over heated and I use less water , it is also an area that is protected from the wind and my tomatoes produce longer. Gorgeous Brugmansia.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9415068

Orchid, isn't it wonderful how we get two crops of the arugula. Mine are in full sun, so the first crop is much shorter lived than the second which seems to last forever.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9415216

Ric and I are still not well and we really missed out on a great fun day with the kids and Grands. Here is my family at the local ski resort for a day of tubing. Besides Ric and I we are missing Jamie's wife Deb (sick) and Julies SO Ron (working). What a fun day they all had together. So nice to see my adult children spending a day together and all the cousins bonding.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9415347

Oh what GREAT family photos!!!!!!! Looks like they're all having a lot of fun, I'm so sorry you guys couldn't make it!! =( Please keep warm, well-fed, and get better soon!! ((((HUGS!!)))))

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9415358

Lovely photos! What fun! That pink rabbit hat (or is a completely different animal"?) is so cute, perfect for the cute girl in it.

Hope you and Ric feel better soon.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9415395

So that would be youngest son Jamie with GS JR (9) on the left, oldest Daughter Julie with SO's daughter Marissia (8) then my twins Josh with SO Courtney and Jen with family husband Matt Lily (5) and Lucas (4). They had a great day took lots of pictures and Josh & Courtney stopped by to tell us all about it and download their pictures into my computer. They all have such busy lives so it is really nice to see them get a day to get together.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9415615

Holly--Which one is YOU?
Is Ric in the group shot?

I can't tell--everyone is so bundled up! Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9415660

No Gita, Ric and I didn't go we are still not well enough for that type of outthing. I can't handle any cold air with my lungs like this.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9416013

Quick question!

Where do you get your roses?

Do you recommend buying roses from a local nursery, or ordering a bareroot from a specialty online nursery?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9416411

I get inexpensive smaller roses at Chamblees, really nice roses at Palatine, Heirloom and Regans (all online). Whenever I see a rose in a big box store I buy them. If I cultivate and feed them correctly they usually survive.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9416516

I have no sources of roses but just wanted to note a general Be Aware caution of ongoing reports of rose rosette disease around the country and in the Mid Atlantic area. So, buyer beware and learn what to look for to decrease the likelihood that you will introduce this disease to your roses.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244494/ reports and discussion

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232240/ pictures

And from the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service:
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-620/450-620.htm

Last year I spotted seven different diseased roses on seven difeerent properties on my paper route and some infected plants being sold at a big box store. Ignorance is not bliss in this situation. Thanks for listening and to all of you who read my posts and don't just skip over them because they might be a bummer! I know it is hard to hear about devastating diseases of hosta, coleus, impatiens, roses and even stink bugs! Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9416556

Judy--Thanks!

I will keep an eye out for these roses and how they look at my HD.
Is this Virus mostly seen on Knock Out Roses?
You truly are the "Garden Watchdog" for us all. Thank you!

Now--gonna ask you to remember if it was YOU who first alerted us to the
horrible Virus that was devastating all the Impatiens around the country/World??

I had had my Imps die a slow death for 2 years already and had no idea why!
I took some pictures and I copied out the information and took it to work and gave it to
Sue--my favorite Bell Nursery lady, and asked to pass it on to her higher-ups. She did.

I do not know the route this information took after that--but let me tell you this:

BELL NURSERY WILL NOT BE CARRYING ANY IMPATIENS THIS SEASON BECAUSE OF
THIS INFORMATION!
I can already hear the ruckus from customers! The impatiens is almost the
#1 favorite garden plant in the USA>

Perhaps they looked further into this? Perhaps someone else already had this information?
Perhaps--they have me to thank--and I have YOU to thank. Who knows>????

Keep up the good work--and, I am sure, most of us eagerly read all you post.

Gita

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9416579

Gita: That is horrible news about impatiens -- no matter how over-used they may be, I love them!

Aspen and Donner: I'm responding very late on the container question I posed. I didn't realize that the fiberglass containers don't last long -- and I really don't want to deal with taking care of ceramic or terracotta ones.

Gita: Thanks for the offer of the plastic pot. I have a lot of those -- my goal is to move to better-looking pots this year, for at least some plants.

Question to all: What is the best bet for long-lasting containers for outside? I know terracotta is out, and I now know that fiberglass doesn't last long...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9416607

Happy--

I have a couple large pots that look just like stone/concrete that have been sitting
outside for years and still look good. They are NOT the ones made from "foam"--
but really a solid kind of material.

I would say--look for these "stone" looking pots. They are quite decorative and long lasting.

Gonna go out and take a couple pictures to show you. Hold on...

1--I have 2 of these. Got them at HD several years ago on clearance. I plant my Brugs in these...
2--This one is a real heavy duty something...Not the 'foam"--not Plastic...don't know what it is made of.
This is my big pot I always use for a BIG combo planter
3--Combo planter--July 2012

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9416660

Started new thread here for news and discussion of Impatiens Downy Mildew Disease

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298071/

Yes, Gita, I did alert us here to this disease of impatiens but the horticulture/bedding plant industry has been aware of its presence in this country since at least 2004. There is no cure, only preventative measures, mostly applicable only by commercial growers and suppliers, and, as I understand it, can mask any identifiable symptoms of diseased plants until after sold and planted by the consumer whose growing conditions cannot be as controlled for Impatiens Downey Mildew growth as in a commercial green house, Spores live, overwinter for two or more years in the soil and can be splashed up onto a healthy plant when watering, etc. Anywway, thanks for getting the word out and see you over on new thread! Judy

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9416889

I've just spent the last hour reading all the provided posts you shared Judy, (and their accompanying sub-posts), and WOW, I am floored!!! I've never grown roses, I've only cared for them at work, and I had never heard of this before. This will stay at the very tip-top of my mind when I return to work in a few weeks!! My first day I'm going to walk through all the rose beds with an eagle eye and share my findings with BossLady.. and pray that I *have* no findings to report!

Thank you a TON for sharing this Judy!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9417086

Oh those rose pictures are so sad... I'll buy locally and look very carefully at the roses before purchasing anything. thank you so much for the info!
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9417426

How dreadful. I looked at the rose pictures , heart breaking. Is there anything that can be done about it .Several years ago fire blight killed my roses, my Amalanchier the Pyracantha all that in less than eight weeks. One of the roses was New Dawn, the rose was huge and wrapped around my porch and bloomed at the same time as my clematis Jackmanii. it was horrible. Would copper sulfate work?
My roses bloomed all the way to the first big frost non stop. they bloom most of the summer, they are in an area that get full sun and shade at different time of the day. They are the David Austin roses . I like his roses for their fragrance.

Picture taken in January of one of my roses. Rose with seeding anemones . Anyone want anemones seeds?

Thumbnail by orchidfancy   Thumbnail by orchidfancy         

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9417525

Orchidfancy, New Dawn is one of the roses I was looking to buy... That is awfully sad what happened to yours.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9417532

Oh so heart breaking. I have White Dawn growing on my fence with clematis.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9419056

It is beautiful out there today and pretty warm as well. We had a nice light wet snow last night and left everything looking so pretty this morning. It is all pretty much gone now. Only a bit in the shady areas.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9419095

Ah pretty

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
4:22 AM

Post #9419593

I have the same feeling about that snow scenery pic as I did in my childhood. Always awesome.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9419624

[quote="ROSES_R_RED"]I have the same feeling about that snow scenery pic as I did in my childhood. Always awesome.[/quote]

IT's so special and fleeting! At least in Mid Atlantic.
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9420660

I love to watch the snow fall sitting by the fireplace with some friends and sip on some hot buttered rum. The only time that I really enjoy it never touch it otherwise... Since we seldom have snow well I do enjoy the fireplace on but no hot buttered rum LOL . I got up with a cold and I am so upset I cant go to the seeds swap because i would be swapping more than seeds. That i do not want to do... snifff sniff

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9420664

oh darn!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9420729

Oh Orchidfancy, I was so looking forward to seeing you again. Take care of your self.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9421111

I sure hope you get better SOON, Orchid!! Maybe a Hot Toddy would be in order for you?

I wasn't able to make it today either, been working HARD on this Topsy-turvy house, and quite frankly, I'M POOPED!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9422291

There was some talk at the Seed Swap about a possible group trip to Mt. Cuba this spring. So I started a new thread for us to discuss the possibly.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298702/

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9423144

President's Holiday, so I am off. Having a great time potting up more seeds, figuring out a timer for my plant shelf lights, and potting up dried up things that I found when cleaning out the garden "stuff" pile in the basement. I found a paper bag of 3 begonia picotee bridesmaid and a paper bag of 15 oxalis brigit. I got them from a coop a few years back, and never planted them. It didn't take much effort to pot them up, and it is kind of a fun experiment to see if anything grows. There are a few other orphan bags of things to try planting out next fall. The 10 amaryllis bulbs that I found and potted up two weeks ago are not doing anything other than sprouting morning glory seeds that must have been in the soil I reused from last years' seed starting effort LOL. Jill told me to try a heat mat under them, so I just finished setting that up. Hope that does the trick. I love these days off - time for a nap...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9424145

I used some of the gritty mix to make up 3 little succulent nurseries. They are Burros tail and Jade plant babies. At least the cats don't eat these.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9424166

My cat eats everything, so i have to keep overwintering tropicals in the room over the garage. But the few plants I keep in the kitchen the cat considers as fair game. That being said, I bought a lemon grass and a cat grass when Jill took us to Dutch Farms (or whatever it is called) following the swap. The cat grass was advertised as something good for cats that would help with hairballs, and we thought it might deter the cat from the few remaining indoor plants. The cat headed straight for the lemon grass before we could hide it, ate a lot, and threw up. We put the lemon grass in the room over the garage. The cat steadfastly ignores the cat grass.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9424206

Happy--et al with cats---(PS--I done have any at the time)

If you sprayed the cat(s) with water every time they went to eat your plants,
would he/she not, eventually, learn to leave that plant alone???
Thinking along the lines of Behavior Modification. Cats hate water...

What is that show on TV where the man comes into your home and teaches you
how to change the wild behaviors of the client's cats and dogs???

...Just wondering...G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9424441

Gita -- might work, provided one were paying sufficient attention to notice when cat attacked the plants. But often we don't.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9424533

we're trying the water spray trick- our cat is learning to "be wary while disobeying freely!!"

Cats can be so frustrating - what a downer, happy!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9424692

Maybe the lemon grass was to prevent hairballs, as an emetic. :-} LOL Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9424785

Random cat observations here. I have no indoor house plants aand haven't for many years.

In the Spring, my mostly indoor cats can't wait to get outside...like some primal force is driving them (Yes, they are 'fixed') they make a beeline for early clumps of grass or chives, long green and tender or, they chew on liriope leaves but don't eat them. My theory is that the grass/chive munchies are a spring tonic kind of intestinal cleanse (few hair balls) The chewing of the liriope leaves, biting them over and over, I think may have to do with dental cleansing or flossing with plant fibers. Cats are carnivores after all so I have found mine to be quite selective when it comes to plants ie, not just any plant will do.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9424806

Ric -- you are so right!

Coleup -- how can you not have house plants? You have such splendid tropicals -- all those Mona Lavenders. What do you do with them in the winter?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9424892

Happy, there is not a window in my house that will support the kinds of house plants I love and have grown before. Instead of keeping my tropicals, etc limping through the winter, we all mercifully go into semi-dormancy and my plants all stay on my unheated enclosed porch until it is safe to go outside again. Only one room to clean up dropped leaves from! Most winters I don't even go in to check on them.

I know it sounds weird, but remember that by my having worked for various greenhouse growers and years as a plant merchandizer, etc, I have more growing plant exposure than most people over a life time. I suppose this camels' hump of greeness and blooms helps me span the desert of winter blahs or cabin fever. And winter here really is so so short. More like a nap than a long sleep.

Do love those years I can get an early start on the Monas...that blue is just so special.

Thumbnail by coleup

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9426354

Just to let you know that Santa Rosa Gardens is selling what's left of their Echinaceas for under $4.00. I bought a bunch.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9426365

Roses -- I didn't see that sale. Maybe it was a one-day deal?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9426375

http://www.santarosagardens.com/Now-On-Sale-s/6383.htm
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9426381

Thanks! I went to the main web site and didn't see it. Not that I need any more plants, of course...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9426510

My son Josh and his partner Courtney are in a Cutest Couple contest. If you can please follow this link to the contest and vote.
They are listed under Cmohn13. Thanks Holly

http://unews27.whtm.com/Contests/ContestGallery.aspx?t=30&me=399

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9426543

I didn't register or sign in but it took my vote anyway. Is this the lovely young woman who helped you at your swap. She was something special that day.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9426565

I voted too! They are cute and wonderful!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9426570

Me too...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9426612

Thanks guys they are just such a nice couple, too.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9426649

Holly, I'll vote once I get home from work.

Hey Paul, with your interest in rhodies, have you ever run into a couple from Gambrills, MD who are big time into the rhodie societies at their local level and at the national level? Gambrills is near Severnal Park, Millersville, etc... Rosa was a coworker of mine for many years, and is now retired. She and her husband have the most fantastic 2 acre display garden at their home that they open to the public every year. When we worked together, I went several years but haven't made it over there since her retirement.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9426653

Aspenhill, how do I find out about these open garden events? Gambrills isn't far from me, and I'd love to visit their display garden. I've only killed 2 rhodies so far...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9426720

Aspen,

I haven't come across them. But there is more than one chapter in Maryland. Also believe it or not the Rhodo people don't consider themselves Azalea people and vice-versa. Is a square always a rectangle? The Rectangle is not always a square!

With the Mason-Dixon chapter of ARS. I have only been to one meeting to join, I do participate in work days and lend a hand at their plant sale around mothers day. With only a handful of meetings a year it is easy to miss most. It's possible they could be members of the chapter and I have not come across them, I believe M-D has over 100. Of course I could be mistaken. I'd love to see their plants as well.

If anybody is interested I can direct you to a member in Columbia who is very open to visitors. He has planted his rhodos across a few of his neighbors yards and the shared public land. He can name most of them without looking and loves giving tours. DM me if interested.

P

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 12:26 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9426757

Aspen, Happy, ss, Gita, etc,

I've just Dmailed Paul to see if he'd like to start a Rhod/Azalea thread for us. Sounds like there is interest and maybe some mini trips to set up as well as propagation tips and results to be shared. Yipeeeee

Maybe even the National Arboretum!?!

Thumbnail by coleup

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9426929

coleup---

I don't think it is necessary to always start a new thread, just because someone expresses an
interest in something.
These new Threads tend to just waste away...with about 12-15 posts...
It also becomes confusing to always have to go to this thread and that--which basically covers
nothing all that different than can be discussed in a "neck of the woods" Thread.

Just my opinion. Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9427004

Holly, Thank you, my vote has been posted! < =) Aaawww, they're so cute!!

And Paul, yes (to answer your question), a square is always a rectangle, quadrilaterals with all 4 angles being right angles. AKA: An Azalea is always a Rhododendron is an Ericaceae... I don't care what those snobs say. =P
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9427087

Thanks everyone for voting.
Yeah, I just don't understand the Azalea - Rhodie issue. But they sure are very pretty. Since we limbed up a few of the trees out front I have been able to plant a few more Azaleas, Rhodies and several other shade loving plants and shrubs.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9427099

Terp, I think the Potomac Valley chapter of ARS is actually closest to me. The president of that chapter has a beautiful garden in McLean that I'm going to try to visit as well. He has a gorgeous rhodo called Caroline that I want.

It's the top picture on this page, the huge pink one: http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/azaleas/new/landscaping.html

I'm gonna be all over the nurseries this spring, looking for this one. I hope it does better than my camellia, or the previous rhodo in that spot... :(

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9427122

My neighbor has a beautiful Rhodo. it is not uncommon--one of the more upright-growing ones.
Gorgeous purple/blue/pink blooms.
If I had room--I would root a cutting from it. She just bends down a branch, puts a brick on it--and in a
couple of years has a new bush. That was several years ago. She does not garden much any more.
She has back and hip problems. She also needs to lose about 50lbs so she can bend and move.

Here is her Rhodo.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9427352

Gorgeous!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9427525

In one of Devon's posts, she was jokingly talking about changing her DG name to shady_macomb or clay_macomb. It got me wondering about our DG names and how we came up with them.

I can figure out the ones that are based on your first name - like HollyAnnS, sallyg, Gitagal, Chantell, Jan23, flowAjen, rubyw, Bec_No_Va, JBerger

And I can guess that others came from hobbies or interests - like Roses_R_Red, orchidfancy, UMD_Terp, greenthumb99 (99 cuz the lower sequential numbers were taken and David was tired of trying to find the next available one LOL), ssgardener (ss - silver springs?), critterologist (I think cuz of her background education as a biologist? and interest in animals of all kinds)

But others, hmmmmmm...
coleup?
happy_macomb?
speediebean?
Catbird423?
VA_Wild_Rose?

Others I know, because I asked:
ecnalg - backward glance, isn't that creative?
donnerville - her family home in England

And last - mine, aspenhill - the name of my place in Lucketts. Many properties in Loudoun County are named, and I came up with Aspen Hill in memory of Aspen, an American Eskimo dog who was my constant companion during the house building years. My DG profile pic is of Aspen as a pup and is used for the "Aspen Hill" logo.

Thumbnail by aspenhill

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9427573

((((Aspen)))))

Hey, fun, I didn't know some of those 'name stories'
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9427649

Same kind of thing with passwords. We have a sheet of paper with all the ones we use. Hard to remember them all. CRAZY!!! Then when they want you to change them is frustrating!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9427652

Aspen Hill, I thought had an unusual for this area stand of Aspen trees as a name origin!

I am guessing that 'Buttoneer" is for the collecting and selling of antique buttons.

I'm sure most of us know that sallg resides in castle anne arundel...but no she has moved again!!!!

Thought Happy's name could be "SSS"macomb" for Steep Shady Slope.

Me? Coleup? Coleup is a typo of Coleus the reason I found Daves to talk with other coleus lovers and then MAF because maybe some lived close enough to trade stories and plants.! I had 102 named varieties when I joined and have grown almost 300 lifetime, Don't know why, but coleus make me happy!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9427664

Judy, that is funny. I thought it had something to do with your love of coleus, but what was coleup? Never imagined it was a typo legacy LOL.

And we sure can have a laugh with variations for Devon, but I will always associate her ever present smile with the handle "happy" forever more..
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9427670

Catbird reminds me of the catbird seat which of course I've never read...

Va wild rose congers up rambling over hill and dale with camera in hand of course!

Ruby is a real gem even if that's not her name!

And what is onewishes 'wish?

Is Jan still only 23?

Chantell. of course is 'lovely song' and greenthumb99 is 'ready to turn over or identify any new leaf'
!Is UMD Terp a student or a terrapin fancier or a doctor of the universe?

And, who knows what Rics' screen name would be if it wasn't Holly!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9427702

LOL, I tried to get him his on screen name but he won't go. LOL
I do know that Happy's name is her Stripper Name. For those that don't know what your stripper name would be. It is a mix of your first pet and the street you lived on when a child. So my SN would be Tammy Park. Like gee Tammy you can Park it here...(wink wink). That gives us a whole other discussion.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9427745

Holly!!! Lol.

I think i'm Marquette Jandy. Terrible.

Judy- I'm an alum of Maryland and a fanatic. And I love almost anything outdoors.

Holly I always thought it was a shared name by design. HollyAnnS= Holly Annd Sometimes Ric...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9427757

ROFLOL
I tried to get DG to give me some kind of family discount for Ric to have his own acct but they wouldn't /couldn't give me a discount and Ric won't pay full price just to have his own separate postings. So we just confuse you all instead. LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9427761

Oh, this is getting good. Judy's wit is too funny, and I like Paul's "Holly Annd Sometimes Ric" interpretation.

Stripper names??? First heard of that one. I guess mine would sound very very haughty... (haughty said with an English accent). How does Winchester Abbington grab you? Not very va va va voom I'm afraid.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9427775

http://washingtonexaminer.com/gardeners-should-plant-with-warming-weather-patterns-in-mind/article/2522214

A little article that was fwd to me this morning, thought i'd pass it along.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9427790

Thanks, Terp, or should I call you MJ. Heehee.

I would be Queenie Main and will ALWAYS be 23. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9427795

When I was trying to choose a "user name"--(back in 2003)--I went through a pile of garden-related names..
The first I wanted was "gardengal"--but that was taken--of course! So--after 15 minutes of trying to come up with
something I liked--I decided to insert my real name. How many Gitas can there be? hence--"gitagal".

Not to give up on gardengal--it became the first part of my e-mail address...gardengalgita--------

Wish I could come up with a Stripper name--just for laughs--but i did not grow up in the USA and never
had a pet as a child.
LOL---When i first read about "Happy" having a Stripper name--I, immediately, thought that maybe
she had been a stripper in her younger days...

coleup--I always figured that your name was connected to Coleus...

Re "onewish"--at Holly's first Swap--I asked her--"So! What is your ONE wish"????
Her reply was--"I'll never tell!"...

"greenthunmb" had a name twin on GW, where i spent my first 2 years as a member of a gardening website.
Except--his name was "TNgreenthumb". He helped me learn a lot about Brugs. His were trees!!!

Yes! This is a neat topic!!! Hm...maybe I will start a new Thread...;o}...just kidding...smile!.

Gita

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9427920

My name-catbird423- came about because I had a cat (only 1 at the time) and my name is Robin, hence the bird part, the numbers are me birthday. Now that you all know that I shall expect wonderful birthday wishes from all of you, lol.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9428046

I'm in tears... this is a hilarious thread. :)

SS just stands for Silver Spring. And my SN couldn't be more awful -- Tigger Plymouth. How's that for a sexy name!

Aspenhill, your SN is absolutely the best. Sounds really expensive... :)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9428097

Oh no! My stripper name would be, are you ready for this? "Booty Mickey's Inn". I don't even want to think about it. ROTFL Ric

I think I like Tammy Park a lot better!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9428183

Marquette Jandy and Winchester Abbington...college kids at some ivy league.

Queenie Main and Tammy Park- cook and waitress work at the local favorite diner.

Tigger Plymouth...

Booty Mickey's Inn...

Hm my first real pet I named Powerful Pud (hamster) But we earlier had a cat who would come by from the neighbor's and liked to come in our house, named Tramp. And Harwood.

Pud Harwood??

You can tell we are all stuck in the house way too much this time of year.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9428195

Not me! I have a GH to busy my wee mind. The 2nd sowing of Pansy are up and growing, ready the end of March, I hope? LOL Ric

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9428249

"Pud Hardwood"!?!?!? Haahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!! Hmmm... I guess my SN would be "Bugsy Muscatine". Sounds more like a cheap 1930's thug!

My username.. well, a long time ago, when I was "into" NASCAR, I was visiting my Mom. We went shopping and ... y'all remember those "beanie babies"? Well, we found these "beanie" cars, like NASCAR cars.. and on the tag was the name "Speediebeanie"... I just HAD to have it. Bought a #6 car, for my favourite driver at the time (Mark Martin), and "borrowed" the name on the tag while I was at it. ;)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9428268

Another acronym for NASCAR, Not All Sportsmen Care About Racing! LOL Ric
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9428333

Yep, cabin fever it must be!! Hilarious!!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9428375

That's Powerful Pud Hardwood to you, Speediebean (aka covers a lot of ground quickly).

Bugsy Muscadine used to hang out at Mickey's Inn near the small town of Bootsville, especially after a big auto race. One night because of a dispute about racey postings in the town, Sheriff "Tramp" Hardwood, younger brother of "Puddin", under color of typographic legacy, deputized Queenie Main and Tammy Park to immediately change all of the town welcome signs to " Bootyville Estates" and Bootsville was no more .

Because of this name change Marquette Jandy, famous for his debates on "When is a square a rectangle?"and Winchester Abbington, developer of the "Endless Pond" for dogs who love to swim, driving back from college that night never did find their way back home and ended up in Maryland with The Tigger Plymouth Band, originally from England, who often appear in swap concerts with Happy Macomb and the Gitagal Volleyballers.

Tammy and Mickey eventually got together and in a nod to the letter of the law changed the Inn's neon sign to Booty Mickeys Inn as that's all there was room for although rumor has it that one of Mickey's projects is to build a better sign as soon as he finishes his mapping (Sorry, typo legacy again) napping.

Sadly, with "bootsy"" already taken, my SN second choice is 78 Mittens. Sigh. In my cabin fever delirium I may change it to third choice Maxie (typo) Free Delivery.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 9:44 PM

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 9:52 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9428377

sooo funny!! I had a feeling you'd come up with a good story, Maxie!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9428415

Hillarious--Judy!!! Your mind works like a well oiled turbine...

Well--my daughters got their first kittens when they were about 7 and 10??
They were brother and sister--all black and white. The girls named them Tina and Taffy.
Of course--they were my first pets as well. The kids bring them home--and the parents take care of them.

Now--The street in Latvia that i grew up on (til age 7) was called Prince Street. (translating from "Princu" here).
So--I suppose I could be Tina Prince or Taffy Prince. Take your pick! I like Taffy Prince better, as I have a sweet tooth.

There! Now I don't feel so left out...;o(

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9428460

ok Taffy

Taffy Prince sounds like a Candyland character
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9428531

OMG so you are the Taffy Prince (originally of Candyland) who started The Taffy Prince National HousePlant Arboretum and YUK Beds half way between Mickey's Inn and Castle Arundel? Wow. No wonder Bootyville Estates is so lovely!

I have heard about your plans to establish fig growing in the area along with the Brugmansia and cc campaigns. Your on-line advice and tutorials are priceless! Is it true that you have been nominated to receive the N Diamond Prolific Plant Propagator Award? You are a household name in Bootyville Estates!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9428690

The Taffy Prince of Booty(in-the-air)ville Estates!! < =D

Haahahahaaa, Judy, I am LOVING your stories!!!!!!!!!! < =D
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9428694

ROFLOL, I just knew this would get hysterical.
So I am working this weekend just 2 days Fri and Sat for 6 hours each day. I am working at the local Garden Expo this time so much more interesting than the last job at the Car Show. LOL I went in a little early so I could look around for a little bit, didn't take more than 15 minutes before I bought a plant.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9428791

Agreed!!! Looking forward to the continuing saga of Bootyville estates.

Nice gig, Holly.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9428808

...BLUSH...Judy!
Happens all the time when my "booty" id elevated...
N(eil) Diamond Award??? I am speechless--which seldom happens...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9428809

Glad you said that Queenie as a newcomer to town I am fascinated by the history embodied in this place. For instance...

Did you know that a reality show pilot was done called "The Real Gardeners of Bootyville Estates"?
It first aired just over seven years ago, Feb 10, 2006 to be exact. Unfortunately most of the footage is no longer available for airing, but many posts and story lines have been preserved giving a good glimpse into the outline of the town and its gardeners.

I also was able to unearth a 'cast of characters' referred to as a RollCall in olden times and have found it to be insightful and entertaining for this dreary day. See if you agree
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865911/

Love, Maxie
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9428812

oops, cross posted with you Taffy. Yes, yes, yes the N(eil) Diamond Award!!!! Ceremonies tba when he is next in town.
Maxie

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9428815

OK--Before all this SN nonsense dies down--we need a roster of who is what.

Judy--YOU are nominated! I have NO idea who said what their SN's are.
You must be keeping a running list already, Judy.

T.P.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9428874

Taffy, Taffy, taffy I'm afraid you will have to get your stunt double Tina to concoct such a roster as my well-oiled turban is in for, well, re-oiling and I'm ever so busy procuring replacement mittens for those I lost in the high winds this week.

Your friend and neighbor, Maxed Out Maxie
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9429159

Thank you for thinking about me when I was sick. I had some sort of cold that kept me down for several days . I have not been on the computer until today and let my husband sort all my mail for me . He is so sweet. Other issues have come up that are more than a cold , Can't win all the time. I have been thinking about doing some gardening and starting some seeds but only thinking.
One good thing all my Orchids are in various blooming state and this is good I cant wait for the weather to break so I can outside regardless of what , wing, little rain I just go into the greenhouse and start something.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9429344

Judy--
You are so good at looking up things...
Could you try to find, and post, a listing of what diseases which tomatoes
are resistant to? Please!
Because of my blight last 2 years--I want to try one, regular tomato (hybrid)
but would like to choose the one that will make it...Maybe Celebrity?
Won't grow the heirloom ones---they don't seem to have any disease resistance...

I have THREE seeds someone sent me that will try to grow. it is called Black Cherry.
Want to grow that as my cherry d'jour. However--it IS an heirloom.

http://www.burpee.com/heirloom-seeds-and-plants/heirloom-tomatoes/tomato-black-cherry-prod001929.html?cid=PPC&gclid=CPnu57TqzbUCFYWo4AodVi8AvA

Thanks, Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9429712

You guys are TOO funny -- nearly spilled my coffee!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9429984

[quote="orchidfancy"]Thank you for thinking about me when I was sick. I had some sort of cold that kept me down for several days . I have not been on the computer until today and let my husband sort all my mail for me . He is so sweet. Other issues have come up that are more than a cold , Can't win all the time. I have been thinking about doing some gardening and starting some seeds but only thinking.
One good thing all my Orchids are in various blooming state and this is good I cant wait for the weather to break so I can outside regardless of what , wing, little rain I just go into the greenhouse and start something. [/quote]

Orchid, sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Here's hoping you'll be able to get outside and into your greenhouse for some r and r. And share some pictures on our houseplant thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299412/ so we can all drool over your blooming orchids!

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9430210

Fellow MAGers I have these small sample beer glasses I need to be rid of. They hold about 5 ounces of fluid and are as a tall as a $1 bill, as pictured. They might be good for holding small cuttings, they are slender so they don't take up that much space. LMK. I'll be at the spring swap so I can bring them there or arrange something else. Glasses read "heavy seas brewery". Picture enclosed.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9430283

I will take a couple---I take everything anyone has...:o)
I root a lot of cuttings. They look perfect. maybe three? Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9430305

Sounds great Gita!!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9430661

I have a bag of moisture crystals and shrub fertilizer tablets from Becky. There are other items from her garden that I'll be bringing to the spring swap, but I wanted to post these now, just in case anyone wanted to pick them up to use right away. Please DM me if you're interested!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9433698

What a great new adventure for Becky, I sure am going to miss her.
Ric has been seed starting the last few days and is down in the GH working. Besides the seed starting he is diving a small pot of Mondo Grass. He wants to get enough to plant around the edge of one of the water features. I'm going down to see how many little starts he divided it into. While I was down there looking around this morning I found this Mini Amaryllis getting ready to bloom. The Orchid that is going to bloom soon is still down there I will wait till it is further along before I bring it up to the house. I must say that all Ric's hard work getting the GH up and $$ heating it was very well worth it. We are both getting so much enjoyment from it. Heading out side to check out the crocus and check on Ric. Might have more pics later.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9433936

Hey--ALL---

Home Depot has just gotten in the packaged Roses. They look SO nice and sturdy--
as no one has pawed all over then and broken the stems yet.

They are $7.99 each. There are Hybrids,climbers and Knock-out Roses in this rack.
Such nice fat stems--all waxed and healthy.
Maybe i should buy me a red "Mr. Lincoln"--or a "Queen Elizabeth"--a lovely pink.

Yeah---maybe...which one of my old ones will I be willing to dig up and get rid of????
Not sure...IF...G.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9433977

Sounds good, Gita.

Well, baby Thomas is going in for a sleep study tonight and then in the morning they will do a sweat test for cystic fibrosis. Knowing God is in control I am actually feeling okay.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9434040

Oh Jan. Many hugs. Amazing how God's great big 'whole world' hands can reach and gently touch even the teeney tiny baby. Prayers for your newest Grand and family.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9434063

Thank you, dear. You have such a way with words!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9434112

THinking of you and THomas and his mom and dad...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9434576

My prayers are coming Thomas' way as well.

Gita, does HD have forsythia yet? Last year they carried a particular cultivar I want (it's called "gold tide").

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9434660

Happy--

I was there yesterday--and the only thing I saw was the early fruit trees and ornamentals.
Will look when we get Forsythias in. should be soon.

I am only at work for 2 or 3 days and may miss it. I work Sunday--8:30-5:30. Lunch-12:30-1:30. Will check.
What should I do if one of those comes in??? You can call my HD at: 410-78-9200.
I will be answering the phone except for my lunch. They can page me--I will pick up in the break room.

There's a HD in Silver Spring... also in Bowie. May be even more...
I know there are 2 HD's in/around Annapolis. One is South Annapolis-.the other is somewhere IN Annapolis. .
Judy (coleup) could check for you. She lives right IN Annapolis.

G.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9434675

Gita -- I didn't mean to burden you with extra chores -- just thought you might have noticed. My nearest HD is probably 20 minutes away, so I don't browse there much.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9434696

NO burden! Pick it out--pay for it--and take it home.
Then--figure out a way to get it to you.

If i wait until the Swap--they will be done blooming. That is why I thought you could call and check
some of the HD's around you.
Of course--finding someone who actually knows what a Forsythia looks like may be a miracle.
They are all hiring now for the season. Heaven help the customers !

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9434704

You're sweet to offer. It appears Gold Tide is currently $20 at HD (based on the website), so I'll have to wait for a sale...

ForestFarm has it for $12...

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 3:44 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9434726

Happy, I have plenty of Forsythia to share, but I have no idea what variety it is.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9434734

forsythia, happy? really? I'd love someone to come set off a warhead on that 200 foot hedge along me.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9434781

The Gold Tide forsythia is very low -- only a couple feet high -- which is why I want it. It is good for covering embankments.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9434861

Happy--

The early spring shipments usually sell out. Don't wait for a sale--there won't be any this early.
People actually call asking if we have Forsythias when we are sold out.

Get one wherever you can find it if you want it that badly.
Forest farms' may be a smaller size to and therefore less expensive.

Maybe someone reading this has one and can send you cuttings. They root fast!

G.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9434986

I just got home from clothes shopping and a hair cut. Clothes shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. I actually hate it and rarely go. When I do need something, I procrastinate as long as possible. I have a work event at the Navy Yard Museum tomorrow evening and need to dress up. I haven't worn or even owned a dress in at least 15 or 20 years. Fashion queen I am not. I bought a slightly above knee length skirt, a nice top, black tights, high heels, and something similar to "spanks" to contain/hide all my fat rolls LOL. I usually wear slacks, a sweater or blouse, and flat shoes (even sneakers) to work. I can't concentrate if I'm not comfortable - if I could get away with wearing sweats I would. As it is, I'm usually dressed more casually than anyone else. I'm a little nervous, but my sense of humor is kicking in thinking how shocked my coworkers are going to be when I show up in that get-up. If I somehow attempted to wear makeup, it would put them over the edge. Wish me luck that I don't topple off those high heels...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9434991

You'll be great Terri. Good luck!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9435093

Forsythia over the years have had many varieties so happy is smart to choose a selection and not take cuttings The hedge I inherited shows mixed kinds and i hate it, as much as one can hate a classic suburbanite " first bloom of spring shrub". Its almost buddleia-like in its yearly growth and the neighbor and I spar over chopping off hedgelike or thinning more naturalistic!

terri you go girl, a makeover!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9435173

Hey, Terri. Did you shock them today with the new image?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9435223

Oh Terri, as much as you hate dressing up I know you will have a great time and your co-workers will be stunned.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9435382

I am right there with you about hating to shop, but I am sure you will shine.

Hedge or natural. Hmmmmm... I am on the team natural side for forsythia and I cringe when I see it pruned Into a box.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9435902

How about a "natural hedge"? < =D I like those!!

Terri, any chance you got a pic of yourself all dressed up and with somewhere to go? =) We won't poke fun at you, honest! < =D I bet you looked WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! (and I hope your little piggies aren't too sore from those shoes!)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9435936

Definitely a 'natural' hedge. Heehee

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9436751

The event last evening at the Navy Yard Museum was really nice. The event was to honor Rear Admiral Grace Hopper. She was an amazing woman, and the namesake behind our IT Directorate. She was an inspiration on many levels - founder of significant IT advances and a pioneer for women in the Navy. She was featured on 60 minutes, and received awards from presidents. She is credited with the term "bug" and "debugging" which came from a moth that had gotten in to a relay switch causing computer malfunction. The actual moth is in the Smithsonian. If you are interested, you can read about her on Wikipedia and check out photos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=grace+hopper&qpvt=grace+hopper&FORM=IGRE

I have been a mentor on my area of subject matter expertise to a younger co-worker for about a year now. She is a fast learner, proactive, and always goes the extra mile. She has been a much needed relief for taking on half of my work load, and has become a friend. When our new CAPT came on board a few months ago, he wanted someone to head up a "Heritage" committe to gather memorabilia on ADM Hopper. Jennifer volunteered, and did a fantastic job tracking things down - photos, articles, video clips from numerous inspirational speeches, awards, honorary degrees, and even her Vassar year book. The event last evening was timed for the first day of Women's History Month and was the unveiling of the memorabilia. All ranks of USN officers, enlisted, and civilian men and women were there.

Photos are of Jennifer and I, Jennifer with her son, Jennifer's husband, and last but not least a group of women civilian coworkers.

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9436762

My opinion on forsythia - natural. I dislike the box, clipped, hedge look. I think forsythia is actually quite pretty if it isn't over done.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9436918

Girl you are looking good! Looks like you all had a really good time.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9438423

Love that top, very stylish!! Sounds like you had a great time.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9438437

I saw this on Pinterest. Can anyone id what the purple flowers are?
http://pinterest.com/pin/323555554449002913/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9438478

Maybe phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge'?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9438579

You are looking great, Terri!!!

Thank you for the story of Rear Admiral Grace Hopper. I am very familiar with the terms "bug" and "debugging". One of my professors in grad school loved telling stories about computer technologies in the early days, and he was one who told us where the term "debugging" came from :-).

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9438898

Just got this on the "Patch" newsletter tonight,
Seems we are in for a nasty storm and lots of snow later this week.

Here is a c/p of what was sent:

Dear Neighbors:

The following is a message from BGE regarding a significant winter storm in the forecast for later this week:

Baltimore Gas and Electric Company Prepares for Significant Winter Storm; Encourages Customers to Prepare Families and Homes In Advance

Customers reminded they may now report power outages from mobile phones and devices through company's new mobile website at bge.com or by calling 877.778.2222

BGE is initially requesting up to 500 out-of-state utility workers through the mutual assistance networks

BALTIMORE, March 4, 2013 Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE) today announced that it is closely monitoring an approaching weather front that will likely bring heavy, wet snow and wind gusts of up to 50 miles per hour across the majority of its central Maryland service area on Wednesday. Snow accumulations are forecasted to reach between six to 15 inches. Coupled with high wind gusts, heavy, wet snow can cover tree limbs, electric delivery equipment and power lines, and cause power outages. BGE is making an initial request for up to 500 out-of-state utility workers through the mutual assistance networks. Just as the company is preparing field crews and employees to respond to potential power outages resulting from the forecasted weather, the company reminds its customers to take the time now to make preparations.

It is important to note that customers may now report power outages from mobile phones and devices through the company's new mobile website at bge.com or by calling 877.778.2222. An enhanced power outage map is also available through the mobile and full websites, and provides the general location and status of current electric power outages in BGE's service area. Customers can view affected area(s), the number of customers affected by an outage, estimated time of restoration if available, and the status of the field crew assigned to repair the issue.

"While the forecast for Monday and Tuesday remains mild, we expect conditions to drastically change with the approaching winter storm that will likely impact BGE's service area on Wednesday and Thursday," said Jeannette M. Mills, vice president and chief customer officer for BGE. "Heavy, wet snow combined with high wind and wind gusts can weaken trees, bringing whole trees and tree limbs down onto power lines and other electric delivery equipment, and cause outages. The safety of our employees and customers is our top priority, and in periods of sustained high wind, it may be unsafe to operate bucket trucks. Customers should prepare for the possibility of extended power outages in the event that the snowfall causes treacherous road conditions, which may delay crew travel and restoration times. We appreciate our customers' efforts to prepare in advance for adverse weather and to assist BGE in identifying and reporting outages and downed wires through our recently introduced mobile website at bge.com or our automated phone system at 877.778.2222."

As a reminder, BGE customers who may be elderly, disabled or dependent on electricity for medical or life-sustaining equipment (Customers with Special Needs), should always have alternate arrangements in place should they experience an extended power outage.

BGE encourages its customers and employees to proactively prepare for severe weather and the possibility of power outages and to take steps to ensure the safety of their families and property during service interruptions by taking the following steps:

Stay informed Be aware of changing weather conditions and plan ahead. Have a battery-powered radio with a weather band so you can hear emergency information when the power is out.
Make a plan Discuss and document an emergency plan with those in your care. Develop a family emergency plan that includes alternative arrangements should the need arise to leave your home. Make provisions for special needs of any family member such as the elderly, disabled, medically affected or infants. If you are dependent on electric-powered medical equipment, you are encouraged to seek alternate arrangements in the event that your electric service is interrupted.
Make a list of emergency phone numbers (including 877.778.2222 to report an outage or a downed wire to BGE) and keep a personal telephone book and one corded phone or a cell phone on hand.
Build an emergency kit Keep enough emergency supplies on hand for you and those in your care. Remember supplies for children, those with special needs and pets.
Keep the following items readily available:
Flashlights not candles
Fresh batteries
Battery-operated clock radio
Corded telephone
Fully charged cell phone
Non-perishable foods
Water one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days for drinking and sanitation
First aid kit
Local maps
Blankets

Customers also should consider filling the fuel tanks of their vehicles in the event a power outage affects service to neighborhood gas stations. For customers who rely on well water, filling a bathtub with water in advance of severe weather is strongly encouraged.

In addition to monitoring current and approaching weather conditions that could result in service interruptions, BGE regularly conducts emergency training drills during which all aspects of storm-related service restoration are tested. BGE's most recent drill occurred last October, and involved a detailed review of BGE's Electric Delivery Emergency Response Plan to ensure that storm response procedures are up-to-date and in line with industry standards.

Customers can find information on preparing for natural disasters and other emergency events at bge.com, as well as storm preparation information and restoration progress via BGE's social media sites on Twitter and Facebook.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9438907

I just read some of that ( six to fifteen inches) to my 16 yr old son who responded

"YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!"
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9438938

Of course he did!! Heehee. The kids at Jeff's school have been wanting a snow day. Actually, who am I kidding, Jeff has been wanting a snow day!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9439125

wow, Jan, it's like you're still next door! how awesome you can still be in touch like this ! Is it cold out there/

Jeeze, Annapolis forecast just said 6 to 10 inches. we might get to use that new shovel we got at clearance at target last week!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9439142

There was frost this morning and i had to scrape the windows, but it was very sunny and warmed up. Isn't technology amazing?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9439146

Sally, When your son gets done shoveling your snow send him over to do mine. LOL Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
11:42 PM

Post #9439168

can't sleep= excited about the snow coming! going to get firewood ready tomorrow.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9439240

I'm excited about the snow, too. I just love snow. Sitting here in the warm looking out the big windows at the beautiful scene outside is just wonderful. Ric's view of the snow is just a bit different, bundled up with several layers of clothes, with hat and mittens,behind the snow plow, behind the shovel. I just don't think he quite has the same appreciation of snow that I do.
Ric pulled a Judy a few days ago. He fell when he was picking up our plants and dislocated his shoulder and he is going in for carpal tunnel surgery on Monday so I don't think shoveling is exactly what he wants to do. Jamie will be working cleaning up the snow at work, he did come yesterday and carried up buckets of coal enough to hold us for a few days.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9439786

Oh Ric! No shoveling for you!! Hunker down, stay warm and let it melt and the youngun clear it.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9440105

Well Ric, what a bummer :( You need to take it easy.

I'm over run with stink bugs again. Every time the temp rises, they crawl out from wherever they've been hiding. Bouncing off the computer, landing on me, they are everywhere. With the snow and cold temps coming maybe I'll have a reprieve. UGH... Somebody needs to figure out how to exterminate them once and for all.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9440145

Teri--

have you heard/read about the traps you can make out of 2L soda bottles?

You cut the top third of the bottle off. Put a small LED light in the bottom of the bottle and then
replace the top INVERTED (open cap side down) into the bottle and tape it to the cut rim
so there are no openings left.
Tape some rough tape to the outside to make it easier for the Stink Bugs to crawl up the sides.
They are attracted to the light and will crawl up and drop into the bottle, but will not be able to
get back out (the inverted top).
Put these anywhere in the dark corners of your house, your attic or basement.
You will have loads of them in the bottles the next day.

How you dispose of them is up to you. Freeze them in a baggie---flush them down the toilet---
drown them all in a bucket of soapy water---etc...

Good luck! Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9440167

You got it Gita, They work very well. If you put the light under the bottle instead of in it you can put a little bit of water and dish detergent in the bottom that will kill them as well as trap them.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9440199

Well, It sure was a lovely day. Both Ric and I spent some time outside today. It was 36* when I went outside this morning about 42* when I came back inside, it was blue skies and sun shinning. It felt so good that I stayed out there. Did a bit of yard clean up cut back some dead stalks, burned off that small patch of Ornamental Grass and took down the Christmas Greens that were still hanging around. Ric had plenty of his own projects going, one was to prune the Apple Tree in Alfie's fenced yard. Did a bit of work inside as well, carried up a few plants from the GH that are going to bloom soon, potted up an Orchid and did a bit of house plant rearranging.
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9440398

SallyG: you got the right idea stock up on firewood and hunker down . Ronnie chopped enough firewood for couple days, stored it by the fireplace, we are set and in case of power outage at least we will be warm. We are just going to do nothing other enjoy the fireplace and do relax and enjoy the snow , so far not much just some mixed with rain not much more. Anyway good excuse to stay inside and start all the vegetable seeds. Happy snow day
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9440426

Orchidfancy and every one

We have a Special Edition Chat thread to talk about our snow day!

Come join us over here to report on your day.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301301/

Thumbnail by coleup

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9440985

DIL is out of surgery. Went well, surgeon said there were no surprises when he got inside. However, he suffered a torn ACL on the weekend and is walking around in a brace and on crutches. Standing for 4 hours for the surgery must have hurt. Now for the recovery.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9440988

Glad to hear the good news report!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9441019

Thank you!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9441165

Great news Jan, and still waiting on the sweat test results?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9441281

Thank you for reminding me, dear. Got word yesterday the sweat test came back negative for cystic fibrosis and the sleep study showed no major issues, but they are still going over the whole thing.Praising God.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
2:58 AM

Post #9441524

Good News Jan, How are you doing out there?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9441816

Okay, thanks. Learning my way around. DDIL is in a lot of pain, but it is surgical pain, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My REAL work will begin when she comes home.

The oldest grandson is leaving this afternoon with his granddad for the NASCAR race in Las Vegas. Nick is a huge Carl Edwards fan. Last year granddad took Nick's cousin to St. Louis for a cardinals game. Wonder what trip the granddaughters will get. Guess we'll find out on Christmas. My DDIL's father loves to travel and is trying to pack in as many adventures as he can. Bill has Parkinson's and seems to be deteriorating pretty quickly.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9441971

Sounds like your Grandson & his Granddad will have a wonderful memory.
Glad things are going well. Can't wait to see you this spring.
Think we need a spring flowers thread.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9441983

Am at the hospital now. DDIL had a rough night and is having LOTS of pain and spasms that shoot down her legs. Combos of painkillers don't seem to be touching it. May do an MRI to see if there is a hematoma. They got her turned a bit ago and this position seems to be pretty good for the moment. She isn't crying anyway. Please pray for comfort for her and relief from pain.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9442003

I will.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9442056

Oh poor thing!
Comfort for her, wisdom for the docs, hope a good resolution happens right now.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013

Post #9442126

Amen Sally. Hugs to you Jan. So glad you are there, Bless you.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9442317

DS just called and Royale was just taken down for an MRI. Will keep you updated. Thanks for your concern and love.

Results show a leak of spinal fluid so it is causing pressure on all her nerves. Not a hematoma. She will be headed back in to surgery in the morning. No wonder the pain meds were ineffective!!.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2013 11:24 PM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9442911

Latest update, surgery will be 2 pm PST to drain an area 5x4cm of spinal fluid and blood. Amazing how much pain this pressure caused!

Going to the zoo after lunch since the kids have a day off from school. Should be in the mid 50's and SUNNY. There is a baby elephant that was born in November.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9443029

Relief should be soon at hand for your poor DIL. I am sure it will go well, and you all will sleep much better tonight, crash probably. THe zoo should get the kids minds off Mom.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013

Post #9443075

Sending up prayers now.

And a reminder to all that DayLight Savings Time begins this Sunday.

SPRING FORWARD!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9443088

Monday morning when its again barely light as the alarm goes off- I fall back, into the pillow !!! UGH!!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9443100

And too bad our dogs and cats don't observe Day light Savings time! (Or, for that matter, our kids!)

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/Modern-Parenthood/2013/0308/Daylight-savings-time-and-my-three-sons-at-home-the-exception-futile-and-outdated

This message was edited Mar 8, 2013 6:08 PM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9443218

Amen to that, coleup. Heehee

Thank you all for the prayers and support. The zoo was great fun. It's that time of year, hehehe! We met the new baby elephant, Lily. She was born the end of November. Very cute. Markus's favorite were the giraffes. Glad he didn't realize what the male had on his mind.

Got a call from DS that surgery went well. The surgeon put a drain in cuz apparently she is very juicy for lack of a better term and the void kept filling up as the surgical team watched after looking for spinal fluid. Turns out it was some blood and just tissue fluid that was filling the cavity causing all the pressure on the spinal fluid which in turn was putting pressure on the nerves. He wants to keep her in until Monday when he gets back from a conference in Phoenix. Best place for her. Can't imagine dealing with this just yet.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9443269

happy for you all Jan.

We went to Antietem Battlefield Nat'l Park today, out near Hagerstown. Too cold to walk around but we did get out to walk down the hill and see the Witness Tree at the famous stone bridge over Antietem Creek. IT's a beautiful peaceful wide stream, for a place of such sad events.
Battle was in 1862; here is a drawing of the battle. Look for the same tree at the end of the bridge- mid left of the sketch as the sketch is from the opposite side of the bridge. In the skecth it is maybe thirty feet tall? Now the diameter must be over six feet. THe sycamore now towers way over the bridge.

Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg         

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9443416

Very interesting, Sally
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9445494

I need help with root rot!

In one planting area, I've lost several shrubs (Japanese pieris, rhododendron, camellia, azalea). And heuchera and begonias planted nearby did not do very well, where they did beautifully just several feet away.

All this time I thought it was the voles/squirrels disturbing the roots, until yesterday when I realized that the entire planting area is likely infected with phytophthora root rot fungus. I've looked up the symptoms and I have them all!

Unfortunately, I didn't come to this realization until I planted another camellia in the same spot yesterday.

The area had compacted clay so it was very heavily amended with compost, pine bark, and leaf mold.

I've researched on line, and the only option seems to be using fungicides, besides cultural practices.

Has anyone else dealt with phytophthora? What's worked for you?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9445545

Phew- I have never done enough careful analysis to know if I had root rot. Sorry! Kudos to you for research. I had an ailing azalea right next to a lovely healthy one so I blamed voles also.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9445902

Wow -- I had never heard of phytophthora root rot fungus. Good detective work. From what I read, poor drainage is often a culprit, but I don't recall that being an issue in your yard (other than that you have heavy clay-- but you amended it). So that makes me wonder.

Phytophthora root rot fungus is supposed to be triggered by warm soil temperatures -- I see it described in North Carolina and California. We have a slightly cooler climate. Have you called the Maryland Extension Service or a local nursery to see if it is common here? It could be that even though the symptoms are the same, you might have something different. What level of watering did the plants get? Is it possible they were overwatered or underwatered? Maybe a bug?

Also -- I remember that you got compost from Takoma. Is it possible there was some kind of herbicide in what you were given?

But I know the frustration -- I have an area in my yard where i have never been able to grow perennials -- though some azaleas are doing ok there. (The main thing I've tried to goown in that spot is Begonia grandis). I've long wondered if something might be wrong with the soil, and no idea how to figure it out. (I've had the soil tested, but that didn't reveal anything. I think there is something odd going on, like maybe Black Walnut nearby, except there isn't. Maybe this summer I'll try to put more plants in there to see if I am imagining it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9445908

i like what happy said.

i have one death spot- and handful of potato chips, so pardon lack of caps- my death spot dries too much i think tts tree and shrub roots and prob a huge rock underneath

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9445909

Sally, I'm on my lunch break - so late I had to get something from the vending machine. I'm eating potato chips too - now my keyboard keys all greasy ewwww.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9445919

ew mark would not be pleased if i did that!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9445958

SSG, I have no experience with that either.
Really over did it at the Orchid Show yesterday but the house smells just wonderful.
Gita, I thought the show was smaller also. And not near as interesting plant material but the water features were really good. I will say that Ric and I were rushed for time as we needed to get back home in time for Lily's Judo competition. We spent a good bit of time at the Orchid Show so we really only did a quick one hour tour around the landscaped displays at the Garden Show. Didn't look at anything else
Lily had 2 matches both were with the same girl, she was bigger than Lily but not as experienced as Lily is. She won both matches. Here she is pinning her opponent.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9445964

Forgot to add the picture.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9446027

I started planting in that area before I kew anything at all about gardening, so the pieris went straight into the compacted clay.

After it died (most likely of phytophthora), I amended it pretty heavily and raised the bed a few inches. This was before I started getting the free Takoma Park mulch, so that's an unlikely culprit. But everything else in that general area kept dying.

Happy, I think you saw the unhappy rhododendron and azaleas in that spot before they finally died. And the camellia I got from the group purchase last year died. I just pulled out the plant, and the roots had all the hallmark signs of phytophthora.

Apparently, after the phytophthora takes over an area, it lives in the soil until fungicide is applied. I'm actually pretty bad about watering, so my plants are more likely to die of thirst than to die of overwatering. This is the highest spot in my yard, so it dries out pretty well, even though it's in the shade.

I just *knew* there was something weird going on when the Dragon Wing begonias next to the rhododendron looked half dead, whereas the other DWs were so lush and full that they were crowding each other out. Apparently, begonias are susceptible to this fungus, as well.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9446110

Holly, that is too cute - her little face shows so much determination LOL. I always forget to tell you, but I absolutely love the name Lily for a little girl. What orchids did you end up getting? Post pics if you get a chance.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9446223

Too cute!!!

DDIL is doing well today. Surgeon removed the drain this afternoon, will be able to take a shower this evening. We have been very impressed with the care she has received and the staff. When she wants her meals she calls room service and orders and it arrives within a half hour and is freshly made. She is moving much better. Probably will come home tomorrow. I had some time today, so went home and took a shower.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9446251

Jan, Such good news. She will be up and running in no time.
Lily is such a sweet child, very gentle and caring. But... She is a real competitor. In practice you kind of take turns each partner lets themselves be thrown at some point giving way to the other person. Each practicing throwing and getting thrown as well as the holds. So many of the other parents were a bit surprised during the practice for the tournament, they told Jen that was the most aggressive they have ever seen Lily. Of course they have never seen her play soccer. LOL She is just a little peanut usually smaller than the other kids in her age group. But she is fast and determined. This picture is very fuzzy but I just love the look on her face. This was taken just as the call to engage and this one receiving her medal. You can really see the satisfaction on her face. Matt says Judo is called the gentle way you don't hit or kick. Just grab, trip, use your body weight and balance. Then hold them down. Watching those kids I will say that it isn't like Karate hitting and kicking but I'm not sure I would call it gentle.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9446445

just found DG has an attempt at least of a database on garden products. Who knew?
Here is the Cobrahead weeder some body mentioned
http://davesgarden.com/products/gp/view/2/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9446721

Having all our April showers at once, today. I hope it is good news for the lettuce seed I scattered yesterday. I decided to empty several partial, 2+ yr old packets, and cross my fingers..

Hope everyone has a lovely day -drive safe, stay dry

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9446849

Sally,

HD has Bonnie cold-crop veggies in. All kinds of 4-packs for $1.78. Nice starter plants!

I bought a few of Romaine Lettuce. Gonna try my hand at growing some in one end of my raised bed.
Going to go easy on the Tomatoes this year. Will do maybe 3.

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9447120

Who mentioned the Cobra head weeder? Is it a good thing?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9447184

THanks GIta but now I'm committed to waiting three weeks to see if any lettuce comes up' (shrug!)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9447188

Ric, Holly, and Jill were talking about it. Jill has it and likes it, Ric got one at the Philadelphia Flower Show.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9447190

Go, Lily!

Great news -- I just got a note from DOC! (docgipe) He's still kickin', or as he says "still looking down to see grass."

Since his gardening efforts are so limited now, he's turned more & more to photography.. and to his delight, his grandson has become interested as well. That's the grandson who is the talented wrestler, and who has been accepted at an excellent private college in PA.

Sounds like he's taking good care of himself and doing as much as he can, when he can. I told him he's missed here and thought of often, especially when we start discussing Christmas cactus or giant pumpkins! He said I should pass along greetings to everybody here. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9447194

Yep, love it, especially for breaking a tough weed out of clay. The head isn't really big enough for digging planting holes, but it's a first rate weeding tool and also useful for getting a "start" into clumps of hosta or DL so you can get in there with your soil knife to pry them apart. The feel and balance of it are terrific; I can even use it pretty well with my "off" hand. If I'd spotted their booth among the vendors, I'd probably have picked up another one.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9447196

Ah, thanks for the update Jill! He' is a font of wisdom on organic methods. His discussions helped mold my gardening philosophy. "Weakly weekly!!"
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9447218

Oh Jill, So nice that you talked to him. He really is much missed. I think of him often.
Jen is (maybe) running in the Washington Marathon this weekend. I know that I have mentioned it before. A few weeks ago she was in top training form running 20 miles and very confident about the run. Then her big dog Louie ran right into her at top speed and hit his very hard head into her knee. Now she isn't too sure about the run. Right now she says she is going to at least try the run but she is in pain and isn't sure how long she can run. I will let you all know how it goes. It is truly a shame as she has been saying that this will probably be her first and last full Marathon. The training schedule just takes up too much of her time. She has been training for this for the last 6 months.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9447288

Rats, Holly...thats a disappointment. My son's into triathlon and I can appreciate how much she has trained and is psyched up to do it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9447428

Yes, I was talking to Mark at the Seed Swap about him. Jen had started training for a half triathlon but got interrupted when she changed jobs and it interfered with her time in the pool. That's when she set her sights on the Marathon.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9447927

I received a beautiful Christmas Cactus from Doc when he came to the swap that I hosted. He said that he was so impressed with the roses and that he was looking forward to coming again. I was hoping that some day he would. Please give him my fondest regards if you are in touch with him again, Jill.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9448372

Yay, DDIL is home. I'm tired. Now the fun begins.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9448385

Great news, you are right now the fun begins. LOL What a treasure you are Jan. So glad I have gotten to meet you.
Ric is doing very well, he is back to work, came home this morning to find he had run the vac and steamed the floors. Then while I was at the Drs I came home to find him fixing the office style chair that he uses all the time. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9448404

Holly, sorry about Jen's marathon... hope she did the wise thing & didn't run it.

Jan, glad to hear DDIL is home! Hope she heals quickly from the surgery. I also hope you have a nice vacation planned this summer, a little "down time" after everything! How is Baby Thomas doing?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9448414

The marathon is on Sat and yes we are going and she will run. At least as much as she can. She was at the Dr's today, just her GP and they said she can run, he felt the knee is stable enough to run on as long as she can deal with whatever pain there is. I have been telling her that she really needs to find a Sports Dr and she did ask for a referral.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9448491

Prayers for a lot of healing for Jen's knee between now & Sat! Hopefully it's "just" a bruise or a wrench, not anything pulled or torn... bruised from a hard doggie head seems more likely anyway.

Drop in on your way back if you want... we'll give you a snack & a drink, although that tricky little leprechaun will probably try to slip his finger into it and turn it green. He hasn't shown up yet this year, but it's only a matter of time.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9448509

We just might do that. We are taking the Metro from the Shady Grove Station. I guess it depends on how late we are coming home. Jen's original plan was to take the kids on a tour of D.C. after the run. Not sure how that will work out.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9448567

Oh, my(she said sheepishly). I am the blessed one by all of you. Holly, I feel the same way.

I have an ulterior motive. Hehehe. I told her she will have to take are of me when I get old and need help. Bless her heart, she tried to do too much by moving some flower vases around. She just doesn't get it. The only thing required of her is to walk. She wants it to be fixed right now. Instant fix!! Methinks I need to set my alarm for every three hours, so she keeps her pain meds on track. Happy happy happy.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9448568

She may be related to Ric. LOL You just can't keep him down.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9448579

I hear you. Lol!

I need to write a letter to the hospital out here. Best care I have seen EVER.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9450518

Big exciting things happening at our house. Well at least I am excited.
I picked up a couple of Sarracenia a few weeks ago from the York Flower Show they were part of a water garden feature. I have them down in the GH till the weather warms up and I can decide where to plant them. So I was excited with this new plant and now I see that they are both going to flower. No actual flower yet but they each have a bud one is up a few inches and the other is just barely coming on.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9450519

Holly--
That looks like something out-of-space!

Does it have a common name? Of course, I can look it up too.
G.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9450536

Gita, It's a type of Carnivorous Plant. You are right they are wild looking. Here is the whole plant.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9450541

AAHHHH----NOW I get it! A kind of a Pitcher Plant.

Love the bloody colors---goes with the name..."Carniverous"...
G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9450622

that is exciting!

Ric_of_MAF

Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9451437

Getting long here, let's go to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1302642/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America