Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Neck of the WoodsChat Count down to Spring 2013

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293570/#new

Happy Ground Hog Day. If you haven't heard. "Phil" of the MAF says early Spring.

That's worth chatting and singing about for sure. In case you missed it on the last thread, here is the link that Happy posted. Check it out.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xHkq1edcbk4?rel=0

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 9:23 AM

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

My wish for us all on this Ground Hog Day 2013 is that just like in the movie of the same name we all get as many do overs as we need to get it right!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 9:38 AM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lots happening in our area and lots of activity and upcoming events and special group buys and orders. Here is a summary of what's coming up pre Seed Swap Sat. Feb 16

Seed Swap Sign up/ info
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292205/

Seed Swap Discussion
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294098/
Seed Swap Have/Want List
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/

Group Orders (pick only, tba)

Bulk Order Lily Bulbs (deadline Feb 8)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295595/

Bulk Order Gladiolus (deadline Feb 8)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295852/

Bulk ProMix soil Wholesale (deadline Feb 11)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296173/

Group Order Fancy Lilies (deadline probably Feb 8)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296051/

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 12:22 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleup -- Your message broke off mid-thought.

Sally -- I don't know anything about the video I linked to (on our prior thread) -- or the video you referred to. The only reason I saw the link I posted to is that someone on a local garden list-serve send out the link. I did think it was lovely.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

do over # 2 got it...Thanks for the head's up Happy!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 12:25 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not much going on here. Ric and I still dealing with the crud and other minor issues. Can't wait for some early spring weather to blow these winter doldrums away.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, sinus congestion here, but on the way out. Thankful it wasn't the flu. I just want to throw open windows to air things out.

I love do overs!!!

Our grandson skunked us this morning in a game of Memory. My DH would have done better, but I just seemed to set up the grandy so well.(not intentionally either). It kinda concerned me cuz I really didn't remember the placements. Anyone try Lumosity? Maybe I need to watch Jeopardy again.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Sinus infection is getting me down. Wonder if the Sambocol that I ordered per Jen (Flowajen) from Amazon will help,or will it be too late. We all need to be in our gardens on a warm spring day.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My son showed me Lumosity but I didn't want to get into a paid for site. I use Spider Solitaire for training in attention and memory, ahem...

happy- couple years ago, Pagancat showed a link to a video made by a guy...he let people all over the world submit pieces of video of themselves singing the song he had chosen, then put them together into a chorus. Hard to describe but fascinating.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally -- that video sounds interesting.

What is Lumosity?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, is this the video you mean?
http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_whitacre_a_virtual_choir_2_000_voices_strong.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--I saw that video--it was really great--and really fun to watch.
I just went to my "Amazing Things" folder (where i stash all kinds of anazing forwards)
but could not find it.

Instead--for those of you who have never seen or heard the "Vegetable Orchestra"--
Should be close to all our hearts what you can do with common vegetables.

Enjoy!!! Hope the link works....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2007/nov/28/vegetable.orchestra

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 6:48 PM

Yes! I cannot believe you found that. Although the TED stuck in my head , I wasn't crazy there.
Everybody, enjoy.
;
;
;
Phew! TED played a couple more talks while I listened and did other stuff. Now I feel pretty stupid and lazy, compared to the really incredible imaginative stuff goin on out there. THis one is about Duolingo, a language learning program that my kids have started using
Luis von Ahn: Massive-scale online collaboration

Now that I know whats going on, I am kinda more excited to go do the intermediate French and make a contribution- maybe.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 8:24 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I hadn't checked out Lumosity and didn't realize it costs. Brain-training.

Will have to check out the language thing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is what I really wanted you to see. The above link I posted was not "complete"...
meaning--you cannot really see them perform.

I simply Googled "Vegetable orchestra"----they are quite famous.

OK! Off to work i go to be part of all the in-store ravens madness.......Gita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfYt7vRHuY

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Does anyone grow strawberries?

Is there a disease-resistant variety you'd recommend? Where do you get your starts?

I'm thinking about growing them in my City Pickers container.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Suze---

I can't say I "grow" strawberries--but I planted some early last summer. Gor a few to eat--not much.
I know they need to 'propagate" (by runners) for a year so there are more new new plants.
I do not know a lot about their culture--but I think I have read that the new plants are the ones that
produce berries.
I also "know" that they do not like to lay on soil, as the fruit would rot. You need to put a layer of
straw under the plants (dah! STRAW berries!!)....Many people never make the association.
You will also need to invest in some bird netting--unless you want to feed all the birds and other critters.
I believe many ground insects and pests also munch on berries.

Mine are green all winter long (so far). Looking forward to this summer to see if I get more yummies...

**IF your HD has the "Bonnie Vegetables" stand in outside garden--(They should! Look for tables under a green canopy)
they carry the best line of all kinds of vegetable plants, herbs, and even Onion Sets.
Everything is very healthy and they have an amazing assortment.
They are all potted in peat pots

College Park, MD(Zone 7a)

I planted the strawberries that a friend of mine gave me at the beginning of March if not earlier .They produced the same year on and off all summer. I did not have any straws so I used shredded leaves and this worked out fine. I was not aware of strawberries having certain diseases. The only disease that you are going to have are the slugs who love them, the birds and the squirrels. The slugs do not kike wood ashes, and you can keep the other critters out with netting. If you are interested I have a friend of mine who has strawberry plants for sale , she sells them for 50 cents each, they are a fruiting size just let me know if you are interested. Bonnie plants are nice but overpriced for what they are .

I checked the U MD recommendations and then bought at local farmers store. But they are packed in 25 plants per pack I think it is- way too many (unless your container is a bathtub)
. So orchidfancy's friend sounds like the best choice for your containers, Terry

Orchidfancy, powdery mildew is a huge issue in my garden, and I know some strawberry cultivars are really susceptible. I've heard fungal disease is generally what kills them, but UMD says there are cultivars that are more resistant.

I would love to get some strawberry starts from your friend. I'm really close to College Park, and you can't beat 50 cents! I only need 8, so I'm happy about not needing to buy a whole 25 pack.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have heard that a spray of milk and water can eliminate, or help to, Powdery Mildew.

Not sure on this--but I have heard about it. G.

Gita, I've heard the same thing. It's not something I've tried yet, because to be honest, I'm kind of grossed out by the thought of the milk sticking to the leaves and getting spoiled in the summer heat. :P

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Some cultivars that are pretty resistant to powdery mildew are Cruz, Earliglow, Lateglow, and Ranier. We sell Earliglow, Lateglow, and Ranier where I work, but I'm not sure where you'd find Cruz in this area. Then again, I have never looked. ;)

I don't recall powdery mildew being a problem, at all.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ready to defend my prediction!

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

The name's Rambo. Phil Rambo.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Love it, speedie!

One of my projects this summer is going to be to get better containers for our patio.

So my question to you bargain-hunters: What is the best (read "cheap") local-ish source for large containers? I don't want to get anything that can't be left outside all winter, so that probably means some kind of plastic that is manufactured to not look like plastic - I know terra cotta will break. I've bought them at Costco before - maybe that is the best. I want to get a few large shrubs or dwarf trees.... I'd love to get some dwarf cherry blossoms or other spring-flowering plants if such a thing exists.

Of course, if i get anything too big I won't be able to move it....

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been down and out with the flue - hit me fast and hard Tue afternoon at work, and I felt so miserable that I took off Wed and Thu. Today was my regular Fri off, so I'm hoping with the days off and the weekend, I'll feel back to normal by Mon. I get an hour or so of energy, and then lay back down for a few hours to recoup. Anyway, I've been tackling the basement clutter during those bursts of energy, I found my bags of amaryllis bulbs - about 12 of them. They look like they have shrunk a lot, but still feel pretty firm. I re-read Jill's article on Amaryllis 101 to refresh my memory on how to pot them up. If they actually start growing I'll move them outside for the summer. Worth a try anyway. I like winter, but I am starting to go stir crazy looking at all the gardening catalogs and on-line vendor sites LOL.

I am doing subway tile backsplash in the kitchen today. Waa hop!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy, I love the Wal-Mart for cheap stuff like that. I just bought 12 small (6") grey plastic pots for $1.27 each for potting up those amaryllis bulbs. The light grey with a little decorative flair will look nice in the conservatory (I've gotten tired of waiting for Mike to work on it, so I'm starting to use it with just the plywood floor and no electricity LOL). They had all sizes and a lot of colors. I've used the larger containers for herbs and they have held up well being left outside and neglected for a few seasons.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yay Harriet-Sally Homeowner - DIY woooohhh wooohhhh, wuff wuff.. did you mean waa hoo, or is waa hop a new rallying call to add to my repertoire?

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 3:39 PM

Pic . Got this far and needed to go back to tile store for them to make some corner cuts. Told Mark that for a professional finish i should quit for the weekend now and show up again tuesday.

Crap dont know why the pic is turned

Thumbnail by sallyg

Meant waa hoO. Lol

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks good - just like Speedie's marble tile, subway tile is another classic. Love that look...

Happy, I really like the selection at HomeGoods, but their prices aren't as cheap as Walmart or Costco.

I have a question about camellias from last spring's group order.

Are all of your camellias doing ok? I just checked on mine and the leaves have turned black! It didn't grow much last year, but now it looks dead.

College Park, MD(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry to hear about your Camelia it might have passed on this happen. Mine are doing well, the squirrels are starting to pick the buds and eat them I guess it is their version of tea, eating the buds. My pink camelia is also ready to bloom. Are you going to the seed swap? I will be going I live in College park and maybe we can ride together.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Waahoo!!! Looking good, Sally

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally that looks Great!!!! Really think that tile goes very well with both the cabinets and the counter tops.

First side finished. Up to you to find my two mistakes lol.
Thank you. I am amazed that i seem to have got it all together nicely. All my individual selections playing together. There might be hope for the rest of the house.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.