Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Woodworking: My Kayak

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 5, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9406127

I have started to build a kayak from plans I found in a book 'More Fuselage Frame Boats' by Jeff Horton.
It will be a very light boat (30-35 lbs) and is named Mess About.
The construction is SOF skin over frame. At a little over 13' long it has 6 frames with stringers lashing them together.
It will be covered, called Skinning, with nylon fabric.
The pic is the frame in progress.
More to come.

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9431414

Getting things in shape, sanding outside today (nice weather today). With all the woodworking I've haven't used a rasp that much, it's a great tool.
Live and learn.
I moved the second frame, from stern, to have more room for 'fishing stuff',
I attached the stringers to the bow and stern with wood dowels instead of lashing them.
Bow and stern are 3/4" pine with 5 dowels going from top stringer through the bottom.
Thinking about the floor boards now, I have some very light 1/4" (some type of wood) and will fit it in soon. Mom wants the boat out of the house SOON. OK OK

Put some extra supports for the floor. the total frame now weights 18 lbs.

Thumbnail by rentman

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9431586

That's amazing - keep posting pics of your progress!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9431629

That looks great so far!! Keep up the good work!!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 26, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9432306

Looking forward to seeing the continuing progress.

We built several Folbots in the late 70's and ran the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grand - along with several hundred miles of other rivers.
Still have a folding model (Super) and the frame of the ridgid Super we used on the Rio Grand - it was pretty beatup, so have replaced most of the longerons with ash instead of the original poplar - heaver but able to survive the rocks and trees better - LOL.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9432360

The Kentucky River is about a mile from the house, with a boat ramp. 'It is one of the few rivers that flows north'. There are 4 dams from here to the Ohio.
The currant is not fast, no white water. I plan, after boating around some of the lakes, to paddle down and have someone pick me up.

My green house cabbage ? ?

Thumbnail by rentman

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America