Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Winter garden shots

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 50, Views: 625
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9406159

Some color here for the climatically challenged... a few winter events in the garden.

First up is Aloe lutescens in the sun this afternoon (thanks LT for the ID).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9406163

Aloe marlothii dominates the garden right now. Second shot shows Aloe ferox still not flowering (busy doing other things apparently).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9406167

The marlothii inflorescence does all sorts of crazy things in bud. Shots from a month and 2 weeks ago.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9406169

Aloe conifera is about as green now as it ever is (winter rain does the trick).

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9406173

Aloe congolensis buds at different stages, A. cameronii almost there.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9406177

Aloe dorotheae in the last light of the day, A. ?ciliaris hybrid (each inflorescence produces a branch).

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9406183

Dudleya candida has put up about 12 inflorescences so far. Hummingbirds!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9406188

Jade and Gollum.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9406194

Native shrub in flower (Rhus sp., not succulent). No supplemental irrigation required.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9406202

These two Euphorbias are parked together so they can do their thing: E. bupleurifolia (a she), E. pubiglans (a he/she). If you look closely at the cyathia on #2, you can see they are lightly variegated. Also check the little furry/fringey parts at the center of the cyathia in #1.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9406205

Cotyledon in the sun.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9406208

Bees on an Aeonium flower (cloudy day).

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9406216

The Aeoniums are pretty branchy this year, at least the ones that do branch. I'm guessing A. nobile (last pic) is not that pleased with total exposure so close to the ocean. The wind through here rusts exposed metal almost before your eyes.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9406223

Echeveria agavoides. I have been pinching the buds on the younger plants, but the older ones have gotten pretty far bug-free.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9406228

Overhead shots of a few cacti, the last two growing in total exposure. Gymno. saglionis, Mamm. mystax, F. chrysacanthus, F. glaucescens, Pachycereus pringlei (just now waking up for the winter).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9406242

Dyckias, groundcover, Pachypodium. That's it for now, over and out.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9406325

Thanks, Baja! So nice to see some beautiful plants, most of them in that gorgeous mellow sun where you live! It has been so cold here that mine are still sleeping. I love to see yours.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9406359

Baja_Costero thank you for always providing lots of wonderful photos. They are always good shots and you mention hundreds of plants I know nothing about. Good stuff. Xuling
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2013
2:21 AM

Post #9406595

Wonderful garden shots and beautiful plants Baja..

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9407203

Thanks, guys.

LT, any input about succulents that might not like to live so close to the ocean? Your experience? I have been wondering if some of my failures might have something to do with that. The humidity, more than anything really.

Todos Santos islands barely visible on the horizon toward the right. Most of the plants in the pictures share the same SW exposure (day-long sun).

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9407354

Where do you go to get your vast array of plants? Are there nurseries in the area? The population isn't that large is it? xuling

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9407428

It has been a gradual process. There are a surprising number of places to find plants here. My favorite stop is Rancho Flor Alicia, near El Tigre. The climate makes it easy for people to experiment with plants that would be difficult or impossible elsewhere. Every nursery stocks Agave americana and Aloe vera, but most of them will also have interesting Aeoniums or aloes at least some of the time. Plants are more a mom and pop thing here than a corporate endeavor, but Home Depot and places like that also have good stuff available from time to time.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9407499

How interesting, thank you Baja. Xuling
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9407546

The Aloes that sort of struggles is Aloe suprafoliata, Aloe microstigma and Aloe variegata. My A. castanea flowered once and then skipped last year and Aloe excelsa is also not overly happy. Soil may also play a role. Aeoniums doing ok, but get a little hammered by the winds, recover well. Senecio babertoniae really does not like the location and some of the Lampranthus also get hammered, but others overgrow everything. Many of the smaller forest aloes from central Africa likes a little protection in any case. I try and locate my plants in such a way that sensitive stuff/soft plants get a little protection against the SW winds - they can be deadly salty at gale strength and no normal plants (roses, fruit trees, ferns) holds up, amazingly enough Tomatoes grow well here!! go figure! Salvia's and Coprosma's do well and are among the plants I use for protectors to my other plants.
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

February 3, 2013
9:45 PM

Post #9407595

Baja, Thanks again for the lovely photos. The colors, sun and surroundings looks so warm and wonderful. We will be a long while from that being that there is two feet of snow on the ground with more coming. Your pictures are a mini vacation for me. cll
helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 4, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9407822

Beautiful plants and photos.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9408414

So far so good here with A. suprafoliata. It's still distichous. A visitor to the house called it El Bigote ("The Moustache"). Ha. I like that name.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9408426

Here's a shot of the latest patio project: a hinged frame with shadecloth (shown in the up position). It's small, and low (for maximum coverage at plant level), but I can lift it up to get in there, or just leave the top up on a cloudy day. Great fun.

The wall faces SE, so the plants receive some direct morning sun, but it's filtered from roughly mid day onward.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9408454

A few aloe shots from today. A. brevifolia, marlothii x2, striata, wickensii (very suspenseful).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
11:17 PM

Post #9408858

I love your pictures. I'd send you some succulent cuttings but I know the mail to baja is too slow to mail plants.
You have a harsh environment there for gardening but I bet there are some southwest natives from say New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas that would grow alright there.
I don't think the humidity is your problem, but it could be the salinity of your water, or maybe your soil ph.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9412633

That's funny. I have paid quite a bit of attention to the water, tried to figure out how much it varies, and what's in it. It's not very saline. Our water comes from wells in a valley north of here. It's variable in terms of taste and turbidity and smell. Tonight there was a delicious sulfur aroma. But it's got a uniformly high pH, somewhere around 9. That's the thing that matters most to the container plants, I think. That's why I knock that number down to 6 before I give my container plants a drink. It's not a huge amount of effort once you figure it out, and the difference in how plants grow is phenomenal. Not all of them of course, and some of them actually prefer the high pH water, go figure. But mainly the lower pH makes fertilizer work properly, so you can use a low level on an intermittent basis and the plants will slurp it all up. The Echeverias and Aeoniums respond quite nicely. Young plants especially.

Baja California is a peninsula of many climates. It's mostly subtropical but the southern tip is in the tropics. There's a coral reef down there. The rainfall is concentrated in the NW and far S parts of the peninsula. In between is a fabulous and vicious desert of great proportion. Not to leave out the mountains, which get good snow. (There's an astronomical observatory in the middle of the state at San Pedro Martir (3000m/10,000ft), which has a particular advantage because it's located in the middle of much darkness, that part of the state being very sparsely inhabited.

We are located in the mild coastal NW region, which is about as kind to succulents as one could imagine. No heat, no cold. Winter rainfall, summer drought. Some plants don't like being so close to the ocean. Some plants don't really thrive because it never really gets hot here. Other than those special cases, the rest do not complain.

Today's shots: Euphorbias and Echeverias. Last flower belongs to Echeveria agavoides, compare with the yellow ones above.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9412754

I've been to Baja years ago. I took my daughters on a turtle rescue vacation. We went snorkeling too!
It's a beautiful and interesting place. I didn't know there were mountains though.
It's good you've learned about water ph. I should probably learn something about it myself as I am on a well also.
I wonder if you could grow echiums where you are. They grow on the coast here. We have a lot of "pride of madera" in my area and I recently added echium wildpretti, also known as "tower of jewels". I'm growing them from seed and they are doing quite well.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2013
11:34 PM

Post #9412758

That Echium is a fabulous and beautiful plant, the flowers in particular. I have lusted after it but the opportunity has not presented itself.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9413300

Baja, are the Echeveria agavoides flowers from the same plant? What a difference in color! Both are so lovely.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9413451

Different plants. The yellow flower is on a long-leafed plant, the red flower is on a short-leafed plant often called "Lipstick" or "Red Edge". This year I medicated those plants with a systemic when they first started making buds, in the hope that aphids wouldn't take over and spoil the show. It seems to have worked in most (not all) cases. They never have gotten all the way through flowering before.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9417952

The flowers look very good this year. Looks like it worked. I hate aphids on echeveria flowers. They justs ruin them.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 13, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9418139

There are too many plants around here, and most of them are growing without chemical protection, so I really have to look out for the bugs and nip any problem in the (ahem) bud. Speaking of which, I snipped all the red agavoides flowers yesterday after I discovered mealies had taken an interest. There's a certain inevitability about it so I just move on.

Here are the yellow agavoides flowers a little further down the road, showing how they change in posture as they mature. Second pic shows similar-looking inflorescence on the way on a presumed colorata. Pic 3 an unnamed Euphorbia hybrid that I just repotted after about 3 years. Last two pics show open flowers on Aloe cameronii and wickensii, each with its own particular glow. Compare fifth picture to the first picture in this thread to see the differences between two very similar-looking plants.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9423160

Wow, I love the A. cameronii and A. wickensii (A. cryptopoda) ... and the Euphorbia is to die for! You've grown it so great Baja!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 18, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9423469

Truth be told, that Euphorbia has endured much abuse, mainly being chronically underwatered. Some plants seem to take it in stride. I think the thing that saved it was being under shade cloth. When I started acidifying the water and fertilizing more, just taking better care of it really, it sort of came back, so I decided it deserved a nice pot.

Today's flower pictures: Aloes striata, aristata, and ?maculata; Cleistocactus and Sedum. First plant is recovering nicely from a pretty nasty bug infestation... long summer drought seemed to have stressed it out. There are a fair number of striatas planted around here, mostly maculate hybrids though I think. Second plant is growing in a mesh "air pruning" pot. I'm curious to see how that works out root-wise. Last plant is the only one growing in shade (mostly)... out of sight, out of mind, but I noticed a few flowers today on the sunny side of the plant.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9423595

Such delicate flowers on the sedum. What colors do you see in them in "real" time? thanks,
Xuling
helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 18, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9423835

Baja,
The Euphorbia hybrid, #3 in the second to last set of photos is, I believe, Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae.
I got one of these years ago from Highland Succulents. It looks almost identical to yours.

http://www.highlandsucculents.com/species/bupxsusannae.htm

Helen

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 19, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9424323

Yes, thank you. Any idea what to call this second one? Similar growth but longer tubercles. Maybe I should introduce my male susannae to my female bupleu, see if they get along. It would have to be in the fall since that's when he does his thing.

Xuling, those sedum flowers are a nice peach color with green around the outside. They also can be pinkish or reddish inside but I haven't paid enough attention to see how they change over time. They don't exactly call out for attention, if you know what I mean.

More pics... P. pringlei now fully awake, compare with picture from 2 weeks ago. Also Aloe "Rooikappie" and Kalanchoe luciae.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 28, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9434897

Heat wave under way (26C/80F). Euphorbia anoplia (male) and milii hybrid (surprise flower color... plant was just leafing out when I got it). Third shot shows a parasitic plant "volunteer" (dodder I think) clinging on to E. bupleu female. Very fast growth on this thing. Think I'll have to remove it unfortunately. Last two shots show the first Pachypodium flower of the year (yay!) and E. colorata.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 3, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9437632

Echeveria puldonis, Haworthia cooperi, Sansevieria suffruticosa, Euphorbia stellispina (male), Deueterocohnia brevifolia.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 3, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9437641

Mamms still going strong. M. spinosissima revisited, M. elongata flowers barely open on a hazy day. Semps sprouting. Dudleya attenuata branching and budding. D. brittonii inflorescences on the way. All plants growing in full sun, only the semps get filtered light in the afternoon.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 11, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9446293

A few Aeonium propagations blushing at the increase in light.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 11, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9446294

These two were in this position for several minutes. Lizard love?

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 11, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9446296

It is spring after all...
Love the pictures, your plants look so healthy.
C

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 11, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9446298

Scenes from the local park after the rain, mostly native plants. Dudleya brittonii, Mammillaria dioica, Agave filifera.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 11, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9446300

They really do look their best after the rain this time of year.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 15, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9450500

Echeveria flower detail (nice tricolor effect on second plant), Mamm. mystax, Aloe vera, Aloe nobilis (mite infestation -> trash).

In the background of the second picture you can see hail damage to the lower leaves from December. All the unaffected leaves are new since then. So much for Echeverias being winter dormant!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America