Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Heuchera eaten 2012;usual suspects don't seem to be culprits

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VioletV
Baltimore, MD

February 2, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9406206

The past two summers, my collection of heucheras was largely chewed down to the veins. These included Paris, Georgia Peach, a small one w/white and green leaves, heucherellas and various others, excepting Caramel which was mostly ignored. These plants are located in varying degrees of partial shade in a tiered flower bed. Other plants in the bed include campanula, Japanese ferns, ajuga and astilbes left untouched. The plant bed is about 6' by 8' and is located between the house and a small stand of oak trees with the ground covered by English ivy and organic debris.

Both years I began treatment with beer in 5 small dishes spread around, suspecting slugs but found no bodies in the dishes after several days. Next, I tried to spray w/insecticidal soap. This was impractical as it is almost impossible to cover the underside of the leaves because they are so close to the ground.

I enjoy the variety of colors, shadings and blossoms of these plants and don't want to give up on them. Can you help?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9406244

Hi Violet -- I notice that you've posted the same new thread in two forums. It is better to just post it in one place, and direct people in the other forum to that new thread, so that there aren't two threads going on simultaneously on the same subject... I already responded to your other thread so I won't add more here...
VioletV
Baltimore, MD

February 3, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9407251

Re: "Heuchera eaten 2012; usual suspects don't seem to be culprits" - please see this post in Mid-Atlantic forum, 2/2/13.

Thank you, Happy, for your direction about posting in more than one forum. Is the above close to being the correct format?
VioletV
Baltimore, MD

February 3, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9407274

Hi Violet -- I notice that you've posted the same new thread in two forums. It is better to just post it in one place, and direct people in the other forum to that new thread, so that there aren't two threads going on simultaneously on the same subject... I already responded to your other thread so I won't add more here...
VioletV
Baltimore, MD

February 3, 2013
05:34 PM

Post #9407251

Edit

Re: "Heuchera eaten 2012; usual suspects don't seem to be culprits"
I have also referenced the above topic in the forum, heuchera
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9407495

Violet, I often read the Perennials forum and don't read the Mid-Atlantic forum. I live in Mo. and probably wouldn't wonder over to the Mid Atlantic forum. JYI I would have been happier if you had stuck with this forum. Guess you can't please everyone. :(
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9408279

I didn't mean to be critical -- it is just that it can be frustrating for everyone when the same post is placed in several forums, and we don't know where to look for responses. All I was suggesting was that Violet post something like the following in whatever forums are not the primary forum where she is seeking information:

"I have just posted, in the Mid-Atlantic forum, a request for help about my Heuchera that is being eaten by something -- see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296644/. If you have any advice, I'd love your input."

For a post like that, I don't know if it is better to post it in Perennials or Mid-Atlantic as the primary forum -- just a judgment call. It may be a regional bug that is eating your plant -- or not. And the MAG forum is quite active

I thought that was actually a DG recommendation that we not post the same question in multiple forums -- but if I am wrong I apologize and will retract forthwith!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America