Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Heucheras eaten 2012; usual suspects don't seem culprits

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VioletV
Baltimore, MD

February 2, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9406214

The past two summers, my collection of heucheras was largely chewed down to the veins. These included Paris, Georgia Peach, a small one w/white and green leaves, heucherellas and various others, excepting Caramel which was mostly ignored. These plants are located in varying degrees of partial shade in a tiered flower bed. Other plants in the bed include campanula, Japanese ferns, ajuga and astilbes left untouched. The plant bed is about 6' by 8' and is located between the house and a small stand of oak trees with the ground covered by English ivy and organic debris.

Both years I began treatment with beer in 5 small dishes spread around, suspecting slugs but found no bodies in the dishes after several days. Next, I tried to spray w/insecticidal soap. This was impractical as it is almost impossible to cover the underside of the leaves because they are so close to the ground.

I enjoy the variety of colors, shadings and blossoms of these plants and don't want to give up on them. Can you help?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9406230

Hi Violet! Do you have deer in your neighborhood? My sister got a bunch of heuchera because she was told they were deer resistant, but they were all deer food within a couple of weeks. But then deer damage wouldn't look like that where the leaves were chewed down to the veins.

I wonder if there are caterpillars or beetles that do this kind of damage?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9406232

Hmm. I have a fair number of heuchera, but I haven't noticed them be eaten -- and we have tons of slugs.

Deer don't touch our heuchera.

We had all of our Sedum Autumn Joy eaten last summer, after having it for years without incident, and I decided the problem was birds. Could birds be eating your heuchera?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9406496

I had a Heuchera eaten to the vein like that, once. I don't know what did it. But those skinny stems were there sticking up and a couple whole leaves...try this link for picture
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2008/07/07/sallyg/699935.jpg

Sorry - this wasn't too helpful.

You know- in the last couple summers I have learned how devastating Asiatic Garden Beetles can be, to certain plants they like. And they eat at night when you don't see them.
http://bugs.osu.edu/bugdoc/Shetlar/factsheet/turf/Asiaticgardenbeetle.htm

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 11:03 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9408048

Rabbits?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9408257

I have slug issues I have pulled them off of some of my Heucheras.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9408286

As an experiment, maybe you could try putting one of the Heucheras in a little "cage" that would keep birds, rabbits and deer at bay, to see if it improves in comparison to those that you leave unprotected. I'm just envisioning a few stakes and some bird screening material, or the like.
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

February 6, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9410388

I had Blister Beetles do that to all my anemones for the first time this year...literally within a day...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9410583

That's terrible! Especially for Heuchera -- they can be pricey.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America