Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
raven_nevermore
Milwaukee, WI

February 2, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9406302

I was just thinking the other day how much I love this plant and how well it's doing. Then I started thinking that it's getting a bit too top heavy for this pot and something should probably be done about it soon. Then I came home from work last night to find the tallest part of it flopped over! Of course my plant problems have to happen in the dead of winter when it's too cold to take them outside and repot!? Ahh.

So I'm wondering...what should I do for this plant now? Should I try to get a small trellis for him to vine up or tie the stems up to a stick? Or should I cut below where it's flopped and try to sprout new roots in water (that might be the wrong place to cut/wrong time of year or water not a good idea to root it it in?) The stems seem to have split apart at the bottom- does that mean I can and should divide it and repot one side in the spring?

This plant is high up on my list of favorites, so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 10:44 AM

Thumbnail by raven_nevermore   Thumbnail by raven_nevermore   Thumbnail by raven_nevermore   Thumbnail by raven_nevermore
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9409060

I use a trellis and they look really nice, this is mine and it already needs a larger trellis, so you may want to get a bigger one than I did. LOL

P.S. yes you can cut them now, they root really easy in water
Christine

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 9:56 AM

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9409098

I can see aerial root nubs on the flopped-over piece. It sounds like you already know this plant is a vine, so becoming too tall/long to stand up is normal. You can let it dangle, maybe in a hanging basket, or give it a support.

Beautiful plant with some nice large leaves already. Does that pot have a drain hole?
raven_nevermore
Milwaukee, WI

February 5, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9409146

Nice picture Christine, that's a cute trellis! I have'nt had any luck on finding a small trellis that will fit in a pot. Sadly my pot does not have any drainage holes, so I'm kind of surprised it's doing so well. When I repot half of the plant in the Spring, I might try to drill a hole in the bottom.

So what do the nodes mean? I tried to make sure the picture showed them clearly because I didn't know what they were. Are they just the things that grow onto the trellis if I'd put one up?

Thanks!
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9410097

Aerial root nubs circled. If you were to want to remove that piece, I would cut it at the blue line. Then you can put in water (just enough to submerge the nubs) until the nubs swell and turn white, usually takes 1-2 weeks, which is what I prefer for this kind of plant, or put it directly in soil.

If you were to leave that piece on the plant and give it a support to climb, the nubs may turn into elongated aerial roots that eventually reach the soil. Aerial roots don't really wrap around the support like a Clematis tendril, so may need to be attached or woven through it to stay in place, as in JM's pic above. In nature, Syngonium would spiral up/around a tree trunk and use the aerial roots to hold itself in place, some would go to the soil.

Good idea about adding a drain hole or moving it to a pot that has one already. It's way too easy to accidentally kill a plant in a pot w/o a hole.

Thumbnail by purpleinopp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

raven_nevermore
Milwaukee, WI

February 6, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9410205

I don't see a blue line in the picture? But I assume I should cut on the lower part that you circled? Thanks again :D
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9411217

It got cut off, resized, sorry. It wouldn't let me see it in regular size in preview and my eyesight isn't THAT good. Yes, the blue line was just off of the right edge of the pic. HTH!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America