Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: WHAT are you working on NOW that's it's February?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 302, Views: 1,614
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9406486

New thread! (We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295707/ )

These are some aprons I finished recently. The first is a apron for my DSIL for Christmas. Do you lovely ladies recognize the blocks from charms you have given me? the 2nd is a close up of the apron bib. The 3rd picture is a Valentine Day gift to my oldest Stepdaughter.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 4:52 AM

Thumbnail by psychw2   Thumbnail by psychw2   Thumbnail by psychw2
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9406517

Yeah, Pat has pictures! Nice job on the aprons!

Pat have you tried E6000 glue.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9406535

No, will it bond copper to ceramic? I was using a Gorilla glue that is activated with water. I think the ceramic and copper were "too slick" to get a good bite/adhere since the area I was attempting to bond was only 3/4 inch diameter. I'll buy some of the E6000. I used to have some but I doubt I can even find it, let alone if it's any good still anymore! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 3, 2013
2:36 AM

Post #9406598

Love the photos..

Karen, how touching, bet it brought more than one tear to your eyes..

Pat, just think how much more this area will mean to you when the project is finally done. Love the apron, see I'm not the only one working on Christmas gifts.

Making a list for backing, binding, batting for all the pieces I have ready to quilt..will never mind the pretty fabric and buy the essentials..means a trip to buffalo in the next few weeks, now it will mean watching weather for travel days.

Early morning, not sure what I shall get up to, am sure there is something though. Lol

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 6:00 AM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9406692

No, that was a gift I made this year and it was too big across the chest and the neck strap too long so I took it back and reset the neck strap shorter and further in. ALTHOUGH I do have a Christmas printed apron that is sitting on my ironing board waiting for a few minutes.

"It will mean more to you" is a bit what I'm afraid of! It's never good to have a rental that is too dear to your heart. Our very first renter was with us over a year and he was WONDERFUL, he became honorary part of our extended family. His wife and child finally got here from China and our studio is too far from college for her to commute.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9406808

Working on this kit I found in my closet. Must have been thre for at least 3-4 years!!!! Imagine ME forgetting about it!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9406823

Pat does pictures, way to go

I made 4 of these just gorgeous. 3 last year and the fourth just would't come together. Gave me headaches, just call me queen of rippers.
I was shamed into making it by my Lisa - whiner - your making stuff for others never for me etc.etc wrong motivation for such a tedious project. Now its done. Well almost, still have to put a haning thing a ma jig in the back. forgot.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9406945

Barb, love that kit you found in the closet!

Helene, love that tree too! Lots of work with all those HST???

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9407304

One of my old threads just got "bumped", for those that have never seen pictures of one of my former homes. NO, I didn't know how to post pictures from the camera back then either! But I had some color print out and knew how to SCAN them in and attach. I don't even know where some those pictures are filed here in this house. I know they are not on this computer. that was a couple of computers ago.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/779605/

Barb, what are the corners of that project going to look like?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9408195

Bit the bullet and drove to the other side of the city this morning. No small accomplishment. There is a terrific little quilt shop there where I found "the" fabric for the baby receiving blanket. It's a Makower pin dot cotton; vanilla with tiny, slightly darker dots. I wanted the front and back to be the same since this will be a whole cloth quilt and be seen from both sides. The fabric cost an arm and a leg. I told them they could have the leg but I needed the arm to stitch and pulled out the plastic card. Now I will mostly look at it (notice the "mostly") as an incentive to get the last quarter done on the wedding quilt which I've just started. Still need to design the piece. I'm thinking of a pomegranate motif as it is religiously symbolic and the notion of quilting six hundred and thirteen seeds is intriguing.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9408247

Looking forward to pictures!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9408258

Will do. I'm thinking white on white, or in this case vanilla on vanilla won't be that easy to photograph.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9408929

Laurel - I'm sure the quilting will be fantastic so you need to use a thread so the design can be appreciated fully!!!!

I just finished a 2nd baby quilt. What is with decorating baby rooms in grey? I don't get it. My DD used pink & grey, these babies have aqua/grey & yellow/grey, then met a young lady in JoAnn's who was just doing grey & white. And no patterns just solid colors.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9408975

I think grey is the new 'in' color.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9409029

yes, I think grey is the new neutral choice, better than black IMO. Maybe now I'll be able to find more selections of greys here. Mostly solids and maybe a grey print or two, usually on black. Would love to find calico or paisley type prints..
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9409033

Jean, nothing could be more fantastic than this tone on tone whole cloth piece. http://pinterest.com/pin/121315783684274804/ I have never done one before. Many have trapunto work which is also used in Japanese embroidery. I do it but will def not have the time for that.

Don't know about the baby decorating. They come out with something super snazzy and a designer logo in a magazine; then everyone wants it. Maybe the primary colors we raised our kids on caused ADHD. lol Shoot, I thought burning my gift copy of Dr. Spock, along with my bra, made me a know-it-all!

Perhaps the next generation will need antidepressants at an early age. DD says she does not plan on nursery decor at all. I'm fine with that but her MIL is super peeved with them not wanting to know the sex and not being immersed in a frenzy of baby having. MIL is an avid crafter and has a long list of gender determined chachkies she wants to make.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9409063

I was in disbelief when my GS and his wife announced elephants for their baby girls room. However once I started looking around there was tons of feminine elephants for baby girls. Her room is just darling.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9409066

love elephants (think Dumbo...)! Found the cutest stuffed elephant at a local Hallmark with a rattle inside when Bella was born, she loves it! Of course, had to get her a rabbit, and a bear and... lol. And to think she'll inherit Gramma's collection of Boyd's bears..
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9409068

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=249525944212495&Store_id=499&page_id=23&Item_ID=86513&Parent_Ids=

I have a couple questions. Do you think the background on this is to yellowy, does it make it look dingy to you? Never having done applique, Im curious what you do with the edges, this one, nothing is done. Could you somehow sew around all these pieces to make it look 'finished, or would that ruin it?

Ive seen some really cute elephant fabric.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9409077

oh... someone sent me a link to this pattern from QC. It makes an 18" block, but I'm thinking it could be made smaller. Made with strips, similar to LCs

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CoarsewovenBlock.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9409101

Way too many "Y" seams the way they are making it.

I made a super cute elephant quilt for a co-worker's new niece a few years ago. It had yellows & pinks in it. Must have a photo somewhere..

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9409111

Pat, I really like your aprons.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9409143

Kathy love the block but I have not tried "Y" seams. Might have to do that in the future.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9409156

GG, that's a beautiful quilt. I've never done anything that intricate that is not needle turn applique. No, the fabric does not look dingy. Looks like a huge project.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9409166

Pam, that quilt is gorgeous!! if you are wanting to try applique for the first time??? you need to find a few very simple designs...for instance a snowman. simple circles , basic shapes...square hat...

there are many types of applique, one uses iron on fusible stuff, and you stitch around raw edges. there is needle turn, where you fold in the edge of your design, as you are stitching it onto your background. there is a method in which you use interfacing. if you look on u tube you can find example of them all.

then there is the question of sewing by hand or machine, needle turn is by hand, the others are machine or hand stitching..

cute aprons Doc!!!

and Barb. I love that quilt !!

I love the look of greys and yellow, with some black and white thrown into the mix...

grey and solids in general are becoming more and more popular...goes with the new "modern quilting" craze / fad although I hate to use those terms, not sure how else to describe it.

I would like to get brave enough to tackle a whole cloth quilt someday :)

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT      

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9409169

this is Santa face I did applique. fused onto background, which is a Dresden plate. stitched around raw edges with machine blanket stitch.

I am finding I like quite a few of these "modern" quilts I am seeing. many done in just solids.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 12:15 PM

Thumbnail by barefootT

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9409267

Besides loving it, the only reason that I would attempt thinking about that quilt is, the pieces are all already cut out and the steam a seam is on the back already. To me, the work would really be in doing something with the edges. I know they didnt, but in my mind, I would want to.

I did a class once with a block with Y seams. No fun to be had there. I think actaully, thats what got me to start paper piecing. I loved that it turned out perfect every time.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9409290

Quilt top is done! Now it is on to some more totes...5 more to do for February...

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9409417

Ref that applique...I think it would be almost impossible to do that applique by machine & have it come out looking like that sort of applique should look. Pieces that small & detailed need to be done carefully by hand.

I'm with Thunder - try applique with some large pieces & see if you like it before trying something complicated.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9409425

Beautiful, Barb. It's going to really look nice when you get it quilted.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 5, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9409453

Love the quilt Barb, nice feeling putting together something you forgot about and finishing it..

Am enjoying doing cut out for over 100 pieces to appliqué the eagle..no stress project!

Need to find outer border fabric so I can really get to the applique

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 5, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9409572

Went back for a peak Barb..gorgeous piece.

While at the fabric shop today I saw a piece that will be taught shortly, lovely poinsettia's with beading in the centers..I'll have to soon decide if I'm going to fly to Florida for a weekend or not, if not then I'll take the course.

Need fabric for 5" border..had the fall trees that I did the 2" border but it's too overwhelming..cannot completely iron on the piece I of fabric I traced for easier placement of the pieces..doing it a bit differently..what I shall do when the next border is on is cut from the back the additional fabric under the pattern eagle..minimize the thickness...

hoping by weekend I can have it finished and quilted..here's hoping..

back cutting wings/feathers lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9409611

I love Edita Sidar's work "Laundry basket quilts' but that applique quilt is daunting. But than if you don't try you won't suceed. it is beautiful.

Betty I think we should call you "whirwind".

other wise no wisdom here. nothing new in the making.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9409629

WOW that is awesome Betty, can't wait to see it finished.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9409689

Pam, if the pictured quilt, Spring Bouquet is the one you are thinking for a first project, it's beautiful but a LOT to take on for first applique!

Barb, love the quilt, binding in red? or will there be another border? REALLY pretty, good job!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9409724

Could not help thinking about Thunder. This pintrest stuff is just really wasting alot of my time...love it!!!!!! ;-0

http://pinterest.com/kdrg/holiday-day-of-the-dead/
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9410434

That is some under taking with the applique. I do it but it really isn't my favorite activity.

Pam, please don't get me onto Pinterest!!! LOL, I can waste the entire week just looking at some of the crafts there...and dreaming!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9410572

Well, the thing about pintrest is, one thing leads to another and another and so on. You click on something you like, and then it takes you to more and more, and then there is stuff you never knew about, and you love it too. It like the skeletons...I dont know how I got to them, but boy did I think they were pretty/neat/ interesting...etc.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9410602

I dont know how to post over on the 'cube'. I forgot about it once Dave started ATP. Im desperate to be 'in on' the black and white D9P. Would one of you all sign me up, or just know that Im going to send some as well.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9410611

Just look for Taters55...Linda Cartwright..in this forum, she's in both and is accepting the D9P squares. http://cubits.org/craftycubit/thread/view/73002/
This is the thread link.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9410633

Thanks, I can get there tho, I just dont know where you go to post...I have no blinking line to tell me where to write.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9410676

Just like here scroll to the bottom to the empty box.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9410687

OMG...stupid is as stupid does. It would help if I went to page 7...not page 1. On page one I saw Jan 5th and in my mind, that was yesterday, I even thought...isnt that odd, they go the opposite way as ATP. OOOOOOOOOO Lord. Well, since Im a month behind when that was posted, I guess Im a little late...:-X

I did get a fair amount of 2 x 7 strips cut today. Im going to use them as enders and leaders for a postage stamp quilt. I wanted all squares a different fabric, but this one will end up with 3 squares of the same fabric. The should be pretty hard to detect as the same tho, with so many. I'm almost wondering if I should use some sort of stablizer tho, so it will hold its shape when putting it together.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9410709

Barb - how it the weather? I just heard from DD they are supposed to get over 30" of snow!!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9410724

Garden glory, you do know that it is not a swap for the disappearing 9 patch, it is a donation for charity quilts. Would love to have you join us.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9410756

30" of snow? Oh thank you for living in Florida!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
4:22 AM

Post #9410896

It starts tonight for me and goes through Saturday!!! A typical nor'easter is on it's way. Norm has the shopping list for his way home from work. We will be fine. It is supposed to be just light and fluffy snow but the winds are supposed to get to 40+ which will make white outs a huge possibility. Also will make it difficult to keep the roads clear until it ends. They will fill back in as soon as the plow leaves!!! So-we are planning for cookless meals if necessary and if no heat we will go to my daughter's house five miles away. We have Norm's work truck which will have no problem with the snow. So we will be fine. As long as I have power, I'll try to post and update you Jean...
Got the start done on five more totes yesterday. All the handles are made and all the quilting is done. Just need to assemble now and my ten for February will be done.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9410899

Not too late to catch a flight south!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
4:34 AM

Post #9410904

Thanks my friend!!! But a true New Englander I am so I'll weather the storm with my sweetheart...Especially if we lose the power - nothing like cuddling to keep you warm!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9410919

Besides, Barb, your weather is so conducive to getting projects done. That's assuming you have power.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9410949

Looks like it should be 79 here today, temps will drop tomorrow tho, looks like a high of 72. Id take cold weather tho, if it would just rain. We are just dry and sandy.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9410953

I bet she has binding to stitch on by hand if she lose's power? Be careful Barb if you guys have to drive anywhere!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9410958

Rained on & off yesterday & overnite. To be stormy later today. Will be great for pulling weeds & putting grass seed down tomorrow!!!! Should have raked leaves over the weekend. Oh well, not too many and they are small.

Started some patriotic D9P yesterday. Blues in the slice pieces, red in the center, and an eagle w/bunting in the corners. I'm listening to a book that requires some concentration so can't work on a pattern that requires "thinking".

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9411055

thanks Pam :) I could find a few tattoos out of that art work !! LOL nah...next one is going to be a bird holding an anchor, for my Sailor. If I can only find someone to draw just what I want...

hope all you northerners are staying safe and warm...

Barb, I am loving the thought on cuddling...warm fuzzy snuggles to you and Norm.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9411090

Jean, the QOV quilts I see always seem to be so 'hard'. Could they make use of quilts with something like the D9P, or some other more simple blocks?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9411104

Just finished my ten totes for February. I used the fabrics from Marion (Maid M) (abbisgranma) for all ten of them and she also sent me the coloring books and crayons!!! They came out well I think. Still have some her fabrics left and some from Thunder, Jaye and some from Linda Kay also. You guys are the best!!!!

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 11:57 AM

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9411106

Oh cuddling!! I seem to remember something like that. :-) Barb, just be careful please and stay in touch as much as you can.
Okay ladies, the rains are on their way. It was drizzling when I got up this morning but has continued to get harder as the day progresses. Just spoke with a friend who happens to currently be in Pensacola and she said it was stormy during the night there. Don't know if we are to get the "stormy" part but definitely the rain.

Pam, what is the weather for Saturday? I will be coming to Gainesville for a memorial service and curious what to expect.

Wow Barb, they look fantastic. The best possible use for those fabrics.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 11:57 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9411112

Barb, those came out great! Love the colors Marion! The kids will love them!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9411115

Those were left over pieces from our various swaps. I am so happy Barb could make good use of the fabric. PS...Kim bought the books and crayons. She said she thought this was a wonderful idea and more kids needed people who really cared. So she added those just to make her feel better. :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 7, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9411116

All your efforts and those who have sent fabric are to be commended..how these totes will brighten up their day... gorgeous for sure..
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9411137

72 on Saturday. I sure would like to hook up.
I too, Im doing a funeral on Saturday. One of the girls friends Mother, rejected a liver transplant. Hard for me to process. Here one day, ...
She was so nice :-(.

Great bags Barb, Im getting real close to being done with my first one. If the darn study did not flood from a broken pipe, I would be done already. My 'reward', other than knowing a child will get it, is buying the crayons and coloring books. Im going to talk to the manager of Books a Million to see if he will give me a deal for quantity.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9411140

Sorry to hear about th broken pipe! Hope nothing was damaged too bad! Seems to take forever to move everything and clean up the water.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9411155

Boy did you hit that on the head. I have been taking all the drawers out of the dest, etc. The wall units not oly have drawers full of JUNK, every nick nack that the girls ever got in their life were on that thing, so we could move the furniture out. ERRRRRRRR Hard enough just to get it all out, but now im in a fret over going thru the junk before it goes back. At least the carpet...therefore the smell, is OUT. Got an estimate on putting wood in there to match the living room and dining room. 1400$...NOT. I hate to put carpet back in cases this happens again, but I dont use that room enough to warrant that kind of money. The AC man came out and said it would be 7K for a new AC or 2500 to replace the compressor in a 13 year old AC. Im actaully considerng 100 dollar window AC's in the bedrooms and sewing room and calling it a summer. The home owners association does allow them, but all but one would be in the back and they would never know.
Very grateful still, not to be ill, but when it rains, it does pour, doesnt it.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9411159

Those little window units use a lot more energy! And they only last a few years. Do you have insurance to cover the damage?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9411202

Pam, have you checked to see if the City of Gainesville offers a "help" program for replacing new A/C units. At one time, I know they did. They also offered help (low rate loans) for water heater replacement as we took advantage of that offer. We have used the same type deal with rental property we used to have in Tallahassee...loan was from City of Tallahassee. Worth calling and checking into...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9411277

The totes are wonderful, Barb. You've made the day of many children in need of happy moments. :)

I spent the day in the studio storage room and realized I'd had nothing to eat today. Came up for a bite and a cup of tea. It's wet and yucky here too. Emptied out most of the room and moved in two storage cabinets from the Miami house. The room provides dual storage for sewing and catering work. Most of the stuff found its way back in there but there's more to do to accommodate all the fabric and notions brought back over the past several years. My back is telling me to quit now and reward myself with some stitching before starting dinner.

While muddled in mindless cleaning the design for the whole cloth naming blanket came to me. It will be a giant pomegranate containing a pomegranate tree with eighteen pomegranates. The number eighteen, or Chai, symbolizes life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_(symbol) Now I'm getting excited about this and washed the fabric today. Randomly shaped Pomegranate seeds will make up the background quilting. Not sure about a border yet. Maybe pomegranate leaves or flowers or both.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9411525

can't wait to see the stitches emerge...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9411727

Geeez laurel you are a pro at this. can't wait to see the start, middle and end of this project. haning my head
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9411735

I'm pulling a Betty. Up late and just finished a preliminary sketch on notebook paper. Rough but the idea is down. I'll try for a photo tomorrow.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9411790

Laurel how exciting is that, designing a quilt for someone you love..amazing
something I'd likely not be tempted to do!

As for pulling a Betty, that's somewhere you don't want to go..lol looking forward to seeing the sketch.

It's a white winterland outside, home for the day so with coffee in hand I'm wondering where to start.

Have the 16 stages of cut-out tracings organized and in ziplock bags, now to take each bag, and cut from various eagle color tones..

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9411794

I do have my Betty on. Could not fall asleep until around 2 a.m. and was up at six.

Betty certainly you could design a quilt!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9411884

That is going to be soooo amazing Betty. I am a huge fan of eagles. I so envy your patience and you too Laurel. You ladies are remarkable to take on such projects, I can't wait to see them finished.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9411886

Hope I'm not overstaying my welcome. Here's the rough sketch design without borders. I've got some ideas for that now too. The negative space in the large pomegranate will be filled with pomegranate seeds. Oh, I can't wait to start this.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9411889

cool sketch Laurel!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9411912

Going to be absolutely eye catching and a work of art..bet you are now all energized, ready to seek out the perfect fabrics!

Karen, thanks..not a difficult project, all the work was cutting and packaging specific numbers..today I'm matching fabrics to those numbers and cutting..I'll be glad when I can finally add the pieces.

Tomorrow I'm off to the husqvarna dealership for a class for those who bought new sewing machines over the Christmas holidays...basics on 1st class, 4 more after that, ie what to do with the feet, the quilting etc. looking forward to it.. Of course the session is free to those who bought the machine in her studio but $35 a lesson for those who did not..minimal I'd say to get the most out of the machine..

Good project for a Snowday!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9411923

Laurel, that is going to be beautiful!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9411928

Laurel, your design is stunning. I really like it.
And Betty, I would love to get the pieces and then return them to you. Or trace the big sheet- probably easier that way. Norm just absolutely loves eagles and wolfs. I have made him a wolf blanket but would love to surprise him with an eagle... Let me know...Thank you.
Edited for spelling!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 9:51 AM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9411931

Thank you all.

Betty I bought the fabric this past week and washed it yesterday. It's a Makower fabric. Cream with butter colored pin dots. Makower is a UK company that makes fine quilting and embroidery fabric. There are some really nice tone on tone patterns out there but none of them made sense for this project. Some are geometric and many are floral or vines. It wouldn't look right to have roses or grape vines with a pomegranate design.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9411938

Meant to tell you Laurel that you can't overstay here at all!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9411956

Barb, all the pieces are in baggies, infact i will include most of the fabric, need to little for the eagle parts and yet have to buy a minimum cut...will ship them out shortly! Not sure I'd ever do another but one never knows..lol

Laurel you will have to post photo's of fabrics you are using!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9411994

Laurel - that is amazing. I can't draw anything that anyone would ever recognize when it was done.

The local Eagle family has put a nest at the top of a utility tower across the main road from us. I need to get out with my binoculars & take a better look.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9412039

Betty I would love to borrow that design after Barb. Hubs loves eagles too. would be a nice surprise for him.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9412053

I'm sure Barb would pass it on Thunder..

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9412059

thank you :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9412090

Oh happy days, finally after all he prep my eagle is getting his wings..

Thunder as I take the backing off each piece I am setting them in a ziplock bag as I have done for Barb..rather than cut you will just have to trace..#'s already on them

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9412133

You are one clever lady Betty. And of course I would have shared and forwarded to Thunder!!! Now I must be careful Norm does not see this. When you send pieces to me can you put in a dummy pattern of something so when he asks what Betty sent, I can show him that? He picks up the mail now and doesn't miss a trick!!!! He would want to know what I got especially from you!!. Thank you my friend.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9412138

Lol will do, I've had a little parcel for you and a few of the girls, was waiting for next trip your side of the border. But might not wait and will include it in that package..

Just finished appliqué stitch on the feathers, now for the 2nd layer
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9412145

do you stitch around the feathers before you put them on.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9412151

No, stitching around each layer so that as I keep adding there will be more dimension

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9412177

stitches once completed won't be the focal point (I hope)

am sure the higher in lawyers I get the better I shall become lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9412197

I would have to make two...as my aunt always says the last one always comes out better so make it first.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9412217

Lol, highly unlikely I'll make two..have another pattern for quilt for other cousin who loves nature.

Sooo I'm sure as the layers progress it will look wonderful. Then add in quilting and godson will be a happy camper.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9412219

Betty, this is raw edge, right? And what kind of stitch are you using? I have a horse that I want to do... someday.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9412224

Raw edge and the appliqué stitched set on 1.5

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9412702

Can anyone tell me if $350.00 is a good price for this machine? Singer Featherweight 221 sewing machine

Thumbnail by taters55

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9412735

Linda, look at them on Ebay, there seems to be a wide range of prices. I suppose it depends on condition and accessories.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9412816

Linda - depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Since these are older machines, they don't have bells & whistles. And although they are a solid machine, if it was used a lot, it may have some wear. What tends to wear out on these is the upper tension mechanisms and the bobbin cases.
I think it is quilter_gal who has all the info on the older machines. Have not seen her on for quite awhile.

To those up North - how are you doing? Just watching coverage on TWC makes me cold!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9412817

Betty, no hurry on the eagle! Please wait until your next trip down to USA okay!!!!! No need to spend extra and I will send postage...
Sitting here watching the town plow leave 4'+ snowbanks across the driveway. Fun! Fun!
We do have a man who plows us and the kids have told us they will be down later. We don't need anything so we aren't too concerned about it. I will try to use my 24" ruler and get a measure of the snow after the wind dies down a bit...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9412826

I've always wanted to do a quilt of Lemoyne stars but knew I did not have the patience to do them the correct way. Have put singles in sampler quilts.
Well, F&P show this week has a ruler (Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star Template) for making them that looks like it may well be worth the investment. Here it was in the Oct/Nov 2012 issue and I somehow missed it. Need to check & see if JoAnn's carries the ruler.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9412860

http://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/Rapid-Fire-Lemoyne-Star-Template/

Found this on Google.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 9, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9412874

Brilliant day out there..was out shovelling back entrance into basement, steps, just finished when Andrew who plows arrived to do the main drive. He plows wide enough and long enough I could park 12 cars..lol. Almost thought of getting my snowblower out to do walkway but heck physical activity is good for you.

Have everything packed ready to go the sewing studio in Midland for lessons n the saphire..short a piece of brown/black for the eagle so sure hoping somewhere in town I can find it..poor eagle has half wing,tail,feet..needs a body and head lol

Barb, going to check my schedule, need some mailing done so maybe a Saturday run to Buffalo might be in order.

Glad family will come help..too much for Norm to do. I would say we got about
1 1/2 ft yesterday alone..

Sky is blue. Sun shining, making it the perfect kind of day..

Enjoy yours
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9412907

I'm hoping to find it for less than that price. Found one on e-bay but just $3 less. Doesn't look like JoAnn's is carrying it yet.

Just finished the binding on the Sandy quilt. Still have to put the labels on the back.

Sunny here also. I'd say it was "chilly" but temp is all relative.

Heading out tot he studio to finish putting my D9P pieces together.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9412944

Well I took this picture at 9:30 this morning and it is still snowing with an estimated stop time around noon...Thank heaven it is the light fluffy stuff this time! No idea what it will be at noon!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9413084

Barb - you need to send that pic to Fons & Porter as another use for a quilting ruler!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9413189

Just got back from JoAnns, of course they didnt have what was advertised. Came home to order and now the web site wont let me order

http://www.joann.com/search/_everydaystorage/

If you look at this page, there is a storage box...second row, second item, for 9.99. At the bottom of the page, last item, is what appears to be the same item in colors, for 6.99. My computer wont let me order that 6.99 box for love nor money. I was wondering how that came up on your computer. I was going to order 7 of them, would get free shipping, and I could put my blocks in them that Im working on. Now that I know they have them for 6.99, Ill be darned if Im paying 9.99.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9413307

I just tried it, added it to my wish list, and my wish list never comes up. I think their web site has a problem.
Did you call the 800 # & order that way. I've had to do that when sites seem to get stuck on me.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9413332

Just called, they are out of stock. I, of course, asked them why they have them on the website still, and they said they are having trouble with their web site and they should not be there . Ive wasted WAY to much time on joanns today, thats for sure. Nothing they advertised I wanted at the store either. O well, they will come around on sale again. They have the ones for 9.99, but they are the same thing, only clear. Who knows, one day I might actually be able to go to joanns and get what I went there for. That place is jinxed for me. I guess we all know I didnt NEED them anyway.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9413365

I got the same thing, It would not let me order them. it says online only, but like you said, guess they are out of stock?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 9, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9413366

Everyone trying to get organized today?

Been lazing around, should get up and make myself useful

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9413368

Betty, listen to your body, it is telling to have a day of rest! You deserve it!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9413375

Jean I think I will ask Fons and Porter if they make a 30" ruler - just in case you know???
The total turned out to be 27-28"!!!!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2013 5:27 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 9, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9413383

Could always tape 2 together...allow for 48". Lol

You might be right LindaKay..little tidy up wouldn't hurt..

Got to measure small off chute room from family room to craft room, brother Bernie called and said he would be here 8am..need some idea of how I want finished..a design would help! Shouldn't take too much energy right?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9413401

Michael's also carries those containers & they always have a 40% off coupon.
COSTCO has them occassionally.
The ones at JoAnn's are always the most expensive.

Trim is painted.

D9P QOV needs a couple more rows added to the length. Have plenty of fabric left.

Have all my sewing things together for class tomorrow.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9413497

Barb, I can't find words to comment on your photo. It's something I've never seen. I'm trying to visualize snow plows, drifts that make you and Betty unable to get out of your driveways and all the complications of snowy weather. Think I'd be holing up 'til Spring. We can't we get out of our driveway in two inches of snow/ice with four wheel drive.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 9, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9413512

You get used to it Laurel..our plows keep roads nice and clear..there is beauty in it!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9413541

I never saw a snow plow until DD went to school in MA in '04. I thought it would look like a farm plow or giant front end loader. Wasn't I surprised to see an everyday truck with an attachment on front. lol How long is your drive? Do you pay a monthly fee for regular service come winter the way we do our landscape company? Our drive in Atlanta is over one hundred meters/three hundred fifty feet and includes a bridge. Forget Maypop. Our drive there is gravel and over five hundred meters/1/3 mile uphill. We can't get out of either home if we have serious icy snow. Though people would like to picture us southerners as cold weather wimps, the real reason is because snow here is usually preceded by sleeting rain. Driveways and roads ice over. You cannot even walk on it let alone drive.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9413644

true enough. many years ago we had to attend a wedding in Arkansas before the Holidas, talk about ice, thick thick. no one moved...for me coming from upstate NY this was unbelieveable but so real.

Gloating 78 here today a bit cool underair, but this winter is just amazing. Island is over run by touristo and so is Sarasota. So you think you stay put because of blizzards, no you stay put because of over run with people. Snow is nice and clean, people are nasty, pushy, want to go where they are already. Very Hectic.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9413910

One of the advantages of aging in New England when you have family near is that they come and clear you out when necessary. Here is my daughter clearing the back deck and my grandson working on the front... They know neither Norm nor I are supposed to shovel. We do have a plowman who comes and does our driveway per storm. He is a friend and doesn't charge us like his other customers. If the snow is under 3" he doesn't come at all. Only cost me $80.00 all last year!!!!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr      

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9413936

I have to agree with Helene about the tourist. Alot of them just need to 'chill'. I say come on down tho, they are the one thing that keeps FL
from having a state income tax. Hopefully by the end of their vacation they are relaxed and happy.

Im sure the snow was very pretty, especially before it had any footprints or started getting moved around.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9414144

Barb, that's assuming the kids can get out of their drive to help you out. Aren't you lucky to have family near? New Englanders say they miss the warm friendships most when they relocate to the South. We are a very transient area of the country. People come to Atlanta for business or professions and often relocate or retire elsewhere. I think with the growth of cultural resources in Atlanta and as development of the urban core includes housing, not just business, that trend will slow and we will become more like New York and Boston.

Talking about up north topics, I'm canning great northern beans today and transferring my newly sized pomegranate design to the fabric.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9414436

When I 1st went to HI, I looked at the houses on the mountains & my 1st thought was "how do they get up those roads in winter". Immediately laughed when I remembered I was in HI & there would not be snow in winter!!!!!

It is indeed all relative. In PA winter meant putting chains on the tires and clop clopping down the roads. They would mainly sand & pack the snow and you just drove on the packed sand.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9414452

Jean, when a goof friend moved back to the milder Pacific Northwest (Tacoma/ Seattle ), she saw all the little raised reflectors on the road and wondered "how much the snow plow doesn't scrap them off?" She KNEW better if she was thinking!! (Like you and HI!) That part of the state gets LOTS of rain and rarely snow, THEY need those reflectors in all the rain!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 10, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9414516

Freezing rain tonight and tomorrow,been in bed since yesterday aft with flu, doubt I'll be moving tomorrow
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9414566

Get well soon, Betty. It's pouring here. Not cold enough to freeze.

I got the pomegranate transferred. Now to design and transfer the borders. Slow going.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9414582

The weatherman says more snow -3-4"-changing to rain tomorrow! Can you imagine what that will do to all this snow. I need to have Norm check the roof!!!!
How are you feeling now Betty? Best you stay home and get well...

This message was edited Feb 10, 2013 7:16 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9414663

Feel better soon Betty!!

Chamber of Commerce day here today. I got alot of spraying for aphids and rust done. Started working on finishing up front prunning. Tried to clean up one side of the yard, but I think I did more moving stuff around, than cleaning. I ran out of daylight, but Ive got to do some round-up spraying tomorrow. Showered, and Im ready to do a little unwinding with some putting together of some D9P blocks.

Looking forward to watching Laurels quilt take shape. I know its going to be a stunner.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9414676

Why did you have Chamber of commerce at your place Pam?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9414687

Sunny...low humidy..no mosquitos...slight breeze... mid 70's... blue sky...sand hill cranes filling the sky and sounding their arrivial. Azealas and camelias blooming, carolina jasmine, citrus blossoms, tea olive filling the air with glorious aroma. Birds nesting all around. One of those days you get only a few of a year. I call it a Chamber of Commerce day, as I figure this is the kind of day they would 'put out' to the world to brag about the area. I hope to get in a few more of these before the oppressive summer hits. Im guessing it was about the same for Marion and Jean.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9414717

Sounds like a beautiful day!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9414735

WOW Pam... it's just cold here! LOL, not what the North Eastern states are getting but it sure is NOT what you are describing!!

Betty so sorry to hear you have the flu bug. So far I have dodged it, I encourage the clients with flu to STAY home, I don't want it or need it!!

My Valentine projects are finally cooperating with me and will go out tomorrow. VERY doubtful they will be received on Valentine or sooner but I guess that's my outcome for now. THANK you E6000, it seems at least when I switched to that product my success rate changed.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9414778

Glad that glue worked for you!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9415255

Pam...I just found this and thought you might be interested..
http://thecraftyquilter.com/2013/02/applique-part-1-terminology/

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9415284

at the quilt shop they are hand quilting an applique quilt "Florida" by pearl Perira from the American Album series.
that is one unusual quilt top, done by the Venice Fl guild as their Raffle for next years show.

American Album series depects quilt tops of all states...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9415293

Thanks Thunder. I have pinned it, and I am going to give an easy shape a try. Ive been talking about wanting to learn to long, I now need to give it a try.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9415308

http://www.honeybeefabrics.com/store/products/?category=147 here are some block from this series.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9415677

Helene, those are some beautiful applique blocks!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 11, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9415779

They are indeed a work of art..leave the hand appliqué to my sister Sharon and Aunt Muriel.

Speaking of sister, she and her American Eskimo are in New York City..if she wins' best of breed ' again this year her entry will break many records so here is hoping
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9415853

Helene - those are some beautiful applique pieces. I can appreciate that type of applique but would never have the desire, or patience, to do it. After all that work, you couldn't use it and I believe in using my quilts.

Today I did yard work, and more yard work. Still more to be done but the bulk is done. Mowed & the BIG weeds gone. Those that are left need a dose of weed killer.
Next task will be to put down some grass seed...next week!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9416088

the quilt is stunning - I'll make a trip and take pictures(veryone and their uncle is in Fl. this year because such exceptional winter, like I said before so I don't get off the island readily).
Like I said it was made by a guild, each capable member had to participate. I believe each block was worked on by either 12 or 14 people.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9416091

I think you understood that only a few more block patterns are available now from each state... not sure how it worked.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 12, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9416316

Yikes - not been here since Feb 7th - missed a lot...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9416319

Yet another day home under the weather, so wanted to finish machine appliqué the eagle bit he'll have to sit for a few more days..in the meantime will follow you on your sewing adventures
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9416331

Betty - hope you are soon up & at em!!!!

I have quilt camp this weekend & need to gather fabrics to take with me. I'm still working on making scraps into useable strips so know I'll be taking those along with me. Maybe I'll do an Anita's Arrowhead. I'm to teach a class to another group later in the month & it might be nice to have an example to show them. The 3 I made all went to others.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9416347

How exciting about your teaching..nothing like watching all in awe of what they've accomplished!

Here is my eagle, waiting patiently for me lol

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9416359

Did he fly away?????

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9416373

would help if I posted photo lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9416379

Really looking beautiful Betty.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9416390

As you machine appliqué each layer it gives it a 3d appearance..anxious to get his head on..intricate pieces though

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 8:53 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9416396

Amazing Betty. It is going to be beautiful!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9416414

What stitch are you using to applique Betty? That is looking really nice!

Jean, how nice to be teaching a class, they will like doing that block, Anita's arrowhead!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9416419

Regular appliqué stitch LindaKay.

Well it's 9am and the girls who normally come to paint or sew on Tuesdays while I'm at work haven't arrived as yet..perhaps they knew I was still home unwell and cancelled for the day..they would not have bothered me as I'd be upstairs and they downstairs but just as well..a quiet day it will be.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9416454

Not as quiet as I thought, girls who come to play at my house Tuesdays got here and surprised to see me

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9416479

BEWARE - FedEx Scam

If you receive an email that appears to be from FedEx that says they "could not deliver a package" DELETE the email. Do NOT open the attachment.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9416496

I saw that on Snopes.com a few days ago!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9416513

Still no package LindaKay from Missouri quilts?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9416521

No package yet today Betty, mail runs early to late afternoon here! I will let you know as soon as it arrives.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9416547

Warms the heart to see the girls take on sewing projects..for beginners they are doing fantastic

Usually they are here painting in oils/watercolors etc. Nice for a change of pace

June who rarely sews is doing machine quilting on a piece for new grandchild

Ann is getting ahead of the game with sets of Christmas placematts..think she caught my itch to get Christmas gifts done

Here is

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9416551

Glad to see them learning to sew!
What are the blue and pink gloves for? And your last picture, log cabin placemats?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9416554

pressed send before I should have..

Pat is doing placemats as well...like the idea it has utensil holders and napkin holders..I'm tracing pattern..drats I should be upstairs resting right..too much excitement going on here.

Here are the 2 sets of antique pillow cases I received from Aunt Muriel..about 100 years old..anxious to find a place to set them out

Someone else is enjoying their sewing..great place to lay and watch

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9416557

Machine quilting gloves..has textured area on the underneath that helps move the fabric while machne quilting..great investment

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9416698

having quite the sick day..lol
With all the laughter I can feel myself get back

Bet once June finds a base color for strapping these blocks will make a nice quilt

Missy just moves from room to room watching our antics..she'll need a rest for sure once all leave

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9416737

Love those sun bonnet sue blocks, someone put a lot of work into them!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9416774

Jean, I get one of those fed ex phishing emails at least three times a week. They have been coming since the first of December. At first, I sent them to Fed Ex, to see if they could at least shut one person down. They didnt respond, and those things are still coming fast and furious. I do just as you suggested, delete them. Im just now thinking tho, they do kinda coincide with when Im ordering stuff online, even if the stuff is coming UPS. Maybe thats how they get people to open them, they know the person has something coming anyway.

Looks like fun at Bett'ys, sure hope your feeling better soon to enjoy it again.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9416816

Did enjoy, day was filled with laughter!

Couple friends want me to take a jaunt to Buffalo Saturday, we'll see.
Best I try going to work tomorrow and see how I feel before I make plans to run the roads. Lol

Am better though.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9416839

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Betty.

The fourth section of my quilt is off the frame. Now to add detail stitching to the squares while using a hoop. Then to figure out how to make the four parts into one quilt. Hoping to baste up the whole cloth piece tomorrow. Maybe even put a needle to the fabric. I'm straining at the bit but still have a long way to go on the wedding quilt.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9416844

It's lovely Laurel..only a quilter knows how much love went into those stitches!

Ann was here today, she is doing the Christmas placemats, she decided when working downstairs that she would love to try the perriwinkle quilt when I get the template...we talked about yardages etc. while having lunch she looked at the hanging quilt/quilts on my beds and said how she loved them..when I told her they were bought and for how much she asked why on earth would she go through the trouble of making one...told her for the love of quilting!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9416910

Betty, it is so nice to "see" Ann and June again!!!! Where was Pat? I didn't see her.
Looks like they are all having fun. I can just hear the laughter! The sunbonnet blocks are adorable...
I love your pillowcases. I would mount them in a shadow box if they were mine and display them proudly.
Sorry to hear your Mom isn't feeling well. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery for both she and Jim.
Laurel, your quilt is coming along so nicely. How much more to do?

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9416924

Betty, DD does not quilt but she has seen me needle one thing or another (including her and her brothers) for years. She has a fine appreciation for hand work.

Barb, probably two weeks of relaxing and a little Netflix to finish the fill in stitching on this quarter. With my schedule it will probably be a few months before it is all together. The justification for working on the whole cloth piece before the wedding quilt is done is that I will be keeping my fingers limber if I stitch. At some point, after hand assembly, the wedding quilt will require a hefty amount of additional quilting because I'm going to have to add squares, and not just sashing or borders, to size it near correctly. Even so, it will be a quilt of creative dimensions.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9416951

Barb, yep you've met the girls so you know they can be a handful! Always full of laughter..
They often ask when you will be back. Ann was in good spirits..actually she will be here any moment for tv bingo. Pat suggested much the same, shadow box with a few other family momento's but these are from an aunt thru marriage who was going to put them in salvation army buckets before aunt Muriel told her I'd appreciate them..perhaps I could put a set on back bedroom bed.

Laurel, you have everything figured out re design so I know it will be a quilt to treasure.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9416959

Betty, not true. I'm always flying by the seat of my pants with design and execution. That's the limit to my thrill riding.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9416967

Sometimes those efforts result in the most spectacular pieces.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9416978

Like painted morning glories!!!!
My Stacy leaves Thursday for a few days spent with her brother and family in Colorado. I'm sure you have all heard me mention my son and DIL and the two beautiful grands that are there. I made a hat for each of them including Stacy for when they are together. Came out kind of cute I think.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9416994

Love those hats, Barb! And, yes, we all know how creative Betty is but her morning glories are just the tip of the iceberg.

P.S. I thought the iceberg comment was a good analogy considering yours and Betty's weather this past week.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 12, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9417022

Ohhh love the caps

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9417221

Barb, those hats are adorable! How do you make the bill stiff?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 12, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9417250

betcha put cardboard in 'em?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9417266

pellon...

Y'all need to check this out...vote for your favorite sewing people, place and things...they win prizes, and sew can you.

http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/golden-quilter-awards.html
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9417408

I've been taking fabrics off my shelves & pulling them together. I have now gathered what I hope is enough for 3 tops - all will be very BRIGHT & cheery & bed size. Think that should be enough to keep me busy over the weekend.

Hopefully will be able to get some sewing in this AM also. I feel the NEED to create something!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9417432

I used plastic canvas mesh in the bills of the cap. That is what the directions called for so they can be washed and still be stiff!!! I'm glad you liked them!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9417447

Plastic canvas mesh, what a good idea. I'll have to remember that for diaper bag bottoms. I usually have hubby cut me a piece of plexiglas but I'll bet the mesh would work as well.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9417463

Boy, I wouldnt know who to vote for. One thing is for sure, its added alot more web sites for me to enjoy.

Looks like its going to be a bit chilly this weekend Jean, a good weekend to create.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 13, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9417607

Barb, must make note of that for future projects...tks

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9417739

The plastic mesh is so easy to cut to fit also. Just need to be careful on the inside edge that there are no sharp points. Worked well for me.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9417742

I use plastic mesh for the bottoms of the fabric "houses" I make for my birds. and have used it for insert to put into bottom of tote bags.
used to make some nifty earring with it too!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9418170

Has anyone ever gotten bad, I mean really bad fabric online. Is it rude to send it back? I have never seen fabric this 'cheap' never at wal mart or even the FQ's at joanns. It is so stiff and the weave so 'open'. I would not even use this for a charity quilt. It just feels horrible.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9418219

Where did you get it from?
I have never been disappointed with fabric I have purchased online.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9418228

I've never purchased fabric online, Pam. I have to feel it since it's going to be hand worked.

Whoo hoo! I got the whole cloth design finished and basted today. It's ready to stitch. Maybe try a stitch or two tonight? Wish I could post a photo of the design. Don't think it will show up with the almost white fabric.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9418249

I've been pleased with fabric online, but I wouldn't hesitate to send it back if I wasn't happy with the quality. If I wouldn't buy it in a store, I wouldn't keep it from an online source. I would tell them exactly why I was returning it.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 10:09 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9418255

I bought some fabric I was not totally pleased with on line, I sent an e-mail to the company, told them what i did not like, and they sent me a refund, then an e mail coupon for 25% off another purchase,apologizing for the inconvenience.

I purchase most of my fabric on line.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9418265

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-cotton-prints-under-6-yd-floral-print-quilting-fabric-flowers-vines-green.aspx

This is the fabric, I got it as the backing to a pink and green quilt. I looks just fine in person, but it feels horrible. It was on sale last week, so I went for it. Usually Im more careful to see who makes it. I guess when I saw it, and it was the right color and price, I just clicked order. Now that I look at the description, I will never buy fabric on line that says lightweight cotton and has no manufacture.

I will certainly buy from fabric.com again, but I will read better.

Id never get any nice fabric if I couldnt order online. Jo Anns it for me in town.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9418272

you should definitely let them know you don't like it!! and write a review..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9418293

I would let them know. I've ordered from them in the past & the fabric has been nice.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9418303

I've ordered from them and been pleased... I agree, talk to them.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9418311

I got other fabric as well, it was totally up to par. I like them because they have free shipping with 35$, and some good sales. I would take any suggestions for other places.
I have ordered from thousands of bolts, but I find it hard to go thru the site.

I love Hancocks of Paducah, but dont like paying the shipping.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9418316

oh ya... I forgot about 1,000 of bolts... Cutefabric.com, I ordered from them. I bought their bundles of scraps for JUST dog & cat theme fabric and was happy with it.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9418321

As I live and breath, I just sent that last post, notice an incoming mail. Darned if it wasnt Hancocks of Paducah and a code for a sale tomorrow. Im taking that as a sign...a sign to go shop ;-)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9418323

YES!! the universe has sent you a message!! Go and do... !!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9418326

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting.cfm is another place I order from.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9418341

green fairy, whittles, connecting threads, keepsake quilting, the intrepid thread, fabric.com, thousands of bolts, fat quarter shop, pat sloan, marthas quilting corner. that's all I can think of at the moment...

green fairy is the my # 1 spot to check for precuts, jelly rolls etc...
Intrepid thread has lots of new stuff, very very good quality.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9418361

Does anyone know where I can buy a circle cutter for fabric?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9418363

I bought one at JoAnn's, it's used with a small rotary cutter, works very well.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9418375

Thanks Karen, I will look for one when I get to San Antonio tomorrow.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 14, 2013
3:01 AM

Post #9418528

Happy Valentines day everyone..

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9418592

Happy Valentines Day. We're on the road back up north to close and pack up. Hopefully we'll be back here before long.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9418602

Drive safely Karen!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013

Post #9418631

Hope you have plenty of help Karen. I think moving is one thing I have started to truly dislike the older I get!!!! We are in limbo right now and stuff is packed that I want to use and Stuff I don't use still waits to be packed but we need to find the right place first. You know what it is like I'm sure!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9418695

I can definitely relate to the moving situations. I still can't find items I know I packed. They must be in with DH's books and there is a pile of those he has yet to unpack. And I have 2 wicker crates I can't get too until he moves what he has piled on top of them. And then I put stiff places and now can't remember where and I spend hours looking for things.

I was much better at moving when I had to do it every 2-3 years!!!!! Collect too much when I sit in 1 place for too long.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9418879

I loathe moving. Ive been packing up stuff and boxing up stuff from the room that flooded, and Im hating every minute of it. Besides not liking to do it, I see so much stuff I need to go thru and put somewhere else or throw out. Ive been in the house for 12 years now and there are still boxes I havent unpacked, and probably never will. I stumbled on a box of old sorority stuff the other day, dont want it, hard to toss. My Mother called the other day and wanted me to take a box back that she found that has stuff from 7th grade in it. Just what I need. One day tho, the new floor will be in, the room will be put back together, and that will feel like utopia.

I called fabric.com about the fabric I want to return, the girl I talked to was far from friendly, but at least they are sending a free label to ship it back. Guess she just doesnt want to be working on valentines day. It certainly wont stop me from buying from them if I see the right fabric at the right price.

http://pinterest.com/pin/416090453042492796/ Just had to

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 12:24 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9418998

Glad you called Pam. I have not ordered very much from them but atleast what I did order has been very good. I have been going to Missouri Star Quilt Company but the last order I placed still hasn't been shipped and it has been a while. That is so unusual for them.
I have also ordered from a place called Counterpaines LLC and their materials are very nice.

Unpacked boxes? Oh I thought those were the base for my end tables! :-) I still have some that need to be gone through but I think most of the stuff is Kim's and she should be doing it...not me!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9419086

I couldn't resist stitching. Now there's no turning back.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9419201

I don't really order fabric online much, just because I don't feel like I get the true colors off the computer screen, but I also like to feel what I'm buying too. I used to work at a quilt shop, and I know how much business means to the small businesses, so I try to shop at my local quilt shop as much as I can. And I'm lucky, because our local shop, Stepping Stones, is a very good shop. LOTS of fabric!

Maypop, do you go to the Quilt Expo that is in the Atlanta area? I think I might enter a quilt there this year, and I wondered if it was a good show?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9419239

Your quilting is fantastic Laurel. I hope you will post as you go along and we can watch it take shape. Thank you for showing us your beginning.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9419344

Packing won't be so bad this time. About half our stuff is still packed in the storage trailer because we had no room for it here. I wish I had the time to go through it, I'll bet there is quite a bit I can do without...since I have for two years. Need to pack sewing room, computer room and kitchen. Most of the rest we are giving to the grands or donating.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9419507

It does feel good to clean and dejunk... "lighten the load". Right now I'd settle for just CLEANING!!! LOL
DH is still keep plugging along on the remodeling... DH & my 3rd son worked all of yesterday. They got the exterior trim on the new door, and replaced a corner exterior trim that was damaged before we bought the house. It looked tacky and I think it made the wrong first impression. My son is home for a visit from China and he came and helped for 2 different days. What a Sweetie!

I took tomorrow off from work. Now... to just not get called out today and I'll be rejoicing!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9419569

I know 1st hand that a bit of new trim & paint can really make a difference.

Next week I think I'm going to tackle removing the old wall paper from what was the laundry room and what will become the Butler's Pantry/kitchen extension. Once the wall paper is off I can check my finances & hopefully be able to get the new pantry put in. I plan to get the kind that has the pull out sections.

But this weekend I am looking forward to hanging out with the ladies & sewing, sewing, & more sewing!!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9419701

The nicest thing about the new house? It's been well taken care of, paint is new and fresh and colors i can live with.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 15, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9419773

Karen the very best to you in this new adventure!!

Heading to Buffalo at 3:00..friend of mine has a few quilts to do so off fabric shopping. Tummy just started to act up again, wouldn't you know.NOT going to cancel as I've a few things I need as well and pkgs. for the post office. Anxious to get all I've said 'I'll send' on it's way.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9419786

Congratulations Karen. Sounds like you are really happy with this move. Just take it as easy as you can okay??? A picture or two would be wonderful!!!! Hint,hint...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9419804

OK Barb, Here's the front, The back yard is big and has a large play house plus two nice storage buildings one of which looks like an old timey general store from a western movie. There is still room for the pool I really want.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 15, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9419814

Gorgeous Karen, I'm so happy for you..sure a lot of sewing room..

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9419828

peel of wall paper and than wash everything down with hot water and fabric softenener (downy) easy peasy. perhaps a bit of scraping...

the house and the yard is awsome. Is it a done deal?

all is well just honkering down (as we did in blizzard condition) here because of people and traffic. This year just awful but I did say that here before

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9419829

People and traffic huh? Can be worse than blizzard!!

Karen, beautiful home and can't wait to see more pics!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9419842

That house and yard look to be WELL worth any the time and hassle it took to find it . Love it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9419904

Thanks, Barb.

Happy, it's been a number of years since I've gone to the Quilt Expo but it was great the few times I've been. Really a large show with a lot going on. I'm a pretty amateur quilter and because my finish work is almost entirely hand stitching I'm not knowledgeable about new techniques, products and fabrics. Maybe this would be a good year for me to re-visit the event. You are referring to this one in September? http://www.sewingexpo.com/GeorgiaQuiltShow.aspx It's less than ten minutes from my home.

Karen, I must have missed it but where are you moving to? Was it somewhere in Tennessee? How exciting!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 15, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9419913

Wanted to comment on your piece as well Laurel..I'm envious, what beautiful hand sewing! 10 minutes you say??? we should all go camping at Laurel's and do the Quilt Exhibition..lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9420025

Betty, thank you for the compliment. Regarding the Quilt Expo and ya'll camping at my house...okay. :)

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9420079

Maypop, that's the one! I hope to enter one of my quilts this year, so maybe you'll see it if you go! Thanks.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9420114

Yes Laurel, moving to just north of Knoxville, TN

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9420292

Did the preliminary cutting out for the T-shirt quilt for D.I. Tomorrow I'll cut the interfacing and get it ironed on, hopefully do the final cutting of the blocks.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9420298

Karen...You are just AWESOME. in the middle of trying to move...and here you are doing a t shirt quilt...wonderful. sure hope some of your gang will be around to help with the move.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9420373

Our gang is always here for us. I promised my grandson I would make this quilt and so I must. It will mean $500. to the scholarship fund. I can do it in a week or less.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9420376

like I said...Your are wonderful !!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9420381

amazing actually. good cause too!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9420395

That's our Karen!!! Wonder woman! 2nd only to Betty for getting things done!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9420401

Aw thanks, but not really, I could never make the amazing quilts you ladies do. I so wish I could.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9420763

But you do!!! I would never attempt a tee-shirt-quilt for anything and yet you whip them out like nothing at all.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9420798

I ito what Barb Said.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9420803

I think all of you are pretty darn amazing!!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9421036

I can't believe it is past the middle of February. Pretty soon it will be summertime. I work at a garden center, and I get to take January and February off, since that is our really slow season. Usually I get a good bit of sewing done this time of year, but not this year. And I've only got 2 more weeks of freedom! Looks like I won't get a lot of sewing done until the heat of summer hits, and we slow down again at work. Hope to keep seeing everyone's projects here!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9421105

Sounds like the best of both worlds. Something tells me you just might sneak into that great sewing room a time or two ;-).

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 16, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9421199

Did send a post this morning from hotel room but they were having difficulties with wifi..did post Karen how I admire you for taking time to fulfill a commitment for a worthwhile project..nothing gets in the way of putting smile on grandchildren's faces does it...even moving and exhaustion.

Now home, hit stormy weather for about 20 miles, was thankful bad weather cleared..

Was thrilled to find another couple of quilt shops in my travels..g o r g e o u s fabric..

USA Postal Service sure must love my business lol

Home, bathed, in my jammies, looking at fabric I bought for the periwinkle quilt..going to read up on another twister pattern I purchased (one I tried to get online but couldn't) so all is well in my world...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 16, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9421204

So glad you're home, safe & sound, Betty!

finally... getting work done on the lap quilts I started 1 1/2 years ago... for previous boss & his new wife - they will be married 2 years in July, and it was to be a wedding present for each of them... yikes, I'm way behind the times...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 16, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9421220

but you haven't given up Susan, that's what counts

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 16, 2013

Post #9421306

yes, that's true, Betty...

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9421364

I have a quilt that I started in 1994, and didn't finish until 2007. So don't give up on your unfinished projects. I tend to get going on something until it frustrates me, and then I will set it aside for a while and come back to it later.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 16, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9421381

Yes, these lap quilts were frustrating me - because I couldn't find a backing that wrapped around enough to be the front binding... so, I put a backing on, and had extra of the same fabric and will do a 2" binding of same material, front & back, separately on the 4 sides.
So, it won't look professional, but it will be done!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9421412

There is a LOT to be said for DONE! (Perfection is stumbling block to done for me frequently)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 16, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9421433

Thanks Pat, for making me feel better about my UFOs...
sometimes it's something that is promised to someone (gift, or swap blocks) and I find it difficult to forgive myself for disappointing someone...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2013
10:59 PM

Post #9421535

Worked long and hard on the studio again today. This is the first full day I've been able to put in. Now I see why it's taking so long. My poor Sweetie works slower than a snail. He just has NO stamina. Many days I put in an hour before I go to work, chalking or painting, cleanIng putting away tools etc and come home after work and I'm dismayed at how little was done in the 11 hours I'm gone. He's doing the best he can.

I put an hour or two in OUTSIDE, oh my that felt good!! I did a little weeding and drove rebar into the ground to display some of my cup & saucer garden art. I had some bulbs I had dug up to thin in early November, they were outside in the cold, I moved them into the house a couple of weeks ago. It finally thawed enough outside that I could use my potting soil. I potted up the dug up bulbs and we'll see if I can save any of them. They all had some growth when I planted them so maybe there is hope.

I'm thinking seriously of putting chicken wire down, then bark, in my front curved flower bed. I planted over 100 bulbs in there this fall and I have a neighbors cat using it for a litter box.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 17, 2013
4:12 AM

Post #9421585

Bless your husband Pat for trying..many wouldn't.

So envious of you being able to harden..bitter cold this mornimg..we must over past few days had freezing rain..wanted to go pick up a few groceries and the windshield is covered with thick ice..inside warming up and car outside trying to defrost...sure doesn't make for a quick trip to the grocery store

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9421623

Pat, try sprinkling moth balls around your bulbs, the smell might deter the cat from going there.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9421668

Progress report #1

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9421673

WOW - what tiny stitches. That is coming along really nicely Laurel. It should give you a really good feeling of accomplishment!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9421701

Yes, it is going quickly but my guide finger is meat even with a pretty extensive callous. lol Not having to quilt over all those pieced seams is a pleasant switch. I meant to comment that the random oblong shapes in the third photo are pomegranate seeds. There is an inner circle/pomegranate with the stylized tree and an outer one with seeds and the Hebrew letters for life. The letter sound "ch" is in the third photo with some of the seeds surrounding it. The "y" is the shape that looks like an apostrophe to the left of the "ch".

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9421718

I see it!!! So beautiful...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013

Post #9421744

Your stitching is beautiful. I just have to admire it, I know I don't have the patience.

I hope to get another hour or two in on the studio this morning. I have a nephew that flew into Tri-Cities on Friday and I need to arrange a quick visit after church. The hour drive there & then back is time eater.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9421791

I can't believe how much I miss when I can't get to the computer for a couple of days.
The pomegranate stitching is phenomenal, I so envy being able to do fine hand stitching. Just a quick update on what we're doing in February. Sheila and I joined Margie Engles new quilt guild, Coastal Quilters. We were given a brown paper bag with 40 2 1/2" strips to make a "strata" quilt. Yesterday we turned in our finished quilts. A little background info. The backing was something I found ay Wal-Mart many years ago for $1 a yard. You couldn't iron it on the front side as the gold would grab the iron and not slide. I donated it for backing because I had bought 10 yards thinking it would be good for something. 100 % cotton. I also used it to make the binding for both quilts. Sheila donated the batting and her lovely longarm quilting. Margie and Sheryl will donate all the quilts gathered to charity. Most are earmarked for homeless children. Our latest block was paper piecing (not my favorite thing) and we bought 8 reprints of our pattern block for $1.00. We could sew on the lines or fold the paper pattern back out of the way and sew along the edge of the pattern. I'm trying both methods. We started with eight 4" x 8" rectangles in four or five different hues. Trying to get good contrast between light, medium and dark.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9421803

Patti finished her block making the mariner's star, mine could be a friendship star or a pinwheel design. I think you can get the idea.

Patti donated her block to the placemat cause and I went home with a garbage bag full of donated orphans and backing fabric. They all know I am the placemats for MOW lady! My goal for tomorrow is to get two more quarters done so I get one complete block. I'll try to post pictures when I get that far. On friday we had GDO and we went to the Spacecoast Quilter's show Quilting from the Heart, so watch for that thread, I have some wonderful inspirational info to post.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy      

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9421974

some great projects!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9421987

Since I piece, not quilt, i had a good time taking some wayward blocks and making hot pads out of them last night. I tried to do a decent job of the quilting, but it didnt really matter, it was just fun to see something quilted. I used, for the inside, the hot pad stuff with a piece of batting in between. When I read directions for some, it had two layers batting and one of the hot pad stuff. That wouldnt fit under the walking foot tho. One thing I know is, one layer of the hot pad stuff does nothing for keeping your fingers from getting burned. These are the bomb, even if they dont look retail worthy.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 17, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9421991

Holy wahhhhh, was up at 3:15am, guess I'll not have to go to bed to keep up with you gals..talk about treasures..

Mittsy, can you tell me "how" I came about having quilt books with your name in them..I'm thinking it's your name on postal label..ahhh maybe it was from another Mittsy. Lol

Did my good turn of the day, had a cousin of my Dh's whom I just met, worked with her untild 1/2 hr ago..she went home thrilled with her project..brownie points. Lol. Take a break then see if I can get some of your energy..you gals sure are sewing up a storm..

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9421993

I would love to hand quilt, but I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands about 10 years ago, and I just don't have the hand stamina. I do love to appliqué, needle turn, but I guess pushing through all three layers to do the quilting is just too much. I like the piecing part much better than quilting, anyway, and just have given myself permission to have someone much better at it than me to do the quilting. I do machine quilt small things, but not bed quilts.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 17, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9421995

Mittsy, books I'm looking at are yours, positive, from 2008
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9422031

OOOOH is Happy speaking my language. I have the urge and desire to do something with my hands tho, so needle turn and redwork are what Im going to try.

I have some books to move on. I will take a picture and see if any of you might could use them. When Im throwing fabric away I dont want to look at any more, in a box that says clothes only :-x, I always include a couple books so hopefully someone will use it and not notice they are not clothes.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9422086

The piece work posted here is simply amazing. I would enjoy learning the techniques and patterns but then that's a whole other direction that I know would result in a ton of UFOs. This is my first whole cloth quilt and I'm loving working on it. It's not stressful on the wrists. My wrists do get sore if I quilt on the wedding quilt for a few hours. I'm finding that whole cloth quilting is most like embroidery and think this is something I would like to pursue. It allows me the opportunity to draw with a needle in ways I have not been able to master with a machine. I enjoy all sorts of applique techniques and openwork as well.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013

Post #9422357

Well keep the pictures coming of work. I love to see what everyone is working on.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9422781

Betty, the book might have made it to you via Barb when she did the Cicero to Canada trip with Norm.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 18, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9422806

That is it..there are a few magazines..couple of pieces I'd love to try! See now, you've put another 'to do' on my list Lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 18, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9422907

My latest victim...if I'm going to be a 'sewing' addict why not encourage others..

Helen (Roger's cousin by marriage) sure enjoyed her day

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9422912

I looked at the picture and all I could see was that iron down, I thought...shes going to burn down the house. I then remembered reading somewhere...I think, that your iron CAN be left down. I dont understand it, because I dont see how it would be hot when you wanted to use it, yet not not burn thru the board. I wish I had one tho.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 18, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9422927

Does stay hot..minute you take your hand from the handle legs come out electronically to keep it in that position..Technology isn't it grand.
But if the house burnt down it would be from me sewing Nd cooking at same time..heard the alarm once or twice, I'm just sooo careless, get into sewing and forget I'm cooking..sure I'm not the only one. Lol

Although bitter cold -28' sun is warming me up as I sit..hmm if I closed my eyes I could dream that I am on a Florida Beach

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9422941

How are you feeling today Betty? Still feeling punk or are you on the mend?
Helen looks so intense! Her place mats will be pretty.
I'm playing with some place mats whose pattern and fabric was a gift. Sea green, blue and cream...They are hexagons or ovals depending on if you make a mistake or not. Can you tell that I did!!!! Cut my corner triangles too small so I'm going to round them and the mats will look like ovals!!! Better than tossing them...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 18, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9422952

Feeling much better..as long as I'm not nauseated I can deal with it.. Ohh anxious to see your design..great thing about sewing, if it doesn't turn out, redesign!

Bought a pattern from a new fabric shop I visited on Satirday..it was done to look like a sunflower with blocks around it, then too stitched to it was a large leaf that when partially sewn to the block a section left open was for fork/knife/spoon..now if I had some nice green I'd try one today?

Isn't it amazing just how much we try to cram into a day?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2013

Post #9422955

Good save Barb!
Betty, I put a big pot of dry beans on to boil, I started them on high to get them started quickly and FORGOT them. The pot was HUGE and it had super thick bottom, a very expensive pan. I hear this noise, thought it was part of the movie and realized it was the fire alarm! Warped the pan, stunk up the house... oh ya. I CAN relate your lack of attention to cooking when engaged in something else!! LOL Is it any wonder Ben does the cooking at our house? And he sits in front of the pan and watches what he cooks...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9422958

Pat pictures please w/ new thread

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 18, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9423040

That sunflower sounds nice, Betty - picture? It sounds beautifully functional :-)
Betty - no, you're not the only one... Bob's always on my case about getting on the computer or sewing and leaving the stove...
Please take care... nausea isn't fun, is it?!

Barb - great that you "saved" the placemats!

Pat - join the "let's not burn down the house" club... yikers!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9423156

Beautiful work with the hand quilting...I can no longer hand quilt as my carpal tunnel did me in with that. Bummer, I thought surgery would have been the answer.

What is this with being sick Betty? Are you the one who sent it down to me? Had sinus infection for the past few days and just not feeling very social. Took time off and rested and read my Nook. Better but this cold snap has left me with more headaches. They too will pass.

Mittsy, good to see and hear from you. How is your Mom doing? Hubby?

Karen, love the picture of your house...lucky to find such a well kept place. Ours appeared to be well kept when we bought it but we have since come to learn most was just cosmetic. Slowly but surely Kim and I are getting things done...why is remodeling so slow?

Helene, my sister was just telling me this morning that the "snow bird" situation is worse this year or so it seems. The Port Charlotte area is so congested that she dreads driving over to see mom. Gas prices are running about 50 cents above what we are paying. I guess it is the old rule of supply and demand.

Waving to all the others...happy sewing.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9423183

Marion, whats the temp in your neck of the woods??? cold here, outside was 30 when I got up, 60 in the house!! I am wearing socks and shoes, in my house that is very rare!! going to move one of the little space heaters into my room, so I can do a little stitchin...

working on the butterflies charm quilt again...got to get one done before arrival of Ryleigh, along with something for her too!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9423195

Oooooh Ryleigh...I like it!
Marion we've been in the house 3 times and so far are happy with the way it was kept up and the way things were done. Hubby is very nit-picky and he was looking it over with a fine tooth comb. He was under it and on top of it and in all the corners.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9423210

so happy for you Karen !! thanks, Ryleigh Alana I sometimes call Malena, princess MAK, Now I will have a princess RAK !!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013

Post #9424022

A month or so ago I posted a link to a web site where you can search for any fabric & see who is selling it. Somehow I've lost the link. Does anyone have it?????

Thanks

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9424028

I don't have that one, but I have used fabshophop.com with great success.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9424087

fabshop is the one I know of, and there is a page on face book.. [HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9424148

http://www.thefabricfinder.com/

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9424220

Linda Kay - i do believe that is the one I NEED!!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9424245

What are you missing or looking for Jean?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9424409

Have a few fabrics I'd like more of & none of the local shops carry them.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9426387

I heard that Fons & Porter have purchased Keepsake Quilting.

I need some new carriage rails for my HQ so am stuck "piecing" for the next week or so till they get in. Then I'll be quilting up a storm again.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9426403

That wouldn't surprise me about F&P buying Keepsake. Sounds like a road trip may in order soon - just to find out. RIGHT!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9426463

I have 3-40% off and 4-50% off coupons for JoAnn's good March 3-9 glad to send them if you can use them

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 9:15 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 21, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9426471

brrrr -22 this morning..even cold in the office, thank goodness for a microheater at my feet!

After finishing a few projects last night I was able to quilt and bind 3 placemats so I've something to keep me out of mischief here at work.

Had Missouri quilts send LindaKay a package re Perriwinkle template and pattern sheets..once I receive the package from her I'll bring the project in and sew here in the office. It will be a Wedding Gift and wedding is in May sooo that should keep me busy.

Been looking around at something similar to your unit, sure wish I could find a 2nd hand one..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9426501

What kind of unit are you looking for Betty? A long arm?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 21, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9426508

yes...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9426517

There is one on Craig's List in Knoxville. I'm very tempted but not sure I would use it enough to justify.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9426527

RE keepsake quilting- looks like it sold in 2008

http://www.newtrackmedia.com/Press_KQ.html

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9426529

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/app/3629456530.html

This is the one also include a binding machine both for $1200. It's huge.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9426531

Here are a few places that used ones, but most of them have been sold when ever I look.

http://www.apqs.com/quilting-machines-used

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/machines_for_sale.htm

http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html#Ads start here

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9426533

Karen, sure wish I had the room, and was closer, that looks like a nice machine.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 21, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9426539

Have been looking at the units that are reasonable, using your own sewing machine..now that I got the large throat one for Christmas I'd like to put it to use..could be used on the tracking bed. Will keep searching...big birthday coming up, kids always do something special...could always hint right? lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9426552

Betty, you always say they are asking you for idea's, drop that idea in their laps, and see what happens!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9426564

If you are buying a quilting machine you NEED to make sure it has a stitch regulator. Otherwise it is like using your sewing machine, with the feed dogs down, and your stitch length is determined by how fast or slowly you are moving the machine.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9426572

Hey Pat, can we get a new thread please?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9426598

ANYONE can just in a start a new thread. I know you want a picture but I'm at work!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299415/

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 4:48 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America