WHAT are you working on NOW that's it's February?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

New thread! (We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295707/ )

These are some aprons I finished recently. The first is a apron for my DSIL for Christmas. Do you lovely ladies recognize the blocks from charms you have given me? the 2nd is a close up of the apron bib. The 3rd picture is a Valentine Day gift to my oldest Stepdaughter.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 4:52 AM

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, Pat has pictures! Nice job on the aprons!

Pat have you tried E6000 glue.

No, will it bond copper to ceramic? I was using a Gorilla glue that is activated with water. I think the ceramic and copper were "too slick" to get a good bite/adhere since the area I was attempting to bond was only 3/4 inch diameter. I'll buy some of the E6000. I used to have some but I doubt I can even find it, let alone if it's any good still anymore! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the photos..

Karen, how touching, bet it brought more than one tear to your eyes..

Pat, just think how much more this area will mean to you when the project is finally done. Love the apron, see I'm not the only one working on Christmas gifts.

Making a list for backing, binding, batting for all the pieces I have ready to quilt..will never mind the pretty fabric and buy the essentials..means a trip to buffalo in the next few weeks, now it will mean watching weather for travel days.

Early morning, not sure what I shall get up to, am sure there is something though. Lol

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 6:00 AM

No, that was a gift I made this year and it was too big across the chest and the neck strap too long so I took it back and reset the neck strap shorter and further in. ALTHOUGH I do have a Christmas printed apron that is sitting on my ironing board waiting for a few minutes.

"It will mean more to you" is a bit what I'm afraid of! It's never good to have a rental that is too dear to your heart. Our very first renter was with us over a year and he was WONDERFUL, he became honorary part of our extended family. His wife and child finally got here from China and our studio is too far from college for her to commute.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Working on this kit I found in my closet. Must have been thre for at least 3-4 years!!!! Imagine ME forgetting about it!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr
Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Pat does pictures, way to go

I made 4 of these just gorgeous. 3 last year and the fourth just would't come together. Gave me headaches, just call me queen of rippers.
I was shamed into making it by my Lisa - whiner - your making stuff for others never for me etc.etc wrong motivation for such a tedious project. Now its done. Well almost, still have to put a haning thing a ma jig in the back. forgot.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Barb, love that kit you found in the closet!

Helene, love that tree too! Lots of work with all those HST???

One of my old threads just got "bumped", for those that have never seen pictures of one of my former homes. NO, I didn't know how to post pictures from the camera back then either! But I had some color print out and knew how to SCAN them in and attach. I don't even know where some those pictures are filed here in this house. I know they are not on this computer. that was a couple of computers ago.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/779605/

Barb, what are the corners of that project going to look like?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Bit the bullet and drove to the other side of the city this morning. No small accomplishment. There is a terrific little quilt shop there where I found "the" fabric for the baby receiving blanket. It's a Makower pin dot cotton; vanilla with tiny, slightly darker dots. I wanted the front and back to be the same since this will be a whole cloth quilt and be seen from both sides. The fabric cost an arm and a leg. I told them they could have the leg but I needed the arm to stitch and pulled out the plastic card. Now I will mostly look at it (notice the "mostly") as an incentive to get the last quarter done on the wedding quilt which I've just started. Still need to design the piece. I'm thinking of a pomegranate motif as it is religiously symbolic and the notion of quilting six hundred and thirteen seeds is intriguing.

Looking forward to pictures!

Will do. I'm thinking white on white, or in this case vanilla on vanilla won't be that easy to photograph.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Laurel - I'm sure the quilting will be fantastic so you need to use a thread so the design can be appreciated fully!!!!

I just finished a 2nd baby quilt. What is with decorating baby rooms in grey? I don't get it. My DD used pink & grey, these babies have aqua/grey & yellow/grey, then met a young lady in JoAnn's who was just doing grey & white. And no patterns just solid colors.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

I think grey is the new 'in' color.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

yes, I think grey is the new neutral choice, better than black IMO. Maybe now I'll be able to find more selections of greys here. Mostly solids and maybe a grey print or two, usually on black. Would love to find calico or paisley type prints..

Jean, nothing could be more fantastic than this tone on tone whole cloth piece. http://pinterest.com/pin/121315783684274804/ I have never done one before. Many have trapunto work which is also used in Japanese embroidery. I do it but will def not have the time for that.

Don't know about the baby decorating. They come out with something super snazzy and a designer logo in a magazine; then everyone wants it. Maybe the primary colors we raised our kids on caused ADHD. lol Shoot, I thought burning my gift copy of Dr. Spock, along with my bra, made me a know-it-all!

Perhaps the next generation will need antidepressants at an early age. DD says she does not plan on nursery decor at all. I'm fine with that but her MIL is super peeved with them not wanting to know the sex and not being immersed in a frenzy of baby having. MIL is an avid crafter and has a long list of gender determined chachkies she wants to make.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I was in disbelief when my GS and his wife announced elephants for their baby girls room. However once I started looking around there was tons of feminine elephants for baby girls. Her room is just darling.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

love elephants (think Dumbo...)! Found the cutest stuffed elephant at a local Hallmark with a rattle inside when Bella was born, she loves it! Of course, had to get her a rabbit, and a bear and.... lol. And to think she'll inherit Gramma's collection of Boyd's bears..

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=249525944212495&Store_id=499&page_id=23&Item_ID=86513&Parent_Ids=

I have a couple questions. Do you think the background on this is to yellowy, does it make it look dingy to you? Never having done applique, Im curious what you do with the edges, this one, nothing is done. Could you somehow sew around all these pieces to make it look 'finished, or would that ruin it?

Ive seen some really cute elephant fabric.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

oh... someone sent me a link to this pattern from QC. It makes an 18" block, but I'm thinking it could be made smaller. Made with strips, similar to LCs

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CoarsewovenBlock.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Way too many "Y" seams the way they are making it.

I made a super cute elephant quilt for a co-worker's new niece a few years ago. It had yellows & pinks in it. Must have a photo somewhere..

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Pat, I really like your aprons.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Kathy love the block but I have not tried "Y" seams. Might have to do that in the future.

GG, that's a beautiful quilt. I've never done anything that intricate that is not needle turn applique. No, the fabric does not look dingy. Looks like a huge project.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Pam, that quilt is gorgeous!! if you are wanting to try applique for the first time??? you need to find a few very simple designs...for instance a snowman. simple circles , basic shapes...square hat....

there are many types of applique, one uses iron on fusible stuff, and you stitch around raw edges. there is needle turn, where you fold in the edge of your design, as you are stitching it onto your background. there is a method in which you use interfacing. if you look on u tube you can find example of them all.

then there is the question of sewing by hand or machine, needle turn is by hand, the others are machine or hand stitching..

cute aprons Doc!!!

and Barb. I love that quilt !!

I love the look of greys and yellow, with some black and white thrown into the mix....

grey and solids in general are becoming more and more popular.........goes with the new "modern quilting" craze / fad although I hate to use those terms, not sure how else to describe it.

I would like to get brave enough to tackle a whole cloth quilt someday :)

Thumbnail by barefootT Thumbnail by barefootT Thumbnail by barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

this is Santa face I did applique. fused onto background, which is a Dresden plate. stitched around raw edges with machine blanket stitch.

I am finding I like quite a few of these "modern" quilts I am seeing. many done in just solids.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 12:15 PM

Thumbnail by barefootT
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Besides loving it, the only reason that I would attempt thinking about that quilt is, the pieces are all already cut out and the steam a seam is on the back already. To me, the work would really be in doing something with the edges. I know they didnt, but in my mind, I would want to.

I did a class once with a block with Y seams. No fun to be had there. I think actaully, thats what got me to start paper piecing. I loved that it turned out perfect every time.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Quilt top is done! Now it is on to some more totes....5 more to do for February....

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Ref that applique.................I think it would be almost impossible to do that applique by machine & have it come out looking like that sort of applique should look. Pieces that small & detailed need to be done carefully by hand.

I'm with Thunder - try applique with some large pieces & see if you like it before trying something complicated.

Beautiful, Barb. It's going to really look nice when you get it quilted.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the quilt Barb, nice feeling putting together something you forgot about and finishing it..

Am enjoying doing cut out for over 100 pieces to appliqué the eagle..no stress project!

Need to find outer border fabric so I can really get to the applique

Victoria Harbour, ON

Went back for a peak Barb..gorgeous piece.

While at the fabric shop today I saw a piece that will be taught shortly, lovely poinsettia's with beading in the centers..I'll have to soon decide if I'm going to fly to Florida for a weekend or not, if not then I'll take the course.

Need fabric for 5" border..had the fall trees that I did the 2" border but it's too overwhelming..cannot completely iron on the piece I of fabric I traced for easier placement of the pieces..doing it a bit differently..what I shall do when the next border is on is cut from the back the additional fabric under the pattern eagle..minimize the thickness...

hoping by weekend I can have it finished and quilted..here's hoping..

back cutting wings/feathers lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

I love Edita Sidar's work "Laundry basket quilts' but that applique quilt is daunting. But than if you don't try you won't suceed. it is beautiful.

Betty I think we should call you "whirwind".

other wise no wisdom here. nothing new in the making.

WOW that is awesome Betty, can't wait to see it finished.

Pam, if the pictured quilt, Spring Bouquet is the one you are thinking for a first project, it's beautiful but a LOT to take on for first applique!

Barb, love the quilt, binding in red? or will there be another border? REALLY pretty, good job!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Could not help thinking about Thunder. This pintrest stuff is just really wasting alot of my time.....love it!!!!!! ;-0

http://pinterest.com/kdrg/holiday-day-of-the-dead/

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

That is some under taking with the applique. I do it but it really isn't my favorite activity.

Pam, please don't get me onto Pinterest!!! LOL, I can waste the entire week just looking at some of the crafts there......and dreaming!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, the thing about pintrest is, one thing leads to another and another and so on. You click on something you like, and then it takes you to more and more, and then there is stuff you never knew about, and you love it too. It like the skeletons...I dont know how I got to them, but boy did I think they were pretty/neat/ interesting...etc.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I dont know how to post over on the 'cube'. I forgot about it once Dave started ATP. Im desperate to be 'in on' the black and white D9P. Would one of you all sign me up, or just know that Im going to send some as well.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Just look for Taters55...Linda Cartwright..in this forum, she's in both and is accepting the D9P squares. http://cubits.org/craftycubit/thread/view/73002/
This is the thread link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.