Photo by Melody

Beginner Houseplants: What is up with this aloe?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 5, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planthead42
Rothschild, WI

February 2, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9406502

I saved this aloe from a friend of mine and I have no idea what's happening or what it is? Is it an aloe tree of some kind or just an aloe that has a massively long root? There is currently a new spike growing so I know its healthy. I also know it is very old and that it has never had a significant source of light. Any help is appreciated guys!

Thumbnail by planthead42
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dggardenerguy
Staten Island, NY

February 3, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9406933

looks to me like it is an aloe that just has grown a long stem - possibly the reselt of not enough light - looks kinda interesting
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9407370

Looks like Aloe vera on a stem. You can try to sprout a new plant if you want by starting with a cut leaf. I am sure there are directions somewhere. Probably: cut off the leaf, let the cut place heal in a mild area (not too hot) overnight, then plant it in some really good draining soil.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9409048

Maybe this will help
http://www.blogsmonroe.com/gardening/2008/10/aloe-vera-re-potting/
Growfoo
Tempe, AZ

February 6, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9410161

No need to worry planthead! That big long stem is what the Aloe leaves grow on. At some point that long steam had Aloe Vera leaves on it and they have since died and fell off. This is typical for aloe vera plants and just apart of their natural cycle. What you are going to have to do is cut that steam a few inches below where the alive leaves are. Than you are going to peal back the onion like skin until you feel littlle bumps, those are the soon to be roots. Just go ahead and replant that part into your pot of soil and water like normal. Your plant should continue to grow and look more like your typical Aloe Vera plant!

Hope this helps!
trifle03101
Manchester, NH

February 7, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9411273

It's awesome. I would keep your aloe "tree" as is and get another one if you want something more normal. Now I'm wondering how I can make one of my aloe's into a tree!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America