Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Houseplants: My hybrid spider plant

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
infogarden
Scituate, MA

February 3, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9407128

My spider plant has been flowering. One of the stocks has gotten very long, Can I cut it to make a new plant? If so, do I need to put it in water to root?

Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden   Thumbnail by infogarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Hymie56
mapleton
Australia

April 14, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9484121

This is a normal habit of these plants and it is wanting to inhabit other areas so it throws these tentacles off to seek out greener pastures . I notice it's in a wet area so it's looking for water as well. Very nice specimen. http://www.gardenenchantment.com

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9484677

Wait until the baby plantlets start to grow nubs on the part attached to the stem. Those will be the roots of your new plants. Put them in moist, not wet, potting soil and have fun!
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

April 17, 2013
11:33 PM

Post #9488102

[quote]This is a normal habit of these plants and it is wanting to inhabit other areas so it throws these tentacles off to seek out greener pastures . I notice it's in a wet area so it's looking for water as well.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.. to do love to inhibit other areas.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9488380

After the flowers are finished, baby plants will grow on that stolon. When you can see little aerial root nubs on them, mentioned above, they can be separated from the mama plant. Where the flowers are, seeds may also form. (included image)

The image linked below shows the aerial roots on a baby ready to be separated from the mama. They don't have to be this long, but they should be very distinct before you attempt separation.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/004mxx.jpg/

Thumbnail by purpleinopp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America