Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: edible bellflower root

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mking80
Beverly Hills, FL

February 3, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9407183

i just heard of a korean food reciepe calling for bellflower root.would like to grow some .can you help ? m
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9408763

Often the common name in a recipe, or a translation is worse than useless; the translation leads you to a non-edible plant.

From a Korean cooking site:

The root of this species (radix platycodi) is used extensively in as an anti-inflammatory in the treatment of coughs and colds. In Korea the plant is known as DoRaJi (도라지) and its root, either dried or fresh, is a popular ingredient in salads and traditional cuisine.

See, what most gardeners call 'Bellflower' is often a Campanula.
But the plant used in these recipes is not a Campanula, but is Platycodon grandiflorus, more commonly known around here as Balloon Flower. (Wikipedia)

Easy to grow, by the way, for flowers. I have no idea if the roots would grow into a nice harvest.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America