Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Fruit: tons of blooms on Meyer Lemon, but....

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9407396

should I pinch them off? I have had the young tree less than a year and I am already letting 2 lemons grow. Now there are at least 20 blooms!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
12:26 AM

Post #9420589

Most will not develop into fruit, but if any do, continue as you are: Just allow it one or two token fruit until it is a bit better established.

Is this in a container or the ground? What size is it?
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9422042

it's potted. right now it's a little under 2 feet. I'm also thinking about staking it, as the trunk is growing a little crooked. Thanks for the advice :)
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9429189

Lemons are not really shapely plants. They grow as irregular, awkward shrubs unless you stake and train them. Even then I do not think they would win any awards for 'Best Shaped Plant'.
Mine might win for 'Weirdest shaped shrub'- it is almost like it has been shaped and trained like they do for Bonsai, though it is in the ground.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9509280

Diana, it's so funny you say that about the shapes of lemon plants!! I am coming off my first winter with a few different lemons and limes (I have to say coming off still because winter here is still trying to hold on, although I think this week we will finally turn the corner!).

Anyway, I very much love the topiary look on trees, and it is just not what is happening with my bunch. Especially with my dwarf variegated pink lemon, he is gangly, gangly, gangly. It is driving me insane!! He really didn't like coming indoors and dropped most of his leaves on the lower branches. He did manage to continue thriving on 2 branches, which have become extremely long/tall, about as tall as the rest of the tree. It is driving me insane!! I want him to be more "full" and "round," and I am seriously thinking about pruning the tops of these 2 branches back down to the rest of the tree. I just don't want to mess him up too bad. What do you think? Thanks!!

Thumbnail by jaimelemon   Thumbnail by jaimelemon         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America