Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: What is this infestation?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 8, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9407421

This is a huge Cereus hildemanianus sub. uruguayanus with several of these spots on it. One of the photos show dried holes thru the plant. There are small sections like this active spot that have been carved out and left to dry and they are doing fine. Should I cut these infestations out? And maybe smother the sut area with sulfer powder? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Illig1
Redwood City, CA

February 3, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9407558

I suspect it might be scale. If so, I would use a systemic on it. I am totally orgainic except for scale on cacti. When I water a plant with a systemic, I get fresh dirt to cover where I watered so other creatures don't touch the wet soil. One treatment seems to do the trick.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9408634

I am really not sure what you mean by systemic. It doesn't sound like one of the 3-way sprays for Insects, Fungus and Mites. Thanks, Xuling

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 5:37 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9411591

Yes, I am curious what systemic you will recommend for scale also? Always looking for a solution.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 7, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9411600

Imidacloprid, the Bayer product or any other. I recommend scrubbing the plant clean with soapy water first (use a toothbrush) and then one dose of the systemic should keep them gone.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9411615

All right, thanks. That is good to know, I already use that on the soil when moving plants in for fall.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9411716

Where do you get such stuff Baja? I have never heard if it, but then I am still a virgin also. I have cull it all out and sprinkled the surgical sites with sulpher. Don't know if that is right or wrong or indifferent. Xuling

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9412593

There are several sources for imidacloprid. You can see a few of them if you google into the different brands.

The product in the photo is a lower strength version of another Bayer product, which should work fine too. Typically I put 0.5 oz into a liter of water. That's probably on the low side but I'd rather it be that way. Then I drench the roots with that. You have to be careful to shake really well right before pouring it out because it tends to settle to the bottom otherwise. And don't treat plants with a systemic when the soil is bone dry. Better that it be slightly moist so the roots are active and able to absorb the active ingredient. For a plant in the ground, maybe 36 hours after a good watering. I'm sure other people have different ways to do this, I'm just relating what has worked in my experience.

I'm not sure if scale is your problem, Xuling. This is just in reply to the question about how to handle a scale problem. You sure that's not just frost damage? Scale does not eat away at the innards, it stays strictly on the skin.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click the image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9412647

What ate the holes in the arms is probably different that the photos I posted. Anyway as I said they are cut out and the cut sprinkled with sulpher. I do not believe that the areas are a product of the cold. That plant can take it quite cold. X

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America