Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Roses from seed never flower?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I have grown roses from seed for about 3 years, basically they are chance seedlings I find scattered around the yard from my various rose plants. I have had some for 3 years, and most are only 12 inches or less and none have ever flowered! I have at least 10 seedlings, all have been doing horrible. The strangest part is I left 2 to grow wild, and they are a little bigger than my potted seedlings, and even the wild ones never got flowers.

I have mine in a large pot with miracle grow potting soil and extra perlite for drainage. Under a tree they do better but grow terribly slow, in more sun the leaves seem to bake and almost no growth, no matter what I do they are hardly growing and I am flowerless. They are a single stem growing straight up. They usually sprout around March-April, and growth continues to about early November, so plenty of time to get big and get first flowers, but 3 years, something is wrong!

Richmond, TX

What are the likely parents? Some roses take a long time to decide to bloom. I am impressed that you got seedlings at all!

Wild dog rose and a variety of tea rose. My rose plants are nearly 10 years old so I would hope they produce seeds :)

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 2:31 AM

I think I might have figured out what's going on. My roses might be succumbing to powdery mildew. I have an old Lilac that's huge and it gets this, so it might be giving it to my roses.

Richmond, TX

We never have powdery mildew here so I don't know how it affects growing roselettes. Can it have a stunting action?

Yes leaves can be stunted/deformed and perhaps stress is causing little growth explaining such tiny plants and no flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.