Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Cordylines or perhaps something else?

South West Rocks, Australia(Zone 10b)

Hi everyone,

I was hoping you can help identify these two plants in part of the back garden. Mum says they are Cordylines (doesn't know what type), but they don't really look like any of the pictures of cordylines that I have come across. I'm starting to think they resemble something closer to a Yucca, rather than a cordyline? Any help would be appreciated, thankyou.

Thumbnail by Ez90 Thumbnail by Ez90 Thumbnail by Ez90 Thumbnail by Ez90 Thumbnail by Ez90
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I think the first three are Dracaenas, though I cannot see the first photo all that well... 2-3 Dracaena marinates, and 4-5 looks like variegated Yucca gloriosa.. no Cordylines seen in any shots.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Dracaena marginata and Yucca guatemalensis 'Silver Star'.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Yucca guatamalensis Silver Star normally has a somewhat thicker trunk, longer leaves and less stiff ones. I will stick with Yucca gloriosa.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sad to see such massive mistaken identification.. oh well. Not going to argue, but to say all are incorrect (not really that uncommon a situation).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Well, then what are they that I linked?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Yucca gloriosa. Below are some shots of variegated Yucca guatamalensis (no idea what cultivar name or even if there is one) but you can see what a real Yucca guatamalensis (aka elephantipes) looks like... massive plants with leaves about 3' long. There are several very popular plants sold at thousands of nurseries around the country ALL misidentified... this is just one of those. For more commonly misidentified plants, look up Kalanchoe thyrsiflora (actually K luciae) and Auracaria heterophylla (actually A columnaris). Just because the majority of these plants are labeled incorrectly does not make their true identities any different.

Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob
Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I guess what is stopping me from looking at it as Y. gloriosa is the width of the leaves shown below and in the plant in my yard. Maybe different climate, different leaf width. I know Yucca guatamalensis wouldn't survive the winter here. Anyone else mind to take a look at this and pipe in?

Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata'

Thumbnail by growin
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

There are quite a variety of cultivars of Yucca gloriosa, some having wide leaves and some relatively narrow, some being taller and others hardly forming a stem. Since this plant is obviously a cultivar, it is possibly a hybrid Yucca of gloriosa (and something else- maybe even guatemalensis).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.