Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Assistance require - Possible Orchid identification

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tarynr
durban
South Africa

February 4, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9407711

Hi All,

I was given a plant by someone over the weekend and I think it may be an Orchid but I'm not sure whether it is or what type it is - please can someone assist?
As you can see by the photos, it's potted in soil and it has been standing outside over a long period of time. I presently have 2 Phal and a dendrobium Orchid, they are potted in moss / wood chips and they remain indoors, so if this new plant is in fact an Orchid, I have absolutely no idea on how to care for it. Your assistance would be grately appreciated!

Regards Taryn

Thumbnail by tarynr   Thumbnail by tarynr   Thumbnail by tarynr   Thumbnail by tarynr
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9407851

Hi Taryn. From your pictures...Yes you have an orchid. It is kinda hard to tell exactly which one without blooms, but it looks a great deal like an Oncidium/Oncidium alliance plant. It is also difficult to find clear pics of the actual plants as most focus on the blooms. Here is some info for you. This is generally the time of year when Oncidiums like Sharry Baby start to form spikes and are usually in full bloom by late April/early May.

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/3188-the-oncidium-alliance-orchid

http://www.imagine123.com/orchidtips/care/oncidium.html
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 4, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9407970

You have two different orchids in that pot. The one with the long narrow leaves is a Cymbidium, but I have no idea what the other one is.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9408024

If you look at the second photo, you will see a pair of wide leaves, with the longer thinner leaves at the center.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 4, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9408664

Yes, and the third photo also, but they are still two different orchids, In my opinion. The pseudobulbs are as different as the leaves. As it happens, I have 6 Cyms on my porch, and orchid leaves aren't as variable in the early stages as many plants are.The ones that travel via rhizomes can easily mingle with others.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9409199

Agreed,. And since it is planted in soil, I agree it is likely a Cymbidium...as for the other growth, I am not sure. I grow orchids fairly well, I am just not that good at looking at leaves and offering ID's.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9409490

I love how the dog has to stick her/his nose in the pictures. Cute

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9409499

And how the camera caught jut the tip of the other one's nose...grin
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 5, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9409551

The shape of the pseudobulb should be a clue to an expert, but that's not me. With 20,000 species out there, it's pretty hard to get even the species without a flower to look at.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 5, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9409586

I googled "orchid species with square pseudo bulb" and got Bulbophyllum, so that may be it. The rest of the description seem to fit some of the Bulbos.Of course there are 3,000 species to look through.
tarynr
durban
South Africa

February 5, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9409841

Haha!!! Yes, my two doggies are just as interested in my new plant as I am! I have to keep them away from it!! Thank you so much all for the pointers! My sister also went to an orchid expert in JHB and he said that the one with the longer leaves is a Cymbidium but he does not know what the other is and he'll only be able to tell when it's in bloom. My thinking is that they've lived together for a few years now so I will treat both plants as I should the Cymbidium and they should be fine. Yay, I'm so excited!! I've just become an Orchid collector, they're absolutely magnificent and here I'm given two for free, YAY!! I'll keep you all posted when they bloom.

Thanks again!
Regards Taryn

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9410005

Good Luck Taryn...please do post when they bloom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America