Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: February-reminds us of LOVE!! :)

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 106, Views: 675
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9407963

It's time for a new thread!!! WE CAME FROM HERE:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292566/

I'll start this one out with a photo of my favorite daffodil since this is the time when the daffodils start to bloom--even up here in the southern Misouri Ozrk Mountains. This one is called "Gentle Giant". I wish I had brought one of the bulbs with me from Cabot. I gave one to Bonnie at one of our RU's. I wonder if hers made it and if she has a bulb to spare? Maybe she will come over to this thread or I can always ask her on FB.

Join us here with your photos and chat. Valentine's Day is not far away. Do any of you plan to celebrate in a special way? Al is taking me to one of my favorite restaurants in the area. We are going to go to the Rockbridge Trout Resort which is about 40 miles form our house but they have a wonderful restaurant there and the scenic drive over there is just beautiful. :)

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9407985

Karen be sure and check the end of the Jan thread for information on our MG program.
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 4, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9408059

Just marking the thread. Have seen a few daffodils blooming in the area - but none of mine are up yet. Spent a big part of Saturday afternoon working in my foundation bed and made quite a bit of progress, but still not finished. Leigh helped me and we were both really sore yesterday from all that squatting that we aren't used to! :)

He got up at 5 this morning headed to his first day on his new job in LR. He made good time and got there safely...haven't heard how anything else is going.

Marilyn, thanks for starting our new thread. That Rockbridge Trout Resort sounds like a nice place to spend Valentine's.

Can't believe how quickly January flew by!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9408208

Marilyn the trout restaurant sounds great. I used to go to Tale of the Trout in Rogers any time I was in NW AR.
Actually Valentine's Day is the one day we always eat dinner at home. RIchard used to take me out to eat at a very nice restaurant every Valentine's Day. But it seems everyone in Little Rock goes out to eat on Valentine's Day and they do a lot of special menus. After a couple of really bad very expensive meals, I said let's don't go out on Valentine Day any more! We eat out at least 5 nights a week, sometimes 7. So it's actually gotten to be kind of a treat to eat at home!!! LOL

I do send all my grandkids some Godiva chocolate for Valentine's Day. Better get that bought soon!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9408270

Just noticed this post from Jeri. She just posted it on the Jan thread. I'm sure she didn't notice a new thread had been started.

"Mary just got back from the surgeon and she feels like the cancer has returned and could still be ovarian cancer even though Mary has had a complete hysterectomy. They did new blood work called Ca-19 and Mary goes for another PET scan and CT scan Thur. Then we go from there. Prayers please that she is OK!!!

Jeri praying for a good outcome on Thur!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 4, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9408355

OH NO! Prayers here being lifted up for Mary! Please keep us posted.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9408543

Charlotte, thanks for posting that message from Jeri about Mary. Prayers going up!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 4, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9408554

Maybe the test will show otherwise, we will be praying !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9408923

That is what I'm praying for Sandra and I have tried to talk her into not getting too upset until we find out for sure. I know that is easier said than done but Mary will make it way worst by the time we find out anything for sure.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

February 5, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9408960

Jeri, we'll all be praying for Mary, and you!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9408967

I ran into Christine when I went to Hobby Lobby last night. She looked good. Said she has been too busy to post but will try to get on soon. She only has internet at work.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

February 5, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9408980

Thanks again everybody for your well wishes on the new grand. Double the joy I say! Won't find out for another 10 weeks if it's a boy or girl.

I talked to Hunter (he'll be 2 in April) on the phone Friday night. He doesn't really talk though. He says "Say Say" (his name for me) and then a bunch of garble and laughs (must be an inside joke). But when I told him I loved him, plain as day he said "I love you" back. He can talk!!!!!!

After a few minutes I told him I needed to hang up and told him bye. He told me bye-bye and disconnected before I knew what was happening. I think he may be far more technologically advanced than I am.

Trish, sounds like you are ready to burst into bloom any day now. I have jonquils blooming and some virburnum buds and that's it!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9410659

Thanks for the info girls I was just wondering how much time and money the MG program involved. Guess I'll just shoot them an email to find out for sure.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9412045

Sorry to hear the news on Mary . Will be praying for her. Congratulations to Marilyn and Al...I am so happy for you !!!!

I have 4 grandkids now ...my daughter Cyndie has 3 of her own plus a stepson...her youngest is a 10 month old girl that just recently started walking ,named Lily Belle. Just found out Cyndie is pregnant again , so we have a fifth grandchild on the way and we are so praying for a boy this go around, after 3 girls

Thumbnail by savagegardener

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 8, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9412362

What a beautiful family! She is going to have her hands full ! :) Good to have you back Sharon...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 8, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9412368

Yes, I know you are enjoying them Sharon !
Genna, how was the work week for Leigh?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9412423

Great looking family Sharon! Good to see you posting.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9412499

Hey Sharon. Thanks for thinking of Mary!!! So glad that you found your way back to us!!! Oh my goodness, Cyndie has a wonderful family going there. I agree that you need a boy this time. How is your gardening going? And how is Max?

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9413886

Sorry to hear about Mary ,jeri! I hope her tests come back negative for cancer. What ever happened w Jim? How's he doing ? been along time since I've been here! Hope everybody's doing well.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9413920

We go Wed. for the patches on the blockages on Jim's legs. He had all the skin cancers removed and is healing from that. I ought to take a picture of him right now b/c it looks like I hit him in the eye. He has a perfect black eye with bandages going down the entire right side of his face. The black eye is from the shots we think. The Dr. really shot him up good so it wouldn't hurt. We hear from all of Mary's test on 2/18/13.

How is it going with your new puppy, KA!!! He is a beauty!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 10, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9414628

Hey all -
Trying to catch up on the posts. Leigh survived his first week in LR - but came home Monday night and probably totaled his VW beetle because he hit a deer in Bearden - thankfully, he was only about 20 miles from home because I had to call a tow truck, and drive up there to move all the stuff out of his car into my suburban. Then he took my vehicle back to LR. So, I drove our old raggedy work truck the rest of the week. Today he left for Houston to go to Pole School. Please keep him in your prayers... it is supposed to be a tough school to pass - and it is a pass/fail every day to continue. I am nervous about him going thru it - but praying it will go well for him. We thought it would be a few more weeks before he went - but he starts tomorrow. He should be at his hotel any minute - but I haven't heard from him yet. Last time I heard from him he was still about 20 miles outside of Houston. Thankfully, Kyle brought his car home for him to borrow to take to Houston so I get my vehicle back for the week at least! :) Hopefully will find out something definitive about his car on Monday. He also found out that his new boss is making a LOT of changes in their dept and one is the work schedule. It looks like he might be working a 3:00 - 11:30 p.m shift with some weekend coverage. I sure hope he gets that shift and not the 2 am -- 10:30 am i would REALLY hate that one!! They are supposed to decide who is working what shift this week while Leigh is gone, so I hope he doesn't end up with that one! if he makes it thru this school, he will go back to LR and work a week at the new time - whatever that is - and then will go somewhere else for a safety school. We don't even know where that will be held at. Guess we gotta get thru this week first!

I must say I haven't had much sleep while I have been here alone. Guess it will take some getting used to! But, I haven't had any problems - thank goodness. Just not used to being home alone!

I have a friend who lost her daughter and SIL in a crash on Thursday afternoon. Her and her family are in desperate need of your prayers. They are totally devastated. The girl was only 25 - and her two younger sisters were about to collapse - they could really use all the prayers they can get as they adjust to this life without her there.

Jeri - you should take that picture!! Did you ever find out what a "patch" is? Is it like a bypass or what? never heard of that procedure before. Hope that it all goes well. Praying for Mary to get good news as well!! Also sending prayers and hugs your way because I know your plate is full !!

KA - is Nola spoiled already? :) I am sure she is well on her way!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9414780

Genna sounds like you all had a rough week!! Hope things get better. South AR roads always scare me to drive from dusk dark on. Always seem to be deer!! You and Leigh were probably having a hard time adjusting to not having any kids around and now it's down to just you!! This is the time to tackle all those projects you've never had time for before. Clean out the house, etc! I lived by myself for about 6 years and actually enjoyed it.

Yes Sarah, Hunter will pass you by technologically!!!! Amazing what toddlers can do with computers!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9414884

(((Genna))) Sounds like a nightmare to me. Pinch yourself, so you wake up. I'm so sorry that you and Leigh are having to go thru all this. Yall are in my prayers as well as your friend and her family.

You are gonna laugh at this one. We went to church this morning and in the sermon, the preacher said if you want a black eye, tell your wife she is a big fat pig. So when we went to shake hands on the way out, I was 1st and then Jim and I told the preacher that I bet he didn't call me that again. LOL!!!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9415112

Jeri, LOL, that's funny that the preacher said that Sunday of all days when Jim had the black eye!

Genna, it does sounds like y'all had a rough week. Glad the deer didn't win and Leigh is ok. Hope you will adjust to being by yourself, but it can be scary. Do like Charlotte says and keep busy doing those little jobs you haven't had time to do before, even if you only spend 30 minutes or an hour at a time, it's amazing how quickly those drawers and closets will be cleaned out before spring and summer. Maybe your church has a yoga or exercise class you can go to on the way home that is free or doesn't cost much. It will make you feel better and relax after work and is good for you too. Do something now and then for yourself!

Well, I go to the orthopedic doc tomorrow afternoon about my knee. I saw one in Park City and he recommended I get an MRI when I got home and see a sports orthopedic doc. He said I tore my ACL. I pretty much knew I did when I fell since I tore the right knee ACL 22 years ago. I guess between me and Lindsay Vonn, we have 2 good legs between us, lol. I'm probably looking at ACL reconstruction again so I know what I'll be dealing with. I've been walking without crutches, as recommended, and using the stationary bike and doing some mild exercises to keep it mobile as possible and use the muscles. Will keep you posted. The sooner the better so I can start the healing and rehab.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9415158

Prayers going up for all the victims of last nights storms.

I didn't realize your knee was that bad. Doesn't it take a while for the ACL to heal even with surgery?

It was funny, Elaine!!! We are in a series call "The Vow" and Bro. Jay was giving examples of what to do and WHAT NOT TO DO to keep relationships alive and well.

That will probably be a first Genna if you actually do something for yourself for a change.

Stay safe my friends. Our weather is suppose to be bad for a couple more days.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9415171

Elaine sorry about your knees but sounds like you know how to handle it.

Genna this is also a good time to reconnect with old girlfriends. It's easy to lose touch when you are busy working and raising kids. Make some calls to old friends in the evening. Have a girls night and invite a couple of ladies over. Like Elaine said do some things for yourself. A guy in my small group at church sung a song he had written a few weeks ago. It was about the peaks and valleys of life. We all go through them. Your in a valley right now but a peak is ahead of you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9415173

Jeri we did across post forgot to say that was really funny about the preacher.
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 11, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9415693

Jeri, I would have been laughing out loud in church probably. Of course, with our preacher, he would have probably pointed to Leigh and said this is exactly what I am talking about!

Thanks everyone. I had a long list of stuff I planned to do last week - but Tuesday was a total bust because of some issues I had with Leigh's old truck. Had to go to my BIL's house for help and ended up not even getting home until after 8:30! Then I hadn't left any lights on, etc because I wasn't planning on coming in after dark... and on and on. I didn't accomplish much the rest of the week. But, yesterday after everyone left I did get a few things done. Nothing radical - but it was things that never seem to get done, and I hope to make further progress tonight. I agree, if I can just do 30 minuted to an hr - after several weeks I should be able to tell a difference! :)

Elaine, sorry to hear you tore your ACL. Hope they are able to get it repaired quickly so that you can get on the mend! I know you want to be good to go when the nice spring weather arrives! Hope you enjoyed your trip - even with the bum knee.

Thought I would hear something today about Leigh's car - but still no definitive word on whether it is totaled or if they are going to repair it. :( Maybe tomorrow...

Hope everyone has a great rest of the day!
Genna

Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

February 11, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9415936

So sorry about your knee Elaine. My son hurt his playing soccer & had orthoscopic surgery. I think he was back playing soccer in 2-3 weeks but here' s hoping you don't have to have surgery!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9415965

I don't know how I manage to get so far behind!
Elaine, so sorry about your knee! Hope everything works out in a satisfactory way for you.

Jeri: tell Jim we are thinking about him, too. That's a likely story about the black eye!! Did your preacher believe you?
ROFL

Genna: things have got to get better for you and Leigh soon! Hugs to both of you!! Psalm 4:8 is a good verse to pray over yourself at night when you go to bed. When I was living alone, I prayed that verse over myself every night and I was able to fall asleep with no problem. I also had one of my lamps in my living room plugged into a timer that I set to come on at a certain time in the evening and to turn itself off later on. You might want to invest in a timer, too. They aren't that expensive and should you come home later than you expect, there will always be a light on so you won't have to go into a dark house.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9417253

This picture of Jim was taken at dinner tonight. We are calling it "Rappin Grandpa". It was so cold that Jimmy went to his car and lent his dad his jacket. The kids all thought it was funny and took pictures so Chris added his hat sideways to complete the look. Black eye from Jim's skin cancer surgery last Thur.

Please remember Jim in prayer. His leg surgery is in the AM.

Thumbnail by jeri11

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9417303

Boy he does have a shiner!! Praying that all goes well tomorrow!

I went to an auction tonight and all the employees were decked out for mardi gras!! One ringer had a purple hat with all kind of stuff on it. So many beads you couldn't tell what his shirt looked like and he even had a big wide bracelet. You would have loved it Jeri!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
10:52 PM

Post #9417351

Sorry. I never got back here. Praying for Jim tomorrow. I miss alot by not getting over here much. I feel bad about that. I'm burning out at work. Need some time off !! Taking off on valentines day to spend the day in little rock w my daughter. but working alot , need for it to slow down so the boss will schedule me getting off early in the day. But that won't happen Til I get all the club jersies done for Harding students.

Nola is so sweet. Not so sweet tonight , she peed on my couch!!!! Ugg. She will quickly become Danny's dog if I'm not careful lol. He spends more time w her than I do. Darren puppy sits alot during the day when he's not sleeping.
She's a really good dog though. Trying to get all the puppy lovin I can from her. She'll grow up fast!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9417498

Prayers for Jim today, Jeri. I didn't get to this thread last night. Hope all goes well. Did they tell him to wear compression socks after his surgery? I went to the doc yesterday and he told me to do that after my surgery.

Kathy-Ann, your Nola looks so sweet and is a beautiful dog, but puppies!! Well, our neighbor is keeping a 6-7 month old yellow lab for their son's family until he grows up a bit. He and our Sarge have become good friends, but Mason is visiting our house a little too much, unsupervised. I found a big hole in my new landscaping today and a couple of new shrubs have branches broken off where he plowed through them. I hate to say anything but may have to. The hold must be at least 8" deep next to a new azalea and there is dirt and mulch all over the driveway. And it's been raining so of course it's mud really. He was in the yard a couple of weeks ago when I got home and came up to love on me, and I had to take a pair of pants to the cleaners that I had just gotten out! Had dog hair and slobber all over them.

Oh yes, I'm having my knee surgery next Wednesday, Feb 20th. He said I'd be able to drive after a couple of days and only on crutches for a few days. I dread that more than anything, but at least I'll be home and there isn't much to do. He gave me a form to get a temp diabled parking placard so I can really feel old now, lol! Then I'll have rehab for about 3-4 weeks, 3 times/week. I've done this before, so I pretty much know what to expect. He did tell me to wear compression socks for several days after the surgery and whenever I travel by air, especially long distances. He said he wears them when he does surgery. Who knew? It's supposed to help prevent blood clots. I know a lot of docs recommend them for post-surgery, so listen-up girls!! Probably not a bad idea even for long car trips. Don't want to take any chances.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9417518

Nola does look so cute!!! The puppy stage is what I hate going through with a new dog. Samantha chewed on every chair rung on my chairs in the breakfast area. Nine years later I still haven't fixed them!!! Maybe I'll do that this summer! Charlie ripped up the carpet (only weighed about 3 lbs at the time!) around the door in two doorways upstairs. Thank goodness I had a piece of left over carpet and a carpet guy repair it. But they are so cute you can't stay mad long!!

Sounds like you've ready to get your surgery over with Elaine. Doesn't sound like you will have too long a recovery time. Back in the day when we wore panty hose I used to have some support hose I would wear when I was going to be on my feet a long time. Guess they were sort of like compression socks. I haven't had a pair of panty hose on in a number of years now! But the compression socks are probably a good idea for certain times.

Jeri let us know how Jim's surgery goes today!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 13, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9417535

Elaine, take care after that surgery, you really need your knees !!! I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus, before Cayla was even born, it was so bad they had to open it up and it was HORRIBLE ! I am glad they can do more things now without opening the knee.
Kathy Ann, Eli is chewing things too--he keeps something in his mouth and I really have to watch him now. He can roll all over the floor and is trying to crawl, he got one of his top teeth through and working on the next one.
Let us know about rapping gramps when you can Jeri

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 11:12 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9417566

Errr, Sandra---I think that is supposed to be "rapping" gramps! LOL

Jeri: prayers for Jim today and for you, too! Keep us posted, please.

Elaine: prayers for you as well for the up-coming knee surgery.

Hugs to all!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 13, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9417710

I edited Marilyn, thanks for keeping me straight--I know it is a hard job, but someone has to do it!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9418709

Sandra: Yep--keeping you straight is one of my hardest jobs!! :D ROFL

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 14, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9418732

Jeri, I just saw on FB where his surgery went well ! I am glad! I wasn't on either place yesterday. I was up late Tuesday night fixing some Valentine goodies for the kids - tried out two new recipes, and attempted decorated cookies again! They did NOT turn out like I had planned and ate up a TREMENDOUS amount of time. I put Alex and Natalie's box in the mail yesterday and then I took Kyle and Jessica's goodies to them last night and we went out to eat. Ended up my SIL joined us last night for supper and we had a good visit.

Leigh has been dealing with pole school all week - it has been extremely rough on him! Of course, most of the people are in their 20s or 30s. He has been working out his shoulders every morning since he started rehab after he had shoulder surgery. Not a lot of weight, but consistent workouts with the elastic bands and slowly adding some weight. Thank goodness he has been doing that because he said this has really put his shoulders and arms thru a workout! He said he would never have made it had he not been doing that consistently. He had raw places rubbed on his legs from the way the spikes strap on - one guy warned him about that before he went, and suggested that IF he had that problem that he go buy some skin guards and turn them sideways. Since Leigh has such huge calfs - skinn guards probably would not have worked so he bought some knee pads and turned them to the outside of his leg where the rubbing was occuring. He said it worked wonders! His knees have taken a beating in this too - but so far are holding up. He passed the 6' test and step pole test on Tuesday, the 12' on Wednesday, and he just texted me that he passed the 18' this morning first thing! YAY! Now, he has the EOT (don't know what that stands for) but he has to go back up the pole to approximately 16' and put this large bolt/screw type thing in place. Not sure if it is hammered in place or screwed in place. I think it is actually driven in place. But, once it is 'in place' appropriately, then they have to unscrew it to take it out of the pole. This is an exercise to show they can "perform a work task" while on the pole - which of course, is supposed to be the point of the course! He will attempt it this morning also - although I suggested he try to rest a while since he just did the 18' climb. But, if he passes it - he is finished !! :) still has paperwork type stuff to do - and they still have to be at class this afternoon for some things and in the morning, but he will have passed! So, please say one more prayer. Also, just wanted to say, I am really proud of him. Although this has been REALLY hard on him physically... he has NOT been the last in the class to perform any testing! He has passed testing that others have failed and had to repeat! I think that has helped him tremendously. I think he thought everyone would be waiting on him - and that would just increase the stress level. But, last night he was one of 5 (out of 20) that had not tested on 18'. He said he started to yesterday, but every time he went up to 18' he didn't feel like his excution of "going around" the pole was good because the pole was swaying so much more at 18' than it did at 12'. I don't like swaying... so I am not sure I could have ever accomplished this! Of course, I am not sure he could have accomplished it either without so many prayers! Had lots of friends and family praying for his safety and success. I really appreciate ya'lls help in that!! There was a man severely injured about 6 mos ago in the step pole test because they aren't fastened on during that test on the way up and down and the guy fell from about 12' up. I was glad I didn't know that until AFTER he had already taken and passed the test! :)

Elaine, hope your surgery goes well. Sounds like you know what to expect and will be on the mend quickly! Be ready for spring yard work in no time! :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed Valentine's Day! Love you all!
Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 14, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9418966

Good news on the passes tests, reminded me of when Jerry went to college for the tool and die course, he worried all summer if he could keep up and wound up being the star student when school started. He wishes he had a job that he could work on smaller dies, a lot of his work is heavy too and wears him out, but he like Leigh, just keeps on. I saw an old school friend of mine yesterday, her life has been hard and her hubby is a drunk. I thank God I have a Christian husband, and I have never had to worry if he would work or not.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9419134

Jeri, I saw the FB post too by one of your relatives, and so happy surgery went well. I know you'll post something for us later when you have time.

Genna, glad you had time to post something, lol! You are always so busy with family and friends!!! You're husband , like Sandra's Jerry and probably most of our DH's were just brought up to work hard and persevere. They hang in there (no pun intended) and do a good job. I know you're proud of him for doing so well. You're right, it's probably best you didn't know!

Thanks for the well-wishes and prayers, everyone. I'll be glad when the surgery is behind me, that's for sure. Already have the first PT session scheduled for Friday. They don't mess around.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9419135

Genna, glad to hear everything went well for Leigh! Know you are proud of him. Doesn't sound easy at all!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9419415

I posted this on the Sillies thread and it ended up being so long. I re-posted it.

Jim is doing good!!! I'm sorry guys for leaving you hanging but I'm not real good at typing on my iPhone. Then of course, my batteries ran down on both my iPad and phone. I got home around 10:00PM. Took a bath and went to bed. The Dr. came in this morning and Jim's left leg has a good blood flow but the right aorta repair doesn't have the flow that he was expecting so then they had to come in and do an ultrasound that took over an hour. I guess that we'll find out about that tomorrow. Jim got up this afternoon and took a walk around the nurses station with Terrie. He's hoping to come home tomorrow but we'll see. His Dr. from the Mohs clinic(skin cancer Dr.) came up to the hospital and took out the stitches on his face but he wouldn't do the one's on his forearm. It's like taking one step forward and 2 backwards. Now we begin the wonderful 2 week period where he can't drive. I wonder what they will do to me if I take a baseball bat after him? Seriously!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9419449

Glad Jim is doing well! Being a person that drives everyday you may have to take a baseball bat to hin!!!!LOL. Having him under foot will probably be cause enough for the baseball bat!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9420164

So glad to hear that Jim is doing well! I can sympathize with having a hubby with "cabin fever". Al only had to stop driving for a week but he was stir crazy by the time that week was up. He still is not supposed to lift anything over twenty pounds. I have to watch him like a hawk but so far, so good. He goes back to the doctor on the 27th so hopefully he will be released to do whatever he wants to do.

Genna, I know you are glad this week is behind you and Leigh. Congrats to him for the good results on the tests! Has he found a place in Little Rock to stay during the week?
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 15, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9420295

Hi all! He is on his way home... it will be late this evening, probably 10 or so, before he is home. It took him almost 2 hrs to get 1/4 of the way around the big outside loop around Houston. His class and hotel were located on the West side of the outer most loop - and of course, he had to come home at the North side of Houston. He missed that turn going in - and had to route around ... it took him a LONG time that night too! But, today, he got on the right road but he said there were a lot of signal lights on it and LOTS of traffic. I never dreamed that it would have signals on it - I assumed it was an interstate type loop. Oh well, guess you live and learn. IF he has to go back to Houston in two weeks, I guess he will know to try a different route.

He will work in LR next week - and at least for Monday - he is to report at 7:30 as usual. I don't even know if I told ya'll that his new boss is in the process of changing the work schedule and some people will have to work from 3:00 am - 11:30, then others 7:30 - 4:00 and yet others 3:00 - 11:30. Supposedly going to a 24/7 coverage - but obviously that is NOT 24 hr coverage. He has changed the times two or three times just last week - so who knows what it will actually end up being! They were supposed to decide who is working what this week while Leigh was gone - he is low on the seniority pole so it will probably be one of the off shifts.

No, we have not found a place for him to stay yet. Anyone know of a place? I would love to find a garage apartment, or an older person that would like to rent out a room to have someone around, etc. I do have a friend who offered to rent him a spot for a camper trailer in Ward for 200 a month. That isn't bad, but we don't have a camper. We could buy an old used one - and he could make do with it, but I am not certain that he could survive the summers in one!!! I suspect it would be like a little oven once the temps shoot up - and he is so hot natured, I don't think he would survive it. All the apartments that I have located so far are pretty steep. Might end up having to go that route - but his new boss is so wishy washy that I would like to have a better idea of WHAT he is going to do about possibly transferring/not transferring him back home before we rent a place and commit long term. He will stay with Alex and Natalie again next week - then he will be gone the following week for some additional training - how to drive the larger trucks, park them, use the orange cones, etc. I think there are some other safey aspects to the course as well - but we are not sure yet where he will be going for that training. After that, he might stay one additional week or two, but at that point, we will have to locate something - even if it is a pay by the week hotel room. :( I just don't want him staying with them long term. Alex has very little free time as it is - and it is important that they get to spend that time together.

I was wrong on his course, even after he had passed 18' they still had several more climbing trips up the pole. Went up to 16' again yesterday and up to 18 or so again today - at least once, possibly twice. I am just so thankful it is behind him!! I KNOW he is too! :-)

Elaine... you are right - they don't waste any time on starting that PT. But that is a good thing and will get you back to 100% quickly!

Jeri, what did the ultrasound show on the leg that didn't have the flow the dr wanted? Just wondering if ya'll got to come home or are you still at the hospital? Sounds like Jim might need to stay at the hospital for his own safety! LOL...

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9420362

My congrats to Leigh also. Some times experience wins over youth!!!

They let us out. We're home!!! The Dr's assistant came in and told Jim that we'd have to stay until probably Mon. and they would re-do the dye test but he sent the results of the ultrasound to Dr. Shelleck and he said we could go home that the by-pass was doing good and his feet were warm. There is probably another blockage down by his ankle but it's not showing up on any of the test.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9420533

Genna don't know if there are such a thing as garage apartments around here anymore! Finding an older person to rent a room with would probably be a word of mouth, friend of a friend kind of thing. You might have better luck with apartments outside Little Rock/North Little Rock - Bryant, Benton, Conway - even Cabot. I'd stay away from Jacksonville.

Jeri glad things are going well for Jim!

We just got back from a school talent show. Richard's granddaughter did a number for it. She sang and played the guitar. Did great!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9421370

Sarah and I went hiking today with our hiking group. We started hiking about 9:30 and it was cold then but it warmed up as the day went on and we kept shedding clothes. Beautiful day!! We hiked on Petit Jean from Mather Lodge down to Cedar Falls and then over to Blue Hole and back to the lodge. Lots of climbing up and down big rocks so we really got a good work out (another reason we were shedding clothes). After our 3 and 1/2 hour hike we were famished and our late lunch was delicious!!! We have both enjoyed our hiking adventures!
The first photo is Cedar Falls. You can see the falls from Mather Lodge. We hiked all the way down to the falls. I took the picture standing on a rock directly in front of the falls. They actually don't look quite as impressive close up as they do looking at them from Mather Lodge and seeing the all around it.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 8:31 AM

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9422305

NICE!! I've been there, it is nice, I sure miss hiking.

I have news!!

We're going next weekend to Bryant, to pick up our second great dane pup!! We can't help it, we have been bitten by the dane bug and Nola has been one awesome pup, everytime Amber brings her dog charlie to the house, they have so much fun together, that we decided Nola needs another dog to grow up with.!! Soooo be it!! Danny said get er done, so I'm gettin it done!! lol Love that man!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9422311

Oh and his name is Nick, but we are going to be calling him nicky lol I hope that doesn't sound too girly. oh well. he's black and white. and someone around here is going to have their hands full!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9422421

Ha, ha, ha, Kathy Ann! I wonder who that "someone" is??? :D

Lovely photos, Charlotte. I have hiked down to Cedar Falls before but it has been a loooooooong time. Did you all eat at the restaurant at the lodge or did you take your lunches? Al and I are going to take our fifth wheel to Petit Jean after we leave Kathy Ann's round-up in June. I want to show him some of the beautiful sights in Arkansas. :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9422457

This was our second trip to Petit Jean in recent months. In November we hiked the Seven Hollows trail (about 4 1/2 miles). It is on the left close to the lodge (can't remember if it was before or after the lodge).
The hike to Cedar Falls is not that far (about 2 1/2 miles). But you have to go down - way down to get to the trail to the falls. It's the coming back up that is the strenuous part. Part of our group opted not to hike the addition 2 miles to Blue Hole because they were afraid they would be too tired to make it back up the mountain. We made it back up without any problem after hiking to Blue Hole but did have to stop and rest several times on the way back up. Did get our heart pumping for a good cardio workout! We all hike with poles. I use one of those light weight aluminum ones that looks like a ski pole. Sarah uses the tall stick like they sell at Mather Lodge. Without a pole getting over the big rocks could be tricky. The steps going down and coming up are just big rocks and they are about the height of 2 regular steps. The whole trail has lots of rocks and the poles really help getting over them.

We always eat lunch at some restaurant. We ate at Mather Lodge in Nov and also yesterday. If it's been a while since you've been there you'll find they have totally remodeled the lodge. It looks great. The food was good both times. In Nov Sarah and I both had the buffet and it was very good. They didn't have a buffet yesterday - just a salad bar. Yesterday I had a Ruben and Sarah had a burger. Both were really good. Lots of choices on the menu - sandwiches, soup, salads entrees.

We travel around the state to do our hikes. Our next hike will be the Lake Ouachita Vista Trail the first Sat
in March.

If you haven't already been you all need to go to Crystal Bridges Museum. Should be a day trip for you. It's really worth the trip. Not just for the art but the building itself and the surroundings. No way to take a picture to capture the way it looks.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9422489

Kathy Ann I got a phone call and hit send before I lost my post but can't wait to see Nola and Nick in June!! You are going to have your hands full but they will be such fun!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9423450

Yes. It will be fun. The lady I am getting nick from had 2 dogs have pups. Had 23 total pups. Add that up at 500 a pop. Wow!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9424080

Nick is adorable, Kathy-Ann! Saw his pic on FB last night. You will have your hands full for sure. Still hoping I get to come in June so I can see them (and everyone else of course!)!

Charlotte and Sarah, y'all have been busy hiking and I'm jealous!! I know I won't be able to hike for a while with my knee and will miss all the good spring hiking and wildflowers this year. We went to Atlanta this weekend and I picked up some brochures about hiking in north Georgia and it made me want to go even more. Don't know why I even picked them up but maybe I'll be able to do it in a couple of months! They have a program where if you hike these 4 trails in the state and register you get a t-shirt that you've completed them. Three are in north GA not too far away and some friends live near one so I'm sure they would hike with us. Might try to do them anyway before the end of the year.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9424121

Elaine we have really enjoyed the hiking. They hike from Sept to May. Don't hike in the summer months. I thought to myself I wouldn't be doing the hikes in the middle of the winter - just thought it would be too cold and uncomfortable. But I haven't missed any of them because of the cold. We went on one to Heber Springs the first Sat of Jan. That was right after the big snow we had on Christmas day. There was still some snow on the ground and we had to go up 96 steps in one spot that was covered in snow. The steps were wooden and had a rail to hold onto so it was not a problem. If you dress properly and once you get moving it's fine.

Having something already planned and all I have to do is show up has really helped me. Don't rush your hiking in Georgia but sounds like it would be a fun hike.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 19, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9424400

Isn't tomorrow your surgery day, Elaine ? You will be dancing in just a few weeks, hiking too if you want !
god Bless you and the doctors tomorrow, please have someone let us know when it is over.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9424522

Yes, Sandra. Tomorrow it is at noon. I have to be there at 10, and I'll probably be starving and wanting coffee and whining about it if I know myself, lol!

Thank you all so much for your prayers and concern! I'll probably be on-line myself after we get home (I hope) to let you all know something. He said the surgery itself would take about an hour to an hour and a half. I sure hope I'll be able to do some moderate hiking by May at least before it gets too hot but I won't push it.

Jeri, speaking of surgeries, hope Jim is doing well at home too!
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 19, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9424540

Prayers for your surgery tomorrow and for a speedy recovery! That is one advantage to having to go in early for surgeries ... you don't miss the coffee and food quite as much! I know when Alex had his nose surgery, he was supposed to go in at 11 - and of course, couldn't have anything - then he ended up not going back until 3:30 and he was just a tad irritible from the lack of coffee and food!! I can't blame him... I told him next time he would learn to ask for the earliest slot...

We will be looking to hear from you!

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9424558

Prayers will be going out for you Elaine and that God guide the Dr's hands throughout the surgery and that you have a speedy recovery!!!

We go back to the hospital Friday. We went to see Jim's surgeon today about some excessive drainage and he thinks he must have nicked the lymph node so he will have to open up the incision and stitch up the lymph node and then close up the incision. It is suppose to be a day surgery so I pray that is true.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9424749

I've had a stomach bug the last two days but I'm better now and will be feeling fine by tomorrow I am sure.

Elaine, prayers for you! We'll be waiting to hear from you after surgery!

Charlotte, I have not been to Petit Jean since before Buddy died. I had read on their website about the remodeling and will look forward to eating at the lodge restaurant when Al and I are there in June. I also have read about the Crystal Bridges Museum and look forward to seeing it perhaps this spring. Al loves museums. I'll probably have to drag him out of it. LOL
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9424786

Love y'all!! You're the best! Hugs to you all!

Glad you're better, Marilyn!

Goodness, Jeri! Hate to hear that but hope the Doc gets him fixed up!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9424802

Marilyn while you are at Petit Jean you should take Al down to Perryville to see the Heifner International Ranch. I have taken all the grandkids and they really enjoyed it. But I think I probably enjoyed it more even than they did. No cost. They will take you on a guided tour in a golf cart. It is best to go in the morning as they have classes for the young volunteers in the afternoon and as a result you can't go in a couple of areas then. It was also interesting to me just to learn how it all operates. The lady that took us around was in her late 60's early 70's and was living on the ranch as a volunteer for a year. They actually have a lot of older volunteers that live there for months at a time. They grow lots of flowers and vegetables.
Of course I'm sure All will enjoy the car museum on Petit Jean. I've taken the grandkids almost every year they have been here. One of the places they enjoy going back to Their other favorite place on Petit Jean is Petit Jean's gravesite.

Jeri glad Jim is getting the drainage taken care of.

Elaine praying that all goes well with your surgery!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9425786

Charlotte, I have been there to Heifer International Ranch when my granddaughter's class toured the place. I had forgotten about it being so close to Petit Jean and it is something we could do while in the area. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks, Elaine, I am all better now. :)

We are expecting bad winter weather tonight and tomorrow morning--rain, sleet, ice, or snow or a combination of all four. I've heard that north and western AR have already experienced some snow this afternoon. A bit of snow would be okay but I sure hope we don't have an ice storm! Everybody stay safe!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9425908

What a long day! I am sitting in the car waiting for Earl to get prescriptions filled and then home finally. Surgery went very well just was a little late and I recover slowly. They gave me a block, which numbs the whole leg, so I have no pain. I do have some discomfort in the muscles (quad and hamstring) when I try to move that leg and can feel my foot. Weird sensations. I am hungry but know I need to eat light so will have some soup and crackers tonight. I go to rehab Friday and see the Doc again on Tuesday. He said today I can probabaly resume light jogging in 2 months. I was totally surprised at that. Thanks again for all your prayers. Keep them up for a speedy recovery!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9425954

Elaine glad all went well with your surgery!! They get you up and going fast now days!

I went outside about 6 to cut some chives and was shocked to see we had sleet all over the back yard. It has been raining most of the day. But I didn't think it was cold enough for sleet. It's been hovering around 33 to 34. Hope it doesn't drop enough tonight for the pines to freeze over!

A friend that lives on Petit Jean posted on FB earlier today it was sleeting there. I know Russellville also has a lot of sleet.

Marilyn hope you don't get a lot of bad weather.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9426152

I'm so glad that things went so good. I hope the pain remains at a minimum. That is totally amazing Elaine that they did surgery today and expect you to do PT on Friday. They totally have it down to a fine art to even think you would be able to do that.

We're due to have rain but our temperature tomorrow is suppose to be 71. The company that I sell carports for is in Russellville and they shut down today. Yall stay safe!!!

My BFF from high school called me this morning at 7:17 to tell me her older sister's son, hung himself. She was on her way to Baton Rouge to meet her family so they could make arrangements. As you can imagine her family is in total denial. Please remember her family in your prayers they are the only things that will help right now.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9426668

Jeri, so sorry to hear about this awful thing that has happened.

About the weather, I know we have sunshine now and it's cold and a bit breezy from what I can tell, but rain is on the way this afternoon. I hope it doesn't get bad, but I'm staying in no mater what. Yes, they want you to keep the joints moving! I remember with the last ACL, I was up for PT the next day! With this nerve block, I have no pain yet because I don't have all the feeling back. They gave my daughter one with her rotator cuff and she said it was about 36 hours before she had all the feeling back. I can tell some of the feeling is coming back but slowly. That's probably a good thing, but I obviously can't put weight on the leg yet since it's just flopping around. Funny, there is feeling from mid-calf down.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9426687

Jeri so sorry to hear about your friends nephew!!! So sad!

I know exactly where the carport place is! Right on the interstate. Coastal Carports. Also called on them with I was with the US Chamber.

Crazy weather here! Hope it clears up soon. I had to go to the doctor this morning for a routine 6 month check up and blood work. Everything is fine! Hailed like crazy while I was there and was still on the ground when I left. It keeps raining really hard. Just hope the pine trees don't get ice in them. It says the temperature is 34 degrees but I'm seeing some ice accumulation in the pine trees and on my Sweet Bay Magnolia.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9426702

I have been selling them for 9 years now. I love it. Gives me my plant money. LOL!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 21, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9426739

Good thing NO PAIN !! I didn't come here but saw on FB you were out and going home, you better be careful until it gets back to normal, I would probably bust me butt !!!!

Jeri, sorry about the death and the place closing, will you be selling for another dealer now?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9426767

No, sorry I didn't make that clear. They were closed yesterday b/c of the weather. They are up and running again today.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9426905

Elaine: so glad to know your surgery went well. I hope you aren't in too much pain once that block wears off.

Jeri: How sad about your friend's nephew. It seems that so many young people nowadays are committing suicide. :(

I don't know how much sleet we have--it's hard to say. Our yard looks like it snowed but this is really ice:
The birds were having a feeding frenzy on and below my bird feeder today.

Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 22, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9427952

It is 42 here today - but it is sure a COLD 42 :( I guess because of all the moisture in the air, it sure feels a lot colder!

Marilyn, hope that ice is gone away and didn't cause any problems. We had heavy rain yesterday - but before i left for work yesterday morning we had a heavy rain with hail in it. Thankfully it was just mostly large pea size, some slightly larger...

Elaine hope the pain isn't too bad when the feeling starts coming back. Leigh had a nerve block when they did his shoulder surgery - and he said when they did it his arm was just flopping wildly up and down off the bed... said that was how the woman knew she was in the right place! He said it didn't really hurt, but it kinda freaked him out with it flopping around.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 24, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9430329

What a difference a few days makes! Started out chilly this morning, but ended up being a beautiful day. Didn't get a chance to spend much time outdoors other than helping carry things to various vehicles, a trip to town to do lab and make a walmart run, and filling up the bird feeders, but it was nice to see the sun for a while! Been sick of these overcast skies...

Elaine, hope that leg is doing well and that PT went well on Friday. Are you set up to go three days a week for a while?

Leigh is in Dallas this evening. Has a safety course he has to go thru, but I think this will be a breeze compared to pole school. :) Jessica was home this weekend - and we had fun hanging out and doing some baking together...

Been trying to decide what type of big dog I want - and I just seem to be getting more confused! :-) Eventually, I will figure it out I guess.

Jeri, when does Mary go back to the doctor? Hope that Jim is doing well after them having to go back in...I know he probably wasn't too happy about that!

Can you believe that it is almost March?? I don't know where the time is going!!!

Have a great evening everyone!
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 24, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9430334

forgot to ask all ya'll bird people about a new bird that I have been seeing the past few days. It is larger than a sparrow and a gold finch - closer to the size of a cardinal but maybe not quite that large. It is fairly dark brown or gray in color except it has red on its chest and face. It is not a Robin... but I have never seen a bird like this before. I have seen what I believe are two different ones - one larger than the other... any suggestions as to what they might be? I haven't been able to get a decent picture of it...

Thanks!
Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9430374

We have to be in New Orleans 3/12/13 at 6:30AM for the biopsy.
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 25, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9430743

Wow - didn't realize it would be two more weeks before they did that... it is so hard to get medical things scheduled it seems - everything seems to move at a snail's pace. Guess on the bright side - that gives us two more weeks of prayers before she goes in. Please keep us posted!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9430796

Will do!!! Mary is on Medicaid and it takes longer through that system then if you have regular insurance. Actually this was a short time compared to what she normally goes thru. I'll tell her. I know that she will appreciate all the prayers.

I started a new study group last night on the book "Not a Fan" thru our church. They have broken the church down to age groups and it's kinda like Sunday School but we are meeting at different people's houses. Our group is down the road in Denham Springs. It is suppose to make your walk with Jesus more real so that you aren't a fan but a follower. I have to tell you that I really enjoyed it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 25, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9430808

Sounds like a fun study, Jeri, maybe you can share some of it with us, if not here, then FB !

Genna are you getting used to being home alone yet?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9430857

Jeri I know Mary as well as you will be glad when Mary get her procedure over with.

My church does something similar. We call ours community groups. They are small groups that meet in homes. We all follow a schedule the church sets and often times the church has something they want all the groups to study together. Sometime we can choose what we want to study as a group. I go to one that is a little different. It meets at the church in a small room every other Wed. A group of ladies from the church have taken on serving us lunch as a way of serving. They prepare a delicious meal and serve us. We always have a lesson that we participate in before the meal. We have a study book we use. Now we are studying from a book called The Gospel-Centered Life.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9430894

We're calling ours Spring Life Groups. I would love to share it with Yall!! I ordered my book and journal last night when I got home. We watched a movie about a young man that had a heart attack and died. The part that stung the worst was when they asked us what our friends and family would say about US when we die. Pretty simply you say? Think about that for a while. If you don't like the answer NOW is the time to change. It's not enough to just be a fan. You have to be a follower.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9430902

Sounds very much like our groups Jeri. We have done a study asking the same question. Does make you stop and think!

Sandra here is a link to the recent sermons at our church. We have a live podcast every Sun. morning. You see three names because we have three teaching pastors (not just one) and they rotate Sundays.

http://www.fellowshiponline.com/resources/sermons/archive/
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 25, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9430907

Sandra, I guess it is better... I won't say that I am used to it - or that I even WANT to get used to it :) I am such a people person that I really have a hard time on the days I don't get to interact with anyone!! I have driven to Arkadelphia on Wednesday night the past two weeks to take the kids out to eat and drop off stuff just to have a human conversation! The dogs don't have conversations well...LOL... but at least they do provide companionship! Leigh was gone most of the day Saturday to meet his two brothers in Warren for them to do some dividing up of the property that they did own jointly - and then he had to leave at 1 headed to Dallas for his next class so we didn't see each other long. Jessica left about 6 last night headed back to school.

I am staying busy, and have gotten a few things marked off my ever growing list of things to do... but haven't made as much progress as I had hoped - but at least it is progress! Am going to have to take a break from my list and get my tax stuff together - which I HATE doing but I really need it done! I am doing a little better at sleeping at night but I still wake up lots of times a night and it makes the sleep really disrupted... but better than not sleeping!

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 25, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9430912

We cross posted... yep, a very thought provoking question. And, one other thing that I have thought about as I have attended the funerals of very old people in our church is that people know you differently at different points in our lives...but that all that matters is that they know you are a follower of Christ all the way thru!

Please continue to pray for my friend Marie and her family...they are really having a hard time adjusting to life without their daughter/sister...

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9430993

Hi Genna, I did have re-hab on Friday and it went well. Mostly the first session was an evaluation and some initial exercises I have to do twice a day, which aren't very hard. Then they did the electrical stimulation and ice. I do have to go 3 times per week so will go again late this afternoon. Later in the day fits better with work right now. The knee is doing well and I can actually walk without crutches but usually take one with me when I go out just in case. The bruising is beginning to show up in my leg, as they said it would, so it looks like I've been beat up a little bit. Funny, it shows up even in my ankle but they said that was normal.

Was that bird you saw a Red-breasted Grosbeak? I know they migrate thru here about this time of year. I love how they look if that was it. Their feathers look so smooth and sleek.

I worked on taxes Saturday and got my part done. DH needs to do his stuff (his volunteer stuff with the sheriff's dept, etc), and I need to get him motivated to get it done and all the stuff to our accountant. Yesterday, I got my tomato and pepper seeds started finally. A little later than usual, but I don't really care right now, just glad I got some started. I decided I needed to take one more day at home, so am at home today. Most of our office is off this week for a meeting so we're not swamped, thankfully, and they can handle one more day without me, lol!

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 25, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9431253

I haven't even started on tax stuff ... and I always dread it so! I just really need to get it behind me!

I don't think that the bird I saw is that redbreasted Grosbeak. It was not quite that dark, and I didn't see any white markings at all - and the red was on the chest and up the sides of the face. The only think close I have been able to find is a varied bunting - but that is supposed to have blue on the side of its face. I really don't know what it is... wish I could get a decent picture then maybe someone could id it. The closest thing I found to something that looked like it was actually a "common rosefinch" - http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/715/_/Common_Rosefinch.aspx
It didn't look like the illustration, but did resemble some of the photographs. The problem is that it's range is supposed to be ALASKA... I guess it is possible - but he is sure a LONG way from home! :-)

Glad to hear the PT is going well. I am surprised you can walk on it!! I wouldn't have figured you would have been able to immediately! I don't blame you for taking an extra day off - I just figured you would be off a week or two...didn't know you were headed right back to work. Hope it continues to go well.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9431562

Could it have been a cedar waxwing? They are beautiful birds and about the size of a cardinal. The only other one I can think of is a red finch but they are more wine colored around the head and are pretty common They are beginning to show their colors, sort of like the little gold finches this time of year. Hope you figure it out.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9431627

Genna: I don't know if the rosefinch is the same as a house finch. We have them around here. They are just a bit larger than a goldfinch. you can google "house finch" and come up with all sorts of links.
Glad to know you are becoming more accustomed to being alone some of the time. It never gets real easy but dogs do offer some companionship--especially if they are indoor dogs.

Elaine, glad to hear that the rehab is going well. Al is going to have to have surgery on his left knee---again! It will be the third time on the same knee!! :( Needless to say he will be going to a different doctor this time around.

Jeri; the small group study sounds interesting. I really enjoy small groups like that but we don't have anything like that around here. We do have a Bible study on Sunday afternoons at 4 p.m. at our church which is good. We just take chapters from the Bible and discuss them.
We know you will keep us informed about Mary and Jim.

It's raining cats and dogs here. I won't complain because we need the rain. The bad thing is that the temp is supposed to drop and all this rain could turn to snow. Not looking forward to that but the weather folk are saying that most of it will be to the northwest of us. I hope they are right.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9431661

Genna if you start checking around I bet you can find some activities at night that will get you out with people. Does your church have any night activities? What about a bunk go (sp?) group. They have a lot of those around here. I've gone as a sub several times. Really enjoyed it. It was more visiting and eating than any thing. What about a book club. There are usually lots of those around. I've found that if you just start checking around you can find some kind of group for most any kind of activity you're interested in.

Elaine glad to hear your knee is doing so well! They really get you up and going now!

Marilyn, sorry Al is going to have to have another knee replacement. Three times on the same knee!! For sure I'd be finding me another doctor for the third one! Has he had his stress test yet?

It's been raining cats and dogs here today too!! Messy, messy day. I was working up in Cabot today and had to drive home in a real down pour. A special project I'm working on. I'll be there all day again tomorrow and in Beebe Wed and Thurs. I don't think we are going to get any freezing rain or snow however. Actually think the sun is supposed to come up later this week.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9432158

Marilyn, is this another knee replacement? I hope he does see another doctor this time! That isn't good to have to go thru that again!! Keep us posted.

We're supposed to/possibly have/predicted to have snow flurries here on Thursday too. You never know with our weather predictions, lol! You know how it is...if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour or two!

I for one, am glad it's still a bit on the chilly side. At least I'm not frustrated at not being able to get out and do something outside. That's really selfish isn't it?! At least I can catch up on reading, taxes, and watching some movies. Watched 'Argo' Sunday and really enjoyed it. I want to see 'Zero Dark Thirty' but guess I will wait until it's available on pay per view.

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 26, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9432249

Marilyn, I believe that it might be a house finch after looking at the photos... This one is larger than the goldfinches that I have - but that appears to be it. This is the first time I have ever seen one! Sorry to hear that Al has to have surgery again... hope this one does the trick!
Alex has Leigh doing some stretches and special exercises to try to curb some of his knee issues - Leigh says for the first time in a long time they actually feel better. They have been pretty sore since pole climbing school because they took a lot of abuse.

I could volunteer to help with Awanas on Wednesday night at our church, but usually the volunteers start in August and go thru the school year. My biggest thing right now is that i do NOT want to be out at night. Not comfortable enough coming home by myself to an empty house and I do better if I am IN the house as it is getting dark. I have come in the past 2 weeks from visiting with the kids - but I leave lots of lights on, etc so that when I get back I am not as scared. It is better and eventually I probably wont have a problem coming home by myself - but right now, I do not like it at all! :-) I might check into bunko ... I think most of the groups around here play one night a month - but I have never played. Might be a fun activity for once a month anyway. I would really like to get some of my projects out of the way before I start looking for outside things to do. Of course, once it starts staying light late, and is warm enough to work outside, I will be outside til dark. Then that won't leave much time for any projects inside... LOL Guess that means I better pick up the pace on some of them! I haven't even ventured into the study yet...it is going to take a while to get it straightened up! Leigh has it in a mess!! :( Plus, I have some sewing projects I want to get done as well... I have finished up some small projects but have several to go.

It is cold outside today! Will definitely not be working outside this week!!

Elaine, glad to hear that Argo is a good movie. I wanted to go see it in theaters but never got there... so I hope to see it once it comes out at Redbox. I know the DVD was just released for sale, so guess it will be a few more weeks before it is at redbox and such.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 26, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9432538

Genna, you sound like my Mammas friend Virginia, she will NOT go inside by herself after dark, if she comes in late, she goes across the road to her neighbors and has them go in with her. She is 87 or 88 and has been that way since her husband died when I was a little girl.
I am not scared of coming in by myself, I did it several times when Jerry was on the night shift, but I am scared of getting sprayed by a skunk after dark !!! The way I figure it, God has kept me safe all these years, and I don't know why He would stop now, if He does, it is still all in His hands.
I am disappointed in my new glasses, I can see better, but still can't see any farther. I was hoping to be able to see farther because of driving and it just isn't helping. I can see a little better in the dark.
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 26, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9432865

LOL... I have never liked the dark - even as a small child, but I am a LOT better now!! I have said several prayers while I have been here alone, and Marilyn shared several nice bible verses with me that I have read several times before I head to bed. They seem to quiet my soul and let me rest. I think I am more scared of being scared by something or someone than what they might do to me if that makes sense... I just hate being scared - don't watch scary movies, etc. But, I do totally agree, it is all in God's hands. I am not afraid of dying, just afraid of being scared in the time in between I guess LOL ... I live in a fairly safe neighborhood I guess, but out of sight of all my neighbors so that makes me a little nervous. It is getting better - just something I have to get used to I guess.

They have decided now to total Leigh's car... it has been 3 weeks since he hit the deer - and they were supposed to have it ready by wednesday or thursday of this week. Now they have found a problem with the transmission where the impact messed up something and that puts it over the limit - so now it will be totaled... :( something else to figure out!

Sorry to hear your new glasses were not beneficial for your distance vision! It sure seems hard to get them like you want them. Mine are only for reading, but my new pair has to be down my nose for me to see - if I put them up like they should be everything is blurry! My old glasses are not that way so I end up using them a lot instead of the new ones. Guess I really need to take the new ones in and have them check them.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9432980

Sandra I'm like you about the dark. I figure God's going to take care of me as long as I just use a little common sense and pay attention to what's going on around me. It used to be safe to walk after dark and I loved to walk around my neighborhood in the dark. It's a very peaceful spiritually kind of thing to me. Very calming! Unfortunately it's not a safe thing to do anymore!
I grew up with a mother that was afraid of staying by herself after dark. I remember at a very young age that that really bothered me! We lived in the country from when I was about 3 until I was 8. My dad worked in town and if it was going to be after dark when he got home we walked to my grandparents and he knew we would be there. There was a lot of oil activity in our area back then and there was a pipeline that guys would walk and check every so often. I can remember that if they were walking the pipeline we could not go outside. We had to stay inside with all the doors locked! We lived in an old fairly large country home with a big hallway that went the length of the house with a door at each end and glass panels on either side of the door. If we had a thunderstorm, we had to sit in the middle of the hallway and basically couldn't move!! My brother was 5 years younger than me so a lot of this time it was just me and mother! So as you can see she was just afraid of things in general and worried a lot about things she couldn't control!

After we moved into town she got better about staying by herself and as she got older would actually go places at night by herself and go home to a house with without any one there.

But somehow instead of making me afraid to stay by myself it had the opposite affect! I saw how it affected her life and I was determined from a very young age not to be like that! I have traveled all over the US by myself. Staying in motels by myself, renting cars and driving places. I've found myself in a few situations I felt a little uncomfortable but never actually afraid. I just think of what all I would have missed in life if I hadn't been able to get out and do those things by myself!!! I've always felt God is watching over me.

It's just my personal attitude that if I'm lonely or there is something I want to do I try to figure out how I can go about filling that void. My own personal solution (not everyone's I realize) is to get involved in some group or some activity as it is a way to meet new friends that you can do things with and possibly learn about other groups and other activities.

But everyone is different and that's what makes the world go round!!!! LOL

Sorry you're disappointed in your new glasses Sandra!! Those things are expensive too!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9433434

I totally understand, Genna, how you feel about not wanting to go into your house by yourself after dark. I was that way, too, for a while after Buddy died. I got over it, though, because I didn't want to live in fear and I would just remind myself of those Bible verses I shared with you. Then, too, having a little dog like Friday around was a big comfort because he was another living, breathing creature in the house with me and he was a lot of company to me. I could always count on him to alert me if anyone was around. The thing is, are you going to trust God to "give His angels charge over you" (Psalm 91) or are you going to give in to the devil and be afraid. I think you have opted to not live in fear but, as you said, being alone is certainly a change in lifestyle for you and it does take some mental adjustment. I have no doubt that you are in the prtope you get a good settlement from the insurance company so Leigh can get a vehicle equal to or better than the one he was driving.
Yes, you should definitely take those glasses back and have them replaced with a pair that is satisfactory to you!

Sandra: sorry your glasses aren't doing what you hoped they would do. Have you asked the eye doctor about it? Corrective lenses are supposed to correct the problem!!

Al and I watched Argo on PPV, too. They showed it on Saturday night on DirecTV but that is our card night with a group of friends so I recorded it. We watched it Sunday afternoon. It is a really good movie and I especially liked the last scene where the airplane was taking off. However, my bubble was burst when the folks on the Today Show on Monday were talking about it and said that scene didn't really happen that way. Bummer!! Why does Hollywood have to go and mess with history! :(

Al hasn't even been to the doctor yet about getting a new knee. We have just both decided that is what he needs to do. He has had two surgeries on the left knee--both of which took place before I ever met him. When he was in the hospital with his second knee surgery, he had a heart attack the day before they were going to send him home. About a month later, he had open heart surgery for a bypass. Right after that, his previous wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and she died about a year later. SOOOOO, as you can see, the two or three years before he and I met were not good times for him. Needless to say, he really did not have the opportunity to seek a new doctor and have something done about the knee. We are still trying to decide which doctor within a 100 mile radius of us will be the best one to see. We are asking a lot of different people who they have used and if they are happy with their results. There is a very good orthopedic doctor in Branson and we may check him or her out (I think that doctor is female.) We hope to get the knee taken care of sometime within the next few weeks because, after all, we can't miss Kathy Ann's RU!!!! :D

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 27, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9433549

We are so bad, planning our things around our get togethers !

Yes, my new glasses cost 900.00. My insurance paid 300 and I only have to pay 10 for the eye exam.
He did tell me both eyes have a cataract, so I feel like this is probably the best they will be until they get ready to be removed. They are much better than my old ones, just was hoping to be able to see farther away from me.

We had a pastor at our church about 20 years ago that had a cousin that worked at a mission in downtown Memphis, a very rough place. His life was threatened one night by a drunk with a gun, the man screamed out as loud as he could " You can't threaten me with Heaven" ! It startled the gunman so bad he left running.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9433556

Good idea, Marilyn, about seeking opinions. And talking to the doctor too (or maybe several).

I thought the same thing, Marilyn, about the ending. I also watched a segment the other day which was an interview with the former Canadian ambassador and his wife. He said the same thing about using 'poetic license' with a few facts for effect. But I guess I can forgive them that for the effect it had. I can see why they would use the dramatic factor given the situation.

Sandra, sorry about your glasses. Sometimes I've heard the dispenser (the people who make the glasses) do get them wrong. And if you aren't happy go back and have someone take a look to make sure they were made correctly. Do you have the 'Izon' prescription for driving at night to correct astigmatism? I got a pair with this feature just specifically for driving at night in unfamiliar places. They are truly amazing. I don't have bad astigmatism, but whenever I am driving in an unfamiliar location, they really sharpen my vision. I don't need glasses for driving, just for reading, but the Izon's really help at night.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 27, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9433584

I am not sure, she said with my script I needed a certain kind of lens, but can't remember what she called it
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 27, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9433812

Yeah, Marilyn, I don't LIKE going in after dark, but I can do it. Just not my favorite thing - but I think the biggest thing is the adjustment. It is more the knowing that no one is coming home later, or whatever than the just being alone at the time! :) But, I slept ALL night last night! I was totally shocked!! I usually look at the clock several times a night, rarely sleeping more than 2 hrs before looking at it again - sometimes only 30 minutes. Last night I laid down about 10:30 and don't remember looking at the clock or even rolling over until 5:34 this morning! I looked at the clock and thought "wow - I actually slept all night!" Then I went back to sleep until the alarm went off at 6:15. I have been doing things that I would not have normally done had Leigh been home - such as sorting thru things that need to be gone thru, eating breakfast for supper, etc. so there are some advantages - and I am trying to look at it like I need to get everything done that I possibly can so that IF he is able to transfer back close, then I will have at least accomplished something during this time.

They haven't offered a lot of Leigh's car - just under 10K. But, hopefully he will be able to find something decent that is close to that price range. IF he was going to be transferred back to Camden, he would probably get a truck because our truck is old and raggedy, but with him having to put on so many miles and gas going up every day, it isn't feasible for him to get a truck. He will have to get another small vehicle of some type for sure. His VW Beetle was a diesel and got about 40 mpg - so that helped. No idea what he will be looking for now.

Elaine, what is the Izon prescription?? Is that part of your reading glasses? I am interested because I have asitigmatism too and it does bother me some at night. I only wear my glasses for reading which doesn't help with night driving - they had told me they could only do that if they were bifocals...so I would love to learn more about those lens.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9434043

Genna, the Izon's aren't reading glasses at all. You only wear them at night or when you have a lot of glare when you are bothered by your astigmatism. They 'map' your eye and make a prescription for you individually that is according to your level of astigmatism, so everything comes in sharp focus, even though you can see just fine (my vision is pretty much 20/20 without correction, but the astigmatism can cause me to have some trouble with halos and fuzziness when looking at headlights). They make things look crystal clear and sharp at night. Check with your optomotrist or opthamologist and see if they measure for them and can order the lenses. I just keep mine in the car - have had them about 3-4 years now and that's the only time I really use them.

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 28, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9434357

Wow - I will have to ask about those specifically because I did ask this time about getting a second pair of glasses to try to correct the halos and starbursts that bother me at night. In fact, Kyle and Jessica both have the starbursts really bad too - always have. The doctor says because of the way our eyes are shaped. I told them I thought I could benefit from having a pair just for that in the car. They never mentioned the Izons - but said I could "probably" get a set to correct my slight deficit in far vision and fix the problem. I will give them a call and ask specifically about the Izon and if they handle that product. Sounds like exactly what I am needing! It isn't a problem most nights - guess I am used to it. But it does become a bigger issue when I am driving in a big city with lots of lights (both cars and night lights) and then trying to decifer where to turn, etc.

Years and years ago when I was in college, I got my first set of glasses because my pupils do not adjust to light like they should all the time. They were just a very basic correction to my astigmatism with a slightly tinted glass. I wore them until I was thru with college because they studying for long hours, and the sitting in florescent lighting for long hours really affected my eyes and gave me headaches. But, like you, my vision is still very close to perfect. They have only really needed any correction at all just the past few months - only then when reading tiny print or lots of heavy reading. But, when I got that first set of glasses years ago is when I realized that I had the "starbursts"... LOL... until then I just thought they were normal! :) but when I would wear those glasses it would instantly pull the starburst back in to one solid light!! Never had a pair of glasses that has done that since then!!

Thanks for the info!

gen2026
Camden, AR

February 28, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9434370

By the way, can you believe this is the last day of February?? Time is flying by!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9434441

You bet, Genna. I can drive just fine without them when I know where I'm going (like from town to home), but when I'm driving in unfamiliar or busy traffic at night, they really help tremendously. Good luck! Well worth it. I got some inexpensive frames since I only use mine for the car at night.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9435991

It's March and time for a new thread! Please join us over here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300694/

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300694/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America