Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Indoor Seed Medium

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 7, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Patty57
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9407980

Does anyone re-use their seed medium for another round of seeds to germinate after you transplant a group of seedlings? I use equal parts of vermiculite/milled sphagnum/perlite for my medium.

Patty
margap
East Kingston, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9409811

I start my seeds in soilblocks and if something does not germinate, I always throw the block back into the medium to re-use. Haven't noticed any negative effects.
Marg
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9410096

Hi Patty,

I germinate my seeds in 3.25-inch square clear plastic orchid pots, so the seedlings grow to expand their roots throughout those pots, and all of my seed medium winds up in the garden soil around the roots of my plants. I use Premier ProMix BX and I add some extra Perlite to it. For my "breeder quality" zinnias I plant just one seed per pot, to avoid having to discard any before first bloom.

If no seed germinates in a pot, I do "re-use" it by planting more seeds in the pot. I re-wash the pots and re-use them from year to year. A standard 11 x 22 inch PermaNest tray holds 18 of the pots. I plant directly into pots to avoid pricking out delicate seedlings from seed starting medium, which if you have a lot of seedlings, can be time consuming. The clear plastic pots let me see the root development, so that I can move the seedling into the garden or re-pot it to a larger pot before it gets too rootbound.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9410157

Zen_Man
where did you buy those clear pots?
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9410399

I think I got my first bunch several years ago from rePotMe, and then a year ago I got some more from OrchidNut through Amazon. I don't see that Amazon source anymore. I haven't purchased from this source, but they seem to have them.

http://www.chulaorchids.com/html/clear_pots.html

They seem to be offering the same pots that I use as:

Part Number: #3.25NCUVM
30 each any quantity + shipping
135 shipped anywhere in continental US for $49.00
3.25 inch clear plastic orchid pot with UV inhibitor
(3 1/4 inch square x 3 3/4 deep)

If $49 gets you 135 pots and pays for the shipping, that is a good deal. I might just get some more pots myself. If you needed a lot of those pots, I understand that some sources offer them in case quantities for a good quantity discount. However, you have to watch out when buying pots online, because you can wind up paying more for shipping than pots.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9410702

thanks so much.
I think it might be fun to look at the roots while the plant is growing.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9432537

You can buy clear plastic cups really cheap, punch holes in the bottom for drainage. I do some that way.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9432871

I like the square ones because they make better use of the limited space in my 11 x 22 PermaNest trays. There is always some "wasted" space between round pots. Much less of that with square pots.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America