Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: How long from offset to blooming size?

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9408323

So I've saved a couple of the biggest offsets from my Apple Blossom. They're a little over an inch in diameter, and growing fairly happily (I think) in a small clay pot, together. But not *too* crowded. How long will it take to grow them to blooming size, given that they live in Minnesota and can't get months and months of lots of heat? Though I can supply pretty nice conditions from May to September, of course. This is more a case of horticultural curiosity and personal challenge, than of saving money on buying bulbs.

Oh, and PS re offsets - other plants are developing a few here and there too. Should I remove those, as a general rule, when re-potting?
bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9413413

I'd give them at least 3 years, maybe more. If you are trying to encourage the bulb to bloom next winter, you probably would want to remove the offsets.
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

February 10, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9414143

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America