Homemade dog food

Mendon, NY(Zone 6a)

Does anyone else make their own dog food. We feed our dogs twice a day; just bagged food in the morning and bagged food mixed with homemade at night. We were paying 2.50 a can prior to this but found a great recipe online about a year ago.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our dog when I was growing up on the farm got homemade dog food. It was called table scrapes.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Daw4220 ~ what is your recipe?

Thanks ~ I will check it out.

CountryGardens ~ our farm dog was served table scraps too. Only problem was with nine kids, there weren't many leftovers.

My folks supplemented with milk (dairy farm) and dry dog food. Our dog was always a herding dog so was taken care of and amazingly they lived lengthy lives.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ours were just dogs, barked for no reason, chased cars, & other mischief.

Ahhh... what dogs are good for! lol

I have a pair of them right now except they don't chase cars, they chase armadillos instead.

Daw4220. I read through those recipes to feed the dogs. I have to say I am feeding two big dogs, about 75 pounds each. I think buying the groceries to fix the dog food for these boys would be more expensive than buying the dog food I use.

I have found over many years of raising/breeding Labs that it is best to feed a quality dry dog food. You can serve a smaller portion which will result in less waste to clean up. It also keeps the dogs healthy. And financially, I think I come out ahead. Cheaper dog foods have so much filler that I had to feed more volume. I rarely feed canned but the boys do get leftovers mixed in with dry on occasion. Trying hard not to spoil them with their daily meal.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. Thanks for sharing the recipe link. I will pass it on to a friend that has a smaller dog.

Mendon, NY(Zone 6a)

Both our dogs are over 80lbs. I serve only dry (Wellness brand) in the morning and half dry and half homemade in the evening. The canned food we were using mixed with dry was 2.50 a can. This recipe is about 65 cents for the same portion.

That is good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

My dog only eats raw meat and raw bones.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

My dogs only eats other dogs lol no the golden horde only eats dry dog food. No bones because they seem to fight when one finishes before the other. Those two 100 pound boys never try to fight with the 61 pound sweet Jenny 007 but they will have a go at each other over bone ownership.

Hi Mrs Colla long time no see.

Bernie I am surprised man kept dogs as pets when you were a boy lol.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Ernie! You are correct! Nice to bump into you!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Mrs colla the Canadian dog is doing well and I don't think he could have gone to a better home. His owner is still wildly in love with him and that's nice. I have you to thank for helping with the initial matchmaking lol.

Pics left to right.
Andy right and 007 He was trying to beat up on her baby lol she is giving away 40 pounds and look at that face lol .

Otis in the arms of the transporter you got to take him to the airport.

A baby that needed a little help.

Miss Money Penny with her human baby. Sadly I wanted to keep her what a pistol. A friend of my sisters boyfriend showed up after all the pups were gone with a sob story I gave in and even lowered the price to half of what I told them two weeks prior. Double sad turns out hubby was allergic to her so they got rid of her . At least they said she got a good home on a lake with room to run and they visit her all the time as they are friends with the people who own her now.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2013 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed Thumbnail by eweed
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Ernie, thanks for the update. I love to enable a heavenly match like when dogs and humans connect! You have a heart of gold, to give her her Otis!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh Ernie hadn't seen some of those pictures before. Love 007 protecting her baby! I bet he backed down fast! LOL!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Ves LOL she gets in his face all the time he may be the alpha male but she is the alpha ruler when it comes to her baby. Babe is almost five years old now and she is still right on it. Sorry to say these are my last dogs. When they are gone I am done. I have been spoiled having mostly 2 to 4 goldens at a time. I just don't want to leave one behind.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Ernie that is so sad that life has to be like that. Maybe an older rescue? I know probably not at this time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images