Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: FLU!!! SEASON..

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9409023

Ok, I didn't get a flu shot, and for once I caught the flu for the Superbowl- strangely enough I found a huge majority of the people around me also got slam dunked for the Superbowl...how is the head counton those who took their shots and are sti one step ahead of the flu?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 5, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9409025

Ok got the shot no flu yet

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9409070

I had a flu shot last year. No flu, so far, but, I'm on the second bout of a very bad sinus infection. First time I was in bed for 5 days straight, about 3 weeks ago. Going to get a flu shot this week. We've got 2 months of flu season left, and Houston is still pretty infectious!

Before this year, I haven't had the flu or so much as a sniffle during cold and flu season, since I started taking the shot regularly about 4 years ago. Seems to work for me.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9409104

Good for you guys! My flufever burned out after 24 hrs, but this sinusitis that attacked after is a misery! I may have to consider a shot this next year..
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9409238

Im sick in bed with something that started with a sore throat. I think I caught it at the office as the receptionist went home last week and out for 4 days Im not going to talk about the flu bec I am superstitious!!

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9409279

I always get the shot. Knock on wood, but I have had very few colds and no flu for many years now. I lost a kidney to cancer 24 years ago so I drink water by the gallons, too. I think that always improves your health. After saying this, I will probably keel over tomorrow. LOL
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 5, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9409550

My dental hygenist told this to me several years she said "when you finish brushing your teeth pour a shot of Listerine into your tooth brush cup and re brush the teeth with listerine dipping your brush into the cup -brush -spit- repeat supposed to help with the tartar build up but I haven't had a cold since I started this routine ,,My theory is that since 90+% of all germs that enter your body enters thru your mouth...Make any sence?????

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9409631

No flu shot and no flu for me, BUT my boss and his family all had the flu. I also work with the public. Go figure!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9409727

Being on the road no alcohol allowed in gargle- but I swear by Crest Prohealth, and rinse toothbrush out after every use with the Crest. Food grade antiseptics are a must on the road. flu- my fanny started hurting the first hour out with a lower back ache that crawled to my neck, shot a headache across temples and fever went to 104* and felt really comfortable. I parked and ran ppwk, went to stand up and my 18 wheeler tried to fall over drunk. I decided I was goin to bed and when I would try to sit up would try to go into dry heaves. No Problem bed is a nice warm still place. I stayed abed 34 hrs before I decided to quit bein lazy and went after the 7up. But I hate sinusitis. I haste my rear si.uses trying to drown me and it wears.me.out. Think I have O'D on alka stzers now

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9410044

Be careful on the road Kitt. I am sure you are wishing you were home when you feel so bad.

All I can say is I get flu shot every year and have for about ten years. Knock on wood not had the flu. But the most important thing you can do is wash your hands...wash your hands...wash your hands. People still sneeze and cough into their hand then grab door handles, toilet handles, handrails and etc. Then we can carry the germs to our eyes, nose, and mouth. Just think about how many times we touch our phones, car keys, purse handles, wallets, etc. WASH your hands frequently!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9410084

Wash your hands after handling money, too! That stuff is nasty and no telling where it's been! At work, we keep a bottle of hand sanitizer behind the register area for employees to use when handling money.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9410639

Picked up the flu bug on an airplane at the end of December and enjoyed it for New Years day. Tough fever for the first few days.

I quit drinking coffee, was hungry but when food was in front of me, I didn't want to eat. I rarely drink soda but that was almost all I lived on.

I never took a day off of work but found the only thing that made me feel better was to sleep. I'd sleep in the evening, get up go to bed and sleep soundly all night. Normally if I doze early on, I am awake at night... not with the flu.

No meds, only cough syrup when needed and a Sinucleanse sinus flush once or twice daily when needed.

Kittriana I hate to tell you it took me almost all of January to feel better. Still having sinus drainage and BTW, no flu shot for me. I never have.

DH always gets a flu shot. Thankfully with his health problems, he didn't have to share my dose of it.

We work with the public but I am rarely sick. I do wash hands before eating, try not to rub eyes or nose until hands get washed.

For me, the answer is stay off airplanes! Kristi

edited to add... wishing you a speedy recovery. Same to anyone else enjoying the misery!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 7:08 PM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9410657

Yup. All of the above. Was wishin I could get a breathin treatment- rattle rattle. I told my honey I felt as tho I had been tear gassed- eyes runnin, blowin buckets of snot... he laughed at me and then went to lecturing to see whatI might have forgotten to pu - cran ras in my list of juices to pu, and a craving for chicken soup homemade broth. but yeah, food sounds good till you try to eat it and well, hmmm. I carry germx just cuz I have Seen these drivers never wash hands. Shudder. Our restrooms took doors off hinges aftrr having 5th wheel grease to scrub left behind by working drivers. count so far saysflu shots are preventing flu. Encouraging.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9412734

Men are the worst about not washing their hands for sure, sorry guys but it's the truth! On airplanes I understand you breathe the same air from the whole trip; it just circulates through the plane's system.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9412846

Sinusitis is the worst! did get to come home when I delivered in Houston yesterday...whew! 82* on the dash, but 115* in the truck!. I am still lung congested, but otherwise energy recovering slowly. Got to run fertilize before I go on duty, my jonquils are blooming! Any one else for the count of shot-no shots? Be careful guys.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America