Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Where do you buy seed potatoes?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Biker1
McLean, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9409052

Last year I bought 4 kinds of seed potatoes from Johnny's. They looked terrible? Some didn't even have eyes! Does anyone have a good source for seed potatoes? I live in McLean (Fairfax County), VA. This area has become so la-de-dah that Southern States closed down. Although we have a few good garden centers, I have to drive to Manassas for Southern States.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9409067

Potato Garden
Ronniger Potato Farm LLC
Milk Ranch Specialty Potatoes LLC
Two companies - one new name - Potato Garden

http://www.potatogarden.com/index.html

This is where a bunch of us buy our seed potatoes!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9409069

I've only ordered seed potatoes once, but I had a good experience with Potato Garden: http://www.potatogarden.com/

EDIT: ha ha -- Linda beat me to it!

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 9:08 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9409071

^:-)^! LOL, "That's what friends are for!"
Biker1
McLean, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9409149

THANKS! Just the help I needed.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9409851

Don't know if you have these nearby but here, Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, even the Wmart garden centers handle seed potatoes. I have also purchased at a local feed store but we are more rural.

I like "hands on" purchasing as I can select the taters or at least look at them more closely than when mail ordering.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9409854

I also buy regularly from Potato Garden. The thing I found is that when the tomatoes arrive they may not have too many eyes but I order them to be delivered early enough so they will form them before I plant. If I plant potatoes with no eyes I don't know if they will develop them at all but if I let them develop before planting I am assured a better crop. This developing can take several weeks in some cases. This year I ordered from the Maine Potato Lady (www.mainepotatolady.com/) . I had good luck with her potatoes two years ago and she has some varieties I wanted to try so I ordered again this year.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
4:00 AM

Post #9409922

Garadore, if I am not misunderstanding your post, eyes and sprouts are two different things.

Eyes are the indentions where sprouts will develop from.

They won't develop eyes after you receive them. Kristi
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9410345

Podster,

You are right. But sometimes the eyes are not all that big and do develop enough to sprout. However, I do remember getting some German Butterball a couple of years ago from Milk Ranch, I think - it was one of the above) with no eyes at all. Two were quite large and it surprised me that they had none! So that year they did not sprout. Thank you for clarifying my error so others are not confused!!

I have never really looked that carefully! At what point do potatoes develop eyes? I just assumed if you left them sitting around eventually they would. I must be more observant in the future!!

The bottom line is that I never plant potatoes that haven't sprouted somewhat just to be sure they are viable.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 6, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9410741

one of the nice things about living in rural Oklahoma at tater planting time is every store has seed potatos for sale some will have more than a dozen varieties
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9411103

I asked the same question last year, and someone suggested I try a local food co-op. We have one here called Good Foods Co-op. The seed potatoes we got from them were healthy and fantastic!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9411606

Love being able to buy then at the local feed store. I can't imagine the shipping on potatoes.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9411723

My husband and I love yellow potatoes. The only variety I have seen offered locally is Yukon Gold but there are so many other wonderful ones. I like the idea of checking out the local feed stores. I know my Agway only has Yukon Gold but there are a number of organic farms, Co-ops and CSA's popping up all around so maybe I'll be lucky. The shipping does indeed add to the cost but like my tomatoes I just consider them my Million Dollar Potatoes and indulge myself for the great flavor!! In checking around, The Potato Lady in Maine has lower prices than Potato Garden and shipping about the same, maybe a bit less. That's who I ordered from this year. [HYPERLINK@www.mainepotatolady.com]

But it is cheaper for her to ship to PA compared to Texas whereas the Potato Garden might ship cheaper to Texas than to PA! Both are excellent vendors, regardless.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9412220

I just can't justify buying potatoes that need to be shipped when can buy them at a store I pass everyday. I'll look where the feed/hardware store buys them. I start all my other veggies myself.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 9, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9413609

JUST TO SATIFY MY CURIOSITY how much are seed potatos where y'all get yours was in Atwoods farm and ranch store today and they were $.69 per pound they had 12 varieties I may be wrong but I thionk they were higher last year if memory is right they were $.89 last year

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9413694

I can't remember. If they still have them I'll check next time I'm there, which could be tomorrow.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9415932

I haven't ordered potatos since I lived in North Dakota - I used Ronnigers, mentioned above. Looking at their website, it looks like they combined with another company and changed their name to "Potato Garden", mentioned above.

I like the little seed potatos better than the chopped up mature potatos.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 21, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9426530

all of the seed potatos at Atwoods Farm and Ranch store were from Minn. The Pontiac Reds were predominate as they were available in 50lbs bags and they had a lot of the bags
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2013
10:54 PM

Post #9427472

Grits you ask how much the potatoes were. They are 1.39/lb. I better plant the dang things.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 22, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9427623

All of the seed potatos at Atwoods were $.69 per pound at the local they were $.89 at least yesterday I found a sourse for Perlite in Benton Ar, Just thought to throw that in before I forgot LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9428436

Thanks, Grits! LOL I live in an area where the prices are higher bc there is no competition BUT it's cheaper then driving further. As it is I'm 6 miles from this place. Dang it's cold!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 23, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9428878

24 here this morning yesterday I had a eye Doctor Appt in Fort Smith Ar 66 miles away and there was till a lot of snow hanging around at least we have bare ground
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9429118

This weather is crazy.
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

February 24, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9430280

I refuse to buy seed potatoes from any mail-order catalog. The cost and especially shipping is enough to turn me off. I buy my seed spuds from a local farm store. The selection isn't always that great, but they're certified disease free and I get to pick and chose those with the most eyes. I like to store them in a room-temp. dark closet for two weeks or so to sprout before I plant them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America