-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9409240

First, I have never liked either okra & eggplant. But I'm going to give both of these veggies a try in my garden this year. The only way I've ever eaten them is the way my Mom fixed them: cooked down to mush with ham & seasonings added.

I've looked at a lot of recipes & for okra, most of them are for frying them or including them in soups/gumbo. Eggplant Parmesan looks interesting & I'll give that a try.

What are some other recipes for someone who hates okra & eggplant?

Jo-Ann
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9410182

Eggplant is good simply sliced and brushed with a little olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and grilled. We do a mixed grill basket of veggies.

Okra is good in a stir fry veggie skillet, start with a little olive oil, garlic, onion, peppers (sweet or warm), add sliced okra, then a small summer squash, sweet corn and add a diced tomato or two at the end. It's kind of my way to use up the odds and ends of homegrown or farmer's market veggies. A generous grating of Parmesan over the top. I use some fresh herbs, basil, etc. It's a really flexible dish.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9410259

We do the same here on the grill and include okra with the same seasoning for just a few minutes. It is not slimy prepared this way. We grill lots extra eggplant and okra while we're at it. I use it cut in strips on top of salads with grilled red peppers and fresh mozzarella and make baba ganoush and ratatouille from the extra eggplant. There are many recipes on line. Both freeze well. We grill extra okra too. It makes a flavorful cold snack and a good salad topper.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9410441

I don't like okra either, but a friend at the Farmer's Market gave me some last summer. I sliced them, added a tad of olive oil just enough to barely coat them, and a variety of seasonings. Some were cheesy, some salty, some spicy. Then they went into my dehydrator until crispy.

They made a great snack!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9410923

I just love okra. Im for sure going to try the stir fry idea above. I eat it mostly fried. I dont like it heavily breaded tho. I dry the okra and cut it right into some flour, to coat, so it wont have time to release any 'slime'. Just fry it up. I cook the pods whole..either grilled, or just throw them on top of any other dish that I have cooking and steam them up. They dont take long. Altho I cant make it, I have had delish pickled okra.
The key, of course, is not to let the pods get big and woody. Bigger certainly isnt better when it comes to okra.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9424716

Sorry to be so slow in getting back to this thread. Okra sliced, shaken in a bag with corn meal (no eggs, no batter) and put in a skillet with a bit of bacon drippings and some olive oil, coarse salt and pepper (onion optional) and sauteed.
Okra raw, (small okra, 4-5 inch, like any other raw veggie, can even serve with a dill dip)
The obvious - okra pickles! (the hotter the better, a couple of red peppers per pint help).
Fortunately we learned about okra before encountering the "slimy" version of it on a trip to Georgia, so I never developed the aversion.
We enjoy both okra and eggplant.
Darius, we had never experienced dried okra until this winter. At the open air market in Charleston a vendor had dehydrated okra with what I imagine is an olive oil and / or butter and lightly seasoned..it's wonderful! I'm still savoring the remainder of it and trying to imagine recreating it.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9424725

When we eat fried okra I make mine like Edens...no egg, no batter, just seasoned cornmeal. That was the only way I knew to cook it besides pickles for many years until I came up with the idea of cooking it on the grill. I was looking for ways to make it less caloric. We grow varieties of okra that can get pretty large and not be woody but generally smaller okra is the most tender.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9432403

It's contact with any liquid that make okra go gelatinous. Which is why you should pat it dry before cutting it up. If you're sauteeing it for gumbo, add a capful of vinegar to the pan and it will not "slime".

When sauteeing it, keep it moving in the pan until it doesn't "rope" (make long slimy strands). Or, you can slice the pods into 1/2" pieces, lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet/baking pan coated with a bit of olive oil, and them run under your broiler. WATCH IT. Turn the pieces over and brown the other side. Then, introduce them to your gumbo or what have you.

You can also season the pieces and pop the toasted piece directly from the pan into your mouth (after cooling, of course)!

P.S. I grew up eating the mushy eggplant with ham and seasonings. We added shrimp and stewed tomatoes, let it cook down a bit, then served it over steamed white rice, with a sided of candied sweet potatoes, and pass the Hot Sauce, please...LOL!

YUMMIE!

Linda

GREAT THREAD!!!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9435695

Okra, threaded onto skewers and grilled, with just a little oil and some Cajun seasonings. Also, love it in Gumbo. Eggplant, I usually make ratatouille, which uses all the other veggies from the garden, (onion, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) I have a crock pot version that is easy.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9435699

Jo-Ann, didn't notice you were from New Orleans. Go to the Northshore, and have an Eggplant Parmesan Po-boy from Ponchartrain Po-Boys. To die for! Bring napkins, or wear a bib. You will never look at eggplant the same again!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9435708

Yeah, and go down to Mother's on Poydras and have a Muff, for me!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9444552

http://pinterest.com/pin/255016397622129696/

Saw this on pintrest this morning and thought of this thread...lookin yummy.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9444572

OMG, gardenglory. That looks so so good. That's one okra recipe I'll have to try.
Jo-Ann

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9448351

Eggplant recipe: slice the eggplants, brush with olive oil and either grill or roast in the oven. Layer with roasted tomato sauce, carmelized onions & goat cheese (several layers of each) in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with a little parm on top. Bake for 30min at 350degF. Oh so good. Kinda a lower fat version of eggplant parm.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America