Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9409685

We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292419/
Lots of great stuff on the last thread.

We're on the verge of spring here! Suddenly a flock of Robins descended on the pond. Later in the day they were eating berries on the holly. A Common Flicker Joined them and some starlings too.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9409731

Great shots Mrs. Ed. So nice to see the Robins in February.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 6, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9409894

Great start to the thread, Mrs Ed. Could you please send me that egg shaped rock?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9409938

HA! Stay away from my Rocks you!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9409973

Thank you Mrs. Ed for the nice start to a new thread with the lovely Robins. Hahahaha, Margaret. You've spotted the rock, but I'm closer to Mrs. Ed. lol,lol. Here is my contribution for those of us that are looking forward to Spring. Not so much of the juvie bird, but the buds on the tree branches! Common Spring!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9410322

Mocking Bird enjoying home suet with berries in it.

Female Cardinal looking pretty.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9410408

Beautiful GG. I'd love to have a mockingbird in the yard. I know everyone says they are bullies, but I've never had one here so would be nice.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9410415

And THEN… the flock of Robins moved around to the other side of the house and devoured all the Holly Berries. They had help from a Common Flicker, Northern Cardinals, Cedar Waxwing, and piggie European Starlings. The berries are all gone!

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9410490

Oh my goodness Marna, I love that first shot--it would make a wonderful magazine cover shot!

They ate all of those berries!! Pigs!!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

February 6, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9410603

The Robins and Cedar Waxwings usually clean up all the berries here before heading North. I have not seen very many the last few days, maybe they have already headed out. My Holly tree is still full of berries...the more for the Mockingbird, I guess.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9411093

Super photos in the last thread everyone.

Mrs Ed, thanks for the new start. I'd love to have your whole pond! The snow looks so beautiful with your birds. I do hope since you and I both have the robins that it doubles the chances of an earlier spring.

Lily, what a great capture of your hawk. Sorry that it's probably chasing off the little birds though.

Granny, love your mocker and cardinal. I've never seen one of my mockingbirds ever going near the suet. Guess there's enough berries around on the trees.

Here's some ring-necked ducks, some snow geese, a bald eagle and some ross's geese-all found at a nearby wildlife refuge.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9411412

Mrs_Ed, ~ Great opening photos!

Lily-love ~ Nice picture of the hawk with the buds on the branch, I enjoy seeing him ( Though I know what that could mean)

GrannyGrunt ~ Nice pics, Love the Mockingbirds! They are such characters! Cardnals always look so pretty, I like the picture of this one on the stump!!

Mrs_Ed ~ I've only seen the mockingbirds being bullies around the mealyworm feeder, If I don't chase him off after letting him eat some, He will keep the Bluebirds at bay and eat all the worms.
I have hollie berries, But, I don't see the robins on them much going for the berries, They pretty much scour the grass here.

ducbucln, Great photos, I especially love the eagle in the tree shot!
2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

February 7, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9411742

Nice shot of the eagle, Duc
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9412116

RB Woodpecker, Chickadee.

I placed some home made suet on the sill of the back porch. Tons of interested takers. LOL

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9414403

Granny, I just love your photos of the woodie-such a pretty one. That dee is a cutie too, looks like your suet is a winner for sure.

I'm having fun with the house finches-here's a couple.
Still have three purple finches here too.
A not-so-nice photo of a bald eagle with it's lunch. I'll spare you the photos of the eagle actually picking at the poor duck and flying back and forth in front of me to show it off.
And a Lesser Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9414468

Great shots Duc. Gotta love those Eagles! It is showing you what a great hunter he/she is.

Yes, that suet is a real winner, also shows off that the back porch needs painted come spring.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9414671

Lovely shots everyone. Mrs-Ed great start with the Robin, feels good to see them. Hope it tell of an early spring on the way.

A few from the pass few months.

Downy wp, Cooper's hawk, Pigeon galore, Black-capped Chickadee, and Hairy wp.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9415636

oh my gosh...getting behind!

Great shots of the Robins...I was seeing lots just a few weeks ago here.

Wish our hawk would sit still...it just passes thru in rush all the time! lol

Jealous that duc sees an eagle at the drop of a hat!! :)

I too wish for a Mockingbird...Have had one visit from time to time but not any regulars.

So great, job Marna, Lily & burn & GG!!

I am getting close to being out of safflower seed...probably by the end of this week or so. Still have a couple of weeks of Grey Striped Sunflower seed. I can't wait to see what stay around and maybe even if something new may show up in the spring or summer!!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9415679

Granny, I'm in love with that red-bellied wp of yours. I love all your photos but that wp is one I'd love to see in person.

Burn, great photos of all your birds. Love the bill on that hairy. Yikes, that's a bunch of pigeons.

Nanny, I'm getting anxious for my springs birds to arrive too. All but three robins have left our neighborhood and I'm not sure there are many berries left on any tree.

This bewick's wren was waiting for a chance to get to the peanuts.
Here's a dark-eyed junco-still lots of them around but the weather is getting warmer so they'll soon be leaving.
This is a California towhee that loves the nuts and the peanut butter log.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln      

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9415723

Like the others, I'm falling behind over here! Really great shots everyone, I'm enjoying them all!!

Grannygrunt, Would love to hear about suet recipe!

ducbucln, Love the Eagle photos! I have a large white hawk here who has been flying through quite a bit but I've been missing the shots because I've been recently sick and also don't know if my equipment will get a good high flight shot or not, But, I'm going to try for it eventually. ~ Does anyone know if the male hawk carries nesting material along with the female? I would think he doesn't, Which leads me to believe that the White Hawk I have here is a female as I usually always see her carrying nest material in the spring.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9415763

Few photos... Very cloudy, Grey, Overcast day ...

Goldfinch getting a drink..

Bluebird on top of the arbor ..

Red bellied woodpecker at one of the feeders ... Second photo, He's shoveing the seeds out everywhere.

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9415827

Great pics. everyone. IRIS, you've lots of activity there where you're! The RBWP's shovering the seeds is a nice capture. I guess he was looking for shelled peanuts. Those are high maintenance birds lol.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9415838

Wonderful pictures folks. Seeing them helps clear some of the clouds away on this dreary rainy day.

Duc, that is not the same woodpecker; I have a number of pairs of these birds that live here. None materialized today, so we will see what tomorrow brings. LOL

Iris, the suet recipe--well, it is not a carefully measured recipe. LOL I make enough for six very large pinecone feeders; two each for two of my neighbors and two for myself. I had some left over and that is what you see in these shots.

Okay: Approximate measurements: 2 pound of hog lard (not Crisco); 3 pound tub of peanut butter (any kind); fruit, this batch has raisins, dried cranberries, dried currants, peanut hearts (pieces work as well), corn meal for filler. You can add oat meal, or really anything you wish, as long as you start with the lard and tons of peanut butter, they will eat it; in fact, they will gobble it. It attracts a number of different visitors. This is not for warm weather use as it needs to be refrigerated (I stuck the pine cones into the freezer) before it is offered, and would melt readily in warm temps.

NOTE: I ALSO INCLUDED FREEZE-DRIED CRICKETS AND FREEZE-DRIED MEAL WORMS TO THIS MIXTURE. These really attract the Wrens, Chickadees and Titmice.

I just warm the lard and the peanut butter until I can mix it together, not until it reaches a runny consistency. Good luck.

Now, from yesterday, WB Nuthatch, Cardinal, Titmouse, Blue Jay and another Titmouse.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 7:45 PM

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9415854

Lily_love, Thanks! The rbwp usually goes to the store bought suet cakes, But, When at the feeders, He usually always shoves the seeds out, Which I think he's after the nuts too, But, The odd part is, He does it in the platform feeder sometimes too where he can pretty much pick what he wants.
Do have plenty for birds here right now, Got .. Wrens, Doves, Bluebirds, Mockingbird, finches,cardnals,Blue Jays, junco's, titmouse, nuthatch, rbw, downy woodpecker, and hairy woodpecker. Once in a bluemoon in the early spring, I get a indigo bunting, I am so hoping that he visits this year and that I can get a good picture of him!

GrannyGrunt, loved the photos, Especially of the Blue Jay, I have them here now, But, They are so skitzy here right now that I can't get a shot of one, I barely get it in close enough to get a good view.
Thanks so much for the recipe and info on it!! I am surely going to give it a try!!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 5:25 PM

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9416798

Had a robin and a male Blue Bird out front today in our River Birch and I think I saw a Grackle out back!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9417749

yay Nanny. Think Spring!

Here are pictures of common redpolls. I've had a pair for a couple of weeks now. They are adorable and appreciate the hull-less sunflowers.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 13, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9418176

Watching and enjoying everyone's shots. I might be able to add a few of my own in a couple of weeks.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9418334

Thats great ~ Springs coming nanny!!
Nice pics of the redpolls mrs. Ed!
Look forward to your pics MargaretK
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9419995

New bird for my yard ... Brown Nuthatch?? ~ And a goldfinch -chickadee

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9420003

House finches, Siskin? and titmouse

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9420009

Bluebirds at there feeding bowl ~ And checking out there nestbox

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9420011

Forgot thename on the first bird .. next is a cardnal

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS         

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9420104

[quote="IRIS"]Forgot thename on the first bird [/quote]

Song Sparrow

Resin
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9420472

Thanks Resin, I was thinking chipping sparrow for some reason.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9421156

Nice pics Iris!

Yup sure did see a Common Grackle this week!! Also the White-breasted Nuthatch and the Pileated Woodpecker from back on the 2nd.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9421407

Loved the pics Nanny!! Wish we had a pileated wp here!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9421599

Lovely pics. Nan. Do your WBNHs nest in your nest box? Iris, I too would love to see the Pileated WP here. I too have one lone Brown headed Nuthatch visiting my suet feeder at intervals. Your pic. of one is very very nice. By the way, is that a grafted weeping mulberry tree ? My yard birds love to perch on my tree as well. I too have a hard time differentiate between the various sparrows. These I think maybe a flock of chipping Sparrows?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9421617

partial albino northern cardinal at my feeder this morning.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9421636

Bruce, nice partial albino northern cardinal. It's nice to see you posting.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9421715

I don't have a nest box...have thought about putting up one for the wrens...but decided against it.

I have seen a few Sandhill Cranes passing over. One day had just a group of 3 which is very unusual.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9422024

Lily_love, Thanks for the comment on the brown headed nuthatch. The weeping mullberry is not grafted ~ All the birds love this tree especially the hummingbirds in the summer. I can tell different bird species apart usually, But, I do have a hard time when it comes to the sparrowy looking ones, I hoestly can't even tell you if those are chipping sparrows or not in your photo ( I think they are though) ~ I like the platform feeder you use.

BCH521, Thanks for sharring your photo of the partial albino northern cardinal, It's interesting!

Nanny, I would be lost without a nestbox here, I get a lot of activity with them and feel I would miss so much if I didn't have any. Wish we had cranes, We do get herons flying over once in a while though.

This is a cardnal in yesterdays snow sqwual ...

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9425358

Hi everyone,
I can't believe how long it's been since I visited this thread (or anything else in DG, for that matter) other than a very quick visit!
It's so easy to get caught up in "this and that" and the next thing you know the months have gone by. I have an awful lot of catching up to do.

Wow, you guys have posted tons of GORGEOUS pictures. It's kind of amazing when you've been gone for a while to go back and really see the variety of birds everybody has taken pics of.

I haven't taken too many bird pics this Winter so far. Don't really know why since we have birds everywhere (I've taken lots of deer pics, though...posted a few in a thread I started a couple days ago in the Wildlife forum).

This pic isn't very good, but I thought it was fun because it showed a Male Cardinal, Male House Finch, Female Downy WP and the "rear end" of a Deer all in one picture.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9425509

Guess I got behind doing "this and that" too. Great photos, although I feel sorry for all of you in that cold snow.

It's got to be close to spring, even though we had a dusting of snow/hail yesterday. The mourning doves are really beginning to show their "stuff".
Here's a pair of purple finches.
A pair of canada geese.
an acorn woodpecker checking out his storage of acorns.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9426184

nutsaboutnature, Always extra special when there are deer added in!

ducbucln, Very nice! Love that first, Really looks like he's showing off!

Cool and overcast today, Looked like it was going snow! ~ Went out and got a few shots though ~ Mockingbird guarding his shrubs, RB woodpecker getting supply of nuts, Downy Woodpecker at the suet, Titmouse on the mullberry tree, 2-Titmouse on the mullberry tree

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9426188

Chickadee on mullberry, Chickadeee on mullberry-2, Mourning Dove on feeder

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS      

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9426191

And todays Bluebird shots ~

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9426472

Fabulous shots all. Iris, love that Bluebird.

Here are a few of my suet piggies.

White Breasted Nuthatch and Carolina Wren.

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9426741

I love to look at all these pictures. So many birds right now! Here are a couple of them that visit me each day. House finch and Pine sisken and a handsome cardinal.

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ         

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9426748

I spent a little more time at Wheeler national wildlife refuge yesterday. I went looking for the sandhill and whooping cranes and found these guys. The cranes have moved out because of so much rain. The ducks really loved it though! haha

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ      

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9427078

The mockers must have heard me the other day...was walking down to a neighbors and right there in front of me was a mockingbird! Have seen lots of killdeer in the fields last week out by the schools.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9427091

LOL, it was "mocking" you Nanny!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9427454

I agree with grannygrunt nanny ~ It was mocking you!! lol!! I see killdeer every once in a while in the summer, I enjoy watching them!
Grannygrunt .. " Suet Piggies" ~ Had to laugh at that one!!
JulieQ, Sometimes those cranes and C Geese look so regal in there own way.
Great photos all!!

Got on here a little late but heres a few of mine for today ... Mourning Dove flying to the feeder, Robins at the birdbath, Titmouse on the fence, chickadee at the birdbath.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
9:39 PM

Post #9427456

Finch at birdbath .. The rst are the Bluebirds ..

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9427989

Iris, your bird photos are adorable. Those bluebirds sure are beautiful.

GrannyG, love that little wren of yours. Looks like it could use a little low calorie suet-so sweet.

JulieQ, cute photos of your birds too. Sorry you missed the sandhill cranes.

Nanny, lol the mocker. Glad you are seeing killdeer.

We had four bald eagles flying around our home for several days now. The two juveniles love to wrestle in the air.
We've lived here 11 years and yesterday was only the second time that an eagle has landed just below our house. I got a nice closeup out of it.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9428036

Great shots of the bald eagles ( I would love to see them like that, Your so lucky!) Great close up shot indeed!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9428070

N.A.N. It's so nice to see you posting again, GG, enjoyed your Wrens and titmouse savoring the home made suet cake. JulieQ, your residential birds are pretty same as mine, have you noticed Cardinals begun to feed one another? They sure are getting ready for nesting season! Nanny, lol about your 'mocker' that mocks. Duc, those are some awesome close up of the Eagles, wow!

I don't have much to share, but just one of the sparrows.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9428790

@Lily...I think we have pretty much the same birds except the water birds since I am not on a lake. I have not noticed them feeding each other, but they sure are singing a lot.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9430067

Lily, cute sparrows. That feeding tray sure is interesting.

The nuttall's woodpecker is continuing to come regularly for the peanut butter.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9430366

Thanks duc, the feeding tray was bought from one of the big box stores. It's designed so that the seeds are situated below the screen, thus birds can readily get to them, but chipmonks and squirrels can't reach the seeds as easily. I don't get to see the nuttall's woodpeckers down east, so it's a treat to see yours.

@JulieQ, yes birds are singing as if to say "Spring is here, spring is here". lol

Oh uh! My songbirds are having a tough time with this King of the garden today! This mockingbird apparently has discovered various feeders in the backyard and was chasing every single bird away from various feeders today! Here at the mealworm feeder, although it can't gain access to the mealies, but no one dares to get close while the mocker is standing guard. King for the day that's for sure!

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love      

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9432170

Lily, that feeder sounds good, thanks. I feel sorry for your songbirds with that mocker around. Our mocker is still guarding the dried berries on one tree so my little birds are still safe. Cute photos.

Here's a couple purple finches.
A pine siskin.
My one rufous hummingbird that arrived two days ago.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9432323

Waxwing in the garden

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 27, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9433551

Pouring rain last night & this morning. It has not stopped the hen cardinal from feasting on the dropped seed from the tube feeder.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9434604

We've had a couple of days of snow.
Trying to scatter food around for all the ground feeding birds & critters, but it's just impossible to fill everyone's belly...as it is, we buy 50lb bags of everything and stack them up in the garage. The feeders don't get used quite as much at this time of year. Even many of the feeder birds seem to spend more time on the ground...except for the Woodpeckers...they're constantly eating suet.

Amazing shots, everyone!!

Duc, I love all your pics...I don't know where to start, but the Dove with it's chest puffed out is pretty cool, the Eagles are fantastic and seeing a Hummer in Winter is really special!!

Wow, IRIS...so many wonderful pics! I Love that white suet feeder & your Bluebirds are beautiful, but I love every one of your bird shots!

GrannyGrunt...adorable suet shots!

JulieQ...Your birds are so pretty!

Nanny, those are the times when I wish I had a camera handy, but cool you got to see them.

Kim, cute shot of the Sparrows & fortunately the "Bully Birds" seem to come & go.

Beautiful Waxwing, Resin!

IrisMA, I wonder if by now you have our snowstorm.

None of these pics came out great. It was almost Dusk & I was shooting between the slats of the vertical blinds on our patio door so I wouldn't scare the birds. Some of the shots have shadows from the blinds that were too close to completely crop away.

1) Female Cardinal and a couple of friends
2) American Tree Sparrow
3 & 4) Dark-eyed Juncos
5) American Tree Sparrow

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9434618

Lily_love, Nice pic of the sparrows, Interesting feeder, Gave me an idea to make one like that with a metal cage cover, I can't put food on the ground for the birds ( Though the woodpeckers seem to help out with dispersting the seeds sometimes) because there are too many squirrels here, So a feeder something like yours would help with that. The mocker here stands constant guard over a certain patch of berry shrubs, I was a bit surprised to see him actually try to scare off my dog the other day. The main feeders are about 20-25ft from where the mocker guards but the birds are not afraid to feed at that distance.

Ducbucin, Loved the photos, Especially the pic of the nuttall's woodpecker! We don't have those so it's a treat to see your photo

Resin, Nice pic of the waxwing! Love to see these particular birds! I know of a few places that they go and eat in abundance in the Spring, I'm hoping to get some good pic's of them this year!

nutsaboutnature, Thankyou for the nice compliment! ~ And I enjoyed your photos, You did pretty good for shooting at almost dusk and through vertical blinds!! Wish I could put food on the ground here, but, Can't do it with all the squirrels here, I think I'm going to make a feeder something like Lily-loves and then maybe I can put something at a lower level for them ( The Red bellied woodpecker usually makes sure that some seeds get scattered for the ground birds though as he chisels out the normal seeds to get to the nuts)
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9434655

IRIS, we have tons of Squirrels, too, so I sometimes try to "time" the food (yes, I really said that!). Both the Squirrels and the birds come in "waves"... then the Deer eat any food that's left out overnight except suet and food in screen-type feeders or with small holes, like nyger seed for the Goldfinches. But we feed everybody so the birds, squirrels, deer, opossums and whoever else shows up, get at least some food. We try to not think about how much we're actually spending since it's way too much. Another good time to feed the birds is just before Dusk. By then most of the Sqirrels have "tucked" themselves in for the night.

I bought one of those dog crates a while back at a flea market for about $10.00 (I think they retail for about $40.00). I think the spaces between the bars are large enough for the small ground feeding birds, but I haven't tried it yet. It won't fit the larger birds like Cardinals & Doves, but those birds will also come to the hanging feeders.

Like you, I've thought about different ways to feed the ground-feeding birds. My husband is the one who builds any feeder ideas we have. He built a couple of Peanut feeders for the Squirrels last Autumn that hang on two large trees The Squirrels love them, but we only fill them as an occasional treat. As soon as one Squirrel discovers that they're full, every Squirrel in the neighborhood shows up and they're empty in about two hours!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 28, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9434699

We have squirrels eating spilled feed from our tube feeder & use suet with red pepper as well as seeds to keep the squirrels off. I don't mind them on the ground, but hate them on a feeder. We do have a round baffle over the feeder. they used to jump straight onto the feeder from the tree, but D H sawed off a couple tree projections & they are not able to jump from higher up.

Titmice & cardinals are beginning to call & don't pay as much attention to the feeder the last couple days.
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9436728

Lots of birds again today. Cold weather brings them out.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9437233

nutsaboutnature wrote [quote] ... We try to not think about how much we're actually spending since it's way too much. [/quote] and [quote] I bought one of those dog crates a while back at a flea market ...[/quote] N.A.N, I can absolutely relate, our support of the wildlife surrounding our garden sure does add up. I'm glad you've mentioned of your creative idea of using the dog crate as a modified birds feeder. If the crate is made of weather resistance material, I think it would work well?
Agreed irisMA, those commercial made so called "baffles" only baffling those inventive squirrels just for a little while, eventually they'll figure their way around 'em. So placement of the feeders does help. Titmice and Cardinals down South are getting busy preparing themselves for nesting season, I think. I can't wait.

JulieQ, whoa! Is that snow that I'm seeing on your decking? We've but a few flurries here, that looks so pretty on your picture! And what a big flock of Goldfinches you have! I only saw a few here and there in the last couple weeks.
Mockingbird at the suet feeder and really enjoying it.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9437429

JulieQ, wonderful shot of all those birds! It looks like your Goldfinches are starting to change into their Spring feathers. Ours are still very pale, but we're pretty far north and are covered in snow.

Kim, cute pic of the Mocker! I don't know much about the commercial Squirrel baffles having never used them, but the baffles my husband made about 8 years ago have kept the Squirrels completely off our feeders. They're large and cone-shaped and since he's kept the template he can make new ones when they start looking crummy, but they last a really long time.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 3, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9437683

This Scrub Jay liked to get em 2 at a time...He was in a hurry to get the last one because it was 5' from me...upset because I wouldn't throw out anymore.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2013 2:11 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat      

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9438184

We had a light dusting of snow yesterday morning and today it's supposed to get up to 60F. Go figure. We put a rock on the deck table and sprinkled a little seed. It was fun to watch the goldies on the rock.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9438262

The cedar waxwings are migrating through. Saw these today.

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ         

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
11:49 PM

Post #9439169

nutsaboutnature, The squirrels and birds come in waves here too, I figure the groundfeeders get enough food with the seeds that get dropped, I surely do not encourage squirrels or other animals to be here, Love all nature, But, I live in a tight area of many homes now and people around here wouldn't appreciate my encouraging any other wildlife besides birds. I still get groundfeeding birds because of the dropped seeds, I was thinking of making a groundfeeder for them, but, Then again, I think it would add to the squirrel problem so I'm going to pass on it. Your lucky you live in an area that enables you the joy of so many.

irisMA, We have long white tubing on our feeder pole, The squirrels have a real hard time getting to the feeders with it, They make it once in a blue moon, But, Not often at all. We also put this tubing on our bluebird houses, It really helps so that the snakes and chippies can't climb the pole and get to the babies.

JulieQ, I really like the picture with the snow and so many finches!

Lily_love, nice pic of the mockingbird

adelbertcat, Enjoyed the pic's of the scrubjay, I think they are such pretty birds!

JulieQ, Enjoyed the pics, If the WW's are in your area they should be to mine sometime soon, I really look forward to seeing them again!!

At the feeders ... Bluebird - Male Cardnal, Female Cardnal and Titmouse, Starling, RB Woodpecker flying off with his nut.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
11:53 PM

Post #9439170

Pair of Mourning Doves
Mourning Doves with Downy Woodpecker
Mourning Doves and sparrows ( Looks like there having a conversation)
Cardnal on a branch

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
11:58 PM

Post #9439172

Bluebirds enjoying there breakfast untill a robin dicovered the worms and started emensely guarding the bowl which brought on a major chase between the Bluebirds and Robin, While she would chase one or two, Others would come in a steal a worm or two, She made quite a ruckus about it which in turn attracted others to the mealie bowl, One being a finch.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9439173

While everyones distracted from all the vocals and chasing, A wren sneaks in to get his share of worms
Bluebird waiting patiently to get back to the mealie bowl
Robin waiting patiently to get back to the mealie bowl
Wren at bowl
Wren at bowl

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9439262

Adel, I love your Western Jays. Eastern Jays are abundant here, but for some reason they don't usually hang around my garden as I wished they would. Love to see their antics. JulieQ, I'm delighted to learn the Cedar Waxwings are once again on the move, this time perhaps they're migrating back North? I need to keep my eyes peeled for them during their journey. IRIS love all those series of your back yard's birds. But I especially enjoyed the 'Doves and WP, and Sparrows having a conversation' lol. Them Doves are one of the most docile birds in the garden I've seen. I saw a mockingbird chasing a dove the other day. I couldn't believe it. In this case sizes doesn't matter when a mocker shows aggression toward Doves. Hah!

1. These pair of Northern friends the Canadian Geese are surely settling down south for the up coming breeding season I'm pretty sure of it. Soon I will see their babies in tow after momma and papa.
2. I'm watching the Cardinals and have noticed they begun to chase one another in the garden.
3. Purple Finch.
4. Redwinged Blackbirds are enroute on their Northern migratory journey, a few of them stopped by our backyard feeders to 'fuel up' during their trip.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9439665

Nice series Lily-love, I especially like the photo of the RW blackbird, Had one in the yard the other day but never got a picture of it.
The mockingbird actually tried chasing off my dog the other day when he was close to the shrubs he is guarding ( Smit bigger then a dove at 104lbs lol) Daring little souls they are!!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 9, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9443813

Does anyone know when the Hummingbirds will show up in Ohio? I want to hang my feeder out but don't want it to freeze.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 9, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9443881

Last I saw they were still in FL.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9444000

No Hummingbird here yet, though I'm looking forward to setting out my nectar feeders as well. Hi everyone. I guess Spring is getting closer to some of us in warmer zones here. Not many birds pics. 'cause most everyone is busy working in the garden?

1. Mockingbird, king of the the garden at the time being.
2. Not sure if this is a Hairy or Downy wp.
3 & 4. I spotted the Redheaded wp yesterday, it was a pleasant sighting.
5. Female Eastern Blue Bird.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 9, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9444264

Great photos. the woodpecker is a Hairy wp.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9444315

emptyeyes, here is last year's migration map. Last year they arrived during the week of March 19.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/2012maps.html

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9444747

I saw several RWB this morning!

Pileated Woodpecker and my last sightings of our Red-breasted Nuthatch. Photos taken on Feb. 20. bad Brown Creeper shot from Feb. 28.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9444754

Nice shots Nanny. It's difficult to get a good photo of a Brown Creeper since they blend in with their surroundings.

The waterfowl are heading back North as warmer weather starts moving into the mid-Atlantic states. The first two photos are of a Lesser Scaup. The third is of Tundra Swans followed by the Canada Geese. The last photo is of a huge flock of Snow Geese most likely on their way to Bylot Island in Northern Quebec which is a popular breeding grounds. Hunting seasons have been extended for the Snow Geese because the population has increased beyond sustainable numbers.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9444798

That second photo is a hoot. Always love to see your photos of the snow geese too. Amazing.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 10, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9444946

The hairy woodpeckers here can't compete with a piliated. They are nice, however.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9444999

We had some Hairy Woodpeckers thru the winter but they disappeared at some point. They are my favorites because they are so fussy and always squeaking! lol
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 10, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9445107

Nanny, I never get tired of seeing the Pileated Woodpecker! Love the Nuthatch; we had both types here this winter.

Wonderful shots Linth! Agree with Mrs Ed about the second shot. :-)
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9445148

No hummer here yet ( anxiously waiting) seen my first one on April 3rd last year.

Lilylove and Nanny, Great photos, Love the in flight one nanny!

linthicum, Grat photos! I have to go with #2 as the favorite, But all are great, wow, What a mass of birds in that last one, That must have been something to see in person!!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9445215

The first photo was taken on 1/29/13 at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. The second photo shows a hunter preparing his decoys. I took this photo at Middle Creek Wildlife Management area in PA, on 3/5/13. Electronic calls are also allowed to attract the Snow Geese. Some of these decoys are motorized to simulate a flying (landing) goose.

The third photo is that of a Bufflehead. The fourth is of a few Green-winged Teals. Both taken at Bombay Hook NWR, in DE. Last is a photo of a White Pelican taken at Blackwater NWR on the eastern shore of Maryland. Blackwater is about as far north as the White Pelicans migrate. It seems like a number of birds are gradually expanding their territory.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 10, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9445333

Scrub Jay coming in for a goober.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9445689

Wow, lots of fabulous shots!

Emptyeyes, here's the link for the 2013 Rubythroated HB migration map. Also, if you ever forget where to find the map, pelletory posts it in the Bird Watching forums.
Thanks pelle!!

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Adelbertcat - I just love all your Jay pics! They sure aren't timid. I grew up in Southern CA and they'd come right over and try to steal a sandwich out of our hands if we were outside eating!

JulieQ- Love the migrating Waxwing pics!

Great pics, IRIS! You have so many pretty ones, it's hard to choose a favorite. Love the sequence with all the birds around the "breakfast" bowl!

Lovely shots, Kim! I've also noticed early mating behavior in some of the birds. The Red-winged Blackbirds come and go around here all Winter, but now there are tons of them singing in the trees.

Nice pics, nanny! I always enjoy your Pileated shots. I've never seen one in person. We have Red-bellied, Downy and Hairy WP's year 'round and occasionally see a Red-headed in the Spring or Summer.

Amazing shots, Linth...Incredible detail & color! I especially like the ones in flight!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 4:08 PM

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 11, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9445766

I have not been out today, but so far we have not heard the red winged blackbirds. The marsh near us may not be thawed out enough for them.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9445944

Linth...fabulous shots in this thread! Nice to see you back!

adelbertcat...I think those Scrub Jays are so cool...glad to see you posting again too!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9447042

So, soon we'll have to say goodbye to some of our winter birds.

Junco (pink-sided, oregon form, or whatever…)
Common Redpoll

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed      

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9447892

I have fewer and fewer Juncos every week. I did see a Red-breasted nuthatch yesterday out on the suet...so may still have one around or one that is passing thru...not sure! Have seen lots of hawks when out running errands and Turkey Vultures too!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9448109

Nice shots, Marna. The 2nd pic is Stunning!

We still have zillions of Juncos, but I suspect with daylight getting longer they'll start to thin out soon.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 13, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9448274

Looks like an early spring. The Tree Swallows showed up 4 days ago and There has been2 Rufous hummers here for a week.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9448332

Nice pics all! Nearly 100 posts . . . a volunteer to start Volume 450, please!

Resin
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9450586

My yard is full of pine siskins and goldfinches. They can really go through some black oil sunflower seeds.

Thumbnail by pestee42

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 16, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9450978

Hi everyone. I've started a new thread. Come on over and post your birdies and join in the fun.

Here's the link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1302586/

Common Myna

Thumbnail by MargaretK

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America