Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily Bird Pictures, Vol. 449

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292419/
Lots of great stuff on the last thread.

We're on the verge of spring here! Suddenly a flock of Robins descended on the pond. Later in the day they were eating berries on the holly. A Common Flicker Joined them and some starlings too.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great shots Mrs. Ed. So nice to see the Robins in February.

PERTH, Australia

Great start to the thread, Mrs Ed. Could you please send me that egg shaped rock?

HA! Stay away from my Rocks you!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Mrs. Ed for the nice start to a new thread with the lovely Robins. Hahahaha, Margaret. You've spotted the rock, but I'm closer to Mrs. Ed. lol,lol. Here is my contribution for those of us that are looking forward to Spring. Not so much of the juvie bird, but the buds on the tree branches! Common Spring!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mocking Bird enjoying home suet with berries in it.

Female Cardinal looking pretty.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Beautiful GG. I'd love to have a mockingbird in the yard. I know everyone says they are bullies, but I've never had one here so would be nice.

And THENů the flock of Robins moved around to the other side of the house and devoured all the Holly Berries. They had help from a Common Flicker, Northern Cardinals, Cedar Waxwing, and piggie European Starlings. The berries are all gone!

Oh my goodness Marna, I love that first shot--it would make a wonderful magazine cover shot!

They ate all of those berries!! Pigs!!

Melbourne, FL

The Robins and Cedar Waxwings usually clean up all the berries here before heading North. I have not seen very many the last few days, maybe they have already headed out. My Holly tree is still full of berries.....the more for the Mockingbird, I guess.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Super photos in the last thread everyone.

Mrs Ed, thanks for the new start. I'd love to have your whole pond! The snow looks so beautiful with your birds. I do hope since you and I both have the robins that it doubles the chances of an earlier spring.

Lily, what a great capture of your hawk. Sorry that it's probably chasing off the little birds though.

Granny, love your mocker and cardinal. I've never seen one of my mockingbirds ever going near the suet. Guess there's enough berries around on the trees.

Here's some ring-necked ducks, some snow geese, a bald eagle and some ross's geese-all found at a nearby wildlife refuge.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mrs_Ed, ~ Great opening photos!

Lily-love ~ Nice picture of the hawk with the buds on the branch, I enjoy seeing him ( Though I know what that could mean)

GrannyGrunt ~ Nice pics, Love the Mockingbirds! They are such characters! Cardnals always look so pretty, I like the picture of this one on the stump!!

Mrs_Ed ~ I've only seen the mockingbirds being bullies around the mealyworm feeder, If I don't chase him off after letting him eat some, He will keep the Bluebirds at bay and eat all the worms.
I have hollie berries, But, I don't see the robins on them much going for the berries, They pretty much scour the grass here.

ducbucln, Great photos, I especially love the eagle in the tree shot!

Stafford County, VA

Nice shot of the eagle, Duc

RB Woodpecker, Chickadee.

I placed some home made suet on the sill of the back porch. Tons of interested takers. LOL

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Granny, I just love your photos of the woodie-such a pretty one. That dee is a cutie too, looks like your suet is a winner for sure.

I'm having fun with the house finches-here's a couple.
Still have three purple finches here too.
A not-so-nice photo of a bald eagle with it's lunch. I'll spare you the photos of the eagle actually picking at the poor duck and flying back and forth in front of me to show it off.
And a Lesser Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln

Great shots Duc. Gotta love those Eagles! It is showing you what a great hunter he/she is.

Yes, that suet is a real winner, also shows off that the back porch needs painted come spring.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lovely shots everyone. Mrs-Ed great start with the Robin, feels good to see them. Hope it tell of an early spring on the way.

A few from the pass few months.

Downy wp, Cooper's hawk, Pigeon galore, Black-capped Chickadee, and Hairy wp.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

oh my gosh....getting behind!

Great shots of the Robins.....I was seeing lots just a few weeks ago here.

Wish our hawk would sit still...it just passes thru in rush all the time! lol

Jealous that duc sees an eagle at the drop of a hat!! :)

I too wish for a Mockingbird....Have had one visit from time to time but not any regulars.

So great, job Marna, Lily & burn & GG!!

I am getting close to being out of safflower seed...probably by the end of this week or so. Still have a couple of weeks of Grey Striped Sunflower seed. I can't wait to see what stay around and maybe even if something new may show up in the spring or summer!!

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Granny, I'm in love with that red-bellied wp of yours. I love all your photos but that wp is one I'd love to see in person.

Burn, great photos of all your birds. Love the bill on that hairy. Yikes, that's a bunch of pigeons.

Nanny, I'm getting anxious for my springs birds to arrive too. All but three robins have left our neighborhood and I'm not sure there are many berries left on any tree.

This bewick's wren was waiting for a chance to get to the peanuts.
Here's a dark-eyed junco-still lots of them around but the weather is getting warmer so they'll soon be leaving.
This is a California towhee that loves the nuts and the peanut butter log.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Like the others, I'm falling behind over here! Really great shots everyone, I'm enjoying them all!!

Grannygrunt, Would love to hear about suet recipe!

ducbucln, Love the Eagle photos! I have a large white hawk here who has been flying through quite a bit but I've been missing the shots because I've been recently sick and also don't know if my equipment will get a good high flight shot or not, But, I'm going to try for it eventually. ~ Does anyone know if the male hawk carries nesting material along with the female? I would think he doesn't, Which leads me to believe that the White Hawk I have here is a female as I usually always see her carrying nest material in the spring.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Few photos... Very cloudy, Grey, Overcast day ...

Goldfinch getting a drink..

Bluebird on top of the arbor ..

Red bellied woodpecker at one of the feeders ... Second photo, He's shoveing the seeds out everywhere.

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great pics. everyone. IRIS, you've lots of activity there where you're! The RBWP's shovering the seeds is a nice capture. I guess he was looking for shelled peanuts. Those are high maintenance birds lol.

Wonderful pictures folks. Seeing them helps clear some of the clouds away on this dreary rainy day.

Duc, that is not the same woodpecker; I have a number of pairs of these birds that live here. None materialized today, so we will see what tomorrow brings. LOL

Iris, the suet recipe--well, it is not a carefully measured recipe. LOL I make enough for six very large pinecone feeders; two each for two of my neighbors and two for myself. I had some left over and that is what you see in these shots.

Okay: Approximate measurements: 2 pound of hog lard (not Crisco); 3 pound tub of peanut butter (any kind); fruit, this batch has raisins, dried cranberries, dried currants, peanut hearts (pieces work as well), corn meal for filler. You can add oat meal, or really anything you wish, as long as you start with the lard and tons of peanut butter, they will eat it; in fact, they will gobble it. It attracts a number of different visitors. This is not for warm weather use as it needs to be refrigerated (I stuck the pine cones into the freezer) before it is offered, and would melt readily in warm temps.

NOTE: I ALSO INCLUDED FREEZE-DRIED CRICKETS AND FREEZE-DRIED MEAL WORMS TO THIS MIXTURE. These really attract the Wrens, Chickadees and Titmice.

I just warm the lard and the peanut butter until I can mix it together, not until it reaches a runny consistency. Good luck.

Now, from yesterday, WB Nuthatch, Cardinal, Titmouse, Blue Jay and another Titmouse.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 7:45 PM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Lily_love, Thanks! The rbwp usually goes to the store bought suet cakes, But, When at the feeders, He usually always shoves the seeds out, Which I think he's after the nuts too, But, The odd part is, He does it in the platform feeder sometimes too where he can pretty much pick what he wants.
Do have plenty for birds here right now, Got .. Wrens, Doves, Bluebirds, Mockingbird, finches,cardnals,Blue Jays, junco's, titmouse, nuthatch, rbw, downy woodpecker, and hairy woodpecker. Once in a bluemoon in the early spring, I get a indigo bunting, I am so hoping that he visits this year and that I can get a good picture of him!

GrannyGrunt, loved the photos, Especially of the Blue Jay, I have them here now, But, They are so skitzy here right now that I can't get a shot of one, I barely get it in close enough to get a good view.
Thanks so much for the recipe and info on it!! I am surely going to give it a try!!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 5:25 PM

Had a robin and a male Blue Bird out front today in our River Birch and I think I saw a Grackle out back!!

yay Nanny. Think Spring!

Here are pictures of common redpolls. I've had a pair for a couple of weeks now. They are adorable and appreciate the hull-less sunflowers.

PERTH, Australia

Watching and enjoying everyone's shots. I might be able to add a few of my own in a couple of weeks.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thats great ~ Springs coming nanny!!
Nice pics of the redpolls mrs. Ed!
Look forward to your pics MargaretK

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

New bird for my yard ... Brown Nuthatch?? ~ And a goldfinch -chickadee

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

House finches, Siskin? and titmouse

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Bluebirds at there feeding bowl ~ And checking out there nestbox

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Forgot thename on the first bird .. next is a cardnal

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from IRIS :
Forgot thename on the first bird

Song Sparrow

Resin

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Resin, I was thinking chipping sparrow for some reason.

Nice pics Iris!

Yup sure did see a Common Grackle this week!! Also the White-breasted Nuthatch and the Pileated Woodpecker from back on the 2nd.

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Loved the pics Nanny!! Wish we had a pileated wp here!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lovely pics. Nan. Do your WBNHs nest in your nest box? Iris, I too would love to see the Pileated WP here. I too have one lone Brown headed Nuthatch visiting my suet feeder at intervals. Your pic. of one is very very nice. By the way, is that a grafted weeping mulberry tree ? My yard birds love to perch on my tree as well. I too have a hard time differentiate between the various sparrows. These I think maybe a flock of chipping Sparrows?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

partial albino northern cardinal at my feeder this morning.

Thumbnail by BCH521
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bruce, nice partial albino northern cardinal. It's nice to see you posting.

I don't have a nest box.....have thought about putting up one for the wrens....but decided against it.

I have seen a few Sandhill Cranes passing over. One day had just a group of 3 which is very unusual.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.