Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: Old boots as planters.

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 15, Views: 243
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9409966

I wore these boots for 2.5 years until they were finished. I tore out the liner, drilled holes, took some white paint and dry-brushed them and then planted them.

Everyone thought they were real planters! (concrete or resin)

They lasted about 1 year before I finally tossed them, but it worked and they had 2 lives!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Decolores
Hillsborough, NC

February 6, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9409995

Beautiful photo, David -- it looks like a painting! The dry brushing gives the boots an even older look - you are very creative...

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9410332

Thank you Decolores.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 6, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9410507

I have to agree with Decolores - it does look like a painting. Very cool!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9410620

Those are neat, David.

I have cactus plants in my DH's old tennis shoes and am thankful I used them - he passed away 5 years ago and when I look at them, I can envision him wearing them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9410629

I swear that looks like a painting. You should enter your photo in the year-end Photo Contest.

Kay, what a sweet, sweet sentiment. My Dad was buried 16 years ago today and I still have one of his flannel shirts. Wearing it brings comfort and warmth in more ways than one :)

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9410640

Just beautiful David. Thanks for sharing with us. Patti
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9410661

It does look like a painting. I've used old boots for bromeliads. The paint adds a great look to them.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9410690

I appreciate that from a fellow artist Debbie. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing that message Kay. They sound like something that those Cactus' will be in for a while. Blessings your way... Fruit of the Vines message was equally special and It was understood and appreciated.

Thank you much Patti.

Bromeliads sound perfect Gingerlily. The less water the longer they last! Kay's will last a while too! Thank you.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9410969

They are awesome David, I noticed them on your pond thread, Thank you so much for the close up, you are incredible with all your talent.
Christine
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 7, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9410982

You're welcome David.

You truly are an artist with both the brush and your camera. Many people do not realize that the word photography translates to "painting with light". That's what it is. If you have an artist's eye you'll see the painting within. Similar to the picture I posted of the headlight - most would have walked past it and never saw the colors and texural qualities. Here you have the white of the boot accenting the faded white in whatever is behind it (some architectural piece?) and the even further paint distressing on the fence. It tells a story that - once there was a white painted fence, but it has faded and been neglected, later the square piece was leaned against it and forgotten, then an old pair of boots no longer useable but found a second purpose in life in front of it all amidst a perfect bed of hay not weathered and beaten down. In other words, the picture can be allegorical to life; saying no matter how old and weathered we become, there is always something we are good for...make sense? That's the "story" it tells me anyway. When you can get a painting or a photograph to tell a story - it's a winner.

Love it!

Debbie
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 7, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9411015

David - forgot to say that by zooming in and eliminating the other things, rearranging the boots as you did, was with an artist's eye. That's what makes the snow fence look like a real fence or even the side of an old barn because you zoomed in enough to NOT see the surroundings and know where it is. You also used lighting well, and it looks like you used a flash for fill light or perhaps a reflector. If you didn't , then you caught the sun perfectly! Great work either way.

Debbie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9411678

Those are beautiful!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9411728

I agree that you should enter that photo of the boots in the next photo contest.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9411820

I appreciate the input and nice words,... Thank you Christine,Debbie, Linda and Mike!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9415675

They look great. I have an old pair of work boots that I grow semps and sedums in. I like the white dry bush gives a whole different look.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America