AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9410353

My Grandmother and Grandfather used to use tin cans to grow their starts in before plastic pots. It has stuck with me through the years.

Painting the inside and out with rust preventive paint greatly increases their life after the holes have been drilled or punched in,... and with a little extra wire for handles are added, (hardware cloth, Chicken wire or such make great wraps) they can last for years and be fun. With a liner of glass or plastic they are great for floral arrangements. Tin cans to treasure!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

February 6, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9410550

Very nice Dave, are you a perfessiomal designer, you realy have aflair for it.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9410617

Very pretty and ingenious, David!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9410623

Very nice, David. Really love your artistic flare.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9410658

These are great!! Very inspirational. I have a lot of those cans (friends have a restaurant). Thanks for the ideas.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9410660

Ginger, how are you doing these days, as if I have to ask - hugs to you and the fur kids!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9410695

Thank all of you again. Thank you for looking and don't throw away those big ole' cans! The small ones are cool too...especially for succulents.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9410729

I should stop giving our tin coffee cans to hubby for nuts, bolts and screws and start doing something functional, and artistic, with them. Your photos are very inspirational.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9410777

My Grandparents thought that was one of many uses (like your hubby) for them 'Fruit of The Vine'. I suppose many folk did back then.

Before plastic,... and other then clay pots, wooden planters, and stone;... I wonder what were the other alternatives for our ancestors?

Sometimes I have thought with some of the plants I have grown in cans, that the plants might benefit from the Iron in them as the cans age?

Thank you.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 7, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9411004

Hi David,

Yes my grandparents used coffee cans for plants too. One grandfather had one on the porch for spittin' in from his chewing tobacco ("baccy" as he'd used to say). I have used them for plants myself but found them perfect to use for parts washer solvent for when I'm working on cars. You can't use the big plastic ones...they melt.

By now, you know me and my stories (they are all true), sorry, but I can't let this one pass me by either. I was called to the state supreme court once for jury duty. This was before 9/11 so although they were cautious, they were not paranoid like now. Anyway, I came inside laid my keys, change, etc in a basket (back and neck problems so I don't carry a purse) and walked through the metal detector. It went off. I said I had nothing, not even a belt buckle and so I proceeded back and forth a couple times, always settng it off. The security guard said come on through and he'd use the wand. He did and found that culprit...something in my right sweater pocket. He said "what's in there?" I laughed, and said; "my lunch". I asked if he wanted to get it or should I and he said I could. He watched me carefully as I proceeded to pull out my plastic sandwhich bag, containing a roast beef sandwich with mustard. Puzzled, we both laughed as he passed the wand over my sandwich and the wand went off again... It then dawned on me why, and I told him. I had made the roast beef in a cast iron dutch oven. I always knew that was good for you because of the iron molecules transferring, but I would never have imagined it would set off alarms. I suppose if that happened these days, I'd have been arrested, sexually molested and held until they could run the beef, bread and mustard through a mass spectrometer to make sure it was not the makings of a bomb. LOL

So, yeah I would guess the plants do benefit from the metal. ^_^

Debbie

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9414857

Aren't a lot of the old formerly tin coffee cans now plastic? I used to keep a tin one to melt wax in for certain crafts. I'm helping my husband collect old tuna cans to fill with cardboard rolled, wax poured over it, and they become "burners" for the Boy Scouts. One of my different cooking techniques I get to help with.

David, I love all the "doodads" you have added to the cans. I have not been very successful at bending the wires and to get a pleasing look. I'm not doing something right! LOL

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9415034

That was a pretty entertaining story Debbie,... Especially the part about the iron molecules on the sandwich. Ha!

Thanks Pat. The framing is a fairly small gauge steel wire that I use pliars to bend. Easy to work with copper and aluminum wire is used for the connect wrapping and doodads...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9415202

Maybe I'm using the wrong wire, maybe I'll try again, maybe I won't! My interest in "bending wire" seems to wax & wane.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 11, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9415387

Yes Pat most of the coffee tins are now plastic. Chock Full O' Nuts is still metal (the Columbian is excellent coffee too) and there may be a few others, but not many. However, the #10 size can works. You'll find them in the bulk foods section with larger servings of things. You may not buy them often but you might consider them occasionally when you have a family get together. You can buy one of the #10 size green beans instead of 6 or so cans of the regular size. I don't see why you couldn't use he plastic ones for plants though. Many pots are plastic anyway.

Debbie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9415421

David they are great! Do you sell them? If not you should. A friend of mine picked this up at a Craft Fair a few years ago. It will hold a small pot or candle. It is pretty weathered as I use it outside. There are two smaller ones that I use with glass votives. They still look like new as they only go outside for occasions and then come back inside.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9415565

On a scale of 1 to 10 those containers are a 10 for me!

I have sold a few, but my Hypertufa pots sell better.

You are right Debbie. Chock full O' nuts cans work. Folgers has gone all plastic I think...Some Winn Dixie brand cans are still all metal I think, and their Dark roast and Breakfast Blend is good. Walmart coffee isn't bad either and tin I think...
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 12, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9416563

LOL - HollyAnn I have those too!

My pair was bought for me by my brother at a craft show in Exton Mall, PA., therefore, likely from the same craftsman. I've had them for a long time. He bought them a few years before he broke his neck in 1988, so I would guess about 1984, making them almost 30 years old now.

The matching pair are like the one on the left of your right photo. They have red glass votive cups inside them and a clear hurricane globe on top. They also set on about a 6" round mirror that reflects the light. I have them on each end of my dresser. They make a nice romantic, low light for the bedroom. I really love them and no one has ever thought they were tin cans until they really looked at them. I'll try to get a pic when I have more time.

Debbie
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9419168

Hi, just found this thread and love the can planter idea.
Can someone please tell me why some words are in blue and underlined. Is that going to happen each time we use anything that can viewed on the web?
Faye
Looks like our post is used for advertising...Why? Who can do this?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 5:58 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9419191

I don't see any words right now like that. But they should not be on here. If you see them please report them. I did see a few a week or so ago like that on another thread.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9419863

I haven't seen anything like that here dahtzu. I'm confused as to what you are referring to?
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9420196

Go to the top of this thread and see the first post by
DavidofDeLand . The words plastic pots, floral arrangements and painting are all in blue and underlined twice.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9420219

Humm... not on my computer, wonder what the deal is.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9420221

dahtzu,

I do not see what you are seeing at all. Plastic pots, floral arrangements and painting are not showing up like that on my view.

Feel free to report this problem to DG. Whatever it is you are seeing is not coming from me,... or even seen by me on this thread. Since it is my thread, you might have asked,... "Hey David!...have you noticed this issue?"

Hallucinations? What are you seeing? Ask the Staff!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9420335

I have seen this problem before. I know just what you are seeing although I don't see it on my computer. The problem should be reported to DG Admin.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9420352

Maybe it should be reported to the DG staff like we have all said. What you see that you understand but don't see ain't here!? Find the thread you see it on!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 16, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9420900

I don't see anything blue on my computer either. I think it may occur if someone were to copy and paste text from some place that did that, where those blue words are links to elsewhere. It's the only thing I can think of. Regardless, it is not on this post, so perhaps if someone finds it on a post where it actually appears it should be reported.

I am going to try to do the copy/post thing here from something on Wiki just to see if that may be the case. NOTE TO ADMIN - this in no way is meant as infringement or plagiarism. I'm only trying to find a source. I give credit to the following : this is from a page on Wikipedia about Hopi Native Americans. I did not write it so therefore it is in quotes. I am only tryng to see if this creates blue letters in a post . On Wiki this sentence has Native American, Hopi Reservation and Arizona in blue words that are links-

"The Hopi are a federally recognized tribe of Native American people, who primarily live on the 2,531.773 sq mi (6,557.26 km2) Hopi Reservation in northeastern Arizona."
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 16, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9420902

Okay so that is not the answer either - well I tried. I have no idea what or how this is appearing on your computer.

Sorry I can't help.

Debbie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9421713

Thanks for tryng to clear that up Debbie...

On a lighter side, I'm growing Hopi Red Dye Amaranthus this year since you mentioned the Hopi! Its great looking and everyone says it tastes great. Maybe I'll make some dye and do the cat!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9421722

Dahtzu, Holly, and Debbie,

The underlined blue word advertising thing you've spoken of just popped up all over the article of the day to the right of DG frontpage. The article, "A Day at Dave's Garden".

I think the Administration is aware and it would probably be of little use to report it?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9421801

LOL No, That is intended for that article. All those links take you to different DG Forums. It is a cute way of taking you around the whole DG Site.
What we were talking about earlier, I have seen before quite a long time ago and those links are placed by hackers to re direct you to some type of add.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 17, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9422310

Hmmmm... I wonder how they do that? Not that I want to, just curious. I know I have added links in my posts (not to ads) at times and they show up in green. I have no clue about the blue ones... very strange.
Debbie

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9422366

LOL... I have a couple computer whiz kids that could EASILY to do that... thank goodness they have not had rotten intentions!! A little "hacking fun" would be easily accomplished and I'm grateful that is not in their nature.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9422386

Thanks all. I have sent Melody a dmail.
Faye

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America