Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: Is it too late for my Alstroemeria?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9410422

Years ago I was given an Alstroemeria, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/119750/ . It produced beautiful flowers. It went dormant on its own at the end of each summer and I brought it into a cool room. I repotted it every year until it seemed to need to be divided. I divided it two years ago and many survived. However, they have not flowered much and did not go dormant. The foliage was beautiful in the fall so I didn't have the heart to cut it back because I thought they may need time to get established. They still look good but a bit leggy where I have not pinched them. I'm just wondering if they need a few months of dormancy and if anyone thinks that it is too late to cut them back now. If it is too late, can I do anything else to encourage the flowers? Any help will be appreciate
mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9493542

Because they looked so bad, I took a chance and pulled all the stems. It worked!

Thumbnail by mygardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

VanGarden
Thibodaux, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9503283

Beautiful plant. Thanks for the tip about removing the old stems.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America