Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Southwest Gardening: CCccrrraaassshhhh - need help w/my totempole cactus

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 265
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

February 6, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9410607

My beautiful, yes, I'll say it, my BEAUTIFUL totempole cactus crashed down after the rains last week. Usually I go out and cover the ground with tarps after the first day of a rain so that the cactus doesn't draw up too much moisture. I forgot to do that this time...and then the wind started to blow. CRASH!

So far I've just let it lay there thinking that the roots needed time to dry out. I went out today and moved some of the wet dirt away from the roots by hand and with a paint brush and found that ground is still very wet - lots of clay in the soil here. My goal is to prop this baby back up! I know that any broken roots need time to callus over, as do the pieces that broke off, before I can do anything.

It'll break my heart if I lose this guy! Ideas? Suggestions?

Thumbnail by Crista   Thumbnail by Crista   Thumbnail by Crista   Thumbnail by Crista
Click an image for an enlarged view.

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9411008

It's a beauty! I don't have any advice or suggestions. I just hope mine doesn't do that if it gets that size.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

February 7, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9411070

It looks like its in great shape after falling, like he's just taking a nap. Good luck getting him upright :)
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9411862

Crista,

Lifting that plant is going to be very tedious . Each arm being somewhat independant , simply attached at the base of each arm. In order to lift it , you will need to atttempt to lift it as one piece . As can be seen you have what, 15 arms, each being ???? pounds. It appears to be what, 9 to 12 feet tall ? If I were going to attempt that I would wrap the entire plant with 2 inch nylon webbing strap like heavy movers use . Then I would put a HEAVY , THICK sheet of plywood undeneath the whole thing attaching ropes to or underneath the plywood . Then you would need a high point somewhere on the other side of the plant away from the direction it fell to hoist it up . OR you would need some heavy high-lift jacks to lift/tilt it into place .

Not a small job for the average home owner today . Other option would be to hire a professional cactus mover (not cheap) but they would have apropriate cranes, hoists , etc.

Sad to say it , easiest option is to cut plant into various segments, cutting various arms at the bases and rerooting the arms (not terribly difficult) . But much easier, each arm can be lifted independantly . There is a LOT of weight there, not an easy job.

On the upside , create a totem pole forest/grouping . Give away christmas presents in advance (save you lots of money come next december) .

Good luck
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

February 8, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9412030

You're right lonediver, this thing is going to be a bugger to get back up. I'm as worried about how to handle the roots without them breaking, and then starting to rot, as I am how to handle the multiple arms and the weight of the thing. You're right, I think I'll try and find a professional cactus mover and see what they say. Argh!

FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9412686

What a beauty!!!! So sorry it fell over :(
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9414122

Oh man- what a terrible shame! That's a great specimen. I hope it calluses off and revives. It looks like you now have a couple of cuttings (fallings?) to start.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9414874

So sad, but here is what I would do. Cut off all the arms except the two main ones that are mostly connected to the roots. Put these two arms back into the ground and then wait for the others to scar over and re plant them close to the parent or move them elsewhere. You probably won't be able to tell the difference in a couple of years. Also, I would put some BIG rocks around the base of the parent plant, this will give it some support.
Good luck
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9420131

I'd cut it into sections and plant a forest in the same area. Some pieces might die, but that's okay. Do let us know what you decide.
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

February 19, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9424923

After a lot of research and talking to people who know cactus transplants, I think we have a "Plan A": Wrap tow straps around the entire cactus to hold the arms together, then using another tow strap that's hooked to the bumper of our jeep gently pull it up. We've got a frame used on a boat for water skiing to put between the cactus and the jeep as a fulcrum, so we can put a higher angle on the pulling strap than the height of the jeep bumper. I think the mechanics of it will result in an vertical pull rather than a lateral pull to bring the cactus to verticle. Will have a group of strong guys to guide the cactus as it's pulled up, then to hold it in place while we get supports built around it. I'd like to have the support frame built in two halves prior to lifting this thing up so all we'll have to do is hammer the two parts together.

Plan B will be to cut it into sections, but at this point I just can't go there. Will let you know how Plan A works!
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

February 20, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9425725

Good luck, fingers crossed!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9425734

Im certainly pulling for you as I know many others on DG are.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 23, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9428946

oh, no! I hope this beautiful specimen can be saved in its entirety, Crista.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9439501

When I saw the pics of the totem pole cactus I could have cried...How is it doing? Were you able to erect it? I can't find any evidence that it would survive outside in zone 6 but would love to have a start to put in a pot and put it out on my patio in the summer if you should have any...please let me know and I will gladly pay for shipping.

Are there anymore zone 6 folks out there???
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

March 9, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9444177

Thank you all for your kind words. I decided to wait to pull this feller upright until the spring rains are over and it gets warmer. I'm thinking that if there are root breaks I don't know about it'll reduce the chance of rot if the soil is dry and the heat has started to trigger growth. In the meantime, I try to cover the rootzone every time it rains -- the rain this weekend got ahead of me as it started in the night, but we got the roots covered early in the morning after the rain started. Drier ground will also make the scaffold I'm going to need to erect around it more stable. For now it's napping!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America