Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Source for a Vintage Rose Trellis?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 5, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

February 6, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9410608

Hello All, it seems that the roses I bought a couple of years ago from Heritage Roses are liking their new home, and I am looking for one of those great, old, REAL trellises of my youth. Remember? Made in America, usually of white-painted substantial wood (or could be iron and black and gnarley), and BIG. I'd say around 6' tall and 4' across. At least.
I have started my search, and boy it is disappointing. To say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a trellis of this type? I have one rose that has become steroidal, and I can't mess around. I do NOT want something made in China, or plastic (it becomes brittle in strong sun, over time), and can't, or won't, do flimsy. I believe that the rose should have the relationship with the trellis, and don't want to have to yank it from the rose to work on it.
Am I asking for too much? I saw an antique trellis on eBay but doggone it, the shipping was more than $100.00, and the bottom legs (it is iron) would have to be bent 90 degrees...yikes. Please suggest away - I could have a funky look, or the traditional fan shape, but NOT geometric as it will go up against my cinderblock home.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 6, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9410652

An old iron bed headboard wouldn't be tall enough, I guess...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9418867

Often at flea markets or farmer's markets you can find artisans who sell those types of products. Have a drawing or photo assortment ready to show what you are looking for and you can get the person you find to make what you want. I agree, shipping for something like that would be too much and you would still have to put part of it together yourself probably. So I would try to find someone local. Maybe call the local Master Gardeners to see if they use of know of someone.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how you make out.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

February 14, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9419295

I thank both of you for your thoughts. I am wussing out and having a carpenter-friend make one for me. The trellis will get blasted from the strong afternoon summer sun so want wood. Plastic will degrade and get brittle, and it's not the right material for my house.
I LOVE metal but it just won't hold up and I suspect that it will stain the bright white paint behind in, that is on the cinderblock.
So, I'll give a friend a job and some money and we'll see! I'll take a photo when all is done. Thank you again.

I remember that builders in the 60's or earlier used to take pride in making custom touches (like huge trellises that filled carport walls) for the homes they built. Remember? That's the ticket!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 14, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9419476

I hope you will post a picture when it is done.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9422830

Yes. My great-aunt had a huge trellis like that across the back of her (single car) garage. It was built into the sofit so it must have come with the garage/house. She used to grow these huge tomatoes on it--I think they must have been some sort of Italian tree type. She save the seeds from year to year. When she and great-uncle went on vacation it was my job to take care of the tomatoes. My dad and I spent several afternoons in her back yard just sitting and eating tomatoes. That would be so cool to have the same type of trellis across the back of my carport now! ☺

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America