Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Kitty Litter Biochar

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 1, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spunorthodox
Tildenville, FL

February 6, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9410681

So we've all heard that carnivore/pet poop is generally not a good thing to add to compost or garden beds. Mostly because it may contain bad microbes and parasites like Toxoplasma gondii; and also because it can burn the roots of the plants that you bury it near in garden beds...
...but what if... you burn it all... the pee, the poop. All of it.

Cat pee is made of uric acid (-->ammonia), electrolytes, and water. Ammonia is considered a green fuel, that although "caustic" is still cleaner than gasoline. It's bi-products are Nitrogen and water. Electrolytes are a fancy way of saying minerals.

Cat Poop is undigested cat food (bacteria included) with Nitrogen, phosphate, and potash...and carbon of course.

I use the 3-tiered paint can, tomato can, soup can contraption (goofy pic attached) to burn my woody yard debris, which turns wood into soil nourishing char coal instead of ash.

I rent an apartment so I have to go somewhere remote, like the camp grounds of a public park, to burn the wood. I'd love to try also burning the cat pee and poop that I get out of the litter box, but I'm already getting stink eye from the park rangers. The last thing I need to reassure them of is that "it's only cat excrement that I'm burning, don't worry".

So I'm wondering, has anybody tried burning cat stuff? That's my more pressing question...how does it smell? Would I have to burn my clothes too if I ever attempted it? Then the secondary question is, what effect has anyone innovative (crazy) enough to do this noticed in their garden?

Any feedback is good feedback. Even if it's "you're stupid"...because I'm rubber and you're glue :)

Thanks!
Keith

Thumbnail by spunorthodox
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9411187

No honest question should ever be considered stupid.

Here is a bit of info for you

http://www.earthineer.com/content.php?blogid=11276

http://www.loyno.edu/~katc/documents/manure.rtf

from the above link to pdf this is in reference to most common manures, but the burning would apply to all forms.

"3.5 Do not burn animal manures!

Burning manures is like setting fire to soil fertility! Zambian soils are very poor in organic matter, which is the driving force of soil fertility, and animal manures are an excellent source of organic matter. By burning manures, all of the benefits of increasing soil organic matter go up in smoke and all that is left are minimal plant nutrients, which have only temporary effects on crop growth.

Burning manures is practised to eliminate diseases. However, composting animal manures will also reduce the risk of any plant or animal diseases remaining in the manure - and the precious organic matter will be retained."

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America