Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Gardening with ELK! Denver foothills.

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nele
Golden, CO

February 8, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9411877

My kitchen window is large and looks out onto a level, but rocky, piece of ground. It's about eye level with the window. I have some interesting plants, lavender, tiny crocus & hyacinth, some succulents, yarrow...but I would like to get more creative out there. Maybe a couple of sizable agaves? The lavendar is re-seeding, which is good, but...it needs more. The window faces west, so is shaded in the .am. but gets strong sun in the afternoon. I'd love to have some alpine, rock-garden type plants, but one of the issues is elk, which are all over the place here. They will occasionally tromp around out there...even LICKING the kitchen window sometimes. There's a low rock wall around this spot but it doesn't really deter them. --Any great ideas for fool-proof, not-too-expensive, succulents that elk will avoid? (They never touch the lavender, which I appreciate!)

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9412402

Try to find a list of Rabbit-resistant plants, or deer-resistant. Elk come closer to grazing like rabbits than browzing like deer. Spines won't always deter Rabbits (they love Texas Red Yucca, and will nibble on short-spined cactus).
Plus with elk, you have them blundering around, tromping on things. You might try a temporary electric fence, then when they get used to not walking straight through the flower bed, you might be able to take it down. Or a scratchy hedge? They can jump, but don't like to. If you have a lawn, you probably won't be able to keep them off that

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America