Photo by Melody

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Gardening with ELK! Denver foothills.

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nele
Golden, CO

February 8, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9411877

My kitchen window is large and looks out onto a level, but rocky, piece of ground. It's about eye level with the window. I have some interesting plants, lavender, tiny crocus & hyacinth, some succulents, yarrow...but I would like to get more creative out there. Maybe a couple of sizable agaves? The lavendar is re-seeding, which is good, but...it needs more. The window faces west, so is shaded in the .am. but gets strong sun in the afternoon. I'd love to have some alpine, rock-garden type plants, but one of the issues is elk, which are all over the place here. They will occasionally tromp around out there...even LICKING the kitchen window sometimes. There's a low rock wall around this spot but it doesn't really deter them. --Any great ideas for fool-proof, not-too-expensive, succulents that elk will avoid? (They never touch the lavender, which I appreciate!)

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9412402

Try to find a list of Rabbit-resistant plants, or deer-resistant. Elk come closer to grazing like rabbits than browzing like deer. Spines won't always deter Rabbits (they love Texas Red Yucca, and will nibble on short-spined cactus).
Plus with elk, you have them blundering around, tromping on things. You might try a temporary electric fence, then when they get used to not walking straight through the flower bed, you might be able to take it down. Or a scratchy hedge? They can jump, but don't like to. If you have a lawn, you probably won't be able to keep them off that

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America