Photo by Melody

Swaps, Trades and Giveaways: CLOSED: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS - Valentine Exchange

Communities > Forums > Swaps, Trades and Giveaways
bookmark
Forum: Swaps, Trades and GiveawaysReplies: 202, Views: 1,008
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9411962

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292560/

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9411980

OK. Hope to get my valentine out this evening.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9412012

Thanks for the new page. I solved most of my issues with my swap gift. Hope to be Ble to get back to the kiln on Monday.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9412277

I have adhesive and I'm having to do it in 2 stages...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9412323

What the heck are you gluing, You are driving me crazy just trying to figure it out. LOL

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9412464

Valentine is on it's way. Will get there Thursday. Whew!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9412736

After a 13 hour day at work AND I'm on-call. I am ticked off that I started on this project in PLENTY of time to finish with DAYS to spare. Now I'm not even going to get it out tomorrow from the looks of it. I want to make sure the glue CURES before mailed or I'm afraid the project will fail.

My poor Sweetie, I asked him if he mailed out his daughter's Get well card and Grandson's birthday card which he PROMISED me he would do... heck no... he thought I'd do it since I always do all the mailing!!! GRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Perfect storm, I'm tired, hungry and just plain CRANKY!!! See? I feel better already! LOL I'm praying I will NOT get called out tonight.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9412795

Gloria, could you please post a picture of what I made for you? I only have a picture of the coaster as I didn't want to wait for the camera to charge. I've seen pictures of your wonderful studio so i know you have photo capability. Thanks, Mittsy
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9412902

My dear friend posted this on FB this morning at 1am I just read it and it said 5 hrs ago.

Linda Johnson:
I felt the best today than I have for 3 years, guess the blood transfusion helped. Don't know yet if the new chemo is killing the cancer in my lymph nodes or net. Guess we'll see

by my calculations that meant she was up at 1am this morning. Hum... not sure that is such a good thing. hheheh

When I spoke with her today, she did sound wonderful but that in itself scares me a bit too. I hope she didn't overdo it yesterday. She felt so good she was going to go up to her daughter scrapbooking shop and help her price some stuff.
I had Physical Therapy yesterday and it was wonderful. I got the best neck and back message that I have had in a long time. Not to mention that my therapist looked like the fellow on gator hunters that him and his son are Cajun and he has a long pony tail. The guy on tv not my therapist. Anyway's it was great, I could barely drive home I was so relaxed. eheheh
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9412930

Pat, please don't stress about my package, really. I know it will get her when it does. Thank God we are back East. Brrrr...
I do hope that all of you that are back there and are able to get online are safe and sound and staying inside where hopefully you have heat and electricty and are warm. I don't envy you at all. Please be safe. Hugs and Blessing sent your way.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9412957

Thanks Jan, it's just frustrating and I appreciate your patience. It's one thing when I procrastinate but when I really did get on it, that peeves me! I'm in a slightly better mood this morning. LOTS to do before we hit the road to take care of a dinner we are hosting at my sisters.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9413033

Jan, glad to hear the good report from your friend Linda! Sounds like she is finally having a good day! Still sending prayers for her.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9413275

mittsy, yes I will take photos. This is one of those times that the hurrier I go the behinder I get... I'm staying at the studio for a few days as I'm trying to get several things done. Had 3 1/2 " of snow this morning so am enjoying a pot of tea, chocolate and sewing like mad... Had to come over to the big house to get my new kitten and let him play in the snow for a while so I'm at the computer for a few minutes.
Jan, so glad your friend is feeling better.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9413385

Thanks Gloria. Wonderful news that Linda felt better.

I received my box from Thunder today. Thank you so much, I love everything. Will post pictures soon.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9413729

Wow. Got there fast Mittsy! ! Something else coming as soon as sciatica will let me do a little more sewing. I have Mon.off, hoping to get it completed then.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
3:04 AM

Post #9413846

Pictures 1. everything that was in the box. 2. Hug Snack Mat Front and 3. Back. 4. Handcrafted card, Here's what Thunder wrote on the card "I am sure you have heard of a snack-mat? or maybe a mug rug. Well... how about a hug-rug!! a heart for your snack & your drink. I hope you have a spot to place it, and that you can think of me, and all of our DG friends whenever you use it." < I have placed it right next to the sewing machine and will use it every day. I just love it. > She (Thunder) continues This is part one of your Valentine gift. Another piece will follow. I know you like to recycle--- the heart is made completely of scraps (including pieces of batting inside) Little glass box (candleholder) was purchased at the Habitat store. Card is scraps too!!. Lots of Hugs today and always. Thunder.

5.pink socks, Know you wish these were yours, Pat. We all know each other so well! I just love everything and I haven't even gotten to the chocolate, yet. Thank you so much!

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
3:06 AM

Post #9413847

6. Stiky notes, very handy! 7. Glass candleholder and wonderful fragrant candle. Thank you for supporting Habitat for Humanity, you know I love that organization.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy         

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9413852

8. Reeses pieces, white, dark, and milk chocolate. If you look carefully at the last picture you'll see I filled my Habitat for Humanity mug with the dark chocolate kisses, I will ration myself to one a day.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 10, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9413882

Nice gifts!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9414086

Dont ya just think that card is sewwww cute...saw a similar one, but it was done with paper cutouts...sew I thought ...why not fabric.
I made a few of them, they were very much fun to do.!!!

I like your Habitat mug !! I wonder if ours ever do then?? will have to ask about it. Our store is not to far away, we usually go every week. I have some very nice lighting in my house thanks to them. and some wonderful art work, get very good picture frames there. and at Christmas time ...well for a while before Christmas, I got some wonderful stuffed critters, I sent to my Christmas swap buddy , she gives them out to children in her area. Yup we love our Habitat store. donate items to them also..

Mittsy, I forgot to add to that note, that I think every one should have at least few pairs of "fun" socks. got two of those in a set, I am sending the other one to my Momma !!! ^_^

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9414176

If my feet and ankles were agreeable I'd have LOTS of fun socks!!! alas, my feet are sensitive and ankles too big.

Some wonderful gifts and YES, pink & black, surely you made a mistake and you MEANT to mail to me??? hehehe

Love you all!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 10, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9414242

See all the wonderful packages are still arriving to everyone!! Mine is supposed to arrive at it's destination tomorrow!! We shall see!! Hopefully it will!!!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 10, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9414482

Hi, all.
Well, still busily working on my goodies for my swap buddy. Looks like I'll need to mail it out Tuesday morning... Sorry buddy for the delay...
Jan, thanks for the new page!
Michelle
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9415001

Good morning all. I am enjoying my snack mat and my coffee.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 11, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9415079

Someone should watch their mailbox today!! My valentine package is supposed to be delivered today!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9415135

Actually, I have to pick mine up at the post office. My driveway is too muddy for the mail lady to make it up the hill...lol.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9415725

I picked up my box from the post office. It had the nicest door wreath. Handmade with lights, hearts and more. Also received a kitchen towel, card, and a handmade shell picture frame for my beach house Themed cabin. I love everything and will get pictures as soon as I can. Uploading is hard for me from my phone and my camera is dead.

Thanks so much Rose. I love everything and will treasure the things you made for me.

With all the swaps lately, my house will be full of love from all my friends here at DG. So thanks to everyone. You are all truly my family of the heart!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 1:13 AM

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 11, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9415790

Wow! sounds great. Kris, If you know how to do it, you can put your phone pics on my computer and send them when you come Thursday ,My connection is not the fastest but if you are patient you can get it done..

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9415864

That would be great Crystal. We can do that before we go to lunch and shopping!!! Or when we get back,,, since we are both excited to go shopping.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9416156

I am so glad you like everything Kris . You ae very welcome.
Patti

I received a wonderful gifts from Happygarden today. I wish I could post the pictures ,but with our new computer I just got . I can't find them . I will have to get my husband to help me later in the week I will post all the pictures I took.
I received a real cute card 3 d paper heart card. Heart shape cake pan with brownies. Which we all love eating . They were so yummy. Chocolate hersey candy bar with a personal type wrapper . I also received a metal dye stamp kit. I can now make my own plants tags,or even name tag for my pets. Which is a real great idea for a gift. A pack of cupid tomatoe seeds. I wish I could share pictures now,but my computer skills are limited. Thank God my husband is awesome at computers. I promise to post the pictures later this week. I really appreciate your time and effort you put into my gift.
Thank you so very much for the wonderful gift Joyce/ happygarden
Hugs
Patti

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9416168

Jan, the universe is conspiring against me! I broke a headlight so my husband swapped me cars, taking MY car and the package with him! Leaving me the truck I do NOT drive, it's stick and VERY grumpy! So tomorrow, I will have MY car, with the package, money in the wallet and then go to post office,. I was so excited to see you live in Oregon and I thought you'd get it by the 14th... By the time he had swapped me back, the Post Office was closed. TOMORROW!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9417006

Well my package arrived at my buddies according to the post office for sure on Saturday, they said out for delivery on Friday and then said delivered on Saturday No word from my buddy on the package ;( I just hope everything arrived ok and that she liked it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9417059

according to the post master in my neighborhood PO...delivery confirmation ...is only to nearest "major" facility...not to actual address !!!! I got him to write me a statement at one time because I had placed a good sized fabric order, and did not receive it...the company said I did...I was out a good chunk of $$$, co. said they had delivery confirmation, and I should speak to my post office. well I did just that, and that is what I was told...

for me that would mean delivery confirmed to Orlando...thats quite a few miles away, and a bunch of little postal offices in between...the company eventually gave me a refund. :) I stopped using delivery confirmation. If I am concerned about something I send it, Signature required.

Sooooo what I am getting at, is it may have been delivered to large postal center, and still needs time to get to actual destination!!!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9417079

I posted on 2/11/13.
I received a wonderful gifts from Happygarden today. I wish I could post the pictures ,but with our new computer I just got . I can't find them . I will have to get my husband to help me later in the week I will post all the pictures I took.
I received a real cute card 3 d paper heart card. Heart shape cake pan with brownies. Which we all love eating . They were so yummy. Chocolate Hersey candy bar with a personal type wrapper, and a calender. I also received a metal dye stamp kit. I can now make my own plants tags,or even name tag for my pets. Which is a real great idea for a gift. A pack of cupid tomatoe seeds. I wish I could share pictures now,but my computer skills are limited. Thank God my husband is awesome at computers. I promise to post the pictures later this week. I really appreciate your time and effort you put into my gift.
Thank you so very much for the wonderful gift Joyce/ happygarden
Hugs
Patti
PS: My husband helped me find the pictures.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 7:25 PM

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 7:44 PM

Thumbnail by rose318   Thumbnail by rose318         

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9417098

I am too jealous of the heart brownish... Whaaaaaaaaa. I want chocolate..

Nope got to stay away. LOL
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9417110

Oh I am so relieved you got the package, I was really afraid it was floating around the US...rofl... Gosh hope the brownies weren't too dried out. ...I didn't think about making my dog tags! One thing is for sure those tags will not fade or break! See how single minded I am about plants..rofl. Enjoy kiddo. I had fun getting the stuff for you.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9417137

The brownies are awesome. I can engrave anything with these metal stamp. I can even add ink to them . There are many things I can create with them. Thank you. ;o)
Patti

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9417159

I just want thank you again Jan for Valentine exchange. It was really fun. I am very thankful for sharing Valentine with you ladies ,and the beautiful gift of friendship.
Patti
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9417216

Did i get the metal tags in the box?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9417259

My box went out with confirmation notice, PO says it should arrive on 14th. THAT is cutting it WAY too close for my normal life!!

I had all kinds of stuff to mail out today, errands on my lunch. I caulked the studio before work this morning. I'll be glad when we're done and I can roll over and get back to sleep before the 6:30 alarm. NOW... I wake up, think of all the things I need to do and I'm skinning into my paint clothes and I'm working in the studio!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9417271

Yes I received the tags. Thank you. That is were I got the idea of dog tags, or even charms. All kinds of possibilities . Where did you find the tags , if you don't mine me asking?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9417274

yes I too want to know about this metal stamp thing?????
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2013
12:39 AM

Post #9417364

Hi, all.
I received a lovely box from Shirley/sbish5 on Tuesday afternoon while I was busily crocheting for my buddy :)
There's a decorative rock that says "bless this garden" and has a picture of a dragonfly (if I remember correctly), a caterpillar decoration, two kinds of bulbs to plant, a cute beanie critter with a heart-shaped nose, a lovely card, a bag of chocolate-covered pretzels (delicious!), and another bag with chocolate hearts and peppermints (will be trying these soon, too!).
Shirley put a lot of work into decorating the boxes of bulbs and the box containing the decorations. And the card is pretty cool, too :) She made the picture of a flower on the front of the card from pictures of flowers that she cut out from magazines and such.
Thank you, Shirley! By the way, what kind of bulbs did you send? I noticed that several have already started sprouting, so I ought to get them planted soon :)
All right... back to crocheting...
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 13, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9417417

Michelle, glad to hear that your package arrived and that you like everything! And , sorry, I had a note that I was going to include telling you what kind of bulbs they are and it got left out of the box. One box is different colored tulips and the other is different colored daffodils. I bought some for my mother also and put them in pots for her. Happy Valentines Day!!

Shirley

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9417505

I want to thank you all so very much for the out pouring of love and caring that came about with this exchange. My dear friend went into the hospital yesterday. She isn't doing well but she did make up a card that I will photograph later and share with you all. She went in early yesterday morning and was in a lot of pain. Hopefully it can be taken care of if not then she knows that she is loved by many.
Many hugs and much love to you all.
Jan
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9417537

Patti I got the tags from Grainger they are down the street from where I work but I ordered online and then picked them up but I am sure they will ship or any type of guy store, habor freight did not have them in the store.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Blank-Tag-1F032?Pid=search
this is the one I ordered. I split the order between 3 of us since I didn't think any of us needed a 100...which after a little thought may not be correct on my part...rofl.
Harbor Freight has the stamp set in the store or online or any guy shop probably has them
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=metal+stamp+set

During Christmas before I thought of these tags I bought a big big brass washers (which were like $3 a piece) and made key chains for the guys in the families. On one I stamped his wifes birthday and anniversary because he is horrible at remembering them, which caused a big laugh for everyone. One I put the name of his old car 1957 Chevy 2-door Loved by Ron...rofl and just different things like that, it was unexpected and fun and cheap...LOL Even tho the washers were really expensive compared to the tags.

Hope this helps anyone who is curious on how to make reasonable priced plant tags or...skys the limit.

The stamp kit and tags I am talking about are actually a metal stamp that you use a hammer and stamp anything metal. Course softer metal the easier, like aluminum, brass. Stainless steel is tougher I have been told. My husband uses them to stamp his tools and things at work before he was retired. The stamp sets range in price from around 8.00 and up at Habor Freight but you can get them at Grainer or all over.

How to make plant tags using your brass tags and the punch set.

1. Place the tag on the surface flat.
Find the letter in your set that you want.
Make sure the letter is facing the correct direction and is face down on the brass tag….I have messed up some by not paying attention…rofl You don’t want a backwards C … LOL
2. At this point you will still be holding on to the letter, but I only had two hands, can’t hold the letter, hold the hammer, and hold the camera…all at the same time. So hold the letter from the punch set and hit the top of the punch set with the hammer. Really doesn’t take a lot of force to imprint the tag with the letter.
3. Once you have put in one letter, get the next letter and repeat. Some people draw a line on the tag so the names are straighter but I don’t bother with that.
It is easier than hammering in a nail I think.
I used clothes line wire for the plant tag I sent you, but if you have old wire clothes hangers they will work. I got wire at home depot, but you will need a pair of wire cutters, which are scissors on steroids…rofl.
The stamp set will last forever probably and the tags should also and the cost I think is really reasonable compared to most plant tags. I was making my own tags from aluminum and an engraver but this is MUCH easier and I was not a great engraver by hand so these are more readable.
Easy as 1, 2, 3

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden      

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9417540

So sorry to hear Jan. So very tough. Words at times like these seem so small.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9417590

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Happ love this idea. Wonder if you could use flashing Nd cut out your own tags? I have a huge roll of copper flashing. I will try to remember to do the. Will also be getting the stamps too.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9417632

Jan, sorry to hear about Linda in the hospital! Praying for her, that she will be feeling better soon! keep us posted please?
Love that idea Hap!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9417658

Elfie flashing would work great, any soft metal. I used tin snips and cut aluminum that DH had laying around for the ones I was engraving at first and just drilled a hole in the tag to run the wire thru. I filed the sides down so they werent sharp for the dogs but if you don't have 4 dogs running around you wouldn't have to do that.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9417696

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298190/

There is an Easter swap open, come and check it out please?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9417726

thanks for the info on the stamper...

I got a wonderful valentine delivered to my house today!! from my Sailor son.

Thumbnail by barefootT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9417738

What a beautiful Valentine Thunder!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9417798

Mind didn't make it but I am not feeling any disappointment due to all the love that was sent for my dear friend. I pray that she pulls though it this time too. Only she can say how much is too much and when to stop. She has just been my best and dearest friend I have ever had.
thank you all again

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9418152

Sorry Jan to hear Linda not doing well. She is in my prayers.
Patti

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9418157

The stamper is a great gift. I was thinking I can engrave tags for charms,and even add ink to them. Thanks for the information on getting more tags.
Patti

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9418305

Jan, your's was mailed and it's scheduled to be delivered on 14th, there is a small gift and card in there for Linda as well.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9418315

Ladies, just wanted to let you all know that I will be out of town till Tuesday, if my package shows up hubby will let me know, but I will not be able to post pictures till I get back.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9418318

Have a safe trip Linda.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9418319

Thanks Pat.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9418444

Thank you Pat,
My friend Linda is in the hospital. Went in yesterday with extreme pain in the belly area and they say from the scan that there is a lot of fluid around the tumor area and possibly causing some bowel blockage. She is just miserable. I pray that they can help her and give her some relief. They are also giving her another transfusion just in case they have to operate. Please keep her in your prayers tonight.
You are all so wonderful to have sent her the cards and goodies. They truly meant so much to her.
Hugs to all of you.
I will keep my eyes open tomorrow, Pat.
Thanks
Jan
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2013
11:26 PM

Post #9418486

Hi, all.
Mailed my buddy's box today... Well, the first part anyway. I was really hoping to get my crocheted item done to include with it, but I'm still working on that part. Wanted to get the perishables sent now. I asked when it would arrive and was told probably Friday, so be watching for it to arrive then. Sorry I didn't get it in the mail in time to arrive Thursday. I'll let you know when the other package is coming so you can be watching for it :)
Oh, and the card is signed by me and my guide dog :) (forgot to include my DG name in there...)
Shirley, thank you so much for the bulbs. Will have to get them planted :) It will be fun to find out what colors the flowers are :)
By the way, did you have a chance to take pictures for me before you mailed things? If so, can you post them? Thanks!
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 14, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9418551

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL YOU GARDENERS OUT THERE!

(and, nope, sorry Michelle, I did not take pics before I sent it out to you)

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 11:47 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9418587

Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9418605

Happy Valentines Day! Hubby put my card in the edge of my purse so I would have it first thing today! What a sweetie.

Patti you are so much more creative than me, and those disks come in colors, but I don't know if those were stainless or not and I don't know how hard stainless is to stamp, just know it is a harder metal...you have some great ideas!

Have a great day everyone. Love the flowers Thunder.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9418629

How many letters can you stamp on one disk? Can you stamp around the edge to get longer words on them?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9418791

The stamping kit comes in different size letters, you can buy a kit with small letters, or a kit with larger letters or like my husband I think he has one huge kit with different sizes. Then you can stamp anywhere you want on metal. When I used the washer I was able to get: First Christmas 2013 around the inside edge and then Carol Joyce Doug Vicki on the outer edge...so it depends on the size of the letter on the end of the stamping kit and then what you are stamping on.
On those original disk I sent to Patti you could put the letters closer together, and make two rows. They have disks that are bigger and some that are MUCH bigger...rofl.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9418794

Happy Valentines to all!! I will try to post the pics of my valentine that Mittsy sent. Ok, lets see what happens... OMG! It's working!! First. the placemat, tea towel, mug rug, and chocolat bar. Second, the towel, note the cuppa and croisant, and the mug rug. Doesn't show the really cute ruffle on the tea towel but the first pic does. Third, Look at the name on the paper. I've been told that 'mork' means 'dark' and there you have the proof!!! I haven't tasted it yet but dark chocolate is my very favorite!!! Fourth, somehow Mittsy knew that my favorite flower is the Iris and she made this beautiful placemat with Iris on it. Isn't it beautiful?! Fifth, the back of the placemat. When I see what beautiful work Mittsy does with the embroidery I begin to wonder if maybe I should look into it...
Mittsy, you have somehow figured out that I love chocolate (mork) and Iris and tea. Thank you so much. I will treasure these gifts and remember the taste of the chocolate.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9418800

Not to leave out the rug mug. I've been looking at it trying to figure our how you did it, Mittsy. I think a tutorial is in order here... Very clever and probably easy once the process is understood. It will live right by my sewing machine as I nearly always have a cup of tea nearby.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9419028

You need six 5" squares and one 4 1/2" square of batting. First step is to fold four of them in half and press. Step two - overlap them into a basketweave square with all folded edges facing in to the center. Stitch all around the outer edge. Step three layer one batting square between two other square with right sides out. Stitch and "x" to lock in place. Put two units together and stitch 1/4" seam. Trim corners and turn inside out and press.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9419032

next 5 pictures

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9419037

This is from Linda my friend. She wanted you all to know how much she appreciated everything.
Thank you all

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9419049

front and back. Its nice to slip the base of a wine glass into the center opening.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9419055

Keeping Linda in my prayers.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9419145

Does Linda have a puppy like what was on the card? She is diffently in our thoughts...

Mittsy thank you for the tutorial, I need to try that. I haven't done any sewing in years and years.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9419159

Yes, she has two mini schnauzers, named Abbey and Kimber.

Oh Psychw2, I got your awesome package but I dont quite understand the little metal things on the bottom of the saucers. Hum. Am I missing something? They Valentine apron is wonderful I will wear it tonight and all the goodies in the three cups look yummy. Please explain what the things are on the bottom of the cups? Sorry I am at a loss.

I love caramels and OMG did you make it all including the toffee. Oh My Gosh. I am going to roll around like a beach ball after all these goodies.

Thank you for Lindas gift. She just got home from the hospital so I am going to take it over to her. Here is a picture of her puppies

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 3:50 PM
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9419171

These are Linda sweet puppies Abbey and Kimber.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9419278

Thanks Mittsy! I will probably try that tomorrow.
Jan, glad to hear that your friend Linda is home. And what sweet puppies!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9419280

This is my Valentine from Psychw2. Awesome yummy goodies and a wonderful apron but I don't quite understand the cups

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9419299

ohhhh I bet they screw onto a post...so they can go out side for bird feeders!!!! my hubs brother has made some, I saw pictures of them...

wonderful Pressies going around... ^_^

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 14, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9419356

Had a wonderful day with Kris. We almost shopped til we dropped. Took pic of her swap box. Me of bad memory forgot who it was... maybe DeeJay???? correct me if I am wrong. I am sure Kris will follow up with a description in more detail

Thumbnail by goldhillal

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 14, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9419396

I got my swap package from Kris today when we met for a girls day out. It was a wonderful and thoughtful box.
A 'Love' heart plaque, which I immediately hung on the titchen wall so I could see and enjoy it.
A valentine mug with an assortment of herbal teas
A beautiful sweet card
A pair of valentine socks, which I immediately put on and have enjoyed wearing all day
AND a pottery fairy house, handmade by Elfie!! It is so cute and so thoughtful and I shall think of her every time I see it. I plan to nestle it among the daffodils and hope a fairy will come to live in it very soon!!
Thanks so much for the box of valentine gifts, and a grand day together!

Thumbnail by goldhillal

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9419414

LOL Jan, I realized AFTER I had it all packed up that I had not sent an explaination. Thunder is right, you hammer in a length of 1/2 inch rebar, or doweling, or copper tube into the ground and then set the cup on them. I like to group them in 3 of different heights and use them as garden art,. You can fill them with bird seed or not. Some people glue/secure a spoon across the saucer to provide a perch for the perching kinds of birds.

Yes, I made the carmels and the toffee. I made myself sick eating them, why shouldn't you??? LOL. I don't eat much fat usually and let's face it, what is a carmel or toffee but sugar and butter!!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9419504

Hi, all.
Oh, what lovely presents everyone received today :) And those toffees and caramels sound wonderful!
I'll see if I can have my husband take a picture for me and help me post it so you all can see what Shirley sent me.
Michelle
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9419610

OMG each one of those post of pressies are really nice and so different. Love the pics and really great presents...wow

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9419667

Ohhh,, such a wonderful day we had yesterday. The best Valentines Day ever. We started out sorting seeds and taking pictures of all the great gifts I recieved, then Crystal and I headed to Lowes and shopped the clearance racks. Then to Home Depot where we found only the lonely bunch of onions. After that we headed to the thrift stores where we scored some amazing stuff. Then lunch at olive garden, then more shopping. Whew. I was so tired when I got to my Grandsons house and then had to take him out to dinner for his birthday. By the time we got home, i just crashed for the night. Had a great day and was so happy with all my gifts and very happy that Crystal liked everything I made for her!

Thanks again Rose for the beautiful wreath and also the towel which will remind me of you every year as I use them both.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 15, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9419684

What great fun you two had!! IT is nice to be able to share "the small things" that mean so much with someone and just have fun!!

Looks like we all have been receiving some really great valentine boxes also!! This has been so much fun sending out boxes and waiting to see the great variety of things we all received!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9419750

Oh My God, the caramels are so dang yummy, I woke up in the middle of the night wanting some. My husband loves the toffee and I am on a chocolate overload. I am going to not eat any more for at least a week if not two. I need the recipe for the caramels and toffee though. hehehe Thank you so much and now I understand about the glue problem. hehehe I will go get some copper tubing as dowels here in Oregon get way to wet. Love the adorable apron and Linda says thank you for the cookies. She said to me, do you know who made these and I said yes she made me some yummy caramels and toffee and she said,hehehe, and I got cookies? she was laughing so I will take her some of mine to taste. hehehe
Thank you all.
Linda is back home and after another transfusion and a few other procedures she is feeling much better. Thank you all for you generosity and kindness.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9419825

uh oh... you spilled the beans Jan!!! told her about your candy when "all she got was cookies!!" NOW ya gotta share, serves you right!! But hey, those are WORLD famous cookies!! (OK, maybe not world famous but anyone who has ever had my sugar cookies begs for more)

I'll post the carmel and toffee recipes later today, headed out for my DAY OFF!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9419923

Heheh, actually she is diabetic but she cheats and no one can stop her. NO ONE>

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9420264

I think I am almost in heaven!!!! just got home from work and opened my box...who told Michelle I love shortbread cookies???? and they are home made !! HOMEMADE shortbread cookies ^_^ and...home made chocolate dipped apricots...have to post a few photos to show how yummy they are..

THANK YOU Michelle.

I finished the 2nd half of my gift, it will get mailed Monday, my next day off.

pics will be a separate post, I took them with my phone...can't find the camera...it is probably buried in fabric in the sewing room :)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9420287

Here you are...mmmmm cookies... LOL

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT      

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9420332

Is that wild green & pink tree print Christmas fabric?? I LIKE!!

Yummy treat and so much self control... you took pictures BEFORE they were gone!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9420371

Christmas table cloth...you weren't supposed to notice...I have not gotten around to changing it...I really like this one, got it a few years ago at wal mart. wish I could find it in fabric... I think it is bright and cheery !!

I keep telling myself I should design an applique Christmas quilt based on the designs...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9420389

OHHhhhhhh that's right!! I have seen this print, it's a vinyl, fabric backed right?? I LOVE it and everytime I see it am disappointed that it is not fabric!!! LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9420467

YUP...
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
1:45 AM

Post #9420614

Hi, all.
Yay! Thunder received her box! Was hoping it would really arrive on Friday :)
Glad you are enjoying the goodies :) By the way, the nuts sprinkled on the chocolate dipped apricots are pistachios.
By the way, Monday is a holiday... President's Day, so the post office will be closed.
Michelle
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9420635

Thanks so much for posting all the pictures of your wonderful presents. I have enjoyed looking at all of them, and think that we are indeed lucky to have found such wonderful sharing and talented online friends. I may never meet you all face to face, but feel that I "know" you through our swaps.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9420726

Love this swap!!! Love the friendship and sharing here.

Thanks so much Susie.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9420747

All I can say is that I am so proud to be a part of this wonderful family of friends. Love you all

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9420994

I had a wonderful time in this Valentine exchange . I am truly blessed to received such wonderful gifts. Thank you.
Patti
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9421169

Did you all notice how many replies we got on this thread, and the one before. Woo Hoo, we rocked the boat. Thank you all.,
Lets see, whats the next holiday, Easter or the 4fh of July. I'll let someone else host that but I'll be there,

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 16, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9421318

Great swap everyone. It was great fun at a kind of dull time of year for me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9421326

Actually there is an Easter/ St Patrick's day exchange being organized now.

edited to include link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298190/

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 2:15 AM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9421351

Linda called to ask me to post that her box arrived today. She is still in San Antonio babysitter. So she will post her pictures on Tuesday when she gets home. She said to thank Morknotmindy for the great box. Her hobby opened it and told her everything in it.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9421373

Is that her hobby or her hubby, heheheh. I guess it could be both. hehehe

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9421464

LOL LOL thats funny Jan ^_^ and Heavenscape / Jaye ALWAYS does a red white and blue swap, I forget if it is around end of May?? memorial day? or closer to July 4th...watch for it.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9421726

Hubby,,, stupid phone.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9421735

LOL... gotta love auto fill. I imagine there is a way to shut the auto fill off. It messes with messages sometimes and is VERY stubborn / It will "correct" something over and over again when I NEED it to my way!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9422349

I just had a couple of apricots...MMMMMMM good. ^_^ thank you again Michelle.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2013
12:00 AM

Post #9423921

Hi, all.
Here's a picture of my gifts from Shirley. The Valentine's bear even has a heart-shaped nose. The garden stone and the caterpillar were in the middle box. The left and right boxes contain bulbs, one of which is sitting on top of each box. And most of the goodies, although some disappeared before the photo was taken. Hmm... maybe that's why the bear's hands were tied together when he arrived. :)
Michelle

Thumbnail by GardenQuail

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 19, 2013
4:22 AM

Post #9423977

How funny! Tied hands!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9424063

Love the monkey!!! Very nice box of gifts.

This has been such a great swap!! Thanks Jan for hosting this.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9424078

wonderful goodies!!!

Mittsy, part two ships out today. sure hope you find it worth the wait. ♥♥♥ and Enjoy !!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9424123

We have a few swaps open, come and check them out.

6th Annual 3 B-House Swap
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298478/

2013 "EASTER PARADE
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298190/
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9426248

:) I decided it was to keep him from eating all the goodies before they arrived! LOL :)
Michelle
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9426348

My second box arrived from Thunder. Thank you so much, Thunder, well worth waiting for! I just love the tote and pincushion/needle holder. I know how much you all love pictures so I charged the camera and took pictures first thing this morning. Both items, tote front, tote back. inside showing pockets, and cushion. I remember that boot fabric from a cowboy quilt we made for the babies. I really needed another pincushion to use just for needles as my needle supply has been dwindling and good ones are quite expensive. Now that I have a place for them, I will be better able to keep better track of them. As always you are all the best and I feel so privileged to have such a wonderful group of online friends. Many thanks to our hostess Jan for organizing another wonderful holiday swap. I'm sure we are all continuing to pray for Linda.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9426469

Where are the pictures Mittsy?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9426488

Speaking of pictures, this is what I got from Gloria/Mork. I love all you sent it is so pretty, and yes I loce chocolate.

First she made this beautiful wall hanging, she called it cactus flower! Isn't it beautiful! Then she made the mug rug to go with it. She sent a coffee cup covered in hearts with teddy bear, a box of hot chocolate, and some chocolate kisses.
Gloria, you mentioned in the card the Arizona cup? It was not in the box. The box arrived pretty smashed, and it was re taped by the post office. Sorry if the Arizona cup is missing. I would really like to see what it looked like, as you said you painted it. Do you have a picture of it?

Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9426490

This is what the box looks like.

Thumbnail by taters55

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9426788

My pictures are probably out in cyberspace somewhere, going to try again.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9427168

I was hoping you would get it today, I sat outside on my tailgate for lunch!! it was so nice...warm and quiet..ducks in the retention pond...and I thought about you...thinking of the black and white, when I saw a loon...wondered if it had arrived.

I used a new type of filler in that pin cushion...read about it on a blog. please let me know how you like it...supposed to keep needles sharp, and keep them from getting rusty...I made one for me too...the last one I did for myself came out "strange" I don't know what I did, but it is very VERY hard to stick the pins in ?? I keep thinking I need to open it up and pull out some stuffing, all I can figure is it is stuffed too much?? I have made more than I can count of these, and this is the first time this has happened...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9427248

That's odd Thunder, wonder what the problem was? Let us know when you figure it out!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9427263

Love that tote bag Thunder, you have done a wonderful job making it! What do you use for the stuffing in the pin cushions?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
3:29 AM

Post #9427528

I took the tote bag and needle cushion to the library last night and everyone commented on how nice it is and how lucky of me to have gotten a bag in black and white.
We are all making totes for our irons. We have insulbrite and teflon all cut and now we each get to pick our fabrics and buttons. I'll post pictures next week on our progress. Should be a variety of styles and looks.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9427560

the pattern for that bag called for pinks / reds and a small blue print. as soon as I saw it I thought it would look good in B & W.
I am thinking of doing another with some green.

LK I usually use a combination of batting bits, and poly stuffing you get in a bag. I cut the strips pieces that are cut off of edges of quilt, when done quilting, and going to put binding on. I cut those cut off pieces into little random little bits, and use for stuffing, I use it in any of the critters I make, as well as in pin cushions.
I have read on many blogs that crushed walnut shells work very well, for pin cushions, sharpens pins, and keeps them from rusting over time. so I started looking around for it. could not find anything local. to order online was expensive, imho, and shipping was ridiculous !! as I was searching, I came across a few blogs that said sand blasting materials were a fantastic replacement for the shells!!?? sew I started to look into that...turns out that some sandblasting materials are same as some used for tumbling... dried and crumbled corn cob. comes in many different sizes.
I was sorta taking to myself / reading out loud and Dave asked what was I mumbling about...so I told him...and he says...odd?? I have a big jar of that tumbling stuff, if you want to give it a try. I will never use all of it. !! it just happened I had a few empty pin cushions sitting here. filled one up with the stuff, and tried it out , I liked how easily the pins stuck in, and decided I would do another one and send to Mittsy, as I was sending the tote bag, and planned to also send a pin cushion anyways.
Mittsy and I are are the product testers, Although I forgot to add a note in the package telling her about it !!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9427636

Glad to hear you did your homework, and found the items you needed at home!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9427813

Linda, Egads!!!What happened to that package!? I guess I should have insured it... The cup that was missing was one that I saw at Walgreens, an Arizona cup in browns, Indian designs. I did not paint it. And it was brimming with chocolate kisses. Did you only get two??!! LOL There was also a funky Snoopy valentine pin. I will send another cup full of chocolate kisses as soon as I get back into Tucson. That package looked like a gorilla had jumped up and down on it... Glad the other cup was ok.
Thander, love the black and white hearts!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9427880

Sorry no snoopy pin either. There was only the two kisses in the box! Looks like they played football with it.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 22, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9428130

Someone at the Po enjoyed kisses. Well, maybe they needed them!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9428622

Several years back I participated in a Valentine swap and never did get my box. I figure the chocolate is too much of a temptation to some postal workers. Glad you got some of it.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9429922

Linda, I found another cup and got more kisses. Alas, no snoopy pin... I'm also making another mug rug. I like it so well I'm making me one too! I think I'll call it 'Desert Marigold". Anyway, I hope to get it off in the mail tomorrow. This time I bought some new wrapping tape so hopefully it will reach you all in one piece... I've been laughing about the two lonely kisses you got. I hope you didn't think that was all I sent! Are you sure your husband didn't eat some of them when he opened the package? LOL
I'd better get back over to the 'studio' and finish those mug rugs.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9429971

LOL, Gloria, my DH would have drooled like a well trained dog but he would NOT have touched my chocolate without asking!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9430086

I had a feeling something was missing when he opened the box, and told me the condition it was in. No hubby is not a chocolate lover like I am, he loves his salty treats like chips and popcorn.
And please don't feel like you have to replace the missing items. I love what I did get!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 7:36 AM
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
1:27 AM

Post #9430587

Hi, all.
I'm thinking that Snoopy made a great escape with the chocolate kisses! LOL ... Seriously, though, I'm very sorry to hear that your box arrived in such poor condition with missing items. Hoping the replacements make it to you in better shape!
Well, I'm hoping to get Thunder's second package out to her early this week. Have the crocheting all done :)
Michelle

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9431794

Hey Linda, the package is on it's way! Hope they don't play soccer with this one...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013

Post #9431838

Thanks for the heads up! I will post as soon as it arrives.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 26, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9431987

Don't cha just love the postal system sometimes!!!! I was waiting for a box one time for over a week longer than what it was supposed to take to get here and then when it finally did come it was literally SOAKED !! The mail lady said oh, I'm sorry but there must be a leak in my truck, I thought I moved it over far enough to not get wet. Luckily it was only some daylilies that I ordered and the water actually helped keep them alive inside the box for the "extra" week it took to get here!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9432166

Ya, or the post office that SAT on my returned envelopes for over 6 weeks. I finally went in and ASKED WHERE all my mail went because NONE of swap buddies had gotten the blocks I sent them. OH ya... here they are. "I didn't have enough postage on them". Did I mention my husband brought them in and THEY determined the postage? Grrrrrr ... LOL!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9432435

Almost makes you want to 'go postal'...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9432624

YES!! I was irked royally that is for sure! ESpecially since THEY weighed it and THEY told him how much postage and then SAT ON MAIL!!! I was going crazy! I ended up sending everybody a new set of charms since the first were "lost in the mail"!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9432801

Hi, all.
Oh, that would be extremely frustrating! Here's to hoping all our packages yet to be sent make it to their recipients without any more trouble!
Thunder, my apologies... was hoping to mail out your second part of the swap, but I wasn't able to make it to the post office yet. I should get there later this week though. Will let you know when it's on its way!
Michelle

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9433046

No worries Michelle.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9433575

To all of you that have been within my thoughts for my dear friend, she was brought home to Toledo but to an Adult Care Facility. OMG. she was not told that she wasn't going home. I went to her side and she was just sobbing and I tried so hard to let her know that this is just a temporary situation, whether it is or not. The Doctors don't give her much time. Her daughter was able to bring one of her dogs down to cheer her up and that helped. They are going to let her decorate her room anyway she wants it which should help her to feel more comfortable with her own pillows and comforters. Pictures and anything else even her favorite chair. She has her own room but the place smells of Urine in my sensory. I am very sensitive to bad odors and its not horrendous but not nice either. We will have to see what we can do about that.
Anyway, just wanted to update you all since you were all so very kind with the valentines and all the love you sent. I know it meant a lot to me and she was over whelmed by folks that didn't even know her.
Hugs everyone.
Jan

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9433644

Sorry to hear she could not go home, but glad to hear she can have the family make her comfy with her own belonging's, and decorations! Sending prayers for her!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9434325

Gloria, your box arrived in perfect condition yesterday afternoon. I love the cup you sent, and all the kisses will last me a long time! Well, maybe through the week end! ^_^ Love the mug rug too, it is beautiful! Oh, those iddy biddy bunnies were delicious!
Thanks again for the replacement items the post office lost.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 12:40 PM

Thumbnail by taters55

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9434593

Very nice Linda Kay, chocolate is good anytime!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9434874

^_^ nice goodies LK

I just ate another cookie, only a few left :( still have a few apricots YUM

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9434943

Whew! Glad the pkg. made it there in one piece.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9435107

Hi, all.
LK, that's great that you received the replacement box intact! The goodies sound wonderful :)
Michelle
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9435250

I am so sorry to hear that our wonderful Postal service did it again but I am so glad that you got your replacement package in one piece.
So all in all, was this a success? Did everyone receive their valetines? I know mine was wonderful. I still need to get the dowels but I am waiting for nicer weather so I can decide where I want to put them. My little bird feeders or waterers We have so much water here that the rain would keep them filled I will have to find a place to put the other so I can put seed in it and it won't get wet. heheh

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9435281

Hope everyone got their boxes, this was a great swap Jan! Looking forward to your next one!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9435311

We did have fun, didn't we? Let see, I think my next one will be a Fourth Of July one, but need to think it through a bit.

Do I have your thinking gears whirring yet? heheheh
I think this can be fun once again. I think though that I will start it earlier so that we have plenty of time to create.
Taking suggestions.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9435331

Maybe you can get with Jaye, as she always runs the red white and blue swap. This is a very popular swap with everyone.

Check out last years swap, we had a lot of ladies sign up for it!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255544/#axzz2MIgVhn6S

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9435368

it has been a wonderful swap Jan ^_^

Michelle has said she will be sending me another package, sew we are not quite finished. Odd coincidence , that I sent my valentine out in two parts, and that I am receiving mine also in two parts??!!!

Happy March. I think I will wear some green today...come on in SPRING !!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9435503

Yes Jan, it was great fun. Thanks!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9435997

Hi, all.
Thunder, your other package is on its way! It's coming first class in an envelope (didn't weigh enough to make sense to mail it priority mail). But it does have a tracking number. I'll dmail it to Jan once I can have someone read it to me.
Jan, I've also mailed an envelope in care of you for your friend Linda. Please let me know when you receive it as I did not get a tracking number for it.
I've really enjoyed this swap! Hopefully, I can get an earlier start on my creations next time! (I think I would have gotten an earlier start this time if my hands hadn't been so chapped and sore. I've had more of a problem with it this winter than usual.) But I had lots of fun, too :)
Michelle
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9436017

Oh Michelle, I guess you haven't heard but she is in an Adult care Facility now much to her disappointment as she feels that she shouldn't be there and is fighting everyone including her daughter tooth and nail. I am doing everything possible to keep her from putting her shoes on and taking off out the front door. They have had to take her shoes away as she can barely walk and doesn't remember things from day to day. Oh, its such a long story and I am really too tired to go into it tonight but I will dmail you tomorrow. I will take it to her never the less and hopefully it will cheer her up a bit. The doctors are saying two months but Its not up to him as with the will that she has she may surprise us all. I hope so.
Thank you so much Michele. That is so sweet of you.
Hugs to all of you wonderful caring ladies.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
11:05 PM

Post #9436180

Hi, all.
Jan, I did see your post about her being in the adult care facility. I debated as to whether I should still send it or not. Decided that since I said I'd send the card, I wanted to still do that. I do wish I could have gotten it to you a bit sooner, but I'm hoping that the card and the extra something I included will help cheer her up a bit. Perhaps a little bit of decoration to brighten her room :) I'll be keeping you, Linda, and her family in my prayers.
Oh, and Thunder, my husband says the slip with the conf number says the envelope should arrive Monday :) Sending conf number to Jan now.
Michelle
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9436434

Thank you all again.
Seems that everyday now she is getting a little closer to her maker but she is one heck of a fighter.
Even the caregiver says she is a handful as she still thinks she is going to put her shoes on and walk up that hill to her house.
All I can do is try and comfort her. I just hope she understands that there is nothing I can do with out the permission of her daughter and hospice..
Thanks again all
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9437034

Jan, that's so difficult for all of you. Know that I'll be keeping you all in my prayers. I know it can seem like that's not doing a lot, but there really is a lot of power in prayer. Sending a big hug your way!
Michelle
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9437071

Her Daughter just asked my husband and I to move into her mother home. We live in a small house about a block away that is very comfortable but very small. She said she didn't want to ask anyone else as she know how well we take care of things and she doesn't want to sell so I know that this will make My friend so happy to know that we will be taking care of her home like it were our own. We are honored and it is still on the back burner.
A lot to work though here.
I am so confused.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9437200

Jan, just to cover your behind, you need to have Linda and her Sister or who ever is power of attorney to sign an agreement to that affect. If her Sister has power of attorney sometimes things can get nasty, so you need to get some sort of agreement in writing.
I have seen things like this go really wrong, just because friends were willing to help out.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9437337

Lindas daughter has the power of Attorney and also total control over all of her belongings,everything. All I can say is that this way I can hopefully keep it together for Lindas sake. Still on the back burner and nothing is set in stone yet.
It is Linda's daughter that wants us to move in to the house but this does entail a lot of work. Just not sure where this will end up but will keep you all informed.
Going to see Linda today. Not going to mention any of this as I don't want to upset her other then to let her know her dogs will be cared for. That is her biggest concern.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9437350

Give her hugs from us please?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9437437

Jan are you renting where you live? and does that mean giving up YOUR home and house hunting again when there need for you needs? There are a lot of unanswered questions.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9437467

Yes, we are renting and all of the details of which there are a lot to discuss and get in writing before we say absolutely to anything. Linda has belongings to the max that needs to be gone through and I am sure that Michele is going to want me to help with that and that is only the beginning.
I am not going to jump into anything until its all clear in all our minds.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9437796

Good idea Jan.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9437922

I have learned something in my 60 some years.,

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9437940

Love that picture of you Jan!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9438777

got the package Michelle ♥♥♥ it is fantastic!!

Michelle sent a beautiful crocheted hot pad..I will take a picture and send in the next post (have to use my phone, camera is in hiding )

hopefully I will be able to find the thread from my phone...LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9438783

Two pics, two sides, both beautiful♥♥♥

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9438843

Thunder, that is beautiful! Nice job Michelle!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9438970

Too cute! Who'da thunk you could crochet a heart hot pad!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9439053

yea it is wonderful ^_^
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9439138

GardenQuail, I recieved your card today and took it over to Linda. She was sleeping so I didn't get a chance to see her open it. I will let you know tomorrow.
Thank you so much for your kindness everyone.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
11:25 PM

Post #9439163

Hi, all.
Glad to hear both envelopes were received :)
Thunder, the hot pad is one of a kind... I found a pattern on the web for the hearts, but didn't quite like how they did parts of them, so redesigned them a bit. Then I made up my own pattern for the hot pad. I wrote the pattern down, but unfortunately, my computer garbled the file. So, now, it's a one-of-a-kind hot pad! I'm glad you like it :)
Michelle
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9454523

Just a quick update. Linda is deteriorating and isn't expected to last through the week. I just wanted to thank you all for all the kind cards and gifts and thoughts you sent to her. They meant a lot to her and so very much to me. I think I probably gave her my last hug last night. She is is a care facility and they only allowed me in as we were like sisters. I was able to make her smile and open her eyes a little and to reassure her that all her loved ones that have gone on before her are planning a grand celebration and are there to welcome her home with open arms. I told her I would take good care of her fluffy babies and keep her daughter in line. That made her smile and said thank you and I love you and closed her eyes. I kissed her goodbye then came home and cried
Hugs to you all.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9454562

Oh Jan, I'm sending you hugs. It's hard to say goodbye and as you said she has family & loved ones waiting for her on the other side.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9454586

Thank you, I kind of feel like Sally Field in Steel Magnolias when she said I may be selfish but I would rather have her here with me but I know she will be with out pain and she will always be beautiful.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9454658

Sorry to hear that Jan! I agree, it is never easy to say good bye! Sending lots of prayers!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9454760

So so sorry to hear the news, sending you lots of hugs..
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9454888

Jan, I will keep you all in my prayers.
Michelle

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9455115

Jan,
I am so sorry to hear about Linda not doing well. Praying for Linda and her family.
Patti

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9455131

Aw Jan. Losing someone is so very hard. After my sister died and then my mom, I promised myself to appreciate and enjoy every day, not just for myself but for them. They aren't here to see the sun rise or hear the birds sing or a million other things the we so often take for granted, but I am. I whisper to mom, 'Wow! Look at that sunrise!'. Or I tell my sister how beautiful her grandchildren are. It helps me to to appreciate all the wonderful things that I see or experience every day. Of course, there are times when I don't appreciate certain things. However, I am still here to be aggravated or ill or angry. Life is hard. But it is still pretty darn good. Remember the happier times with your dear friend and be thankful for them.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9455170

Hugs Jan...many many hugs ♥♥♥
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9455249

Thank you all so much as of 6:00 she is still hanging on. The Hospice nurses don't see it lasting much longer. I am just so glad that I was able to hug her and tell her I loved her and thanked her for always being there for me and whether she heard me or not I feel good knowing that I was at least able to say that last good bye.
Its the sudden deaths and accidents that really take a toll on family as you haven't had the opportunity to say good bye.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9455257

Jan, She heard every word you said. As you know a touch can say volumes. She knows you love her. That can never be replace or taken from either one of you.
You have been truly blessed to have each other. You both are my prayers.
Patti
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9455449

This is her home that we will be moving into in May, well we will begin as of now but be fully in by the beginning of May
and this is the home that we live in now. We will be staying in it for at least 5 years then possibly moving to San Antonio if
my daughter has anything to say about it. They were looking forward to it being sooner but time changes everything.
It is a wonderful home I just wish I could have spent time in it together.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader      

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
4:34 AM

Post #9455552

Who owns the old car peeking out? What is it?
Love both of the homes! What part of San Antonio does your daughter live in?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9455684

Oh, I forgot about that. That was my husbands old Ranchero. He sold that a few years ago. This is an old pic

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9455692

Do you know what year it is? Hubby has a 64 ranchero. Among all the other hot rods!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9455810

Jan, I read on Facebook that Linda passed away, and just want to send my condolences to you and the family!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9456478

Jan,,, so very sorry for the loss of your friend.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013

Post #9456501

Jan,
I am sorry to hear of your dear friend passing. Your both are in my thought and prayers.
Hugs
Patti
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9456785

Taters, Gregs was a '64 too. He got it from our son in law in San Antonio,Texas about 12 years ago at least. We sold it in August 2011.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9462751

Jan,
Sending many comforting hugs your way. Would have posted sooner, but I've been transitioning from one computer to another, so just saw the news.
Michelle
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9463018

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, the bottom drops out. My husbands 39 year old son died of a massive heart attack last night. They have been sort of estranged for a few years but never the less he was still his son and he feel so guilty for not being there for him all the time. His son sort of went his own way no mater how we tried to bring him into the family he sort of got mixed up with the wrong crowds.
But now that he is gone, we can't even say goodbye or tell him how much he was loved. I hope that God lets him know that he was always in our hearts and in our thoughts.
This year has got to start getting better.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9463046

Oh, Jan. So sorry about your stepson. You know, you can only do so much and try to keep good relations with your children, or any one else for that matter. The other person has some responsibility in a relationship, whether it works or not, whether they respond with positive or negative reactions. And, sometimes for reasons that we can't understand they choose to go their own way. Hopefully your husband has someone he can talk to, to try to dispel some of the guilt he will have. A parent can only do the best they can.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9463062

Sending you and hubby lots of hugs ans prayers Jan, it is never easy losing a child.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9463088

Jan,
I am so sorry for your family loss. There is a old saying you can lead a horse to water,but you can not make him drink. You can raise your children the best way you know how,and sometimes it is never enough. I know I have been there. I would beat myself up over my children. I am a fixer. I try to fix everything I want everone happy. One hard lesson life is you can't fix everything or everyone. They have to find there way. I wanted my children to learn from my mistake in life,not learn it for themselves that fire burns. Of course , they have to learn it themselves. A few months back my only son told me . You know Mom you were right ,and I said about what? If you were to bail me out of jail when I was teen, my life would have went another direction. I would probably be dead by now or in jail. I didn't understand at the time what your doing ,but I do now. Thanks, you were right. I cried like a baby. I told him . He didn't have to thank me,and I didn't want to hear I was right. I just wanted him happy,and wanted him not die or be in jail. I wasn't doing it to be right. He got his life together ,and has two twins boys. I was widow ,and raised my three children on my own. Please tell your husband .Don't beat himself up for thing he can't change. Remember the good times with his son. Sending Hugs and prayers to your family.
Patti
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9463207

Thank you Patti, I will let him read this. He was separated when they were young through a divorce and his wife more or less kept them out of his life. We have become very close with his daughter and I have three so now there are four. She has two children, a 14 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. We are looking forward to spending some time together this summer. We will have a much larger home and room for company, thanks to my friend Linda that want us to move into her home as her daughter doesn't want to sell it so it will help pay taxes and a little extra. But I am really looking forward to getting to know his daughter, my step daughter and grandchildren too.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9463228

I continued this forum just as an open forum to share the love of family and friends that we have all grown so close to each other. I opened it minus the Valentine.
If you don't want to go on then I will close it but so much love and sharing and caring has flowed from this thread I just hate to close it.
This is the new site.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304370/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Swaps, Trades and Giveaways Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new swap forum! Terry 19 Jan 2, 2013 10:29 AM
CLOSED: Illinois pick up Cheryl_IL 0 Apr 6, 2007 1:57 PM
CLOSED: Anyone have Elvis Prestley Stamp to swap for Marilyn Monroe Gourd 5 Apr 25, 2007 3:34 PM
Spring Cleaning Gardening books, pots, and other items. rose318 54 Nov 26, 2008 1:12 AM
A few cookbooks JenFrazier 1 Apr 30, 2007 1:20 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America