Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: This Seasonís Fruit: Cherries for Christmas - and Beyond: Accurate names matter!

Communities > Forums > Article: This Seasonís Fruit: Cherries for Christmas - and Beyond
bookmark
Forum: Article: This Seasonís Fruit: Cherries for Christmas - and BeyondReplies: 8, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9412435

"You may be startled at reading this, even outraged and at least suspicious. Well you should not be" - err, well, I am, and very rightly should be!

The name 'cherry' correctly refers to species in the subgenus Prunus subg. Cerasus, and should only refer to those species. Species in the genus Eugenia are not cherries, and should not be mis-called cherries, any more than the scandal that has recently happened in Europe where horse Equus caballus meat has been illegally sold labelled as beef Bos taurus:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594
http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Regulation/Police-in-UK-and-Ireland-asked-to-probe-more-horse-meat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/21387754

Consider the effects for example on any person who happens to be able to eat Prunus fruit but has a life-threatening allergy to Eugenia species: if they were sold Eugenia fruit mislabelled as 'cherries', it could well result in serious illness or even death. The reverse may also happen, where someone with an allergy to Prunus would be scared off from eating fruit that they could safely eat.

The names used for items, particularly for food items, must be accurate and unambiguous, and must not try to mislead the consumers of those items.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 8, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9412729

Well, Resin, please do consider the fact that I often use a pitch of humor in my articles...I am not selling fruits but if I were they would definitely sold under the name of BRAZILIAN cherries which is the vernacular name they are known under world-wide. I happen to teach some botany and taxonomy so I am pretty well aware of the possible dangers induced by common plant names which sometimes are used for different species, French people use 'laurier' for both Laurus nobilis and Nerium oleander, one being a spice and the other a deadly poison. And though we do not always add 'laurier sauce' for the cook and 'laurier rose' for the gardener I have never heard of people mixing those two. What would you say if I write something about the thorn-apple, that I am trying to poison folks who would go and eat those Datura fruits?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9413054

Ugh, those articles are horrifying, Resin!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 9, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9413794

Indeed, this is awful and clearly reminds of the 'mad cow' epidemy! But this is a matter of lying and massive profits made on consumer's impossibility to know what happens in the food industry, I do not see much relation with my article...
amygirl
Miami, FL

February 11, 2013
2:46 AM

Post #9414961

There are no 'rules' for common names. This is why there is so much confusion when only the common name is mentioned when discussing a plant. A common name may be used for more than one kind of plant and a plant may have several common names. Botanical names should always be used when referring to a plant... I see that you used both common names and the scientific name...no problems there!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 11, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9415033

Of course, I always use scientific name which is a must as quite often there are no common names if the plants is not edible nor ornamental...
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9415268

I agree that it is criminal to mislabel a product, but I didn't see anything suggesting the horsemeat was unsafe. It could actually make a healthier, at least leaner, product.
Nickseed
Woodstock, GA

February 15, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9420304

I really liked this article because jjacques writes with a joy of life and considerable wit. The section of the biological world portrayed in his articles is always surprising and delightful. Dave's Garden is very fortunate to have a person of such knowledge and experience writing for it. Merci beaucoup.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 16, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9420630

Well Nick I am quite honored and will certainly keep on writing!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: This Seasonís Fruit: Cherries for Christmas - and Beyond Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Eugenia berries, not cherries. 3Riley 1 Feb 12, 2013 12:54 AM
Hardiness! jayemsee 3 Feb 18, 2013 9:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America