Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 8, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9412570

I asked this question on the salvia/agastache forum but I will put it here also. Does anyone in my area of TX have success with growing agastache. I know at least one variety is native to some part of TX but none does anything for me. They have well drained soil and get planted in fall but keep dying in the heat of our summers. Is there a trick or is the heat too much for them. Do they need a climate that cools down more at night. Wondering how they do for others?
C

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9412721

I don't grow it, too many other plants to work with.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9412852

I tried last year with golden jubilee and it did not make it thru the summer here.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9414235

Gosh, I couldn't grow Agastache in Boston because it was too wet. I can't grow it here because it's too hot? Darn it.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9414394

It then begs the question, "Where does it grow well?"
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9414405

The PF lists several called Mexican Hyssop. I have a bit of a feeling that one might work for us. There is a DG member here in Houston who grows it in "woodland-type" shade.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 10, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9414792

I have tried even the native cana species and it didnt survive. I suspect most dont like the hot nights here coupled with the extreme heat.
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

February 11, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9415142

I have tried and tried to grow this plant with zero success. Perhaps I followed the "full sun" directions too well. It bloomed for a while but never made it through a Houston summer. I would be interested to know if anyone else in the Houston area has had luck growing in part shade????
Leslie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9415732

When I tried to grow Agastache in Boston, I always ordered from High Country Gardens. According to Davd Salman, it grows well in Santa Fe, NM!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9416122

Carrie ~ from the HCG site [quote] The key to growing great Agastache plants? Itís simple.
provide a fast draining soil thatís naturally low in fertility,
plant in full hot sun,
donít over amend their soil with too much rich compost,
donít over-fertilize your plant and
resist the temptation to over-water established plants (new transplants need regular irrigation their first growing season to establish themselves).
For Agastache, too much of a good thing in the garden results in huge, over-grown plants with poor flowering or un-naturally elongated, sparse flower spikes. Often times these over-stimulated plants will fail to over winter.
Hummingbird Mints are naturally vigorous, fast growing perennial plants. Establish them with ample water the first growing season and fertilize moderately each fall with slow acting natural or organic fertilizers. But beyond that, apply ďtough love.Ē When grown properly the plants will amaze you and come back much more reliably. [/quote]

Sadly, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read they have now closed their doors.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 12, 2013
2:32 AM

Post #9416286

They are open again, mail order only. I had a love hate thing with them. Great selection of native plants but sometimes the plants were very small. Other times I got great specimens and as I said some of the plants I ordered I could find no where else.

As for agastache, I had full sun, low fertility etc. I have concluded that like a lot of other plants a lack of night time cooling here did them in.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9416310

From what I've read, I'd be more suspicious of our humidity... just a thought.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9416448

Texas humidity seems like no big deal compared to East coast humidity, but we sure did have cooler nights. Mine just didn't like the sogginess back there, in the ground, but were great in containers until the winter.

Yes, apparently Hcg is not quite closed! I agree about the love-hate. Their packaging was AMAZING but the plants were expensive and tiny. But that catalogue!!! Luscious...
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 12, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9416487

I don't think NCT has high humidity. Everywhere else I have lived has had higher.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9416509

NCT?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 12, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9416559

north central TX

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9416621

You need more air in Arlington, nights are definitely not as crisp as in Santa Fe, along the Sandias- tuck em back into a shady spot, and give em the same earth you would give PalmBob's cacti,Good luck

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9416826

I'll bear that in mind, guys!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

February 14, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9419424

Compared to New Mexico, North Texas is humid with hot nights. Unless we have drought. Best thing about the drought is the humidity dies down somewhat, but the temps go even higher.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 15, 2013
2:41 AM

Post #9419563

We have drought every summer! Once again I am not certain but I don't think its humidity. These plants grow in places like N. Carolina for people and that has some humidity. I have some seed of A. cana which is native in W. TX that I am going to sow and try.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9419928

Good luck...let us know.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9419952

Forgot to say. nneed taproot room.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9419955

Definitely true, that's why they didn't like being moved around.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9420400

I have had good luck growing agastache Honey Bee Blue. Lee gave me one at a RU 4-5 years ago, and it lived until last summer. (I lost a lot of stuff that I can't explain last summer.) It reseeds itself and all of the seedlings have transplanted easily as well. Seems to be a good one for this area, if a light fuzzy blue fits your scheme.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9420443

I researchd Honey Bee Blue and it is A. rugosa which is in plant files. Also there is a comment there by Debnes who said she grows them where she lives.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 15, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9420505

I don't know that one, I have been concentrating on the species.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9420512

Do you know Debnes? She just lost her husband.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

February 15, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9420535

There is drought and there is drought. the 6 to 8 weeks without rain we get virtually every summer is not drought.

What happened between October 1 2010 and spring 2012 was a drought.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 16, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9420725

I met her at one of the RU's but can't say I know her. I did read that sad post about her husband.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9422477

When it says to plant in full sun Ive learned that doesn't mean full Texas sun.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

February 17, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9422478

1lisac - I have noted that too. Very few plants really tolerate full Texas sun well if they are transplants. Stuff that starts from seed does ok in full sun though. And Iris. But they just go dormant in August, so it's all good.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9422487

I've noticed that even my tomatoes do better if they get a break from the Texas sun.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

February 17, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9422495

I put my tomatoes where they get just a bit of shade from surrounding shrubs, not much, and they do better.
But wildflowers, for bee forage, they love the sun. Don't bloom as well even in partial shade. I plant Texas wildflowers though.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9422534

I agree the natives love the sun. But I have 2 veggie gardens and the one that gets a little shade thru out the day gives me higher yields.

I have a Wildflower area under a large tree,the branches aren't low enough to block out the sun, and the flowers get up to my waist. If we get enough rain!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9423002

When is it time to put out tomatoes? I have a little cherry tomato I bought at Big Box.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9423208

Carrie- soil temps need to be 50į for maters. are you putting it in ground? I am not sure abt the FW side of Dallas for planting, but I think maters are goin out now- with wind and cold protection for another month...drthor is a good person to watch for when she sets her stuff out.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9423463

OK, I will watch and wait. I would probably put it in a container, which is, clearly, colder. (It took me so long to learn that!)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9423523

just be ready to pot deeper later... if in a container, you can start them hardening off, and yank em in when it gets really chilly...the winds will make them bloom...
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 18, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9423571

You need to think about how hot that container will get. I have learned that a lot of things just don't do well even in large containers due to the high temperatures they reach here in high summer.
C

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9423587

But to start for early Spring container should do to harden off, then into the ground if possible...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9423607

OK, not too cold for containers but too HOT. Gotcha.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9423641

Chuckle, well, in Texas they go from being too cold to cooking in the sun, but in a container, a tomato will grow out the bottom and into the ground anyway, and in a container it goes in for cold and under the shade after about 1 pm if possible. I always park mine where a shade tree does the shading after about 1 pm...

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9429140

I used yo live n garde in tropical texas.

When we moved up here, a client said that until Easter, you cant be sure of no freezes.

Considering the variance of dates for Easter, this has proven to be correct.

So what I do is keep the maters & peppers potted, and trundle them back & forth between inside & outdoors till Easter.

I particularly remember one Easter that was in mid April and at the Saturday night vigil, day before Easter sunday, a cold front blew in as we sat there outside, and it froze overnight.

Thr "official" last frreze date is around March 30 or 31.

I always put out some "sacrificial" tomato plants knowing full well the have a 50 - 50 percent chance o making it or not.

and keep reserves inside just in
case !
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9429354

Was that about 15 yrs ago? That's the general rule I've always been told too.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9429387

LIDA - IT MAY HAVE BEEN THAT LONG-
I WAS A CANTOR AT eASTER VIGIL & THOSE SUDDEN FREEZING WINDS JUST FROZE UP My VOVAL CORDS - lol Sorta like Beyobce at this past inauguration... and it was mid April !!!

so the calendar means NOTHIN to ole Mother Nature

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9429825

Baja? I always went by Easter too, but it is actually the equinox that decides and the El Ninos and plant zone changes have changed some of the dependability. Many people used St Pats day to plant by the moon, or Easter to do the next plants, etc...but family garden plots just planned on covering til the spring winds settled down anyway by May.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

February 25, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9431129

I plant winter crops and spring crops. This year all my winter stuff that tolerates mild freezes got frozen and killed before thanksgiving. I still haven't had any swiss chard or spinach, and my broccoli is 2 inches tall and pathetic.

Tomatoes I try to put out March 15th. I have a 110 gal stock tank I can put over a few plants during a super hard freeze, and the plants will live even if it drops to the single digits (tested that a couple of years ago.)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9431282

You guys in FW will freeze just a week before Easter this yr. Keep your mt flower pots ready to place over plants too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9437402

Good to know, y'all.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9437423

I forgot this thread was about AGASTACHE! I am about to order some from HCG.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 10, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9444704

Who is HCG
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 10, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9444862

I have done that two years running and none survived.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 10, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9444870

looks a lot like blue salvia, which is super easy to start from seed and keep alive. I think I'm sticking with salvia. Bees love it.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9445070

Bees love blue

I love bees

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9446182

Gypsi, HCG is High Country Gardens, who say they specialize in Agastache.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/New_Plants_for_2012

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9446186

And Cheryl, I don't care if they stay in the garden, I just want them to last the summer. After that is bonus.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 11, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9446221

I think that is a nice idea but if you plant them in spring they might not even survive the hottest part of the summer. I want you to have good luck, so you can tell me how!

I ordered about 5 different agastache from HCG, nice variety but sometimes smallish plants. All that I ordered were supposed to be xeric and take the heat. Not a one in two years made it through the summer. Now I did not try the blue type so I can't speak about that one.

I have been asking around DG to see if anyone in this area has good luck with Agastache and so far no one has given me good news regarding this genus. I would like to know what I am doing wrong or if our intense night temps just aren't good for those plants. I grow a lot of other xeric plants including some native to TX.

C
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 11, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9446408

Thank you for the explanation. I'm still at the Burgess and Sand Hill Preservation end of ordering. Food for me, food for bees.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9446510

Gypsi- have you had good luck with Burgess?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9446785

Oh my goodness, I'm still worried about the cold instead of the heat! Idiotic...I will get accustomed to TX eventually!!!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 12, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9446795

I haven't had bad luck with Burgess. But it has been a couple of years since I bought from them too.

I had great luck with Sand Hill, but I have a daughter getting married in May so I need a TON of flowers, and Burgess has the bulb deals without Michigan Bulb's headaches of inappropriate plants for zone 8

Burgess is a little high, but my 5 in one apple tree in Arlington is still alive, and I bought it from them in about 1993 or 1994.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9447315

Burgess has terrible reviews. Sand Hill's are mixed but they are a truly family owned and operated business so there is only so much one can do in 24 hrs. They also specialize in Preservation. Looking at their catalog is like a text book. I wouldn't want you stuck with no flowers bc Burgess didn't come thru.

Carrie- you have good reason to be concerned about the cold still, after all this is Texas so the next couple of Months could go either way. Lol

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9447375

We actually have enjoyed this winter very much--especially compared to the one they're having back east.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9447509

I agree. After the last couple of days I'm sure spring is here to stay. Somehow I've already forgotten that it was freezing less then a week ago. If we don't get anymore freezes here after Spring Break it will be a first.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 12, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9447524

We might get another freeze, but if I don't get stuff in the ground there will be heat regardless. Doing what I can.

If Burgess fails, I'll deal with them. Been a while since I ordered, as in years, but I don't remember having big problems. Loved Sand Hill sweet potato starts last year, ordered a lot more this year., in starts and seeds.
I order seed basically for the following spring because by the time it shows up it is too late to start it for this year, o I buy and refrigerate. Works for me. I'll start what it isn't too late for. This year I'll be planting the seed I got from Annie's last year. I put 5 sweet pepper seeds in the ground last April, I think one stayed moist enough to germinate. Starting all their seeds in the greenhouse tonight and tomorrow. Somewhere I can remember to water, out of reach of cats. I've got 6 chicks under the greenhouse table in the run there right now, I won't forget my seedlings. (6 more chicks in the kitchen I can't forget either, we call that the kitty kat peep show)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9447547

Did you get peppers off the pepper plants you direct seeded in April? You sound like me I have to put stuff where I can see it or I'll forget it. I luv the kitty kat peep show, you have me laughing.

My comment about the temps was for Carrie, BUT the reason i notice the temps so much is bc I live very rural at the foot of the Hill Country and the Regional Maps of Texas all show this area as almost being zone 7. We get cooler even tho we are further South. I don't really understand it but I know it's true.
I buy almost all my seeds the year before but I have such a large stash Im sowing seeds that are 5 yrs old.

What seeds are you starting?
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 12, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9447555

no, I got one pepper plant, it got 2 inches tall then I believe it got run over by a watermelon vine and not enough water. The last couple of years have been hard. Most of north Texas has moderate drought, but I have severe in this little corner of Tarrant county. And I don't water too much. Deeply and infrequently, so seeds must be started indoors or somewhere I'll see them.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9447576

I was wondering cause that's seems really late in the year to start a pepper plant. We have drought conditions here as well. Yes, the last couple of yrs have been much more difficult then normal.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

March 12, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9447582

I'm going to try to start tomatoes and sweet peppers. I work. When there is work I work until I drop. And the garden suffers neglect when there is paid work, but it pays the mortgage.

I normally start my yellow crookneck and zucchini outdoors around March 15th, so them I am right on schedule for. I normally start my cantaloupe and watermelon outdoors around 3/21 to 4/1

Right now I have onions, spinach, swiss chard, and some seriously undersized broccoli plants in the garden. First bunch of broccoli looked good but our november hard freeze got to them before I got them covered. january broccoli may not have heads before it's too hot.

If my tomatoes and sweet peppers don't get big enough for the garden I'll go to the feed store and buy plants. It is what it is...

This message was edited Mar 12, 2013 9:22 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9447602

I've had a lot of trouble staying on schedule this season also, I never thought of direct sowing the squash seeds now. But if this weather holds I might give it a shot, if it doesn't work I can always try again. I still have a few potatoes to stick in the ground, it seems late but the ones that were already planted got their tops froze. When it was 26* a week or so ago. The onions look fine tho,

I have tomato plants that need to be potted up and stuck outside to acclimate. I grew my peppers in containers last yr and they did great.

I agree just do the best you can...and enjoy it.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

April 18, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9488658

Well here it is cold again, and my tomatoes and peppers will be plenty big enough when I put them out. The Burgess order was fine, but never throw away the bag your plants come in, its label is your warranty... Oops. lost 3 strawberries and a clematis.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9491174

My Agastache order from High Country Gardens supposedly shipped April 15.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

July 3, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9584948

I grow 2 types of Agastache in Dallas. One was left in a pot last year and surprised me by returning. It's kinda leggy but I've given it a good haircut and have high hopes for it. Sorry to be bad with names. (If I find that I still have their name tags, I'll update this post.) This particular one has pale orange and lavender flowers. This year I was at Nicholson Hardie Garden Center in Dallas and kept walking by the most fragrant plant. Turns out it was a rose Agastache and even tho I knew better, I couldn't resist. I immediately planted it in a bed that gets as much sun as I can provide. I know it would like even more sun but I'm not about to cut down my trees. So it's been in the ground for a month now and so far seems to be happy.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

July 31, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9617748

Finally. The name of the Agastache with the pale orange and lavender flowers is Apricot Sunrise. If you're in the Dallas area, Northhaven Gardens has some. Or at least they did a few weeks ago. The Rose Agastache is growing like crazy. I love it! Never thought I'd have enough sun, but I guess I do.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9624277

Another agastache is tea hyssop. Its doin great in my garden without me, I need to check an see if it blooms...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America