Agastache anyone?

Arlington, TX

I asked this question on the salvia/agastache forum but I will put it here also. Does anyone in my area of TX have success with growing agastache. I know at least one variety is native to some part of TX but none does anything for me. They have well drained soil and get planted in fall but keep dying in the heat of our summers. Is there a trick or is the heat too much for them. Do they need a climate that cools down more at night. Wondering how they do for others?
C

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't grow it, too many other plants to work with.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I tried last year with golden jubilee and it did not make it thru the summer here.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gosh, I couldn't grow Agastache in Boston because it was too wet. I can't grow it here because it's too hot? Darn it.

It then begs the question, "Where does it grow well?"

The PF lists several called Mexican Hyssop. I have a bit of a feeling that one might work for us. There is a DG member here in Houston who grows it in "woodland-type" shade.

Arlington, TX

I have tried even the native cana species and it didnt survive. I suspect most dont like the hot nights here coupled with the extreme heat.

Bellaire, TX

I have tried and tried to grow this plant with zero success. Perhaps I followed the "full sun" directions too well. It bloomed for a while but never made it through a Houston summer. I would be interested to know if anyone else in the Houston area has had luck growing in part shade????
Leslie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When I tried to grow Agastache in Boston, I always ordered from High Country Gardens. According to Davd Salman, it grows well in Santa Fe, NM!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Carrie ~ from the HCG site

Quoting:
The key to growing great Agastache plants? Itís simple.
provide a fast draining soil thatís naturally low in fertility,
plant in full hot sun,
donít over amend their soil with too much rich compost,
donít over-fertilize your plant and
resist the temptation to over-water established plants (new transplants need regular irrigation their first growing season to establish themselves).
For Agastache, too much of a good thing in the garden results in huge, over-grown plants with poor flowering or un-naturally elongated, sparse flower spikes. Often times these over-stimulated plants will fail to over winter.
Hummingbird Mints are naturally vigorous, fast growing perennial plants. Establish them with ample water the first growing season and fertilize moderately each fall with slow acting natural or organic fertilizers. But beyond that, apply ďtough love.Ē When grown properly the plants will amaze you and come back much more reliably.

Sadly, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read they have now closed their doors.

Arlington, TX

They are open again, mail order only. I had a love hate thing with them. Great selection of native plants but sometimes the plants were very small. Other times I got great specimens and as I said some of the plants I ordered I could find no where else.

As for agastache, I had full sun, low fertility etc. I have concluded that like a lot of other plants a lack of night time cooling here did them in.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

From what I've read, I'd be more suspicious of our humidity... just a thought.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Texas humidity seems like no big deal compared to East coast humidity, but we sure did have cooler nights. Mine just didn't like the sogginess back there, in the ground, but were great in containers until the winter.

Yes, apparently Hcg is not quite closed! I agree about the love-hate. Their packaging was AMAZING but the plants were expensive and tiny. But that catalogue!!! Luscious.....

Arlington, TX

I don't think NCT has high humidity. Everywhere else I have lived has had higher.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

NCT?

Arlington, TX

north central TX

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

You need more air in Arlington, nights are definitely not as crisp as in Santa Fe, along the Sandias- tuck em back into a shady spot, and give em the same earth you would give PalmBob's cacti,Good luck

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll bear that in mind, guys!

Fort Worth, TX

Compared to New Mexico, North Texas is humid with hot nights. Unless we have drought. Best thing about the drought is the humidity dies down somewhat, but the temps go even higher.

Arlington, TX

We have drought every summer! Once again I am not certain but I don't think its humidity. These plants grow in places like N. Carolina for people and that has some humidity. I have some seed of A. cana which is native in W. TX that I am going to sow and try.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck....let us know.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Forgot to say. nneed taproot room.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Definitely true, that's why they didn't like being moved around.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had good luck growing agastache Honey Bee Blue. Lee gave me one at a RU 4-5 years ago, and it lived until last summer. (I lost a lot of stuff that I can't explain last summer.) It reseeds itself and all of the seedlings have transplanted easily as well. Seems to be a good one for this area, if a light fuzzy blue fits your scheme.

I researchd Honey Bee Blue and it is A. rugosa which is in plant files. Also there is a comment there by Debnes who said she grows them where she lives.

Arlington, TX

I don't know that one, I have been concentrating on the species.

Do you know Debnes? She just lost her husband.

Fort Worth, TX

There is drought and there is drought. the 6 to 8 weeks without rain we get virtually every summer is not drought.

What happened between October 1 2010 and spring 2012 was a drought.

Arlington, TX

I met her at one of the RU's but can't say I know her. I did read that sad post about her husband.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

When it says to plant in full sun Ive learned that doesn't mean full Texas sun.

Fort Worth, TX

1lisac - I have noted that too. Very few plants really tolerate full Texas sun well if they are transplants. Stuff that starts from seed does ok in full sun though. And Iris. But they just go dormant in August, so it's all good.

I've noticed that even my tomatoes do better if they get a break from the Texas sun.

Fort Worth, TX

I put my tomatoes where they get just a bit of shade from surrounding shrubs, not much, and they do better.
But wildflowers, for bee forage, they love the sun. Don't bloom as well even in partial shade. I plant Texas wildflowers though.

I agree the natives love the sun. But I have 2 veggie gardens and the one that gets a little shade thru out the day gives me higher yields.

I have a Wildflower area under a large tree,the branches aren't low enough to block out the sun, and the flowers get up to my waist. If we get enough rain!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When is it time to put out tomatoes? I have a little cherry tomato I bought at Big Box.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Carrie- soil temps need to be 50į for maters. are you putting it in ground? I am not sure abt the FW side of Dallas for planting, but I think maters are goin out now- with wind and cold protection for another month...drthor is a good person to watch for when she sets her stuff out.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, I will watch and wait. I would probably put it in a container, which is, clearly, colder. (It took me so long to learn that!)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

just be ready to pot deeper later... if in a container, you can start them hardening off, and yank em in when it gets really chilly...the winds will make them bloom...

Arlington, TX

You need to think about how hot that container will get. I have learned that a lot of things just don't do well even in large containers due to the high temperatures they reach here in high summer.
C

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

But to start for early Spring container should do to harden off, then into the ground if possible...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images