The Blizzard of 2013

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Naturally, as I wished to leave for my vacation in Florida later today, there had to be the largest snowstorm we've had in years. Sigh. The wind is howling so loudly that I can't sleep, so I thought I would post this to find out how you all are bearing up. So far, knock on wood, we still have power but there's tons of snow out there still coming down. Hope you are all safe and if I ever get to Florida this week, I will post pictures of the botanic gardens I am going to visit.
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We have power and it's stopped snowing but we expect high winds today
.Accumulation about 14 inches.
I'll send pix when daylight gets here.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

So sorry Martha! What a disappointment!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Power outages might mean a quiet morning here on Daves.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pix from this AM
Front with xmas decorations.Ground still frozen cant remove til March,maybe
#2 Tree Peony Garden
#3 front porch
#4 deck chairs
#5 Drivway

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

My backyard this morning. That fence is at least 6' high and the stick thing in the foreground is my solar clothes dryer. I got up at 4:30 am for a bathroom run and I was so glad because I noticed the snow piled up on the front window. I was able to get out the front door and saw that the inlet pipe for my boiler was under snow. I put on boots and coat and gloves and shoveled my way to clear the pipes and then saw that my neighbor's pipes, which are at least 4 feet off the ground, were close to the top of the snow piled against his house - so I had to walk through snow almost up to my waist to get over there and move his snow around. If I had waited to try and open the front door until this morning - I couldn't have. One of the neighbors kids climbed out a window to shovel so they could open their front door.

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad your OK Yank & Allison. The drifts are terrible....cannot see where the driveway ends and the road starts!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pixie: Guess what you will be doing until Monday.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

NO, NO, NO ....This was a very GOOD investment. :)

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Genius I would say.Look at that loader.Soooo impressive.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My DH has judged the snow here in spots to be at least "two Lhasa Apsos high". All flights in and out of Logan have been cancelled for today. For scientific reference purposes, a Lhasa Apso Unit is approximately 13 inches, or the height of our dog at his withers. Here's an picture of our standard measurement. Toby the Lhasa Apso wearing his Lilac Sunday bandana.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart

LOL!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL my cat only goes to the door.He is finally smart in his old age.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Very funny! I have been thinking about all of you in the midst. We dodged the bullet this time and had NO snow.

Safe travels when you can get out.

My stray cat slept in the heated cat house last night but came in this morning and won't go out. My dear neighbors used their blower to clear the sidewalk in front of my house and the neighbors. I had already cleared a narrow path across my house but one of his trucks is parked in my neighbors driveway so I saw him checking on his truck when he got over there. I still need to clear my neighbors walk to the house - but he doesn't live there so I suppose there is no hurry. Neighbor couldn't even get his pickup truck out of his driveway even with a plow on the front. He was using the snow blower to dig out the plow!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lif just isnt fair

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like cats and Lhasas are doing OK. Love the new unit of measurement.

I shared a few shots of my snow dog on the pets forum.

Here's cleanup in front of our house. Can't say the sun is out, but it has stopped snowing. We guestimate two Lhasas of snow except for the many drifts.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

We got about 7 inches in northern NJ - way up north. It's sunny and the wind has been picking up. Not fun cleaning it up as it comes right back in your face in the wind. My neighbor used his snowblower this morning and the plume of snow was higher than his house - the wind just picked it up and took it off. It was actually very pretty.

I hope everyone is safe and warm.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hope everyone has power and is safe and warm.

1) It starts...Friday morning 7am
2) Sat. morning 5 am
3) this afternoon around 2pm
4 & 5) @ 3:30pm

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

1) On the outside...
2) On the inside...
3 & 4) Supplies ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560

Still haven't seen a plow. Saw people walking to the gas station and the store in thigh-high snow. Stray cat is snuggling on a rug in the living room. Found out that he knows what a cat box is and how to use it. Still I don't trust him in the house. Hate to do it - but out he goes to his heated box on the porch.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My son has been out with his snowblower and shovel all day. Hopefully the sun tomorrow will melt some of this stuff off the road. Plows have been through and people can get out. Not that we could go anywhere until 4 pm here in MA as that was when the Governor lifted the road closures. My vacation departure set back to Monday afternoon at 4.
Martha

Norwich, CT(Zone 6a)

I could spend 2 weeks in Naples, Florida. The thought is very appealing.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I hope Selby Gardens is one of your destinations in Florida, Martha. I totally love that place. Haven't been there for a lot of years, though.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's some snowdrift outside my kitchen door and my driveway as of early this morning. It's pretty much cleared down to the pavement now as the sun has been shining on it all day.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

We won't be on that side of Florida Rosemary. We will be going to Heathcote BG in Ft. Pierce, Mount BG in West Palm and Fairchild BG in Coral Gables.
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Ohh! Hope you share pictures.

Thomaston, CT

Needed Pixie's snow machine today....the drive is opened except for 2 four ' drifts on either side of garage door....while I was at hospital, plow came & took tops of snowbanks down....landed in my drive....if I didn't have 4x4, I wouldn't have gotten in....managed to shovel some of it, but not all....just too heavy....

Don't know when we will see a plow. Heard that Main Street is still blocked with abandoned cars including an ambulance and a tractor trailer turned sideways across the street! The is no gasoline available. Bridgeport schools are closed until at least Wednesday.

Norwich, CT(Zone 6a)

I went to Selby Gardens last year. If I ever win the lotary I want a property like that, right on the ocean.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Snowfall totals ~ CT got SLAMMED!

1. Hamden, Conn. 40.0"
2. Milford, Conn. 38.0"
3. Clintonville, Conn. 37.0"
4. Oxford, Conn. 36.2"
5. North Branford, Conn. 36.0"
5. Meriden, Conn. 36.0"
7. Gorham, Maine. 35.5"
7. East Haddam, Conn. 35.5"
9. Fairfield, Conn. 35.0"
9. Wallingford, Conn. 35.0"
9. Yalesville, Conn. 35.0"
12. West Boylston, Mass. 34.5"
13. New Haven, Conn. 34.3"
14. West Haven, Conn. 34.0"
15. Northford, Conn. 33.5"
15. Medford, New York 33.5"
17. East Haven, Conn. 33.0"
17. Guilford, Conn. 33.0"
17. New Hartford, Conn. 33.0"
17. Stratford, Conn. 33.0"
17. Wolcott, Conn. 33.0"
22. Madison, Conn. 32.0"
22. Manchester, Conn. 32.0"
22. North Guilford, Conn. 32.0"
22. Waterbury, Conn. 32.0"
22. Berwick, Maine 32.0"
22. Centereach, New York: 32.0"
28. Portland, Maine 31.9"
29. Stoughton, Mass. 31.5"
30. Colchester, Conn. 31.0"
30. Weatogue, Conn. 31.0"
30. Spencer, Mass. 31.0"
33. Upton, New York 30.9"
34. Central Islip, New York 30.7"
35. Coventry, Conn. 30.5"
35. Tolland, Conn. 30.5"
35. Framingham, Mass. 30.5"
38. New Boston, N.H. 30.4"
39. Fitchburg, Mass. 30.2"
39. Winchester, Mass. 30.2"
41. Bridgeport, Conn. 30.0"
41. Monroe, Conn. 30.0"
41. Naugatuck, Conn. 30.0"
41. Old Saybrook, Conn. 30.0"
41. Quincy, Mass. 30.0"
41. Mount Vernon, N.H. 30.0"

Missed Bridgeport at 30". The Mayor promised to have us all dug out by Sunday - that is February 17th.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sorry! Got that from of the weather/news stations, not my list.

That's OK - just had to whine a little.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't blame you!!! I'd whine too.

Thomaston, CT

I'm whining, too.....worried about the heavy rain today, with the heavy snow on my roof!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Praying for no problems with the rain on top of this mess.

I will join you in prayer on that.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ditto

Amusing myself by watching people in vehicles trying to drive down the street. Even a huge wrecker couldn't get through. A neighbor thought he was going to work in his van because there has been some plowing by neighbors with plows on their pickups - he was lucky to get back IN his driveway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.