Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Brugmansias: Finally potted!

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 18, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9413506

I received 3 "Sunset Brugmansias" not to long ago, put them in a jar of water and WOW did they root fast! I've been procrastinating getting them potted up but finally did today. I also potted a rose cutting that I took and got to root. Glad that is out of the way so I can watch a basketball game (Gonzaga). I will post pics later! Time for a peppermint shnapps & hot chocolate and a break.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 8, 2013
11:36 PM

Post #9443486

Snap! Way to go girlfriend. Take a bow!!
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 24, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9460653

How are the brug doing? Lots of leaves yet?
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9497054

This pic was taken a month ago - they are twice this size now. All 3 of them are doing beautifully!

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 25, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9497432

They look so good. What kind of water are you using to root them?
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
2:18 AM

Post #9497520

tap water
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 26, 2013
11:37 PM

Post #9498616

My tap water must suck! 9 days,,, no roots.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9498665

add a little kelp powder
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9498666

and keep adding fresh water as it shrinks.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9498667

I don't need to do that here, but in some places you do. Not enough nutrients.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 27, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9499404

I have kelp liquid. I will try that too. What does kelp do?
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2013
12:21 AM

Post #9499451

I've been using it for years, and can't remember - but I think it is high in iron and some other nutrients. I've been spritzing this one Martha Washington Geranium that I over wintered from last year and it's going crazy.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 28, 2013
2:00 AM

Post #9499489

So you are using it as a foliage spray. I found some kelp powder and added a small amount to that water. We will see what happens.

Avenger Liquid Kelp

Avenger Liquid Kelp is a natural organic fertilizer made from fresh kelp and contains a healthy combination of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes.

Kelp is well known for its beneficial effects on germination and a naturally high content of plant hormones that boost growth.

Unlike chemical fertilizers, there is no danger of over-fertilizing or burning your plants. Solubility and release rates are much lower than chemical fertilizers.

Liquid kelp is broken down at a slower rate by microorganisms to ensure a steady supply of nutrients. It nourishes the soil through micro nutrients, which leads to healthier root and plant growth. This regulated nutrient boost allows for maximum performance.

It can be delivered to plants through their roots by watering or root drench. An alternate method is foliar feeding that involves spraying the foliage or leaves in order to transfer the nutrients.

This method is more effective than soil drenching since the nutrients are directly absorbed by the plants.

Avenger liquid kelp is used in a variety of ways. It works as an excellent rooting solution for cuttings to promote the development of roots, which gives them a greater chance to survive. As a general organic soil treatment, kelp encourages the growth of healthier plants with greater immunity to diseases.

Experienced growers will tell you that seeds that are soaked in a solution of liquid kelp will increase the percentage of germination and helps produce healthier roots and seedlings. The general use of Avenger liquid kelp does a great job of assisting osmosis in plants during periods of drought and stress.

It will also encourage betaine growth needed for osmosis and increase the absorption of nutrients and proteins so that they do not undergo any stress.

Alginates, the starch content in liquid kelp acts like a sponge to ensure an even and healthy supply of moisture. It also contains over 70 minerals and is an excellent source two plant growth hormones, cytokinins and auxins, in addition to natural chelating agents.

Cytokinins improve soil tilth, increases the production of chlorophyll and enhances the process of photosynthesis. It is also responsible for delaying the aging process in fall, as the plants prepare for winter by exfoliation.

Auxins stimulate rooting and promote fruit development and are high in carbohydrate content, essential for the growth of plants.

Carbohydrates feed the useful micro-organisms in the soil which leads to the development of healthy soil from which the nutrients can be easily absorbed by the plants.

Liquid kelp contains an excellent balance of plant hormones that help regulate germination and boost the healthy development of a plant from its stem formation right until flowering and the ripening of fruit.

Liquid kelp helps plants develop a stronger cell wall, which allows for extra protection from disease, heat, fungus, and a stressful environment. It has the potential to increase crop yields of fruits and vegetables significantly.

You donít have to worry about storing liquid kelp since it cannot cause any harm to children, animals, and other useful insects.

Plants require less watering when you use liquid kelp, which is a great way to help conserve this precious resource.

In short, Avenger Liquid Kelp is a great source to provide the secondary and micro nutrients that your crops need.

http://www.agracycle.com/Avenger-Liquid-Kelp.html
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
1:10 AM

Post #9502189

Mine is powder, and you don't use very much of it - like 1/4 tsp for a regular size spray bottle.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 30, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9502937

Mine is powder too. Do you steep it or just drop it in ans go? I have a herbal store so it is on the shelf.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9503139

I just mix it in a a little warm water and shake it real well, and then fill it up with more water, shake and go.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9503146

oh - one more thing - one of the brugs has already Y'd.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

April 30, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9503316

Good Girl. You must be a proud brug mama!
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9503382

well - definitely looking forward to getting them outdoors in a couple of weeks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America