Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tomatoes: Bush Goliath

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 4, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KirkH
Austin, TX

February 10, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9414677

This is my first year to plant a "bush" tomato plant. Does anyone know if I need to give it a cage to climb on or just let nature take its course?

Has anyone had luck with Bush Goliath tomatoes?

Thanks,

Kirk
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9414775

I'm not exactly familiar with Bush Goliath, but the DG plantfile lists it as a 36"-48" determinate. I would think that it would be a sizeable plant. I like to stake or cage all of my tomatoes just to get them off the ground. There are two purposes here. First to stay away from ground level bugs and small animals, second to keep the central stems from breaking when the fruits get heavy.

Leaving the plants to sprawl on the ground is not a good idea for most. Even driving in an old broomstick handle and tying the stem with soft twine would help.

Al
KirkH
Austin, TX

February 12, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9417215

Thanks, I'll stick a tomato cage over it when it grows a bit.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9417971

KirkH, I grow a lot of determinates. They do need to be staked or caged. They produce very heavily so give them some good support. I started out a few years ago with the cheesy wire "cages" you can buy at the hardware store. Better Bush toppled those pretty quick. I've graduated to Florida weave (as I grow quite a few), but I think a good cattle panel cage with t-post stake or something along those lines would work great.

Good luck and have fun with your tomatoes!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9418646

I have grown both the Better Bush and the Bush Goliath. I think the Better Bush produced more and I just favor the better bush more over all but both were very Pretty plants. Like mini trees. My plants needed a sturdy support too and I used reinforcement wire cages.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America