Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Free Seeds for newbies... A New Bee ginning continued!!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 289, Views: 2,125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
11:57 PM

Post #9414919

Feb,11,2013
In case you don't know or have forgotten I am prone to typos and occasional ...um ...forgetting...(just in case the Kelly Twins are watching) I havent made a thread in over a year so I am rusty. Patience and pre-forgiveness...and on we will go!!
"Beginning"
Noun
"The point in time or space at which something starts."

Postage Plunders
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286269/

Iris Draw for the New Bees is here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/

The Iris Draw deadline is the first day of spring!!
Spring is on Wednesday, 20 March 2013

As far as I can tell...We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111944/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
new thread #2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/gardentalk/all/

Chat Thread here also lots of new and old Newbees...be sure to stop in and introduce your self...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

K here we are!! This thread is for Newbie information and questions, No scrambles on this thread...

To get your free seeds

Be Sure to put your dmail name and a note of wants in your envie, along with return name and address
Address exchange is here http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
You have to add your information to be able to access everyone else's

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions
Many of us "oldies" and some Newbies would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Dave's. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months(or so) and are a paying member.
Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Let us know you are sending your envy. Just Dmail me with sent envie today in the subject. You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Postage keeps going up so now we need five usually,

Send 5 stamps and an address label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them.
Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange this goes to the exchange http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/ you have to add yourself to the exchange then you can get my address.

Oldies!
If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back. Put a note in with your DG name and let me know what you are looking for also.
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Robin

* I try to give you what you put in your note of wants. The seeds for the newbees are donated by gardeners all over the world. I can not promise you will get what you ask for. You will get a great envie of seed!! Robin

If you are Zone 8 or above please send donations and requests to Rising Creek.
You will find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/

If you are zone 7 and Below please send donations and request to me here
http://davesgarden.com/members/arejay59/

This message was edited Apr 2, 2013 6:53 AM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
12:02 AM

Post #9414922

I forgot to put the date in the page marker durnnnn... but it is 2/11/2013!! 11 more newbee names we need to get the second box of Irises to draw a second name!
Bring your friends , relatives, neighbors!! 11 to go!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9415433

RJ,
Got here, good info.
Bells
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
11:23 PM

Post #9416268

Good Morning Bells. I wonder if everyone will find us?

Good News everyone!! Bells has agreed to be the resident seed grower and collector!! I will send her seed from the
newbee stash she will grow it and save the seed then package it up and send it to me or Rc for future newbees!! Yeay!!
Our first formal seed collector for the newbees!! Thank You Bells

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9416299

Good morning, I made it!! (good thing I know how to read signs, huh?) heeheeheee

OK, I've been up beyond my eyeballs in so many things around the house that I haven't been able to put my seeds together yet for sending... so, should I contact you, Bell, to send them to you?? I can do that! =)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9416356

Spediebean...You send to me or Rc. Rc for you I would say you are in zone 7. Bells is going to grow them grow us. I wasnt as clear as I should have been I guess. Sometimes I forget that you all can not hear the shaking of my head and pointing to the signs etc.
Rc or I will send to Bells the ones we think will grow well for her and produce easy seeds to collect and then add to the newbie stash( she will send fresh collected seed to us as she gets it) Supply supply supply. You are sending newbie stash so off to RC Zone 7 for you!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9416357

Does any one know Tsidorus?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9416378

I found
Tsidorus

Now I am looking for

Joseph's Coat
Alternanthera ficoidea
I would be happy to pay postage or trade something.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9416398

hooray, hooray, happy Mardi Gras, and I got my envelope of seeds yesterday. My puppy immediately are half the envelope, but thank goodness she only got into the non-toxic seeds. The envelope must've just been sooooo delicious. Thank you to all the donating folks, and to risingcreek for the fast turnaround! So much good stuff!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9416405

YeaY!! Nola!! Are you joining the Iris Draw too?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9416413

You folks will love the Iris Draw. Mit has nice healthy root stock. I love his iris.
Good morning to all...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9416416

Yes I love Iris too!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9416471

I just got a nice box of newbie seeds in the mail!! Thank you for the peanut butter cup treat!! You are the best Al!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9416503

Ooooh, you gots goodies!?!? Well, you deserve it!!! < =D

Okey dokey, I'm all straightened out, I'll send the seeds to the right place! ... after the dishwasher is installed, and the new cabinets are purchased.. and then installed.. and then re-filled.. and the bathroom sink supply lines are hooked up and the vanity top is caulked and sealed.. and... HELP!! < =0
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9416510

No rush Speedie!! We have a pretty good supply right now!! Finsish up that kitchen so we can see it!! I posted pictures of my kitchen remodel three or four years agoI hope your doesnt take as long as mine!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9417479

OMGoodness. A tv needed fixing yesterday the internet wasnt broadcast through the cable box!! Guess wht!! They fixed the one tv.!!Funny nothing else has worked since the van left the driveway!! 18 hours later ok back in business...grumble grumble cable service...grumble grumble...
But; this is what I learned while being unable to get on line!!
I have way too many seeds!! I have been collecting seeds for about 7 maybe 8 years. Do you know what can happen? It isn't good.
So Rc another box on the way to you today no probably tomorrow. Bells get your tables ready!! and your cups!! Do you need more cups?'
You are going to have a blast with the things I found Bells!! You could need a greenhouse or a second lot to grow things in !! But you will have fun!! I will sending it all to you!!
Where did everyone go? knock knock hello..anyone home?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9417506

Sometimes "so much" equals "too much" Robin. I've got the same problem at times.

I found a local parks commissioner that is interested in planting wildflower seeds around a baren walking trail here in the city. We're trying to organize a church work group to help plant them sometime in the Spring. I have lots of seeds that could be tossed this way and still put to good use.

We also have a "scatter patch" garden that gets minimal care, but produces lots of cut flowers,

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9417548

I planted some lotus seed yesterday. So I'll have to watch them and change their water. Need to plant some more today.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9418056

Hey guys,
Busy day, youngest is house hunting and oldest adopting! Both of them calling all day:). Nice:). I'm thinking I need to start planting in the ally. Lol I'll definitely do my best, but I am on a learning curve in this heat and I have a yard that is small, so remember a little goes a long way, I had visions of my entire privacy fence covered in gourds and beans front and back, kinda like that house in jumangi movie! (sortof fun?!) I'm seriously thinking of throwing some zinnia and marigolds on a lot two doors down, they are absentee owners, nice folks probably LOVE it! Like lycodad I had a thought of throwing a few friendlies wild flowers along the edges of our park and hoping all the little kids don't pick them before they go to seed! Just don't anyone send in the last of some rare seed and I won't stress too bad, just pick what I can and send on along:) What I don't get in or can't plant in on time I'll send on back. One great thing is I can grow something pretty much year round. I'm picking vinca seed, marigolds and a few stray zinnias even now. I'm mostly worried about labeling things in the garden. I'm thinking of using coat hangers with aluminum tag folded with name etched on, everything else washes off in this salty air. I hope no one will mind if a squash seed becomes a mystery squash? Wish me luck, Dear Old Dad is helping, too:) Happy Gardening-throw those seed Lycodad and I'm in if your sure you want me Robin:). Me waving at Speediebean and Ridesredmule! Hey Ya'll!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9418218

Your the one Bells!!! no stress gardening though remember !! If its not fun I don't do it!!!
You plant what you find interesting and see f we get seed!! That's all!! And there no deadlines you have years!! there is always a new newbie looking for seeds!! The thing about gardening is it teaches us to let go we can't control it,we can plant it water it fertilize it shade it sun it whatever we do its out of our control finally either it grows or it returns to the earth and all our love for it and into it is still there .

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9418271

Hey, speedie, better slow down girl... Good luck girl...
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 13, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9418449

Hey everybody- I found you! No baby yet. Dr. Says that he will induce my neice on Friday if nothing by then. My sister arrived from Sault Ste Marie, Ont. on Sunday, So we're sitting around waiting. Can't go too far, for fear of missing it. For those not in the know-- I'm waiting on my 13th(Ithink) great nephew to be born. A birth that I'm priveleged to be allowed to attend. Please excuse my spelling. This little guy has us all sitting on pins and needles, waiting.
Anyhow, Bellsp, good luck with all those seeds. Lots of planting for you!! Happy, Happy, Happy.Sandra

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2013
10:56 PM

Post #9418481

[quote="arejay59"]Your the one Bells!!! no stress gardening though remember !! If its not fun I don't do it!!!
You plant what you find interesting and see f we get seed!! That's all!! And there no deadlines you have years!! there is always a new newbie looking for seeds!! The thing about gardening is it teaches us to let go we can't control it,we can plant it water it fertilize it shade it sun it whatever we do its out of our control finally either it grows or it returns to the earth and all our love for it and into it is still there .
[/quote]

Well said, well said! *applause* *confetti*

I have no idea what will or won't go and grow in my new garden, but the surprise is a delight.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
3:02 AM

Post #9418530

Thanks Nola!! Im waiting on the edge of my seat with you Sandra!! Send pictures!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9418662

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9418716

Have a Great Valentine's Day Everyone!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9418772

Happy Valentine's everyone...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9418876

Nice valentines pictures!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9419188

The boys send their love...I made the clay hearts...wild velvet leaf philodendron growing everywhere.
It is in a 3 '' pot. Don't ask me, Plants are amazing... Need a close up, let me know...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Click an image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9419586

Bumble look I make hearts like yours and one of my Christmas Cactus is in full bloom!!

Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59      

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9419587

Hi Hi Hi everyone!! Slow down!? What does that mean? < =D
A belated HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to everyone!!!!! I'm sorry I missed the fun yesterday, busy busy, you know. ;) Homework up the ying-yang, dash off to school, work some more, dash home, finish homework, run the dishwasher for the THIRD time (that day), checking to make sure there's no problem. No problem found. Put everything BACK under the sink where it belongs (since there were no leaks found), and put the kick-plate back on the front/bottom of the dishwasher... did 2 loads of laundry, filing, got dinner prepped... and I don't remember what-all else. **huff!** **puff!** =)

Today, thankfully I don't have to go anywhere, Wheee!! Got a new bathroom sink vanity that needs sealed, more filing to do, a dessert to make (homemade brownies??), phone calls to make... why is my "to do" list always so full!?!?! < =/ WHO KEEPS ADDING STUFF TO MY TO-DO LIST!?!? < =P

Oh yeah, and yesterday was DH's Grammy's birthday too (she's our Family Sweetheart). She turned 93 yesterday, so when he got home we HAD to spend a couple hours on the phone with her. < =D (yes, it is a MUST to spend that time on the phone with her, she is just TOO COOL to want to stop talking to!) =)

Lycodad, please tell us more about your "scatter garden"? That sounds like such a fun idea! Do you have pictures to share please? (if it's easier, you could just direct me to a thread here where they might already be posted). Thank you! =)

**Jumps up and down waving to Bell!!** < =D

Mule, what FANTASTIC photos!! Those hearts are adorable, you do such fine work! The love in your works of art really show, too! =)

Robin, I always smile SO BIG when I read your posts! < =D

Sandra, YAAYY, got any news on the new little one??? WOW, what a wonderfully large family you have! How's your niece doing, holding up ok? I'll keep everyone in my prayers.

Thumbnail by speediebean

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9419594

!!! Simply de-vine potted plant look!!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9419603

Happy morning after valentines! Thanks for all the encouragement-you guys are the best! Mitchesgarden good luck with the nephew! Sooooo exciting! We are waiting to hear about baby boy for my oldest son and his wife! A BOY! I am so hopeful that this is to be their little blessing, fingers crossed!! We will know more, but it is a process! We are going up to bama to see youngest sons future home, yay. Dad will be home tending all the sprouts-lol! I am really excited to see them! Okay, how many more critters are you stashing Ridesredmule? I don't think I've seen this latest little blonde beauty? Such a sweet little face! Is she a chihuahua? My Grandma who is 94 had a black chihuahua named 'Miss Moony'! Ha ha! I have no idea where that came from!
Happy Gardening!
Waiting on this one last cold snap to pass to set out first round of sprouts!

Pictures -three 'weeds', lovely up close, but the white one is a real little devil down here, grows on concrete -hee hee! The yellow one is in front of condos and mounds, not uncontrollable, very nice really. The other one has a little tiny sweet pea bloom and small little long seed pods like a vinca pod. Beautiful up close, I'm not sure how out of hand it gets. I love all the wild things-just haven't been down here long enough to spend time ID them. Spent first year laying tile and painting!!!! No fun at all!

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp      

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9419606

RJ - what a 'Devine' updo! Ha ha! Maybe I can sprout a few seeds on the top of my garden hat:), too! Speediebean, I totally get the 'Speedie' part of your name- take a second and have some warm cocoa-you deserve it:)!!!!! My best friend works like you and she never has been any where and she is going on cruise with DH, I'm soooo happy for her! Some people really deserve a good time. She works 3 jobs, 5 grand kids, takes care of mom and childless aunt!!!!! Wears me out watching her go! Here's a smile to all the care takers, dads, moms, folks busting it out every day taking care of loved ones, home and critters-heart!
Gotta get busy myself- have a great day!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9419724

Bell, that blond beauty is a beauty but can be so mean and snappy. His nickname is Radar aka Grumpy Snapdragon... He is smallest one of critters but so onery.
Arejay, you hearts are great. I love the different colors.
Even a rose can be a weed if it is not wanted. Beautiful weeds.
Hugs to all...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9419769

OK, taking your advice Bell and taking a little breather for a minute. That bathroom is 100% complete, YAAYYYY!!! Everything scrubbed, vanity-top and floor sealed twice, all the "goodies" moved back in from the hall bath. DH is gonna be soooooo happy when he gets home, gonna try to save it as a surprise for him. =)

Robin, I found that photo a little while ago... somewhere on the web, don't remember now where. Anyway, it just cracked me up so much I had to save it! I wish it had "come out" better when you click on it.. the top reads "Like you've never come home..." and then the bottom says "Wearing a potted plant". I don't know why but that cracks me up to no end!

My Mamma in Law is one of those caregivers, has had Grammy living with her for ... gosh, probably near 30 years now. Now Grammy is 93 and is finally starting to "show" it. That caregiver roll is hard (LOVING) work!!! I will pass along your loving sentiments to her, she will really appreciate it!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9419794

Grumpy snapdragon- sooo funny! (Still too cute!). Glad your taking a breather Speedie. RJ is sending me pencil to help label thank goodness! Needed that for sure! The baby boys family stepped in, good for him. We just patiently wait for our little blessing to come:) Just got the news, but they are reassured it should be less than year to wait, so who knows! I just heard about meteor in Russia, how unreal was that? Hope you all have nice afternoon.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9419879

Someone ate all the Valentine chocolates and we spent the evening with the vet.

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9419945

Uh oh, Nola! Same thing happened to my father-in-law's schnauzer, but it was a whole Easter basket (must have been fake and full of paraffin because he was no worse for the wear)! Looks like Ridesredmule and me are not the only two with naughty dogs:). Glad yours was okay, I've heard real chocolate is rough!
Picture of Francesca' - my naughtiest dog! Don't let the cute face fool you! :)

Thumbnail by Bellsp

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9419971

Bells, it's a good thing they're so cute!

I planted in my tuberose bulbs today in a pot underneath some lavender - lavender never makes it past May in this heat for me, so I'm hoping their good scented awesomeness works together in a pot. It looks like a mess now, but why not try it! :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9420014

I love chocolate, Don't let my baby's have it either... So glad you got your pet to Doctor. Bad Boy. Dogs don't GET chocolate. Now be have. We still love you...
Tuberoses-yuk!! But they do have a pretty bloom, just can't stand the smell.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9421108

Oh Nola, what a sweeeeeet face your little chocolate-muncher has!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, he (she?) is ADORABIBBLE!!!!!!! Is everything alright now!?!? < =/
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9421353

Sorry, it's been a long week - just getting caught up...

Speedie was asking about our "scatter patch" garden. It's a space behind the garage, about 10 X 20' or so, we use as a cut flower space. I tilled it off once just to loosen the soil and even up the area a bit. After that we sort of "tossed at random" any leftover, outdated, or surplus seeds that we had laying around, including a lot of second rate seeds we didn't need to keep. OMG they grew! Tons of marigolds, zinnias, sunflowers, lot of other stuff we didn't even know or familiar with. No further maintenance was intended, we just let it sprawl, weeds and all.

The place had an unkempt "cottage" look to it. We let the kids, grandkids, and neighborhood kids visit it with scizzors for cut flowers within reason (if they asked first). Kind of a fun project for everyone. I wish now that I had taken more pictures to show off or write an article about but wasn't sure how it would work out. Maybe this year will be better.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9421690

Scatter garden-that's a super idea! Definitely do it again and show take pictures. Surprises in the garden are so Fun! Good luck, Al. Me and hubby in Bama with youngest son and dil. Came to see their new home, so exciting. Maybe I can put some things in their yard? :) I hope they have good dirt, we are on our way to see it this morning! Some parts of far north Alabama are hard as a rock. Our first house many long moons ago (25) had good ole Bama red clay, whew I wore myself out getting it busted up with the help of a tiller no less! But rich and good once worked. The best dirt I ever had was in Blount County, Al - old corn field, terrace rows so tall you nearly flipped bush hogging them. There was an old barn on the property and I had them scoop all that lovely black gold to my garden site with a bobcat front end loader, seriously I was in heaven, everything grew! Now, I spend my afternoons lifting mulch roadside to amend my kitty sand box, but half the fun is in the challenge! Not to mention, so easy to move stuff around in! I was a little disappointed in the first fall planting until our real estate agent brought a couple people by just to prove you could garden here:). Made me feel encouraged. Any how, can't wait to see how it turns out for son and dil:)
Happy Gardening!
Robin, the freezer cup/boxes are sprouting with moonflowers, agastache, goats beard, snaps, sun flowers, squash, tomatos, peppers, aloe, cactus , etc. that you all first sent me! I'm hoping to move them out to get some of what your sending going. And probably direct sow some in March! I'll take pictures so we can all see how it goes, but I do warn of massive heat wave that hits and makes everything look sad, then bounce back for fall:)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9422671

Al, thank you very much for that explanation/description, it sounds delightful! Yes, please do take more photos to share should you do it again this year, I would love to see it all! The photos you shared are beautiful, obviously they love it there! :)

Bell, Oooh the fun with a tiller, eh? ;) I did that to my ENTIRE yard once, (front, back, and both sides).. oooh my aching everything when I was done! But it sure felt good... if ya know what I mean. ;)
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 18, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9423038

Hi all - Well little Jacob Leslie was born at 11:45 pm on Friday night. Mother and child both did great. They came home Sunday at noon! I forgot camera but my sister took pictures,I just need to get copies. All natural birth, no need to induce, she went into labour herself. Now, we can all get on with business, no more waiting by a phone for the call. For me that means I can start all my indoor planting!! yea Happy, Happy Happy!!! Sandra

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9423170

Very good! You and baby can both "get growing." Congratulations on new baby...
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9423171

Congratulations on your new little baby!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9423181

WELCOME TO THE WORLD, Jacob Leslie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! < =D
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9423184

Congratulations on the newest little gardener baby... sounds like a new mascot to me... lol
Hi everybody. After 2I nights at 20you degrees and 2you days of 40you we back to the 50'sold today. Nice n sunny outside. As usual I missed all the snow again... ;((
Went all around me n I never saw a flake. ;(
Oh well my plants are budding out already. So I guess spring is on the way. But I think the rain going to get here first. Seems all it does this year is rain. I know we need it but goodness could it come in the summer so it would help the gardens instead of now and rot everything??? Grrrrr...
Have a beautiful day everybody! ;))
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9423188

Good gracious!!! Sorry you guys. My phone has a mind of its own n added those extra words! :0/

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9423280

Congratulations, Sandra! How wonderful!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2013
3:00 AM

Post #9423958

Congratulations Sandra!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9423964

Mekos, your phone's got an interesting "mind"! < =D LOL!!!!!!!

I've been thinking the same thing about all the rain we've got around here... couldn't it be snow instead, so it could melt and soak in over time? < =/
We also live in one of those areas where, most of the time, that "Big Impact" that weather forecasters always talk about usually misses us.. but when they talk about "just a light dusting", THAT's when it hits us like 2 tons of bricks! Most of the time though, it all just dances right around us.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9424361

Happy, Happy, Happy!!! Mekos. :-) We got rain this morning. Had snow in Ga. Mtns...
Was so glad it was THERE!!!
HeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwww!!!!!! And a kick in the air and away i go bumbling along...hahaha
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9424947

Hey everyone:) Congratulations on your precious BABY- Jacob Leslie (how sweet). So glad to hear spring is finally coming your way Mekos. No tilling for me in 3/4 years, Speedie (thank goodness). Had a great visit with son and dil! Hope you all are doing well. I'm turning in. I. helped Hubby build aunt a deck after work and now I'm counting sheep while I type (getting a head start on sleep:).
Picture-youngest son and dil-so fun!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
11:39 PM

Post #9426257

Adorable couple Bells!! Cold, and more cold here!!I have enough snow for everyone I would be glad to ship it off to you!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
1:58 AM

Post #9426287

Oh goodie RJ, yes please!! My address is:

Speedie Bean
12345 Wrong Way
Lostinn, Confusion, 98765

I'll pay for shipping!! < =D

Bell, what a LOVELY couple!!! Gosh they're so young!! You musta had your son when you were like FIVE YEARS OLD!! =)

... I was talking with someone in a post somewhere about the workbench that DH and I built.. and now I've lost where it was!! I was gonna share a pic of the bench after it was built, and now I've got the pic, but lost the post. =( I hate when that happens.
Well, if anyone is interested, here's what our new workbench looks like. Wheee!!!

Thumbnail by speediebean

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
2:02 AM

Post #9426289

No shipping payment needed !! Just send me one of those !!! LOLOL It is beautiful!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
2:11 AM

Post #9426291

DUDE!! Was that a find or what!?!? Costco, $370!!! WooHooo!!!! That baby is STURDY too; DH and I both could dance a jig on it together without it wobbling... if we could climb up onto it, that is. ;)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9426553

Thanks for the nice words. I think they are cute, too! They are young, but son has aerospace technology degree and dil will complete x-ray tech in less than a year. They are 'smarties' :). I was 21 when I had Andrew.. I don't know how people who wait find the energy! Love the cool bench! We all have the krud! (Cough, runny nose, fever, yuck)! I may sneak out and stick a few things in the ground anyway:). I've been recycling some paper sheets into seed packets, put little butterfly/flower on them. RJ are those turkeys under your feeder? I hope you all have a great day!
Happy Gardening!
Picture of their first home, we saw it Sunday. It was soooo cold, they don't need snow:)
Oldest son turned 24 yesterday! Time flies, doesn't it? Second picture-Jayson-birthday boy!

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp         

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9426571

That is a cute place Bells!! Cold? In Florida? do you mean like 42 or something? Yes those are turkeys . I was lucky if it reached 24 here yesterday or any day in the last 5 months!!
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 21, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9426915

Hi All - Thanks for the congrats everybody-- Little Jacob got off to slow start but is eating very well now. I held him and fed him, Tuesday but have a cold, so not since then. We are all being dogged by this cold that the 4 1/2 year old brought home from jr. Kindergarden. Until this one started school, we were all healthy, now we catch everything!! I had to start telling them to kiss on the cheek, because everytime they kiss --I catch(whatever they've been exposed to) Before I had pnemonia at Xmas, I thought I was doing good -- had flu shot etc--now I'm catching everything doing the rounds. And RJ, I can feel for you, we are also getting hammered with snow and cold temps. Anxiously waiting on spring!!!- Will come back when feeling more myself. ttyl Sandra

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9427010

Aaaaw Sandra, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! =( Long-distance hugs are safe!! (((HUGGG!!))) < =D Now whatcha need is a hot Toddy and a good book.. and a comfy snuggly bed. =)

RJ, that's DINNER right there under your feeder!! < =D Heeheeheee (Oooh, I'm gonna get in so much trouble for that one!) < =P

Bell, what a GREAT looking first home for them, YAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!! Heeheeheee, Florida cold ... cold!?! That's funny. ;)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9427125

lol ...there are a few that would like them for dinner !! Just not me...lolll
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9427353

Sandra when my kids were little they were little Petrie dishes! -cute, but germ generators:). Not cold here in Fl, cold on Sunday visit in Alabama, brrrr. Thanks about kids home, I think they will really be happy!

Now, guess what??? Robin sent me 'THE' box!!!!! (I've never seen so many seed, number or variety!) I already had 100+ little cups from all you guys sent! Some are ready to move out, making way for some of the new seed! I've enlisted some gardening family/friends to help collect fresh seed, so I hope by the end of summer to be able to return a good bit for the newbees, or what Robin and Risingcreek think best, God willing. I want to pay it forward! Wish me luck. The moonflowers, squash, beans, columbine, melons, pumpkins, gourds, etc., etc., are all doing their part off and growing! I'll keep you all posted on the progress and probably be sending a couple of boxes in early spring because things grow and seed so quickly here.
Happy Happy Gardening!
Picture, Daughter-in-Lovelie's art, painted pink flower:)

Thumbnail by Bellsp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9428262

What a gorgeous painting!!!!! Wow, your DIL sure is gifted!!!!! < =D

Heeheeheee, "little Petrie dishes", that's funny! =)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9428627

Thanks Speedie, she is gifted and a real sweetheart, both of my Dil's (lucky sons, lucky me:)!). The other one makes gorgeous cakes and is an occupational therapist. I love them bunches, like having my own girls, finally. Still waiting on some 'Grand' Petrie Dishes of my own, no rush, ha ha. I was joking, but every mom knows little ones are walking incubators for all kinds of 'boogery business'! Hee hee, giggle.
I'm trying to separate the snap dragons, teeny, teeny, minuscule little plants. I think I may just have to lift several and plug, here and there in a tray, along with some of the other tinies and hope they get big enough to handle better. I seperated a few tiny ones and so far so good, but I did squish a couple. I can't use tweezers, cut them right in two, finally, pushed them out from underneath and dropped them best I could in bigger cup, whew. Kinda felt like a surgeon who lost a couple of on the operating table:(. Good thing bunches came up! Win a few, lose a few I guess? Still raining- like a monsoon here! I need to get some plants out, maybe between rains! Happy Gardening!
Picture of other Dil talent-cakes and cupcake queen.

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9428650

WOWWW, those look WAAYYY too good to eat!!!!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9429563

Wow Bells how lucky you are surrounded by creatives!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
3:42 AM

Post #9430617

Thanks!
I am so blessed! We had so much joy and happiness with our boys! Life was exciting, filled with football, basketball, track, etc. and now that the boys are grown and married it is like having daughters! Girl stuff, shopping, baking and girl talk:) All of them are just precious gifts. Gee, don't get me started-LOL:). It won't stop raining here, but that's good for the plants, it will be a jungle soon!
Happy Gardening!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9430627

Go ahead, get started!! < =D

I love my Mamma-in-Law just like that too, she is such a precious Gift!!!

Lots of raining around here lately too... but I'm NOT hoping for a jungle.. that means pruning, YIPES! ;) heeheeheee
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9430820

I am completely snowed in it is amazing how white it is and how quiet all that white can make it.

Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59         

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9430863

Good for you Speedie, I have a sweet and Fun mil, too! Gorgeous snow pictures RJ! Snow turns everything into a wonderland. I know what you mean about the serious silence, you can almost hear a snowflake dropping:) Still raining here, on and on. Sleeping great though with all that pitter patter.
Happy Gardening, indoors today!
Snarva
Lake Mohawk, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9430908

Hi, I'm new, and would love some surprise seeds! I will send my envelope soon...

We moved here last year and love it. So do the deer, so gardening is a challenge. Our property has a large wooded area and at is least partly shady except for a few small areas near the front of the house. I hope to grow a few vegetables and some herbs, and lots of flowers.

This is such a nice welcome, thank you!

Sarah
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9431023

That soounds like my place here Sarah!! It is good to meet you I will be watching for your envie!!! Welcome welcome!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9431628

We missed the big storm and now moving south of the snow belt, close to Savannah GA. My Charlie icon is kickin' his heels and raring to go to the warm southland!

AL
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9431840

Your going to love it here Sarah! Everyone is so helpful and sooo much great gardening info at your finger tips. I love the trade tracker, new garden showcase and all the plant files, articles, newsletters, etc. Gardener's dream come true. All the kind and knowledgeable gardening crowd and their fun critter/pet pals always ready with encouraging words, good advice or something to make you smile:) I've had more fun waiting on the mail man these days for sure! I look forward to hearing about everyone and their gardening adventures. Best of luck with your garden!

Picture of daughter-in-lovelies painted tree, sideways, sorry:)

Thumbnail by Bellsp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
3:03 AM

Post #9431953

Hi Sarah, Welcome!! =) Oh boy, more new friends to play with, YIPPEEE!! < =D

RJ, what gorgeous photos of your snow, and I especially love the one with the snow falling. Yes, the "hush" of a snow-laden landscape does give one pause... it's Heavenly. =)
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 26, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9432328

Finally found you guys again! I had forgotten how hard it is to keep up with you folks. Hope everyone is warm and toasty today. We were out of power here for awhile yesterday due to the massive snow storm. it looks like it will be a few days before we will be able to haul anything in the big trucks so I will be hanging around trying to plan my gardening for the spring.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9432359

Good day all! Good luck and stay safe and snug with the snow Enid! Your snow was our rain, finally sun came out this morning. I was fixing to build an ark!! Al just missed the monsoon down on this end of the world or I would have said pack your canoe and paddles! Rain water overflow up to both sides of street yesterday on way home. Today you would never know, sun and shine:). Happy Gardening/Planning indoors and out!

The piece of this firecracker plant Hubby brought home seems to be rooting, yea!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9432657

I'm beginning to think the snow is all done around my neck o' the woods for this Winter. < =/
We've got rain today again, and the weather channel says it's just gonna be too darned warm for snow for the next 10 days. Hm!

Bell, that's a lovely Firecracker Plant, I really like those things. We sell them at work, but of course for this area they are treated as annuals/tropicals.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9432708

Wow! We've got beautiful weather down here! It's a balmy 76 degrees here in Savannah, lots of green grass and trees even. Just a touch of rain, but good driving all the way. Will be here for about 4 days, then south to St. Augustine for another week or so.

Charley has been quiet so far, just along for the ride.

Al
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9432885

Thanks Speedie I had never seen it before we moved here. I'm so glad it looks like it is going to make it. Sorry about all the rain for you!
Al you guys are going to love trip and St. Augustine is soooo beautiful! Enjoy!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9433159

Arejay, I sent off some seeds to you today...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
1:17 AM

Post #9433244

Thank You PFG and Al enjoy your trip and thank you for the seeds Al!! Jonna the second envie arrived!! Thank You
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9435359

Good morning everyone! Good news the monsoon rains washed away all the pollen! Feeling better! The little seeds are flowing out of their cups! Oh boy, last of cold moves out this weekend and out they go to make room for more goodies RJ and Rising Creek sent for newbees!!!! Hope you all have a Great Day. Happy Gardening!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9437166

What a beautiful Sunday morning. No freeze for us here last night! That should be the last of the cold threat for us down here-yea, finally:). I made more labels last night. I wanted to share pictures of all the little sprouts, getting bigger! Have a wonderful day everyone! Miss Bumble, Charley, Annie and Isabelle and all the rest of the 'critters' :), hope alls well.
Happy Gardening Indoors and Out!

Pictures of newbee sprouts to be used for collecting, you name it-peppers (jalapeño, bell), tomatos, blanket flower, squash, pumpkins, columbine, hibiscus, snap dragons, goats beard, cone flowers, gourds, blue bonnet, Shasta daisy, herbs (lemon balm, hore hound), mallow, viola, salvia (red and purple), gazania, cockscomb, hollyhock, Canterbury bells, etc., etc. I just hope they all make it!!!! So exciting!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9437207

They are looking great Bells!! More snow here!!

Does anyone have any hops? Seed or cuttings, either will work.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9437978

Thanks, RJ! Build a snowman for me! I made some aluminum coke can and left over wire plant stakes. Keep me from forgetting where I plant stuff! I am going to spray the backs black so it doesn't look like litter in my yard:)
Happy Gardening-no hops here, but if I get some I will send:)!

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9438234

no hops here either, sorry

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9438320

I'll have to check AREjay, I may have some...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9438409

oh Bumble I just wrote to you
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9439576

I missed a dmail then realized if I typed in new and search it would give them to me, gee I guess I should have had a V-8-lol. I seriously should not be allowed to be on a computer, I'm pretty sure! Picked a few neon lookin orange marigolds yesterday and brought a gigantic spider in, ekkkkk! I think it was baby tarantula, no joke! Okay well maybe joking a little, but then I looked it up and it said there may be tarantulas here-ekkkkk!!!!
Wearing gloves and gardening:)

Little angels?

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9440645

‎'Behold the plant within the seed -
Enchanted form, as yet unfreed.

Growth gently pushes root and shoot -
Forming leaves, and flowers, and fruit.

Gaily adorned, with colors fair,
Ornamenting earth and air...

It develops, it unfolds -
All that once, its heart did hold.'
(Friedrich Ruckert)

Thumbnail by arejay59

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9440936

Beautiful Girl...
Hey Have anyone here ever posted to you tube. what is normal size. Mine is taking forever to load.
I'm always bumbling around. AGAIN!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9441037

It will take a while Bumble if you are on dial up
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9441742

Good Morning!
Such a beautiful poem and pretty flower, RJ! It was so beautiful and I don't remember that one. I love poetry. Thanks for sharing it:)

I have no idea about you tube Bumble I had to have help from everyone and tech DG wizard just to keep from logging myself out of DG all the time. But I wish you luck!

Look at what I spotted in someone's driveway while driving this morning! A peacock-long tail feathers. I wish I could have gotten a better shot, I tried to zoom in and crop it.
It's a jungle down here, ha ha:)

Happy Gardening!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9441918

I think I am...I'm not patient enough...
Fairy Door with elves. Dragon,,,

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9442007

Love your dragons bumble
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9442402

I'm smitten!! I am loving your dragon!!!! His marbeled ears and wings, beautiful spots, gorgeous colorful legs and that face, oh my! Your something else! How do you find time to do so much? I'm glad you do, I love seeing what you get into! Thanks for sharing so many pictures, I zoomed in on all of them, so much detail work! Great job!

RJ, I finally decided it was safe and put the tomatos, squash, peppers, melons and lots of flowers/vines out! Starting on another round! They are so small, I had to be very careful watering them.
Happy Gardening!

Picture of wild purple lupine and my tiger aloe blooming!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9442806

Nice blooms.
I make time, no one home to boss me around til 4;30, then hubby is home and as long as I have a meal on the ready, he is happy... :)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9443655

Good for you bumble:)!! Same at my house, food makes everything better for dad, hubby and me too:). Pulled radishes yesterday, enough for us, neighbor and aunt! I love radish greens. They are great boiled with bacon or flash fried with olive oil (great when thinning). I hope to have fresh salad this afternoon, Black Simpson lettuce (old faithful) growing really great! The beets (Detroit Red) look small, but who knows? The English peas are up about 11/2', I think I will try them in the Fall, too this year. I'm still figuring gardening out here in this zone. So different from Alabama.
Letting some flat leaf parsley and curly, one or two of the biggest radish go to seed and couple of bibb lettuce are nearly ready to collect (put them in during winter just to see and they lived! We didn't have a night below freezing -very mild winter this year.

The sprouts are out, so exciting! I can't wait to see how the Roma's and the Everglades tomatos do. I had time with tomatos last year. I put them out too late and then the heat got them when they were loaded with green tomatos! Most ripened inside and fried the rest, yum:). Happy Gardening!
The pride of mobile and other azaleas are blooming there hearts out! A real show stopper!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9443842

Thank you for the package Queenie!! What a nice box of seed!!
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9443958

Hi Everybody-well, I'm feeling much better after another round of antibiotics. It is almost 43 degrees today and tomorrow it is supposed to be close to 50 degrees, so I am happy that spring is starting to come.
A big thank-you to Robin and Charleen for the seeds you sent me! And Charleen I really appreciated the card you sent. A real Pick-me-up the day I received both envelopes. I just went out to the garage and my greenhouse( portable garage covered in white) and dug out my trays, pots etc. Had to climb to get the 2 heat mats out. I worked up a real heat (Sweat), so am taking a break. I went and got seed starter soil etc last week. The potting mix was on special, so i got 3 bags of that also, as it will be used to restart my geraniums. I am about 3 weeks late getting started, but hope to catch-up using the heat mats. Between new baby , babysitting, sister visiting and being sick for almost 2 months, I'm anxious to get planting. Have to get it all done before Easter at the end of march, as My neice from the Sault is coming to visit for a week then. She will be shocked,when she sees every surface in the house covered with tables with trays, but it can't be helped. I don't usually let anyone visit when I am doing all my bulbs and seeds because they think I am nuts!
RJ, I'm sure you are just as sick of this white stuff as i am and I know the temps are going back down next week but atleast these couple of days, give us a glimmer of hope for spring to come. Also gave me a chance to get all this in without freezing to death. Not hard to tell that I HATE winter- I am so envious when I read about the ones that can grow all year! Well, again thank-you so much.! I am Happy, Happy, Happy. Break over so I better get back at it. I want to be planting tonight!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9448389

Good afternoon! It's been crazy here! Put the sprouts out and horrors, the sun burned some up-eeek! All that patience, they were like babies, I'm in grieving. Not to be defeated, though, a good many made it. I am going to direct sow and see if this will help get me some more of things I lost, but now I have to wait again! Good news, the tags are holding up great:). On way to see oldest son and dil in Alabama-fun!
Picture of kitty showed up in garden, pregnant!!! Cute, but oh my!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9448704

[quote="mitchesgarden"]Hi Everybody-well, I'm feeling much better after another round of antibiotics. It is almost 43 degrees today and tomorrow it is supposed to be close to 50 degrees, so I am happy that spring is starting to come.
A big thank-you to Robin and Charleen for the seeds you sent me! And Charleen I really appreciated the card you sent. A real Pick-me-up the day I received both envelopes. I just went out to the garage and my greenhouse( portable garage covered in white) and dug out my trays, pots etc. Had to climb to get the 2 heat mats out. I worked up a real heat (Sweat), so am taking a break. I went and got seed starter soil etc last week. The potting mix was on special, so i got 3 bags of that also, as it will be used to restart my geraniums. I am about 3 weeks late getting started, but hope to catch-up using the heat mats. Between new baby , babysitting, sister visiting and being sick for almost 2 months, I'm anxious to get planting. Have to get it all done before Easter at the end of march, as My neice from the Sault is coming to visit for a week then. She will be shocked,when she sees every surface in the house covered with tables with trays, but it can't be helped. I don't usually let anyone visit when I am doing all my bulbs and seeds because they think I am nuts!
RJ, I'm sure you are just as sick of this white stuff as i am and I know the temps are going back down next week but atleast these couple of days, give us a glimmer of hope for spring to come. Also gave me a chance to get all this in without freezing to death. Not hard to tell that I HATE winter- I am so envious when I read about the ones that can grow all year! Well, again thank-you so much.! I am Happy, Happy, Happy. Break over so I better get back at it. I want to be planting tonight![/quote]

I am ready for spring!! 6 More days!!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9448707

[quote="Bellsp"]Good afternoon! It's been crazy here! Put the sprouts out and horrors, the sun burned some up-eeek! All that patience, they were like babies, I'm in grieving. Not to be defeated, though, a good many made it. I am going to direct sow and see if this will help get me some more of things I lost, but now I have to wait again! Good news, the tags are holding up great:). On way to see oldest son and dil in Alabama-fun!
Picture of kitty showed up in garden, pregnant!!! Cute, but oh my!
[/quote]

My Dad always said!! " If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again"

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9448849

My Dad always said!! " If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again"

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/#ixzz2NWKYilyy
Why did this do that??? I copied and pasted. Hmmmm!!!!
I think a lot of Dads has said that. It is so true too...
Iris, these white ones are always the first to bloom for me. Then a white violet, oxalis bloom, violet close-up and lastly is my beautiful Camellia...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9449003

We found a new friend for Charley. This is "Missy" and driver Teresa that took us for a nice tour around St. Augustine. We rode in a beautiful white carrriage all over town for about an hour and a half. Missy was very well behaved even in heavy traffic, amazing she was that calm around everyone and everything going on.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9449026

Charley was behaving himself most of the time, but we did have to keep him out of the pirate's rum on occasion.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad      

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9449227

Now Charley, you got to behave or you will break your ears or plane wings off. i thought i taught you better :-) Charley says, "Yea, Right Mom, I'll do what i want when i get a chance...
Beautiful pictures Al and I'm sure Charley would love Missy. She needs to teach him a thing or two, or three...
You had a beautiful trip...
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9451427

Thanks guys:). I'm taking all the dad's advice- try, try again! Had a great visit with oldest son and dil, still hoping to hear about a baby soon:).
Love the violet and camellia pictures!!! So pretty!
The trip to St. Augustine looked wonderful. It's been over 20 years, but once upon a time we rode in one of those carriages, so fun!

Do I hear 'Charley and Missy sitting in tree?' Lol!

Picture is of little red bird bopped into door, doing fine and flew away, so pretty:)

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2013
2:39 AM

Post #9451998

Looks like fun Al!! Be careful Bumble Missy will be wooing Charlie over to Florida!!

Bells that looks very much like our northern Cardinal ...blink...blink...how did he get there????

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9452384

Really? Good grief, I'm not a good bird ID person, but maybe he got cold? Lol:). Here's another picture.

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9452445

I'm not as good at I'd as I once was I forgotten pre then I ever knew...lol
Is it on your lap Bells? Seriously I have to buy just the right food hide behind a tall blockade and whistle a Chopin to get them to even come to my feeder and its
50 feet from the house!! That is incredible. There is another kind of cardinal but I'm not remembering it right now. maybe O will!,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9454402

No problem, Charley has his head buried in a hay bale. But it would be nice to take Charley to /fl. and walk on the beach. Missy can follow and guard us both...

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9455608

Looks like Charley and the girls are knee deep in hay, living the good life:)
RJ, the little cardinal was sitting on my lap! Jay put him there after he bashed his noggin in a guys full view door. But, he had some cool water and flew away not five minutes later, it was so fun to be so close to something so beautiful! Bumble, it is kinda of like when you put your hand on charley, every time I've ever touched a horse, miniature, donkey, mule, etc. there is just something awesome about it. I think it's awesome petting the little critters. I'm a sucker for them all! I even let a rolly Polly get away the other day because he looked kinda cute:). The little buggers are eating little spots on my radishes, but a couple of black cap chickadees moved into the birdhouse I put on the cucumber trellis fence and maybe they will snack on the rollys! Circle of life and all that:). Lol. I'll try and get a picture of the chickadees!
Happy Gardening!

I have to go paint lawn furniture, yuck!
Friend sent me this picture, looks like daffodil of some kind, but the edges look painted purple-I'm sure it's not, but wow is it pretty!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9455659

The First day of spring !! Look!! It must be April fools come early!! Did everyone get into the iris drawing that wanted to?

today is the last day!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/

and here is springs April fools joke!!
the next one is two days ago!! My lemon balm was just coming up!!

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9455721

Yeah right, it's Spring here! I think we've had one of the best Ski Seasons EVER! Has anybody seen anything GREEN lately? This is my welcome back from Florida week.

I've got a few early tomatoes and peppers started, but they're nice and comfy inside under my light stand.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9455725

RJ I'm so sorry about the snow storms you got hit with! I saw it on TV. My boys and friends got hit bad by the storms (straight line winds) day before in Alabama. Blew huge poplar inches from oldest son's new house. They live next to granny and paw paws and it blew glass out of storm door, part of roof off 2 story hay barn (they have cattle, that's a disaster), and blew the big oak down, lucky it missed their house:). Dil's mom was running for her basement when it blew out front windows on their brick 2story and sent porch ceiling fans flying through window and across the living room floor! Our friends woods around home were destroyed all around and it threw the trampoline somewhere, no power, roads blocked, kids on the roads in buses had to turn around and wait forever. Thank goodness no one hurt! Still can't get my mother in lovely, but had oldest son go over and her and all her farm critters okay:). Makes me pretty glad we live down here on coast, rarely have tiny tornado and I will be the first to evacuate me, dh, dear old dad and critters in case of hurricane. At least we know they are coming. In Alabama it was 'take cover', now it's 'evacuate'! Also, RJ did your lemon balm get killed back?
Has anyone voted on the invasives? My bird vote was for starling. But I wish I had a picture of a catbird, they roll other birds eggs out and lay their own for the songbird to hatch and raise! Awful! Also, I have a picture of dollar weed and rolly Pollies ready for next year! The dollar weed runs under flowers and you have to dig everything up to get those runners and then the birds spread it again-hmphf! The Rollies are cute but just munch randomly and reproduce here by the thousands!
Picture of barn roofing on ground, it was everywhere, paw paw waving through his now seriously 'Full View-open air' door, son and dil's pretty poplar laid out:( and one of that peaty dollar weed and cute but destructive Rollie's:)

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9455768

Brrrrrrrr AL and all y'all knee deep, but surely spring will hurry on up! Also, loved the vacation pictures, looks like you and family really enjoyed yourselves:)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9456758

Arejay, (hehehe) I didn't get in the drawing. But I'm already a winner.
Here is Charley Standing IN that hay trailer eating. He loves that trailer.
Peaches blooming , black berry summer ???? anyway they are blooming too. Butterfly wings I made. got some going to be pendants and ear rings.
think I been busy, That and keeping my Macho bulldog puppy out of fights. Can't stand them. Bet i wake the neighbors with all my hollaring...
You all have a grand day...
Hugs and nuzzles...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9457039

Bumble!! You are doing cane work isnt that what they call it? THese peach blossoms make me hungry for a fresh georgia peach! I bet they are yummy right off the tree!! Like our blueberries!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9457076

Will have some for my store soon. These are taken... 3 sets earrings and 4 pendants...
! blue butterfly...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9457129

I'm going to have to have some of those!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9457198

they are prettier when you see them...in person...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9457845

Does anyone grow freesia?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9459885

Good Morning Everyone. Sorry for the delay I will be back as soon as I can and we will draw for some irises!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9460686

Hey, bumble such pretty butterfly pendants:). No freesia, but I used to have some at last house, very easy to grow and beautiful sprays of flowers all colors, RJ. If I get some I'll stick them in your 'newbee' seed box when I send:). Threw out ten thousand seed today (lol-seemed like it, I can't wait!) Dad put out beans, cukes, squash and still trying on the tomatos. Rotted my chayote seed, neighbor Elsie sat her whole chayote on counter and it just grew right out of the fruit, I went and bought two more, one for her (to eat) and one to sit on counter. I think I was trying too hard.
Hope you all are great. Happy Gardening!

Picture Pineapple Sage, Neighbor Elsie's peace rose opened, red amaryllis, trailing pink flowe, Plumbago

craftie2
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9463621

Hi everyone. I am a newbie. stumbled on here in dec. but couldnt get a membership till now. I live in pensacola fl. So want to start my garden. but we got to 32 last night. Where is spring cant wait to get to know everyone. On another site I was invited to my first plant exchange met some great ladies and got some great plants wasnt able to offer anything but they didnt mind. Got some great planting info for our area.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2013
2:58 AM

Post #9465567

Welcome Craftie!! I just added you to the Iris drawing be sure to send your seed for newbies request to RC!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9465830

Welcome Craftie2:). We're neighbors! We moved to Pensacola 2 yrs. ago. How long have you been here? We're from north Al. Now, different temp., 'sandbox gardening', etc.! LOL, seriously! Our yard had been wiped by Ivan, except a few tough bulbs:). Happy Gardening! Bellsp
Pictures- Some of our Navy parachuters, the sky was full of them, the Blue Angel's jets are grounded until Sept. due to budget debates:(, Red amaryllis is a toughie here. Bumble and RJ, I glued sparkles on $6.00 Wally flip flops, love them:), that's as artful as I get, worse than holding tiny seed, sort of let them slide into the glue, ha ha!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9467020

Its time for the drawing!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/
Snarva
Lake Mohawk, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9467432

Thank you very much for the seeds!! Sorry I didn't say it sooner. When the envelope came I put it in my gardening box and sorry to say I forgot about it. But all the sunny weather we've been having has made me think of the outdoors and I set up an indoor garden area to start the seeds. We'll see if anything sprouts up. Being a newbie I am very overwhelmed by the whole process but I'm excited to watch them grow- hopefully. I'll keep you posted on their progress. Anyway, it was very, very nice of you to send the seeds. THANKS :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2013

Post #9467490

Snarva you are very welcome!! Did you see the Iris Draw Snarva?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/#new
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9469164

Welcome Snarva! You will meet some wonderful people here and this site has so much helpful information. Enjoy and Happy Gardening! Hope everyone had a great Easter:)
Pictures of neighbor's amaryllis and gerber daisy.

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9469427

Love that hot pink Gerber!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9470753

Hi peeps remember me?? I've been busy and not on DG much (although I see many of you on FB) so trying to catch up and "find" everyone haha. Easier said than done with this crew.

Glanced through the thread really fast but saw Robin and Al and Charleen and maybe Lori are here - yay. Where is mekos? Popping in to say hello and hope you aren't all buried under too much snow.

Hi to all the newbies - I'm an oldie that has been MIA. ;)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9470755

And I see Mit is still slingin' his beautiful Iris - excellent.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9470824

Hi Kelly! A few of us are still around. Good to hear from the bunch again.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9471030

Hello Kelly. Mekos is mainly on FB.
so glad to see you!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2013
3:53 AM

Post #9471392

Kelly!!! Yeay!! Nice to see you girl!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9471843

Hi everyone. Been off a while. I forgot password to come back...;( Bumble you rubbin off on me... ;)
Kaylee turned 3it in March. If I can figure how to post with this phone I will show you her horse and a few flowers in bloom at my house.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9471844

;( It didnt work.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9471857

You will get it Mekos. yeahhhhhhh!!! We are so glad to see you, girlfriend. Yep, us Bumblers bumble and forget things. heh heh
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9472067

I forgot my baseball cap once, then I remembered my head was still in it!

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9472068

Oh oh look the gangs all here !!! Kaylee has a horse!! Tyler a month younger than Kayle just got a dog!! He is in love

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9472071

Lol Al!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9473217

Hiya kids. I had fun catching up on this thread.

Belle - you put me to shame. I'm so far behind!

Robin - are you still looking for the Alternanthera? I have the 'Party Time' and 'Purple Knight' varieties. No seed, just little plants and/or rooted cuttings. Let me know.

Yep - on another thread someone called this "bipolar weather." I had to laugh. I don't remember a prolonged winter like this in NC. I'm hopeful it will help to keep the bug population at bay.

Looks like a pretty weekend. I decided in addition to my school work (end of semester at end of April/first week of May) I can start a little bit every day. I'm focusing on just a few things this year, but I can't help myself. The butterfly garden is all. Belle- that white flower up there you said grows on concrete? Looks like Bidens alba (?).

Al - did you find your hat?

Well speedie and mekos and everybody - have a good night and pleasant weekend! Tis the season!

A.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 6, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9473545

Happy Birthday Amanda !!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9473552

Ha ha ha - thanks Mitt. I can't even hide on the NewBee thread!!!! :D
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9473586

Oh !! Happy birthday Amanda!!! Yes O am still wanting eyebright!! I would be glad to trade something or pay the postage!! The cuttings or plants would be even better than the seed!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9473589

ha ha ha a - thanks Robin. Tell me which one you call "eyebright" for I'm not familiar with that name.

How's the weather up there? As if I didn't know. Probably too soon to send fresh plant material, eh? Even down here we are still having dips into the 30s (just broke out of the 20s last week!). Tell me which or both, and I'll start prepping them for the idea of living in Maine. heh.

A.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9473701

http://www.abchomeopatia.com/euphrasia-ojos-irritados/

This the one I was looking forAmanda

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9473829

oh my goodness. Are you sure Robin? That's not alternathera ficoides. It's euphrasia - and I don't think I have that one. ;)

A.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9473837

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EUPHR

It's says it grows here . I can't find it?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9474236

[quote="arejay59"]I found
Tsidorus

Now I am looking for

Joseph's Coat
Alternanthera ficoidea
I would be happy to pay postage or trade something.[/quote]

Robin - this was way up at the top of the thread. I thought this was what you were looking for and I have 2 different kinds of alternanthera.

I didn't know you were looking for euphrasia - I haven't seen any in a long while. Will keep my eyes out for it!

A.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9474811

YAHOO! - Spring has finally sprung! It seems like the first time we've seen the sunny blue sky in months. A few of my crocuses are up along with my tomato and pepper babies planted last month. I know that I'm way behind you folks, but it is in New York.

Have a great week.

Al

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9478694

Yes Amanda I am looking for that too!! this is the eyebright I am looking for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Augentrost.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Augentrost.jpg
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9478711

Yes Amanda I am looking for that too!! this is the eyebright I am looking for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Augentrost.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Augentrost.jpg

I was looking for that also but for someone else. Joseph's Coat
Alternanthera ficoidea
I would be happy to pay postage or trade something.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/#ixzz2Q4eElYv0

The eyebright is for me.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9480190

Love the Crocus Al - gorgeous! Happy to see much of the old gang is still here. ♥
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 11, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9480402

Hi Kelly. Are you back ?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9480485

Hi Mitt - been here all along just lurking when I can. LOL.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9480508

Rhododendron and Azalea's in bloom, also Banks Rose...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9480539

I hear we have some lurkers!!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9480567

Beautiful flowers Charleen, now I'm seriously jealous of everybody's warm weather. We'll just have to hold on for Spring, Robin. Good to hear from ya Kelly!

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9481281

Mit, OHHHHH Mit. Look at what I have Blooming. Red rider...
Isn't it beautiful??? I love it...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9481612

It is beautiful Bumble!!! I remember you getting that one!! I'm jealous to Al you're not alone there!! I am having a Maine version of April showers. Sorry they load sideways I have no clue why!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9482066

Happy to see most of the old junkies are still around lol.
It was 88• today summer is a comin. We've broken 90• a couple times already this spring ugh.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9482150

We could use just a little of that up here Kelly!! Get the fans out would you and blow North East
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9482552

Hi locakelly I'm a newbee and enjoy hearing from everyone here, too. I've been out in the yard! Caught spring fever/weed fever and can't seem to keep up:). Amanda-thanks for the 'white' flower ID, I will look that up. Hope everyone is well. We all are doing great. My tomatos were wiped out, even the Everglades ones, but I have English pea bigger than I've ever seen:). I'm debating on what to do about tomatos, and may just get them at a market this year. The lettuce, radish are great. Flowers sprouting, I just am not sure what, where yet and I had such good intentions with my stakes. I think the seedlings sprout legs and move around at night just to trip me up-LOL. Well, like Al said try, try again! Happy Gardening! I better go pull another weed:). It's a jungle here already.
Pictures-spotted this 'albino' squirrel-cool, rat tail cactus baby, and unknown amaryllis just popped up-one of moms.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2013
1:04 AM

Post #9486786

Sorry to hear that Bells !! The good thing is tomorrow is another day and the sun shines in FLorida just waiting for you to plant some more and try again!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9495259

All about seeds
http://www.newdream.org/resources/webinars/seed-library

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9497003

I am looking for a Limelight 4 o'clock seeds. I had a plant but it died. I want some to plant into ground, I'm sure it will do better. I'm so aggravated... I hope someone has some...
Iris are in bloom...Also columbine...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2013
11:28 PM

Post #9497475

and some Jacobs walking stick I sent some to someone, if you still have some would you let me know? Limelight I think I sent some of that out too. Maybe some will be leftover of both.
Thank you

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9497782

I hope. this has been a goofy, aggravating day. I lost some seed and I know it took me 40 min. looking but finally found them. guess the dogs had knocked them now, Thank God, Kaluha didn't Shred it or Radar, Tbo is just as guilty, Little shredders. So glad i found them. One is a mini passion vine, with a small fruit. Came from Malaysia. i do have extra seed. I'll share...I am blessed when I'm not being GOOFY. Bumbling around...so glad I Bumbled into finding it...Whew!!!!!
Thank for listening, I need to vent...
Love and mule nuzzles to all...
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9499052

Bumble-so glad to hear! I have been sooo busy spring is just too much:). In a great way.
RJ-I don't know about any walking stick, but I LAN on sending as few things your way soon:)
Hope you all are well and enjoying spring!
Picture side front yard! Green!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9499289

Great pictures everybody, now I'm really jealous. My irises and tulips are just budding, daffs in full bloom right now. Some of the irises Mitt gave me a couple of years ago are coming on in good shape, soon to be out in force.

I stopped by our local farm market that had a huge basket of sprouted garlic for an almost giveaway price. It was the "white China" type, but I've grown it before in my garden with fairly good luck. We can plant it in the Spring (better in the Fall) but I enjoy the garlic "greens" that can be used chopped fresh in salads, spagetti sauce, and my special homemade pizza, delicious. In fact, we use a lot of it. If anybody wants to try, I can send a good size pack of bulbs for $2 or $3 worth of stamps. I've got plenty to share!

Happy gardening!

Al

This message was edited Apr 27, 2013 7:28 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9499658

got you all some Iris blooms...

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 28, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9499688

I see someone has some beautiful irises in Barnesville ;-)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9499702

Yes she does there are several in several southern states that we might get to see soon!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9500118

Mit, You got me some beauties...
I hope they show their pictures to us...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9501320

Anybody seen the new postage stamps out lately? They show beautiful heirloom seed packet designs! Check your local Post Office for details, they are a limited edition on sale now.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9501333

I took a quick walk around the house this morning. Weather has been so darn dreary lately. We have a few things out, but just getting started with Spring blooms. A few daffs, tulips, for-get-me-nots, and pansies (we got from Lowes). Mitt's irises will be up soon.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9501759

those stamps are wonderful!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9503011

Beautiful pictures everyone! We don't have too many tulips bloom here. I did have a beautiful yellow iris I was sent bloom, but I am hoping it sends out one more because it shut before I got a picture:(. Today, I asked fellow gardener about her red blooming aloe and she surprised me by giving me two beautiful cactus and a baby from the aloe:). I just wondered about the name. Definately returning that favor! Hope everyone is well. Happy Gardening!

Pictures Sweet William hot pink, the next one had 3 colors on one bloom, canna, vinca and the last one was covered in these little pink blooms and I meant to get a picture, but this was one of the last-so pretty!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9508120

Hi everybody - been busy with school, but I have also been dawdling (sp?) pulling up weeds in the garden.

Not really busy with seeds, dang - already May. I guess If I'm going to grow it I'd better get growing! I have one more exam - easy peasy - and an outline due for my advisor about my master's work. Then I'll be done with "schooling" though I probably won't get my degree until NEXT spring. Too many hoops to jump thru to get to graduate in the fall, and I'm not in the mood for jumping.

Ummm, well that has to do with moola too, and there's a shortage of that too, although my 'money plant' has started sending seed pods. :D

Robin I'll let you know in a week or two when I can send the 'Party Time'.

Belle - I planted your butternut squash 'Waltham' and the plants are gorgeous. I have only a few things started, but my iguana loves butternut so I am determined to feed her from the yard this year.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!
A.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9518844

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day:).
I had a great one, found the bromelAid that youngest have me when he was like 9, thought it perished when I forgot to pot it up, but it was there with 3 new ones! I have 4 tomatoes-:). 2 were mystery tomatoes and 2 volunteered in front flower bed:). Oh well! Who knows?
I'm glad your butternut made it!! I have several unknown vines, pretty sure one is a gourd and yellow squash coming up great, green beans up:). Good luck with your schooling, that's tough, hang in there!
Hope everyone else is enjoying spring!
Pictures, Neighbors pineapple (snapped one of mine off:( cleaning it, hoping it roots) , Easter lilies and white vinca, just an accident they came up together:), fun Mother's Day coffee cup youngest son got me, he knows my weak spots:) and Gazania?, I have one in my yard that came up from trade, this one I spotted on side of drain ditch:), going to give it a new home where it won't be mowed down! Love these:)
Happy Gardening!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9523408

Hey! Great pictures and I am especially impressed with the mug.

Which causes me to remind you that the "ugly mug" swap is coming up in June, and I have just drafted you to participate. Love my mugs!!!

And my seedlings too.

I have winecup and yellow bells (tecomah stans (sp?) Coming up from Carey in TX. Your butternut are almost ready to how in their boxes. They will be growing vertically. Cats ate the tops off one, so now I have 5 insteAd of 6. I find squash hard to tell apart! Good luck with it! Aside from 3 different kind of milkweed I can remember what else is growing. I hope I have time !? To start more.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9528895

Hey it looks like things got busy in here!! I sear I've looked everyday and saw no notice for anyone talking in here for we'll over a week!! What do you think my eyes???? Hi Amanda that's the first picture I have ever seen of you. bells beautiful!,

What's everyone up to? What are you planting what's in blossom?
I have very little flowering yet soon maybe!!
Violets, phlox and a few Hostas but its a start!!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9529003

the only thing i have blooming are goji berries and some different mallows. still waiting on everything else

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9529057

Let's see.

What's blooming:

Homestead verbena
Brazilian verbena
Phlox 'Minnie Pearl'
Tradscantia ohioensis
Rudbeckia triloba
Lunaria
coreopsis 'Nana'
Gaillardia aristata
Snapdragon
CA poppy
Salvia white perennial
Asclepias tuberosa
Asclepias exalta
Bradbury's monarda
Geranium 'Sambor'
Salvia greggii 'mesa rose'
Itea viginica
oxalis woodland pink
heuchera
Daisy fleabane

Phew!

I think that's it. I'm also waiting for buds to pop on bunches of things. :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9529283

It must be beautiful down there Amanda!! Mallow!! I love Mallow Rc do you grow a lot of them?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2013
1:45 AM

Post #9529288

We have some Mit's Irises blooming!!! You can dmail me I will give you the link to see them all

Thumbnail by arejay59

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9529426

Not all that new, stopping by to say hello to Charleen and Charley. 43c and every thing is getting burnt to a crisp.
Regards,
Arif.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9529746

Oh, my Goodness. I pray for rain for you Arif. Besides that are you doing o.k.?? Look I got a chicken. Now I got a mule and a chicken with a dog running behind us. Yeeeee Hawwwww!!!
greetings our friend. Charley sends you sweet nuzzles...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9531483

Amanda Jan Mekos asked me to tell you never mind ill email :)
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2013
12:44 AM

Post #9532045

Thank you Charleen and give my regards to Charley :)
Regards,
Arif.
DebraDwife
Monterey, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9534988

Hi - very new here. Glad to have found this site and a forum to boot! Love it! I'm Debra and I currently live in FL. We are however, moving back to IN and I will be in zone 5b!!! I can't wait! I have not had a garden since 2001 when we left Indiana. I tried that first year down here in FL, but I just couldn't handle the fire ants... black widows...and scorpions!

I have nothing to offer in the way of trades, but when I do get my first garden in and begin to landscape, I will be very excited to save and trade. I will look around on the forums for people who are offering out of the kindness of their hearts to get me going again.

I am using the journal on this site to begin my plans for 2013. By the time we close on the house and actually get settled - it will be mid June. I will begin to look at the veggies I can plant for a summer garden and I will begin to consider late summer and early fall plantings. BTW, any suggestions for vegetable seeds to begin late June/early July for late summer plantings?

I will look to mix flowers and veggies in my garden so any suggestions or offers of tips will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this was too chatty - Just very happy to have found you all!
Dwife~

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9535011

Hi Debra!! So glad you found us. You'll find that our enthusiasm is shared by all here in the New Bee forum. :)

Late summer plAntings in IN. Hmmmm. A bit out of my league and zone. I did not have my own garden before I moved here from Boston, and its mostly what I love about NC. I grew up in PA, so it's not un likely that you'll be looking at some fall crops if you're not starting till June. And/ or you will have to be trading or begging for FulL grown plants. Fortunately, most of us will be glad to send out plants for little or nothing in trade
,sometimes just enough for postage. :)

Keep us posted on your progress. I will be hoping to hear from you directly. ;)

A.

DebraDwife
Monterey, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9535028

Dear Amanda:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will certainly get in touch as I discover my needs. Glad to be on board!

~Debra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2013
12:52 AM

Post #9535338

Welcome Debra!! The season is so far behind my bet is you will do fine if you plant as soon as you settle! Be sure to send me a envie. Ill send it right out!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9536114

Welcome Debra, we are so glad to have another "newbee"
La. Iris...

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9537015

Welcome Debra:). Good luck on the garden! Lots of help here for sure!
Pictures- 'Friends are like flowers in the garden of life.'. Bouquet from garden-1 for Grandma/Aunt, 1 for neighbor on Mother's Day-Love sharing the joy- you may recognize a couple of the blooms?:)The cactus I thought was blue whorl finally whorled-crazy about!!!! (Last two are sideways).
Hey guys- scorching here!!!! No rain in sight for over a week:(. Looks like I'll be toting the hose-lol!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9537301

Get those rain barrels set up too Belle, just in case!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9541993

Amanda-teensy downpour for like 10 seconds:( yesterday, didn't even wet under the trees! Found 4 survivor tomatos, let you know how they do:). Definately saving seed if one makes it! Picture if little pink zephyr lily in my aunts yard- need to get me one:)

Thumbnail by Bellsp

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9544512

Cute Lily! We had some rains yesterdAy that line of thunderstorms was at her impressive on the radar!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9545589

Buffy if you are here. I will send today. Would you dmail me? Thanks Buffy

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9545834

Funny. Did you see the 'hortiscope' on the main page for today about good gArdeners finishing all of their chores? I guess that means I'm a crappy gardener, and I thought I was at the very least half-a _ _ ed. :/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9545877

pfft finish? There is no finish to a garden...lol!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9547141

Daylilies...Oh, and Black out lily too...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9547910

Lovely!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2013
2:01 AM

Post #9548142

Good Morning
Has anyone use the garden showcase yet?

Thumbnail by arejay59

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9548437

I didnt even know what it was until I went to look at it after your post. some nice pictures but I would be too embarrassed to show my garden after seeing them LOL I do enjoy seeing what wonderful things others have done
kc
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9548457

lol have you seen the weeds at my place RC? I grow herbs. They are all weeds!! Jewel weed taking over!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9548738

I have problems with the native sunflowers, that the birds dearly love, growing everywhere. dont have the heart to take this food source away from the birds, so I work around them. they are in my veggies, my herbs, everywhere. my other pain in my garden is mustard. comes up everywhere. that I pull out. Just cannot keep up with the weeds once the heat hits.
kc
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9548746

forgot to ask if you save seeds from the jewel weed. I would love to have some, it works so well on insect bites, poison ivy etc. cant find any seeds for it though.
kc
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9548936

I will see if I have any saved but even if I don't...I have plenty that will set seed and probably sooner than later!! So yes I will send you plenty!!
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

June 6, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9548980

Should I wait til Mitt sends the flowers to post pictures of wifes flower gardens. Fred
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9549184

thank you thankyou!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9549340

Arejay and RC. You have some nice native weeds. :)

Another funny at the hortiscope today. A friend of mine on Facebook wrote on her page yesterday, "Garden . . ..done!!!"

I kept my mouth shut.

A.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9549503

"Another funny at the hortiscope today. A friend of mine on Facebook wrote on her page yesterday, "Garden . . ..done!!!"

I kept my mouth shut.

A."
Ill take my cues from you A!!!

"Should I wait til Mitt sends the flowers to post pictures of wifes flower gardens. Fred"

No Fred post away!! I would love to see her gardens!!! "Mit will start mailing soon. By July anyway as soon as the blossoms are done!!"

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9549805

Cabbage-Pepper Relish
2 medium heads cabbage
6 sweet peppers
6 sweet red peppers
8 carrots
8 onions
½ c. canning salt
2 quarts vinegar
6 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. celery seed
1 Tbsp. white mustard seed
1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
Chop vegetables, discarding pepper seeds and first peeling carrots and onion.
Mix with salt and let stand 3 hours.
Drain liquid from vegetables and discard.
Boil vinegar, sugar, and spices, while hot pour over chopped vegetables and bring back to boil. Cook 15-30 minutes. Pack into hot sterilized jars. Seal at once. Process in boiling water bath (212*) 5 minutes. Makes 14 pints…

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9549884

Suppose I could do this with beans or cauliflower?

Delish!

Thanks. :)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9550030

'Done'- ??? Now that is side splitting humour-lol! Drowning in weeds, finally getting a little ahead with actual st. Augustine-patch of 'yard'? out front! The iris/day lilies are spectacular! We need more rain, hit and miss! Thank you for relish recipe, Bumble!!! My husband will love it! Sounds great. Put a few pictures on garden showcase, 'showcasing' effort at having something green/flowers or we can eat:). No Grandbaby yet, still practicing patience:). Hope you all are well and enjoying your gardens.
Picture of garden surprises-Gasteria finally bloomed after taking advice to sit outside (several years old!), beautiful Crown of Thorns? cactus bloomed soft yellow tinged pink, the Blue Whorl cactus - it finally whorled this spring (picture sideways-bottom left) and 'Baby' pink (?-don't know real name) runner rose bloomed, yea!
More garden humour- Picked a gourd? to eat the other day, still not sure:) I'll try and remember to get a picture and let you guys know if it was any good-lol!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9551581

Ooooo, pretty. Specially that first one. A neighbor gave me her crown of thorns last year. The blooms are pink. I've never seen a yellow variety, but I'm no cactus connoisseur. :p

No funnies in today's garden. Just very squish and still caring for my disabled neighbor. Once you fall into this kind of helping its hard to pull out. Still have his 11 year old old black lab mix. House ( and yard!!!) Still infested despite 4 foggers set off in the house yesterday.

Newbies: don't do as I do!!!

Have a nice evening.

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9574163

Hello everyone. Seems no one has posted here for nearly 3 weeks, so don't know if you have moved on to another thread and I missed it on the thread, or everyone is just out working or weeding their gardens. I have been MIA for quite some time, but hope to be able to get back to posting and visiting with everyone!

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9574589

Now we're getting some serious summer weather, temps nearly in the 90's. Things really warming up fast and waiting for the next rain tonight. My tomato plants are knee-high right now and growing fast with this humidity and all. We'll be eating fresh ones in another month or so.

Spent the last two days cleaning up the lawn and returning the starting benches to the storage shed until next year. Planting lots of cosmos, marigolds, zinnias, snapdragons and sunflowers. The Mexican sunflower (tithonia) is new this year, but is well recommended by other gardeners. Supposed to be a great butterfly and hummingbird feeder, we'll see for sure later.

Al

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9574616

I wanted to show these photos in bloom for wild cosmos, common milkweed, and crownvetch that we sowed last year at a local city park. They were just beautiful this Spring, attracting lots of butterflies and hummingbirds.

Al

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9574788

Looks like some nice work, Al. :)

I'm a good bit behind in my sowing, but I suppose the season will be just as long as it always is.

Hiya Patti! I thought you were awfully quiet. No, we are not gone, we are just out weeding.

What have you been up to? I know you've been nursing some wounds. Glad to have you back.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9575878

I've been gardening we didn't get any weather to garden in until three weeks at. So I'm out in any time I can be!! Arden looks as beautiful as it ever did Al!! I have a few blossoms lets see, my 4 year old rosé cutting is amazing this year

Thumbnail by arejay59

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9576112

Arejay, is the sale still going? I need a link please for a friend...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9576201

Yes still on the website is
Www.thatotherstuff.com
Facebook page is
Www.facebook.com/beardediris

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9576966

Has anyone other than me noticed changes in DG? I cant see anything with my chrome and in FF it looks like I am on the wrong website. Anyone else? Anything different?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9577078

Robin, a lot of folks just plain got lost in this the last week or so. Problem is this - the new Dave's format won't boot properly using the old "cookie" already in most peoples' browser. The old cookie must be cleared before the new one will replace it. The answers are here in DG's forum and the EarthLink advice, so check these out for more help:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1321152/
http://earthnet.net/support/general/clear_cache.htm#.UcziZJxRCJQ

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9577495

Thank you Al, If I had thought about it for a minute...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2013
11:18 PM

Post #9587243

Good Morning Everyone. I hope you are finding your way with the new Dg design. I think the member list mailing addresses are gone. If I am wrong and someone knows where they now are would you point me in the direction?
Fordpickup and Snarva if you see this would you dmail me?
Thank you
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9587518

the member list has a button across the top when you go to a forum, but not on the home page. the address exchange seems to have disappeared
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9587828

I talked to Admin about that several days ago. Apparently that function somehow disappeared with the new format. They informed me that they were aware of the problem and are working on it.

Al

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9588278

Try this link from a brrowser, to see if you can jump straight to it:

http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/

I was able to edit my entry.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2013
11:51 PM

Post #9588540

Yes I did find the member list. Thank you Rick how do we find it without the link?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9589441

>> Thank you Rick how do we find it without the link?

I have no idea where it is in the DG menu system. I only found it once in the old menu system - it was so hard to find that I made my own shortcut and put it in my browser (a "bookmark" or a "favorite").

At that time, I could also make it into a Windows desktop shortcut, so I made one and dragged it into a folder of "gardening shortcuts".

P.S. Does the Stash need any lettuce? I just stocked up on butterhead/buttercrunch and 1-2 Romaine varieties.

Also I bought an ounce of endive/escarole by mistake!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2013 6:05 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2013
12:08 AM

Post #9589696

Thanks Corey I don't need it but Rc might.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9593240

I'm alive! Just barely! I had not posted in like forever. Little under weather and then buried under weeds, now I am rising up and floating in monsoon rains! Pulling succulent pots here and there, hoping nothing rots, repotting, just insane. I had to catch up, everyone's gardens gorgeous! I can't see far right side of my screen on here? I discovered the most gorgeous Passion flower in the ally and am trying to root. I will try and collect seeds off of it later. The vegetable garden is a wash literally floating! Squash are huge, but I expect if rain doesn't rot they should be loaded when we dry out if ever-lol. Okra still short here like last year slow start. Hope you all are well and enjoyed your fourth holiday!

Pictures-enjoying deck done finally:) purple oxalis, pretty zinnia, grandmas 95th bday flowers from yard, gourd-remember all those vines? Lol

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2013
1:22 AM

Post #9593673

Beautiful Bells!! I think I have moved to London and was sleeping possibly through the move!! Rain, rain and more rain here!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9598076

Same two. Here Belle and Robyn.

Pics are lovely. I LOVE that purple oxalis. I am trying to steal one from a neighbor. :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9599458

show us pic of your passion vine when you can Bell. I recieved a wonderful box of iris from our wonderful friend Mit. Here is what i got in my box. Will try to mud them in today. sign is right and rain was light when I went out with the chihuahuas...Look on the leaves- names of iris. GREAT!!!!!

fordpickup
Clinton, IN

July 16, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9601158

RJ. and Mit. I received the box of iris you sent in the mail and I'm just thrilled that the names are on them. I have Googled each name so I now know what color they are and I'm ready to plant them in their new home in the "Farrington's Iris Patch". I have many iris already, but most of these you sent are different than what I have. Now I can hardly wait for next spring to see them in bloom. Iris is one of my favorite perennials and I'm like a kid in a candy store when I see some I don't have.You have made my day! :) We'll send pictures next spring. Thanks again! :)

Doris Farrington (Fred's wife)
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9601198

I rec'd my box of iris also, and I think i forgot to say thank you. so thank you so very much. I got so involved looking up colors and planning where I will plant them, my manners went out the window.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9601202

Have to add that I was like a child at Christmas with the iris box. so wonderful
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

July 16, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9601278

Here are some pictures taken in May and June 2013 of the Farrington's Iris Patch. We're glad to be adding to it with the iris bulbs we received.

Thumbnail by fordpickup   Thumbnail by fordpickup   Thumbnail by fordpickup   Thumbnail by fordpickup   Thumbnail by fordpickup

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9601284

Good afternoon everyone:)! RJ love the bird:)! Is it your lovebird? Bumble- congrats on all the pretty iris. I did not think they grew here, but my neighbor has a bearded bronze one and I have been very lucky with the Dutch iris, LA iris and that type, plus 2 old timers from back home, doing just fine:). Here's a picture of the vine. Mine looks to be rooting. This is actually a picture if a flower in the one in the ally, hanging over neighbors fence:)! Is anyone else having a hard time seeing the far right if the page, mine is cutting off words? Rained again yesterday- monsoon! I am toting plants succulents and cactus trying to dodge fall out!
Picture of unknown cactus Jay brought me-I like the thick round pads, summer poinsettia, iris-morea?, new fun things, and last picture- no you are not seeing things- my 95 year old grandma put the little purple flowers on the spider lily and made her own 'hybrid'. Lol! I think spider lilies look too much like spiders and she thought it looked much nicer:). You be the judge:)!!!!

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9601287

Oh, those are gorgeous iris Ford! In case the picture of Grandma's 'hybrid' got cut off - lol here it is again:)!!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9601298

Opps-forgot to put picture of Passion flower:)! Here it is.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9601932

Great photos!! Farrington's Iris Patch is beautiful and I am glad to hear the new Irises will fit right in!! Happy irising RC and Bumble yooour Rhizomes look lovely, did you get them mudded in?
You are all very welcome I am pleased you are enjoying them!!
Bells that is not me with the bird on my head...that is Amanda!! I went to the Blueberry fields yesterday, no blueberries but beautiful views and lots of St Johns Wort and Mullein!! So I am happy!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9602074

Yep, got the rhizomes mudded in and they should be happy campers when those new roots start soaking up the nutrients... Now I can't wait til next spring...
Snarva
Lake Mohawk, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9602243

Well, the irises arrived and I was shocked by the quantity!! I thought there would be just a few but I kept unwrapping and unwrapping ... Awesome!! There was even enough to share :) They are all happily tucked in now and I can't wait to see them bloom. I looked up each one online to see what to expect and they're beautiful!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Sarah
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9602245

Yeah Sarah!! Plenty to share!! I love that!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9602364

What? A bird on my head?
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9609655

Sorry about the bird mix up:). I still can't see far right of the words on here? Can you believe was still raining like a tropical rain storm yesterday evening, high wind, too, small limbs down:(. The rain blew sideways-cactus couldn't hide, but high and dry this morning!! Maybe we will drip dry a little. Amanda very cute bird by the way! And everyone's pictures are gorgeous! My gourd vines are over half the garden-the squash are gigantic-no fruit though because if rain-the beans are over the fence-few beans-all this rain? An orange trumpet vine sprung up beside my shed just like it knew where I needed it, though and I have a suspicion that there will be lots of squash once the rain stops, beans, too-I hope-I hope:). Happy Gardening!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9625158

When Arejay (Robin) is back we'll have a new contest with the prize being Japanese Irises. We are downsizing and I am donating my J I collection to the WKBG, and as I am digging I'm setting some aside for this prize. Pictures will be provided.

I am happy to report that my nephew is going to take my pond liner, fish and plants as well as all the other stuff to keep it running. DH and I are just too old to get in and out to maintain the fountain, filters, fish and plants. He insists I'll be welcome to visit and I won't have to work to enjoy it. He also hinted that they wouldn't refuse weeding help.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9625233

Something bad happens when we get older. We get weaker and slower and just need to downsize...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2013
2:50 AM

Post #9625591

I prefer to call it being finally smart enough to make lower-maintenance choices so we can enjoy our lives more :-)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9625747

I've made a lot of choices like that...

Al
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9625860

Robin, here's what I have sent to you:
8 Moonflower packs
17 Amsonia Eastern Blue Star packs
17 Jester's Jacket hardy geranium
8 Weigela
17 Dbl French Marigolds

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9625882

5 Amaryllis Red Lion, 9 Larkspur, 4 pkgs Marigolds, 6 snapdragons, 4 zinnias, and an assortment of other stuff I won't be using in the near future so decided to purge. The Hollyhocks, garlic chives, and Morning Glories will go in the next package.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9626012

I think it was Robert Heinlein who said:

"It's funny how much "mature wisdom" resembles being too tired."
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2013
1:50 AM

Post #9626379

Amen.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9627294

Good morning! Been under weather, doing better:)! Oldest son better-Yay!!! Still no Grandbaby:(.
Seeing all your post about downsizing and slowing down makes me feel not so alone on that:). I'm doing African violets-small, easy to pot, fun to collect & easy to lift-LOL!!!
Love pics. of what everyone is sending. I sent sm.box :). Dil is going to show how to put pics. on disc. I would love to tape pic. on my collection bag!!!! Mittsey your packs are gorgeous-pics. on packs-worth 1,000 words:).
Neon orange dahlia bloomed:) Rained out in garden-still there's Fall. Old walking onion/parsley/lettuce/cabbage/potatoes & Precoge d' Argentuil asparagus all good:). Trying in Fall w/heat tolerant tomatoes. Grasshoppers Lopers? easy to see/pick & squish-out to chew the citrus:(. Hope for citrus next yr.? Hi Ridesredmule and Al:)! Happy Gardening!
Pics. of neighbor Elsie's av and my aunts canna:)

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9627434

Parting with my plants is a lot like parting with my children. I am very happy to see them again but I don't want the day to day care. I am so happy that my nephew wants the pond. He has done professional pavers and the pictures that he showed me on his phone, shows just how beautiful his yard will be some day with his little pond meandering into my larger pond. First he must dig the "hole" for the liner, luckily I can advise him not to make the mistakes that I made. A little deeper in the middle and a nice shelf around most of the edging for the lilies. It would be wonderful to have a properly placed cement pad for the fountain to sit on so it is always at the correct depth. Not having a lot of trees drop their leaves right into wouldn't be bad either. I'm having fun designing the new pond. When I gave away all of my orchid plants, I missed them, but the moving them back and forth from FL to NY was a nightmare. I don't miss that.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
1:19 AM

Post #9628043

Good Morning, Thank you Mittsy, they haven't arrived yet but maybe today!! I too am a down sizer is that the same thing as a baby boomer? I wonder which contest we should run, any ideas anyone?
I am just back from vacation I will need a couple of days to find my desk again then we will see what we come up with for a contest. Mittsy has been donating to the newbie box for as long as I have had the newbie box everyone she makes beautiful newbie seed packets and gifts and regifts. She has always been a strong supporter!! Thank you Mittsy again.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
2:50 AM

Post #9628063

I finished digging the peachy apricot daylilies yesterday and have them trimmed and waiting in a bucket of rainwater. They'll make a nice addition to someones garden.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2013
2:54 AM

Post #9628066

Wow! That's a lot of work Mittsy. Thanks for being such a good example. Something to strive for. ;)

I'm not downsizing but I think I should be. :/

We rent the house we are in, with idiots for landlords in a lovely neighborhood. Besides, WHEN (almost said if/when) I finish my masters degree in the spring there is a very real chance we may leave this garden. -sigh-

It's particularly hard this year to fathom because my efforts at making a garden for wildlife are so successful that a neighbor jokes it's like a Disney cartoon ...is it Snow White where the critters are hopping around and helping her do her chores? We are particularly fond of the baby bunnies who have become young adults and whose mom a spent the winter behind the shed.

Oops!

Wanted to post this offer for free seeds:

http://www.butterfliesetc.com/free-butterfly-host-and-nectar-plant-seeds.html

You know how I am with the butterfly garden. ;)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9628121

Mom skunk was killed crossing the road but these cuties made it with a little supplemental feeding. Four little ones. Here's chippie, another frequent visitor.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9628149

Oh, Mittsy, I think I'm in love. :)
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9628222

I was very surprised to see them out in the daytime foraging through my compost pile. I enjoyed their company for three weeks then they became the nocturnal animals they are supposed to be. One of the unusual things they did enjoy eating was rhubarb custard pie. We had a lot of rain and the grass was quite high, when they would dig for grubs, they'd get tangled up in the grass and fall over. So cute.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2013

Post #9634077

Good morning Mittsy, Amanda and RJ:)- been busy here and sounds like you all have, too! I love the skunks-adorable-so sorry about their mom! Amanda Leaving your garden is sad, but you will soon have a new Disney yard- I'm sure:)! Got to run-being drowned in monsoon rains-all night and this morning- need to rescue my pots:)! Happy Gardening!
A few new optimara pretties-I adore! Found these at a Lowe's while on job with Jay-wish it was closer by us.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9634095

The contest is a go so I should probably post some pictures of the prize. They are a registered variety but unfortunately the name was not passed along to me with the plants. I do know that they came from Jackson and Perkins and that it was probably after 1966 because that is when we moved to this house. I have had them in several spots on the property and they seem to do well most everywhere that I have planted them.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2013
3:45 AM

Post #9636897

They are beautiful Mittsy thank you for the generous offer. I will be posting a new thread to start off the newbie games . I will post the thread here so no one will miss it!!
Amanda found some free seeds and Mittsy has baby skunks ...so cute by the way Mittsy, I love my African violets to Bells though I have cut back on new ones, just no more room in here!!
Some of mine over the years have lost their tags or were here when I got here too but I love them just the same!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9637801

I think I have it!! Bring your friends and neighbors !! I will post the link to the contest in just a moment!! I am using the latin name of a flower as I always did and I am even going to give you a hint this time!!
The winner must provide.
1. the Latin Name spelled correctly
2. the common name
3. Where the hint came from
Research, research, research!! Its just like digging in the garden the more you do the more you need to do!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9637805

...the suspense is KILLING me...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9637809

I'm ready.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2013
3:42 AM

Post #9637816

Here it is!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330356
Come on over!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9637886

Where did you two go??? Is it too hard? Did you already figure it out Amanda?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9639021

We have a winner!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330356
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 26, 2013
9:35 PM

Post #9642444

Hi All - Been very busy this summer. As some of you know, I started a little gardening business last year, and this is the first full year, so I have made a few mistakes. I am taking customers, mostly by word of mouth, and I will do their planting, weeding trimming etc. It has been a real learning experience, especially since this is a job after retirement to supplement my small pension.
I have a question for you. I have a beautiful fushia that I would like to keep over the winter, do any of you know how I could do this?
I sometimes lurk late at night to catch up. Hope no one has been caught up in all the flooding or fires.
Also, could someone please start a new thread, this one is so long now that it sometimes freezes up my stupid computer. Thanks Sandra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2013
2:08 AM

Post #9642515

Good Morning Sandra, I would be glad to start a new thread I will be back with the link.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the new endeavor every day is a learning day!! I used to just bring my fushia in over my long cold winter.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2013
2:29 AM

Post #9642522

Me too, they will over winter inside.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9642669

Here is the new thread!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330941/
look for the bee!! :)

Thumbnail by arejay59

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America