-
AuthorContent
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9415355

The part about the percolator made me smile. I grew up around percolated coffee - there was always a pot on the stove, but I wasn't allowed to drink it ("it will ruin your skin"). By afternoon, the stuff in the pot would become so thick that friends who stopped by would take their cups to the sink and add hot water to it. That's the way coffee was done on the farm back in the day. Even though it was off limits for us younguns, I did sneak a taste. YUK! It was awful! I didn't become a coffee drinker until I was in college and had a cup of really good coffee at a banquet at an upscale restaurant. What a revelation! I can still remember that moment as clearly as if it was today. Coffee, hot, black, and ...DELICIOUS! Who knew??? Been addicted ever since.

If you are in or near Savannah, GA, do try Savannah Coffee Roasters, currently available at Publix. Right now Savannah Seduction is my addiction. That and Joeffreys are my favorites, but I'll try any new brand that comes down the pike at least once.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

February 13, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9417779

Glad it brought back some good memories :)
I still have a percolator...took me forever, scrounging yard sales, but I have it...and I use when I crave that real, put hair on your chest, coffee taste.
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

February 16, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9421446

Goodness sakes! My grandmother had a percolator that she kept going all day. She made coffee so strong it would rise up out of the cup and slap you in the mouth if you said a bad word! I always told her, "Nana, I'm just not the woman you are," as I would be adding water to a half cup of her coffee.

We had a percolator, too. Good memories! However, like JoAnn, I didn't develop a taste for coffee until my early 20's and then it was a cup of McDonald's with creamer that got me hooked.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Coffee-aholic Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article pbtxlady 36 Mar 14, 2010 4:00 PM
Great article! doccat5 6 Feb 18, 2008 3:58 PM
Great article LavinaMae 0 Feb 15, 2008 11:37 PM
coffee-yuck momsey 0 Feb 18, 2008 3:06 PM
What timing! JuneyBug 0 Mar 3, 2010 4:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America