Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Winter Sowing Cleome

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9415423

Greetings Winter Sowing Friends,
Well, I'm trying again this year. I want some of those beautiful purple cleome that I had in the garden year before last. I understand the cleome can be a particularly difficult seed to germinate. I am using seed that I collected in 2011, recycling potting soil, (microwaving first), and placing the seeds in 16 ounce water bottle, (I cut holes in the bottom).
Does anyone have any methods that they found successful they care to share:)
Please Let Me Know,
Cheers!
Marlene
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 11, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9415617

Marlene,
here... you just have to let them go to seed and the critters pop up ----everywhere! I am not sure why in your neck of the woods there is problems.. what your plan is sounds like a winner. But, I would sow some seed directly after frost danger is past as well ---just to see and to save yourself some extra work next year if it does well.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9415705

I agree... I have volunteers all over the place from just one or two plants I let go to seed. I have also started them indoors on the past with great results. They are not fussy and germinate quickly in my experience.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9416184

Same here I just toss out the seeds. I figure that when they self sow they go thru freezing temps, I've never started them always direct sowed so I can't tell if the ones that come up are from the ones I've tossed or from last year's flowers.
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9424758

Thanks All, I'm not sure why I have a problem either. Year before last I purchased a few, and thought that I would have volunteers galore, so I didn't bother planting any deliberately. Last year 3 came back but they were in shady places so I transplanted them into more sun. They died.
I read someplace that they needed weather changes to germiniate. I'm hoping that our constantly changing weather will do the trick this year:)
Thanks Again,
Cheers!
Marlene
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9424956

I've learned to not move anything, unless it's really in the way, I figure if it decided to grow there it's happy. Some of mine grow in part shade, no problem.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 20, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9425471

Cleome serrulata grows from reseeding itself here.
It has smaller flower than the showy ones.
I might try them as a WS this year as they do not do all that well when started in the house.
I am not sure as to whether the seeds that I have purchased are any good.
Caroline
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9425600

Cleomes come right up in the house for me. I usually don't start them until mid-to late April for planting out at the end of May. They get tall very fast in the house unless you have tons of light.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America