Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Spanish Liqorice

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MrGibson
Melbourne
Australia

February 11, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9416044

Hello all!

First post here..Wondering if anyone has grown it, basically after some specific tips -

- Has anyone grown it indoors (Hydroponic etc..)?
- Also if growing in soil, has anyone tried raising the ppm's and the ph to see if it responds differently, thus giving a larger yield?

I have some just popped up outside at the moment, and fed it a 1/4 strength dose of organic fert and added a scoop of Mycorrhizae, so far so good using this method, i intend on cloning it and trying out other methods hence the weird questions. :)

Cheers.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9417545

Welcome to DG Mr Gibson.

I grow Helichrysum petiolare in baskets and containers with mixed plantings. I find it to be a rather short-lived perennial...even with winter greenhousing the plant declines in the 3rd to 4th year. I have found it does best with pH values that are neutral to just slightly alkaline as it's native habitat is poor rocky/sandy soil.

I do not think hydroponics would suit it as it is very susceptible to root rot in wet soils and seems to prefer to dry out some between waterings. It grows well from cuttings and from seeds.I have found it responds to light, infrequent fertilization. So the 1/4 to 1/2 strength mix is best. I learned from poor experience that it does not care for regular bi-monthly use of full strength water soluble...the plant seemed to ramp up its growth and over-tax itself... (it sorta grew itself to death) Many of the sites I have searched say to plant in rich organic soil, but to assure very sharp drainage. It is a rather drought tolerant plant and will do well in light shade to full sun.

http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/helichryspet.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America